PDA

View Full Version : Planned Version 0.01 of VEM

pevergreen
02-04-2009, 13:56
Changelog to do:
Make all factions playable.
Extend number of turns.
Rebalance ships (build time/cost upkeep)

Suggestions welcome, it looks really bad and small right now. :laugh4:

Fisherking
02-04-2009, 14:45
Just a question to get you started.

Do you plan to extend the number of turns by increasing the number of turns per year, or extending the time of the game?

Both seem desirable to me, but the second might prove a bit harder…only wondering.

pevergreen
02-04-2009, 15:08
To start with, the actual time of the game. 100 years just does not seem right to me.

Most likely until 1820-1850. Something that works. 2 turns a year gives you 300 turns or so. With the increased province count coming with the map, hopefully you'll need it.

Meneldil
02-04-2009, 17:51
Given that most countries are represented by between 1 and 3 provinces, I'm not sure the province count will be that much higher than in RTW/M2TW, even while counting in India and the Americas.

Sir Beane
02-04-2009, 18:08
I wonder how moddable the technology tree will be?

Because if it you are able it might be nice to incrase the number of technologies in the game. I'm sure people here at the Org can dig up loads of interesting historical tech to include. :2thumbsup:

It would also make the extra fifty years you plan to add on more interesting. :laugh4:

Perhaps you could also add more 'naval only' trade theatres into areas if you extend the map.

pevergreen
02-05-2009, 01:25
There certainly is a lot to do, but not much I can do without the game. :laugh4:

Keep the ideas coming!

woad&fangs
02-05-2009, 02:43
Changing it to 4 seasons per year would be a welcome addition. I'm not sure if that was what you meant by extend # of turns. :bow:

peacemaker
02-05-2009, 05:54
what about the little things in the campaign map? Like landbridges or mountains or stuff where the AI seems stuck. Oh and possibly unit stat rebalancing?

pevergreen
02-05-2009, 06:36
Changing it to 4 seasons per year would be a welcome addition. I'm not sure if that was what you meant by extend # of turns. :bow:

That too, is an option.

Map work may be a little too indepth, in terms of redoing mountains and such, but freeing up chokepoints is a good idea. As for landbridges, I think only in a few places, as the emphasis is still on your navy.

Megas Methuselah
02-05-2009, 19:13
Are any sort of landbridges neccesary? We should see how the AI does with naval invasions in the game first. Just a thought. :beam:

pevergreen
02-06-2009, 01:14
Well, up in Denmark area from M2TW, it makes sense to just have those as landbridges. just some places like that, methinks.

ULC
02-06-2009, 02:28
Considering this will be using topographical data of the earth surface, actually redoing the physical appearance will likely not be necessary.

What in general I'd like to see is to see more personalization per faction. For instance, the "Rake" is a more English definition of a scoundrel, so why not have say the Russian or Austrian equivalent for their "scoundrels"?

pevergreen
02-06-2009, 09:20
AS gave me an idea. Possibly extending the amount of time it takes to fight, so lowering damage. Not lowering speed, as firing lots is fun, but perhaps just having less casualties on each volley.

Sir Beane
02-06-2009, 13:54
AS gave me an idea. Possibly extending the amount of time it takes to fight, so lowering damage. Not lowering speed, as firing lots is fun, but perhaps just having less casualties on each volley.

Looking at the videos so far this might not be needed, volleys already seem to kill few people.

If you lower damage too much guns may become pointless and the game might end up devolving into Medieval 2 with rifle butts. In-depth testing of this particular idea would be required I think.

pevergreen
02-06-2009, 14:58
As always, testing is the key. I'm not going to rush in and demand nerfs. :laugh4:

Sir Beane
02-06-2009, 17:55
As always, testing is the key. I'm not going to rush in and demand nerfs. :laugh4:

Good good. :2thumbsup: Just felt like pointing it out since ineffective guns is actually one of my worries about ETW.

Making suggestions will be so much easier when a game or a demo has come out. :laugh4:

Fisherking
02-11-2009, 13:11
I wanted to point this out to you. It doesn’t sound like the best of news. But there may be some other way around…

I do have some additional facts, gentleman. Taken from a german preview and "total war zone":

Campaign map:
Founding of new cities isn't possible. You can play as long as you wish after the game ends. But without new tasks or technologies.

Modding:
New file system. There is no longer a "descr_strat.txt". More options for modding, but not easier: I idn't really understand thamis answer - i think it was meant this way, his answer was imprecisely on purpose.

Mange tak to Thamis, "Total War Zone" forums and 4players.de :2thumbsup:

What do you think?

pevergreen
02-11-2009, 14:52
I will figure out how to mod it, never fear.

The new cities stuff, I already knew. It simply means you cannot make a province/city in game. So you can't go found New York or whatever.

Skullheadhq
02-12-2009, 16:57
Voicemods?

pevergreen
02-12-2009, 17:08
Hrmmm that could be a very very good idea. I could grab my new voice artists from the .org! :laugh4:

That would be awesome!

Sir Beane
02-12-2009, 20:13
Hrmmm that could be a very very good idea. I could grab my new voice artists from the .org! :laugh4:

That would be awesome!

That would be a lot of fun! :2thumbsup:

It would also help satisfy some of the fans asking for realistic accents for all factions. And it would allow factions that may have decent accents (like Britain) to have a bit of variety.

I'll volunteer if you ever need someone to do English accents.

Monk
02-14-2009, 09:53
I would offer my voice to a voicemod, however all i could manage is something that is decidedly American. :laugh4:

The Holy Pilgrim
03-07-2009, 00:39
Make all factions playable.

By Make all factions playable, do you mean for both custom battles and the campaign, or just the campaign?~:confused:

pevergreen
03-07-2009, 02:08
As of now, doing either will be very very hard.

Most likely just for campaign, but we will see.

Crian
03-09-2009, 21:29
Am I the only one who finds everything as too fast? The infantry run like horses, and the cavalry are as fast as race cars!

Please, the speed...

pevergreen
03-09-2009, 21:42
I havent found issue with it, when they run, they run, but they tire fast.

Its more realistic than RTW, thats for sure.

Mailman653
03-10-2009, 06:53
Am I the only one who finds everything as too fast? The infantry run like horses, and the cavalry are as fast as race cars!

Please, the speed...

IMO, the Native American's run like horses. I understand they don't carry much but sometimes it seems as if they can out run my cavalry. And even if they do tire out quick they still fight with quite a ferocity.

richyg13
03-10-2009, 09:24
They do seem a little fast on the whole, more so when you consider they're trying to keep formation...

I think they need to be moved to around 80% to 90% of their current speed.

Crian
03-10-2009, 16:51
Take a closer look, on normal terrain the infantry already seem to slide a little even when just marching. It's only when they're on snow that the speed seems "normal", but still a tad too fast IMO. I think the snow default speed minus ~15% should be the default speed for grass, while the present snow speed should be even slower.

Of course, just my opinion... but really look closely! It's like they're on fast forward especially the cavalry! :dizzy2:

Beskar
03-10-2009, 18:30
There is no problem with the speed, just slow the game down on the speed thing, if you want them to move slower. Just like how you can make them faster as well.

Though one of the map changes I would like to see, is Switzerland being added to the game.

pevergreen
03-11-2009, 09:55
Already planned.

Hermes1705
03-11-2009, 19:50
One thing that was kind of annoying for me was the way we resupply our armies right now. On my accounts that is one of the things that makes the game become so easy.

I don't dislike the ideia of resuppling within enemy territories or away from home, but i think that in order to do that you should need to keep your supply lines open. Mostly i think we could consider that if the enemy camps any point of the road your supplies would have been cut and you will not be able to reinforce your troops simply by clicking on the resupply button. That would make patrols more interesting if the AI decided to take advantage of that.

Any chance of using that ideia?

pevergreen
03-11-2009, 22:20
They already intercept reinforcing units. I had the Crimean Khanate sidestep my main army and attack all of its reinforcements the were en route.

Dradem
03-12-2009, 15:34
The voicecommands don't seem an issue maybe getting a few faults out but then you have to have people that speak the language. I heard the Danish speak a bit German (my Danish isn't great and I now somethings are simular to german so it could be that there is no fault) , a friend of mine said that there where a few with the language a bit of. Bit i like the fact that a lot of nations speak there own language.

Would it be possible to at theaters, Africa, South America etc. Maybe changing a few of the trade centers so that they don't conflict with the added regions? Or would this be to hard to do?

Need to check this didn't look for it in the code yet
:coffeenews: note to self check this (if not to busy playing this weekend)

Mailman653
03-23-2009, 21:18
I was thinking if there was a way to influence elections for Republics. For instance in M2TW you could vote on Papal elections and you would get a bonus if your cannidate won. Id like to see something similiar for ETW assuming the feature is hidden away some where.

For instance being able to back a cannidate for President and if he wins you get some kind of trait bonus for him, like popular leader or something similiar. Cause IMO, I can have a President and Cabinet full of monkeys and kangraroos and my country will run just fine. I know they have +- trait attributes to trade etc, but to be honest I really don't see them affecting me much.

pevergreen
03-24-2009, 10:34
The + to repression, research times and upkeep costs can be a huge bonus or defecit. I think they do need to be more pronounced though.

Melvish
03-24-2009, 19:28
I'm curious what will be the unit rebalance you'll use for land unit. I'm playing quite a bit with them lately. I've adopted the use of a range of 90 for line infantries and 100-125 for light infantry and up them to 120 soldiers size. Cannon are up to 500 too. I've put bow range on par with musket because i want to stress out that Amerindian dropped the use of bow and spear by 1759. It seem that they now recruit more musket armer warrior.

Here the link to my patch.pack (it is not done politically correct in light of JeromeGrasdyke post but i'll stick to that method until next patch)

edit: i've made change (again) last night, light inf is now 120 strenght, grenadier and dragoons 100. Cavalries 80, elite Cavalries stay at 60.

uPdAtEd (http://www.4shared.com/file/94886337/f4bd5304/patch.html)

pevergreen
03-28-2009, 02:18
Work begin tomorrow.

lenin96
03-28-2009, 04:52
Work begin tomorrow.

:thrasher:

ST0MPA
03-30-2009, 21:54
Personally I think the movement points should remain to allow the AI an opportunity to react to the player but i think the turns should be 12 turns per year. of course all building/technology's/recruiting should be adjusted to 12tpy, a bit long you may think, but I think it would be more realistic and when a script is figured out how to adjust the seasons appropriately I will endeavor to create such a mod.

pevergreen
04-11-2009, 00:18
Just an update,

I'm still getting buggered over by a few things, but should have it sorted today.

First release will just be the unlock plus a few minor tweaks for balance.

edit: I also found where to change how many building slots a city gets.

pevergreen
04-11-2009, 09:25
Balance changes will come soon, the colours will be the main changes, and as such, I need more.

If possible, RGB values will help.

The map colour and the battlecolours are the two that I'm changing, still working out secondary colours for the battlemap etc.

The colour of units on the campaign map can be changed.