PDA

View Full Version : Unit Banner Modification

Tomisama
02-01-2009, 15:40
Ok, how possible would it be to bring the unit faction banners down to say about the size of a MTW/VI general’s unit flag (in other words more realistic)?

And maybe making them reflect unit type by their shape? Not that it is hard to tell infantry from cavalry and artillery units, but at a distance there might be some advantage.

The only problem I see with the shaping is conflict with upgrade flags, but they are smaller than what I am considering for the unit banner (and could be just a single color pennat).

I am not a moder so am asking for expert evaluation of the above.

What do you think?

https://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/tomisama/Reduced.jpg

Maybe something like this, only better (qiuck drawing) :wink:

https://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/tomisama/Reduced3.jpg

Mailman653
02-01-2009, 21:00
Or maybe we can get rid of them all together, we do have standard bearers now :yes:

CBR
02-02-2009, 01:14
Removing them with a quick edit of the preference file is of course one way of doing it. I hope upgrades play as small a role as possible in MP.

CBR

Tomisama
02-02-2009, 01:25
Or maybe we can get rid of them all together, we do have standard bearers now :yes:

You will probably be able to turn them off, but flags are as helpful in scaled fighting, as they are in real battle. This is especially true of the newer hires games, where troops are less de-visible from their backgrounds at times. And doubly true in real time battles, when there is no time to do an identification mouse-over.

Plus there is the added bonus of being able to tell at a glance if units are routing, as their flags turn white.

I personally would like to see the return of the waving banner (up and down), showing when units were selected. This would get rid of glowing ground arrows that I also find spoil the mood.

You see I cherish those special moments when I forget I am playing a game, and become so immersed that I feel as though I am there, in the battle for real. Things like oversized banners, green arrows, and flash cuts, break the spell. And I would rather do without them.

CBR
02-02-2009, 01:29
You can remove the green arrows too in the pref file. That was one of the first things I did in RTW.

I do hope they make some better 2D sprites compared to what we had in the RTW/M2TW. Enough with blurred blobs that sometimes didn't even have the right colours!

CBR

Monk
02-02-2009, 20:57
I haven't turned off the unit banners, ever. But i'll be making an exception for ETW. They are just far too large, how can I enjoy watching a desperate charge to save a flank when those banners are blocking my view! :help:

Noir
02-03-2009, 20:32
They could actually keep the bottom flags only - not only they seem closer to an appropriate size - they also indicate the unit type - square is infantry/wedge cavalry/two tips artillery.

The faction flags seem much worse in out of proportioness than M2 as Monk says.

Barkhorn1x
02-09-2009, 19:41
My pet peeve is not with the banners - I am an SP only guy and I always turn them - and arrows - off as nothing kills immersion more than huge bobbing sheets of canvas. :thumbsdown:

What I do not like is that the battle flags are small and rectangular when, for this period, they should be LARGE and SQUARE and there should be two of them. :yes:

Here's hoping that one of you talented gentlemen can come up with a proper flag mod.