PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis - Total War

Vuk
02-15-2009, 16:05
This is not a mod that I am planning on making for sure, just an idea that I had. If any experienced modders are seriously interested in making it with me, I would be glad to set out a plan with them and devote my full attention to it. I can skin and do a lot with txt files, not sure exactly what the new engine will be like, but I am sure I could learn. Any way, I was thinking that ETW's addition of naval combat would be perfect for a fantasy mod like this. It would have to have a completely new map of course. There would be 4 factions, and new units for each. The strength of the mod would lie in the new naval units. There would be one faction with massive wooden structures that tower over everything with 5 decks and stuff. The second faction would rely on really small, fast, steam driven ironclads. The third faction would have living vessels. Things like big turtles with decks on them, and giant snails, and kewl stuff like that. It would probably be too hard/impossible to do something with tentacles. They would have as limited a crew as possible, and be heavy in ramming vessels.
I do not know what is possible yet, so I am just putting ideas out. The whole idea of a fantasy sea mod sounds a bit hard to do I know, but someone is gonna do it. ~;).
Also, the land combat could be very unique as well. The first faction would rely heavily on cheap cavalry and massive artilery bombardments. The second one would rely mostly on riflemen and earthworks. The third one would be least technologically advanced, and rely on smaller units or very good units. They could have monster units, large powerful and inaccuracte artillery, and monster cavalry. (stuff at least the size of an elephant, only armoured. I am thinking of land turtles and stuff. Maybe even turtles with cannons on their backs.)

It could be a very fun mod to make, and not as much work as it sounds. The main jobs would be making the units and the map, but the map would only be very small, and there would be very few units. Also, there would only be three factions. It would be small enough scale to be doable I think. I could probably think up a story line, design the factions and make some concept art in a day or two if anyone wanted to do it. I got some ideas for the factions already that would make them totally awesome.

If not, it was just a silly idea anyway, so no harm done. Tell me what you think.

Vuk

Allu X
02-15-2009, 16:09
I'll help, but how many mods are you making Vuk, and how would you share your time between them (reference to the other mod idea in this sub-forum)? :inquisitive:

Vuk
02-15-2009, 16:14
Do you have any experience modding/what can you do?
Vuk's mod is simply a set of tweaks that I usually do for the TW games to learn how to mod them. It usually takes me a week or less. (Took me one day for RTW) I do not think it will get in the way if I decide to do this mod. The real time spent is in research which I do before hand, and in game testing that my family does for me afterward. :P This is just an idea though, it will depend on whether or not I can get some real interest. If so, I think it could be awesome though.

Allu X
02-15-2009, 16:32
Aye it could be very interesting :P

What would the campaign map look like?

As for modding... well I can pretty much do anything besides modelling, - I'm very competent with texturing or creating other 2d textures, e.g. faction banners/symbols, and units skinning... also texting/scripting and general logic when it comes to what is realistic and what isn't (although that won't apply to this mod much :tumbleweed:) etc.

We'll have to see what the engine brings us in terms of modding ability before I see what I can do though, :) -

Vuk
02-15-2009, 16:41
Kewl, pretty much the same skills as me then. That is good, means I will not be doing all of that myself. ~;) Yeah, lots is still dependent on two things: People's interest, and the limitations of the engine. We will have to wait on the game's release to see about that. In the meanwhile (now that I know there is some interest), I can start on some serious concept.

Vuk

Vuk
02-17-2009, 17:34
Ok guys, this is a mod that Allu X and I are seriously planning now. We have a while yet to work out the details, and this is good, as the limitations of the game are not yet known. I hope to have a set plan no later than 2 weeks after the games release, and work can begin as soon as the modding tools are released. If anyone is interested, what we need now mainly is a modeller. Allu X and I can handle skinning and 2-d graphics, as well as probably all the scripting. What we also are in need of though will be a good mapper. If anyone is interested, post here.

Spartan198
02-19-2009, 03:57
What's your inspiration, the legend as told by Plato or something more original of your own conception?

I don't have any modding skills, but I have done a lot of research into Atlantean lore and I'm sure this imagination of mine can come up with at least a few unit ideas.

Vuk
02-19-2009, 06:10
What's your inspiration, the legend as told by Plato or something more original of your own conception?

I don't have any modding skills, but I have done a lot of research into Atlantean lore and I'm sure this imagination of mine can come up with at least a few unit ideas.

I am basing it completely on my own concept, but if you would like, feel free to send along your ideas.

Vuk
02-21-2009, 08:22
As I am no longer planning to buy Empire, I can not make this mod. I am sorry to anyone who was looking forward to it.