PDA

View Full Version : IH Ideas

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
01-30-2009, 16:51
Hey All,

I got some ideas for some new IH's.

How about we do a IH in the late 1400's or do another IH in the 1500/Early 1600's again?

Anyone be up for the challage?

Franconicus
01-30-2009, 16:59
Where? Europe or America or Asia?

Reformation might be intersting, esp. in the HRE!

01-30-2009, 18:00
Europe.

In Late 1400's, we got the France and HRE disputes in Italy (with the Swiss at their peak :clown:) and in the 1500's, we got the reformation :yes:.

Jolt
01-30-2009, 19:21
What about Three Kingdoms IH? That would be truly awesome.

Paradox
01-30-2009, 20:06
What about Three Kingdoms IH? That would be truly awesome.
There is already one here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91320), nobody has ever taken over since. I would, but I'm not experienced enough to become an IH host.

AggonyDuck
01-30-2009, 20:08
To be honest I'd recommend something self-contained with a good chance for conclusion. Europe in any age is something on a grand scale and there's very little chance for proper conclusion. Internal power struggles on the other hand are something where a conclusion could be in sight. Civil with several parties could be very interesting. A very interesting idea could be the Russian Civil War(1917-1921), due to the involvement of several sides and loose coalitions. Add to that foreign involvements and you might have a potentially very fruitful scenario. That said it would be a very ambitious idea research-wise and add to that the fact that we're dealing with a time far more complicated than 16th century Europe and you have a lot of work on your hands. There's social, political, military and economical factors at play, which could make prediction very hard work.

AggonyDuck
01-30-2009, 20:18
Another interesting scenario could be the Wars of the Diadochi, due to the fact that uniting the realm of Alexander is something that is realistically attainable.

01-30-2009, 20:41
To be honest I'd recommend something self-contained with a good chance for conclusion. Europe in any age is something on a grand scale and there's very little chance for proper conclusion. Internal power struggles on the other hand are something where a conclusion could be in sight. Civil with several parties could be very interesting. A very interesting idea could be the Russian Civil War(1917-1921), due to the involvement of several sides and loose coalitions. Add to that foreign involvements and you might have a potentially very fruitful scenario. That said it would be a very ambitious idea research-wise and add to that the fact that we're dealing with a time far more complicated than 16th century Europe and you have a lot of work on your hands. There's social, political, military and economical factors at play, which could make prediction very hard work.

Maybe a Polish/Austrian War of Sucession or the Polish/Ukrianin War in the 1600's with Poland and the Cossacks and such. It would have a good chance of getting done. :clown:

Good Ideas! But only need someone to do it now.... :laugh4:

Flavius Clemens
01-30-2009, 23:17
It would probably take a huge amount of work to do properly (and I have a strong preference for IHs that at least feel historically plausible in their set up and execution) but the recent thread on 'what if the west had followed Patton's idea of attacking the USSR at the conclusion of WWII' would make for a fascinating scenario.

Caius
01-31-2009, 00:36
There was an interesting IH called the NATO - Warsaw pact conflict, which is similar.

Flavius Clemens
01-31-2009, 17:37
There was an interesting IH called the NATO - Warsaw pact conflict, which is similar.

True, but it was set rather later (and at the time I was too busy to consider joining it). I was thinking more of something starting in 1945 which was the gist of https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=111163.

Jolt
02-01-2009, 14:46
There is already one here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91320), nobody has ever taken over since. I would, but I'm not experienced enough to become an IH host.

The IH would have to take place further ahead, when there weren't so many warlords. Like, after Chi Bi, when Liu Bei took control of Jing Bei. You'd have Sun Quan, Liu Bei, Gongsun Du, Cao Cao, Zhang Lu, Ma Teng/Chao, the four Jing Nan warlords, and Liu Zhang. The four Jing Nan warlords could be RP'd by the host, making it exactly 7 players being able to play. The host could also RP Gongsun Du, narrowing it down to 6. Perfect for a IH. :)

King Kurt
02-02-2009, 13:30
I wonder if sometimes we aim too high in what we attempt. I have been an active player in many of the IHs in recent years and they seem to fall into 2 sorts - large multi player campaigns with no defined end or smaller campaign focused ones where the players are one side and the organiser is the other.

The big campaigns are great fun - 17 th century, cold war, Kage's japanesse, Carpetians to mention a few - but the dependenence of all players to keep the same level of interest as well as the ever increasing pressure on the organiser seems to mean that they reach a conclusion as they seem to implode after so long.

The smaller, campaign ones - I am thinking here in particular of the IHs from Kraxis and Franconius - engender a good level of debate, the timetable is controlled by one person, not the slowest player and they do normaly come to a conclusion.

I suppose what I am saying is that it would be nice to have a couple of the campaign focused IHs running again - from memory Franc's red heat was the last one to go the distance as Kraxis's most recent effort has stalled presumably due to real life intervening - as they do provide a good contrast to the multi player IHs. I wouldn't want the larger ones to stop - I still enjoy those immensely, but a good, history based short campaign would be complementry to the rigours of the big IHs. Perhaps it is time to do my Midway IH that I have had in my mind for a few years?????

AggonyDuck
02-02-2009, 20:19
I still enjoy those immensely, but a good, history based short campaign would be complementry to the rigours of the big IHs. Perhaps it is time to do my Midway IH that I have had in my mind for a few years?????

So you've had that in mind as well? It's propably one of the best scenarios for an IH. I would had done it myself if I could write well and actually have the time to do the research. Anyway if you could pull it off, I'm certain that it would be a success, simply because it is a very fertile campaign to speculate about. It's the 'what if's' that are the driving force behind Interactive Histories. :2thumbsup:

02-02-2009, 20:36
Sounds like a good idea KK :clown: :yes:.

Flavius Clemens
02-02-2009, 21:43
I suppose what I am saying is that it would be nice to have a couple of the campaign focused IHs running again

Yes, I'd second that.

For those suggesting Midway, which side were you thinking of the org playing - US or Japan?

King Kurt
02-03-2009, 13:52
My idea - without giving too much away - is for the org to be the Japanese. The campaign will occur in the same time period but in a slightly different set of circumstances. I was thinking of giving people certain roles - and individual objectives - within the Japanesse forces. Decisions will be by debate on the board/ majority rule etc within a time scale.

I have had the idea for some time - the biggest draw back - not enough hours in the day!!! However as it seems popular, I will see what I can do.

02-03-2009, 17:20
My idea - without giving too much away - is for the org to be the Japanese. The campaign will occur in the same time period but in a slightly different set of circumstances. I was thinking of giving people certain roles - and individual objectives - within the Japanesse forces. Decisions will be by debate on the board/ majority rule etc within a time scale.

I have had the idea for some time - the biggest draw back - not enough hours in the day!!! However as it seems popular, I will see what I can do.

Like the Celtica IH?

Or, I got 3 more ideas. We could do a IH, like a Crimean War IH, but only add in the nations involve,Russia,Turks,English, France,Sadinia (Maybe Austria to just to make it intersting) and that's it, so that not to many faction.

My 2nd Idea is this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_war_of_Kappel

Like the Capetian IH so to speak, allow just some of the Swiss Cantons.

Or the 3rd and Final one, me and my brother spoke about this last night. A US Civi lWar IH. Allow Unino and Confedaters, UK and France. Then Allow Someone to play as Lee and Grant. Then it won't be as hard to do as the Sengoku one for example.

Caius
02-07-2009, 00:59
It would probably take a huge amount of work to do properly (and I have a strong preference for IHs that at least feel historically plausible in their set up and execution) but the recent thread on 'what if the west had followed Patton's idea of attacking the USSR at the conclusion of WWII' would make for a fascinating scenario.
I would join for the USSR, then.

Flavius Clemens
02-07-2009, 18:15
I would join for the USSR, then.

Just to be clear I wasn't offering to run this myself!! I don't have anything like the time needed to research and run an IH, rather than just playing, and I have great respect for the masters of the art that do run them.