PDA

View Full Version : "Getting out of dark ages". mod!

AnthoniusII
01-24-2009, 15:17
Complete Byzantine Unit Roster proudly announce that it will be the basis of a "medeival"
mod of ETW!!!

F.A.Q.

Q:What is the mod's time frame?
A:The time frame will be the era of the main conflict of Romans and Bulgarians (900-1025)
but the mod will end in 1066 with the invasion of Normans in England!

Q:What is the "map" that will be used for the mod?
A:The same as most M2TW mods...
We want to show the muslim world of that era and the 1st states of the Vikings in eastern
europe that later will become strong players to european politics!

Q:What will be the real new feature of this mod compering to others?
A:The ships...We intand to recreate atleast the main types of the meideval ships that
used those times and reconstruct the medeival naval wars!
Factions that relied their survival in their naval forces and NEVER been in a M2TW roster
will be present like "The Muslim Prinscipality of Chandax" in the island of Crete..

PS:The FAQ will be updated regulary.

CBUR project begins a competition in medeival Ships models!!!
All modelers should practice a lot ....

The competition will start at March 1st of this year...

Ships:
Dromon
Fire Dromon
Cog
50 and 70 feet Viking ships
Dow
Early Italian Galey

All researchers that have picks or designs or models of those ships post them here (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=216274)!

The Roman(byzantine)and arabic ships will be the most dificult becouse
they must be equipted with balistas,catapults and the byzantine ones with repeating arrow throwers and siphons(fire Dromons)...

This competition refairs to a future mod in ETW...!
We must wait and see 1st the naval batlle mechanism of CA and them modify the ships...

lenin96
01-25-2009, 05:48
Sounds great, can we have a faction list?

AnthoniusII
01-25-2009, 12:52
Soon as we can find the real number of the faction slots!:2thumbsup:
We will update this thread reguraly...
Even the title is not the final one...
I wrote it to help people to understand the era we will focus!:beam:

lenin96
01-25-2009, 13:00
I suspect no hardcoded faction slots, or at least a very high one.:beam:

AnthoniusII
01-26-2009, 16:58
I suspect no hardcoded faction slots, or at least a very high one.:beam:
I beleive that the factions will be atleast as many as M2TW...
For a accurate answer we must see what CA will allow us first....:inquisitive:

Megas Methuselah
01-27-2009, 03:39
About 50 factions will be available. No province limit.

Sir Beane
01-27-2009, 12:58
About 50 factions will be available. No province limit.

I'm drooling just thinking about the mods that can be made with this. A bigmap mod or Regions and Provinces with no limit on regions and fifty factions to work with. We could see a mod that was truly epic in scope.

AnthoniusII
01-27-2009, 19:19
If the faction limit will be the number of 50 then we could have realism at last!!!
Civil wars for the most of the factions via the shadow factions abillity!:2thumbsup:

Focusing in the Europe/middle east settlements limit was not a real problem...
But it would give us the opportunity to have urban centers and their villages in a region!!!
Afcourse no Castles as settlements...remamber that feudalistic way of administration was
not in use those days...But north europeans must have the abillity to build wooden forts and
the south europeans and easterns stone ones...See the stone forts in the Roman/Sassanid conflicts!

But again..."rebuilging"(moddeling)the settlements and the ships will be the real chalenge!:yes:

ConnMon
01-28-2009, 14:00
Sounds great! I agree with those above me, that with endless provinces and 50 factions to work with, there are no bounds.

Lord Nelson
01-30-2009, 17:47
Erm not to be a total buzz killer or anything and maybe you were asleep when they brought it out. So I'm just checking, you are aware that there already is a medeival total war.... two of them in fact AND a viking one. So Why on earth would you want to make yet ANOTHER version of a game we have already played.? I thought the idea was to move forward in time not back...AGAIN. Just a thought...

Sir Beane
01-30-2009, 19:17
Erm not to be a total buzz killer or anything and maybe you were asleep when they brought it out. So I'm just checking, you are aware that there already is a medeival total war.... two of them in fact AND a viking one. So Why on earth would you want to make yet ANOTHER version of a game we have already played.? I thought the idea was to move forward in time not back...AGAIN. Just a thought...

There are many, many reasons why modders should make another version of Medieval. Empire has a new engine, Empire allows more provinces, Empire allows more factions, it has better graphics, better animation, better physics. So why not make use of that for a truly spectacular Medieval mod?

And I think you'll find that virtually every member of the Org is well aware that Medieval 1 and 2 exist.

And no the idea isn't to move forwards in time. Shogun was set later than Medieval, Rome was earlier than Medieval, Empire is later than Shogun. CA don't move forwards in time, they move back and forth from one interesting time period to the next. Otherwise we'd end up having a TW game set in the future in a few years.

Megas Methuselah
01-31-2009, 03:40
Also M2TW was vastly dissapointing. Thank God FactionHeir came up with his brilliant VanillaMod...

AnthoniusII
01-31-2009, 23:33
The M2TW engine did not allow the players the most important of MTW, had, feature....
The civil wars!!!
The faction limit was to small to create "shadow" factions (like RTW/BI)....
The civil wars were very often in most of medieval kingdoms...
A good player in M2TW could conquer the whole world in very few turns...
Plus that a player could not "play" a medeival naval battle!!!
ETW engine is most interesting with the vast faction limit becouse it will allow us to create
"shadow" factions for most of the kingdoms...
That way historical events like the "Dukes" rebelion in England or the successors wars in HRE,or the constent civil wars in "Byzantine" empire will give the game the ultimate realism...
Plus the "unlimited" region settlements will allow us to create the medeival world more accurate...
Think...a village that could become a motte and bailey and could have the same time two villages as part of the same province...The same time in the south europe and midlle east a vast number of urban centers to present accuratly the diference of the poppulation growth in those times...

The game will have more accurate goals (not 60 provinces to qonquer)with that engine...:2thumbsup:

Allu X
02-15-2009, 20:25
This'll be fantastic! I'd love to help out if you need it,

Question: although early days, how will the man in the pointy hat who answers to "Pope" be implemented?

Chloe
02-15-2009, 23:15
Hai Anthonius! CBUR FTW:yes:

ratbarf
02-17-2009, 00:41
I would guess that Empire Total War will still have a Pope figure as the Papal states where still big in Italy during the era and while his influence with the Protestant nations has diminished its not like mister pointy hat went away.

AnthoniusII
02-17-2009, 10:36
Here you can see the M2TW version of the mod...(that's right we are creating a M2TW quide for the ETW PROJECT)...
https://img264.imageshack.us/img264/7735/mapmod3xxln1.jpg
The part of the map in the yellow block will be for the 1st release and the rest for the 2nd one!
Edit: Yes there will be a Pope but not as you know him in M2TW !
The Pope may gave the title of the Emperor to "Germans" but still this era asks help from the
"official" Roman Emperor that stations in Constantinople..
There are NO CATHOLIC AND ORTHODOX christianity separation because simply it did not exist...

AnthoniusII
03-29-2009, 00:15
Some late news:
The modding team has started to develop the sceletons and animations of the medeival ships!
Stay around...news may apear anyday!:beam: