PDA

View Full Version : Remove the ranking system!

Bohemond
07-20-2002, 08:23
Many problems in this forum might be aggrevated or even caused by the ranking hierarchy.

It cannot be denied that some people look down on newcomers, consciously or not. Moreover, from the viewpoint of the rookie, it can be seen as a sort of humiliation: "We have been here since all time. This place belongs to us. You, however, are nothing."
Accusations of arrogance, for not being answered, not taken seriously etc. are the logical consequence. I felt many times like this and somehow still do, but I always come back for I somehow like the org. It still is a very informative forum and one that is frequented by intelligent people.

Spamming is another big issue for me. I think without the Ranking based on the number, not the quality of posts, and the need to improve ones status to be taken more serious, there would be much less spam. Spamming makes me angry and today I have made the mistake of flaming one of the culprits, but I came to and quickly removed the posting. (Will hopefully never happen again.) I did it myself, in the shameless thread long ago. I just couldn't stand the uncool Ashigaru icon and upped my counter until I was at least a Samurai. I do however, object to spamming in the normal threads.

Instead, everybody should be allowed to upload their own small icon, if they wish to.
In other forums this is possible, and most people don't use it anyway, because it's too much hassle.

Shiro
07-20-2002, 08:58
The ranking system has been abused - yes that is true. Still, I believe it is one of the more fun things about .org. Spam is spam is everyone knows who is guilty of it. The real contributing members of this board have been awarded custom icons for their efforts once they reach 500+. This system seems to have fallen into disuse but I think it will make a comeback under the new administration.

.Org historically has been very nice to the newbies. I can remember one of my first posts - it was a "hello there I'm Shiro" type thing. It was pointless but I was welcomed with open arms. People encouraged me to come online and ask questions. As time passed I came to be moderator here. Without those kind people I never would have stayed. What I really think we need is not to get rid of icons but to try and bring that wonderful spirit that everyone used to wax about.

.Org has always tried to look coordinated and if we let just everyone post any icon we would lose that. Secondly, having no icons would make us look just as ugly as .com (well not really - they have quite a forum over there http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/tongue.gif). I've had fun advancing through the ranking system and I know others have. Some people are already looking forward to a new batch of icons that will come with MTW.

Lastly, it's not uncool to be ronin or ashigaru. Everyone is at the beginning. Wear it as a badge of honor; every patron is important at .org. No one really thinks that your post count determines your status. It's all about not flaming and quality posts where you ask and answer questions and share in a love of total war.

I vote no! Stay with the system!

------------------
“Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.”
—Samuel Johnson
------------------
"Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense"
-Order of the Garter Motto

07-20-2002, 09:18
Yup I agree with you on the most part.

What someone mentioned (can't remember who) in another post was to have each clan with a different icon - if they wished, of course. This doesn't sound too bad an idea. I guess though, you could do this if everyone had their own icon. Clan members could just use the same icon.

The only major problem is that the forum admins would have so many files being uploaded and so much work to do. Especially for the first week or so. I don't think it's like EzBoard where you can upload icons manually and use them, I think the admin must give out the icons themselves.

BUT would this solve anything? I don't think so.

I think it's best to have a way of identifying a vet. That way a newbie can say "Ah look there's a guy who might be able to help me." Usually this happens, and usually the person gets a quick response from someone.

The other night was the only time this has not happened. Unfortuantely a lot of people took offence where originally a joke was intended. However someone should have noted that the post starter wasn't joking at all.

In summary, no I don't think the ranking needs to be changed for that reason.

I do believe it needs to be changed to stop people just posting endless shameless comments just to up their count. I sometimes think people just come here to post one line remarks, which help no-one. Their only goal to reach x amount of posts before another person.

------------------
The Soul

"What people do to other souls
They take their lives - destroy their goals
Their basic pride and dignity
Is stripped and torn and shown no pity....
When this could be Heaven for Everyone"
Queen - Heaven for Everyone

MaJesticSoul Sakai

07-20-2002, 09:23
LOL Shiro posted with me at same time. Ok. I meant I agreed with Bohemond in the other post.

But Shiro I don't entirely agree with you. I really don't see why players should be ranked by their posts if all they have done is spammed to get there. Perhaps spamming does help the org but I fail to see how? Perhaps my idea of fun is not going into the forums just to post meaningless replies. And why else are people here other than to have fun?

------------------
The Soul

MaJesticSoul Sakai

JAG
07-20-2002, 09:33
well some ppl like myself enjoy forums for seeing different views on things and having a laugh at the same time . .and that falls under spam i guess . .

i love whinding dp up for example and i think he enjoys doing it to me . .but that is classed as spam . .

------------------
"...but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive,
and the other would accept war rather than let it perish,
and the war came."

Abraham Lincoln, 2nd Inaugural Address
4 March 1865

Kurando
07-20-2002, 14:10
What someone mentioned (can't remember who) in another post was to have each clan with a different icon - if they wished, of course. This doesn't sound too bad an idea. I guess though, you could do this if everyone had their own icon. Clan members could just use the same icon.

Certainly an intersting idea, but it would not be fiesable programming-wise, sorry.

Just a note: in the past "spammers" have occasionally been dealt with by knocking their post counts back to zero if they are blatantly out to up their counts, or cause havok. It is not difficult to do this from a programming standpoint.

Additionally, it is of note that it is the immaturity of a certain percentage of patrons that is causing the spamming problems, and not the rank system itself.

To my mind ranks and icons are not inherently bad; in fact they are inherently good: they give the dojo a sharp and distinctive look + we've had a lot of fun with them over the years. And we have to keep in mind that if we get rid of them to save ourselves a few headaches we have in reality done nothing to address the immature attitudes that are actually causing the problems in the first place.

P.S. I am talking general concepts here and not pointing a finger at anyone in particular.

------------------
Pray for War...

Mithrandir
07-20-2002, 15:18
Just a note: in the past "spammers" have occasionally been dealt with by knocking their post counts back to zero if they are blatantly out to up their counts, or cause havok. It is not difficult to do this from a programming standpoint.

Kurando

your talk scares me http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif.

http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif.

------------------
Just aded another post :D
Mithrandir Poster of usefull information and entertaining posts (http://www.montypython.net/cgi-bin/dl2/full.cgi?spamsong.wav)

-Patcher of the Board.
-Reuniter of patrons.
-Firefighter

07-20-2002, 15:54
Mith, you're nearly 1000 LOL

Yuuki just reached them after two years and ...you! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
Clan Kenchikuka (http://www.totalwar.org/kenchikuka)
evil is within us... http://www.totalwar.org/site/emomalta.gif

Kurando
07-20-2002, 16:05
Don't sweat it Mithrandir; I'm just running stuff up the proverbial flag poll + I am no longer a staff member so I expect to have no more say in the matter than yourself or any other patron.

http://home.earthlink.net/~toes1/bsflag.gif

Papewaio
07-20-2002, 16:16
The problem with this approach is it is more of a PC way of dealing with things. Rather then going for the root cause we are literally going for a cosmetic solution.

I like the icons. I don't place faith in them. But the guys who spam also tend to have a good idea of what is happening throughout most of the forums. They have their finger on the pulse so to speak. As for myself I make my little quips here and there which in itself is spam. But I hope my posts have the therapeutic value of popping plastic bubble wrap.

Rokkaku
07-20-2002, 16:18
I think bohemond has a point, but I agree with shiro that it is very very fun, especially when you see sunm downright wier icons especially in off topic.
But the problem comes is the fact that newbies dont often know what has come before. and sum people get dissed(myself included) because they start a topic done before, but actually it was completely unintentional. I has this problem to, and as people know I was a bit angry for people having a go at me about posting o many topics, but the majority of the .Orgers have been absolutely wonderful to me, I will heed tehre words of warning definately.

Thank u all so much!

Rokkaku
07-20-2002, 16:21
hehe, I might set a record getting to kensai but I promise to god i will do it with useful posts 90% of the time(the other ten is talking to vyanvotts and laughing at funny comments)

------------------
"U dare challenge the drunken ninjas!"
Rokkaku of the Drunken Ninjas

Nelson
07-20-2002, 18:16
Fact #1 : Relating post counts to icons and ranks encourages spam. Doing so tells newcomers that posting a lot will enhance their status in the ORG.

Fact # 2 : Patrons like the ranks and icons. Quality TW related posts should be worth something.

So let's stop counting posts in OT.

Not everything there is spam but none of it is game related either. Why should my rank increase because I am sometimes moved to discuss politics, the weather, or widgets? If spammers really want to spam just for fun they could spam away in OT without inflating their rank.

BTW, our newer patrons should know that our latest kiloposter, Puzz3D, never graces us with his presence in OT. What does that tell you about those 1,000 posts? Yep. It's all gold.

07-20-2002, 18:41
Rigth a good idea Nelson. The OT is where all the spamming generally occurs. And even the spam in other forums isn't complete spam, it does hold a purpose - ie Rokkaku's posts were all on topic, even if little posts themselves.

The spammers are ok. Like I said before they add spice. But really the spam posts shouldn't be counted towards the rank, and since most of this goes on in OT, just single out the posts there.

------------------
The Soul

MaJesticSoul Sakai

Rokkaku
07-20-2002, 18:54
I agree totally with nelson, I mentioned earlier the idea of enforcing harsher rules in O.T, but that would just spoil the point of O.T.

I think the idea of not counting pots in O.T should be enforced immediately.

------------------

Rokkaku
07-20-2002, 18:55
I agree totally with nelson, I mentioned earlier the idea of enforcing harsher rules in O.T, but that would just spoil the point of O.T.

I think the idea of not counting posts in O.T should be enforced immediately.

(Sorry, Im editing this because it was an accident I double posted, it said the page could not be displayed so I thought it had not been posted, so I posted again)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rokkaku (edited 07-20-2002).]

Shiro
07-20-2002, 18:59
whoops...extra post.

------------------
—Samuel Johnson
------------------

[This message has been edited by Shiro (edited 07-20-2002).]

Rokkaku
07-20-2002, 19:08
Hey, the soul, do you belive I deserve my icon?

Dark Phoenix
07-20-2002, 19:09
Well if you wont am expert on upping there post count go no further than Shiro and the Shameless thread. BTW Shiro I remember that thread of yours dont know how.

Onto the subject as someone who now only really posts on the OTF some of the topics are more ridiculous than ever I think and are just taking up meaningless bandwidth. There was also one patron that made about 5 threads on the 1 subject. I think that more active moderating has to be enforced.

I have a suggestion about not making the post count of each poster visible, still have the icons for when you reach a certain post count but it stop trying to beat other posters.

------------------
"DP is correct" - Shiro

-----------------------
We may have years, we may have hours,
but sooner or later, we push up flowers

Rokkaku
07-20-2002, 19:15
yeh, maybe thats an idea, with a few flaws....
well, u cant see your own post count, thats actually it. and u cant distinguish from a very young kensai with a 1000 posts and the most expieranced personon the forum with 5000, but other than these minor quibbles I think yr idea is a good solution.

07-20-2002, 19:30
I'm ok with you Rokkaku because your posts were not shameless. Ok so perhaps you could have grouped together your posts but seriously if you make good posts it doesn't matter how long they are or how many.

However it'd help you get replies if you put them all as one.

------------------
The Soul

MaJesticSoul Sakai

Rokkaku
07-20-2002, 19:33
I see, wel, I now think I have ehard every bit of advice going so I hope I can make a better contribution to this forum http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Onto other things:
Someone mentioned somewhere that the org might change the icons and symbols for medieval total war. is this true?

Shiro
07-20-2002, 19:44
]Well if you wont am expert on upping there post count go no further than Shiro and the Shameless thread. BTW Shiro I remember that thread of yours dont know how.

Dirty liar! He's lies!!!

I've reformed - wait I never did anything wrong!

DP lies!!!

http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/tongue.gif

------------------
—Samuel Johnson
------------------

Rokkaku
07-20-2002, 20:44
Im gonna sound like a total newbie but in my year or so at the org(only registering recently) I still dont know what the shameless thread is! wehat is it?

tootee
07-20-2002, 21:24
I like the politic post on OT. Interesting read though I post little. Those should get their credit with a post count nevertheless.

Cheetah
07-20-2002, 21:41
I agree with Pape, removing the ranking system is just a cosmetic solution, it cannot stop spamming. Not to count OT posts is a cosmetic solution too, moreover it would encourage spamming in Medieval and Shogun threads. I think the only real solution would be a little bit of self-control, if spammers would decrease their activities in Medieval and Shogun related threads.

Shiro
07-20-2002, 21:45
I totally agree with Cheetah who seems to agree with Pape.

Those two have it right. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

------------------
—Samuel Johnson
------------------

JAG
07-21-2002, 01:15
Quote Originally posted by Cheetah:
I agree with Pape, removing the ranking system is just a cosmetic solution, it cannot stop spamming. Not to count OT posts is a cosmetic solution too, moreover it would encourage spamming in Medieval and Shogun threads. I think the only real solution would be a little bit of self-control, if spammers would decrease their activities in Medieval and Shogun related threads. [/QUOTE]

i couldnt have put it better myself. .. and thats y i am . .(at least trying) to spam less and less . .

i believe if spamming in ot is stopped or halted due to post count not going up from posts there. . many many ppl will post alot more in shogun and medieval forums, with spam and the same topic over and over and over and . . ..

------------------
and the war came."

4 March 1865

Mithrandir
07-21-2002, 01:27
I've already stoppped my worst spamming ways, after 2 days of 200 posts (100 posts a day) I lost intrest, and I'm nearing my goal to become a Sword Saint so I'll stop soon as well (I can leave once I've reached Kensai as I've said before).

Ni!

btw. Rokkaku, tis not a chatroom...

------------------
Mithrandir Poster of usefull information and entertaining posts (http://www.montypython.net/cgi-bin/dl2/full.cgi?spamsong.wav)

-Patcher of the Board.
-Reuniter of patrons.
-Firefighter

Rokkaku
07-21-2002, 02:25
hehe beat u, yr leaving after u become a Kensai!

Nelson
07-21-2002, 03:11
I think we should at least try not counting OT posts for a while and see how it goes. I don't think that spam will move to the game forums as a result. People know better. There won't be a shameless or babe thread in Medieval. If something doesn't belong it gets moved to OT. I believe we'd be fine.

Kurando
07-21-2002, 04:21
Quote So let's stop counting posts in OT.[/QUOTE]

Nelson, I love you but, I must kill you...

Great Idea, but such a thing could not be programmed. If Kuma (with the support of the org patrons) wants to make an official policy that anyone who blatantly spams in OT gets their post count clipped, that could be done, but not counting posts in one forum area of the dojo won't work programming-wise, sorry.

(It could be done manually, but oi gavel, what a job that would be!)

07-21-2002, 04:54
The more I read the more my view changes. I think it's entirely down to one thing in the end: the attitude of the posters.

I've been looking at the topic about Kishokan leaving, and in retrospect, I believe he looked upon the replies too seriously himself. Also, Mith was in the wrong to post jokes, when obvously Kishokan wasn't interested in quirky remarks. He's apologised and I'm sure feels a bit of regret about it. Other posts after this just went on from Mith's, but they too should have noticed Kisho's original post.

Hmmm if I sum it up for myself. We don't need any changes, the only problem is that people need to pay more attention.

------------------
The Soul

MaJesticSoul Sakai

JAG
07-21-2002, 05:10
Quote Originally posted by Kurando:

Nelson, I love you but, I must kill you...

Great Idea, but such a thing could not be programmed. If Kuma (with the support of the org patrons) wants to make an official policy that anyone who blatantly spams in OT gets their post count clipped, that could be done, but not counting posts in one forum area of the dojo won't work programming-wise, sorry.

(It could be done manually, but oi gavel, what a job that would be!)

[/QUOTE]

well that disturbes me a bit .. as i post 80% of the posts in ot. . not neccesarily spam but just i dont find other areas of the forum intresting . .as u get the same problems questions etc. .

it would disturb me if i was punished (post count clipping) just because i prefere ot. . .

------------------
and the war came."

4 March 1865

Flame of Udun
07-21-2002, 10:32
I dont get it why does anyone care about their # of posts? its not like you cant go in certain forums unless you have a certain # of posts (no i have never done any spamming, seriously hehehe)

[This message has been edited by Flame of Udun (edited 07-21-2002).]

Thane Talain MacDonald
07-21-2002, 14:28
Ah, but I say the ranking system is very good.

And I hope M:TW comes out soon so I have a chance to experience some of the multiplayer fun I missed with S:TW, having only gotten it a few months ago.

Thane Talain MacDonald
07-21-2002, 14:29
Which matters because I want to get one of those little flag-thingies for winning a whole bunch of online games http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Papewaio
07-21-2002, 15:25
Quote Originally posted by Flame of Udun:
I dont get it why does anyone care about their # of posts? its not like you cant go in certain forums unless you have a certain # of posts (no i have never done any spamming, seriously hehehe)

[This message has been edited by Flame of Udun (edited 07-21-2002).][/QUOTE]

Well there is the Kensai forum which has a babe thread that makes the OT one look like grandmas.

----

Seriously it is not the number of posts it is the quality. Ok it is the quality with which you have wielded the huge posts.

----

Its Sunday here and I have sex on the brain. Oh well just like every day of the week.

----

Back on topic. I think the number of posts is an attraction to some as is having your own custom icon. What we should be focusing on is our attitude not our war paints. As such I think we should start looking at how we want to;

1) Welcome newcomers
2) Treat Spammers
3) TREAT OBNOXIOUS PEOPLE ie ALL CAPS and genghis khan will rise from the dead type of stuff.
4) How we treat fellow memebers.
5) How to keep the forums fun and interesting not just statistics and theorems on how to play the totalwar series.

TechnoMage of Shadows
07-21-2002, 19:12
Just curious,

Who decides which patron's get the 'special' icons?
For site administration, contributions to the community and the like?

I see a number of site admins posting on your board who are not acknowledged as such.

Do the patrons have to request the icons?
or is there a committee of sorts that discusses such things?

------------------

[This message has been edited by TechnoMage of Shadows (edited 07-21-2002).]

Wavesword
07-21-2002, 23:38
I would like to make it clear that I derive no satisfaction from sounding like a fizzy orange drink for the next 500 posts. Hang on I'm a HC, don't I get a stronghold and followers or something? A potted plant?

07-22-2002, 04:35
There was a special JPG depicting how icons are given in a simple and detailed diagram...where is it...*searches*

------------------
evil is within us... http://www.totalwar.org/site/emomalta.gif

Wavesword
07-22-2002, 04:54
I remember Cat posted it in reply to a Gan Ning question, the thread was called ranks but has probably disappeared.

Shiro
07-22-2002, 06:32
http://www.totalwar.org/images/icons.gif

JAG
07-22-2002, 08:39
as ever shiro or cat post it up http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
and the war came."

4 March 1865

Thane Talain MacDonald
07-22-2002, 10:51
I am so getting one of those Pi icons for MTW http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif
Preferably a Scot Clansman icon, too http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

TechnoMage of Shadows
07-22-2002, 13:28
I saw the pic the first time,

Quote Originally posted by TechnoMage of Shadows:
Just curious,

Who decides which patron's get the 'special' icons?
For site administration, contributions to the community and the like?

I see a number of site admins posting on your board who are not acknowledged as such.

Do the patrons have to request the icons?
or is there a committee of sorts that discusses such things?

[/QUOTE]

??

youssof_Toda
07-22-2002, 14:28
There won't be a shameless or babe thread in Medieval.

Damn it, so all good info is lost? http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/eek.gif

err sorry trying to get the quoting thing right (also finally found the smilies legend)

[This message has been edited by youssof_Toda (edited 07-22-2002).]

youssof_Toda
07-22-2002, 14:32
Quote Originally posted by Nelson:
There won't be a shameless or babe thread in Medieval.
[/QUOTE]

Damn! hope i did the quoting thing correctly now

woehoe

[This message has been edited by youssof_Toda (edited 07-22-2002).]

Papewaio
07-22-2002, 15:58
Techno it would be by request to notify the admin. But at the moment things are a little bit hectic. Once MTW is out with more pics to pick I think custom icons will make a comeback.

Well thats my take on things.

Hirosito
07-22-2002, 21:09
i love that chart

Rokkaku
07-22-2002, 23:19
hey, what about medieval clans? do they get clan leader icons if htey have ten members anbd a webpage?

Nelson
07-23-2002, 00:54
Yikes! Don't reach for that sword to soon, Kurando sama you old fossil!

However, as an old and trusted friend, if I ever determine to commit seppuku I will call upon you to be my kaishaku. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

But I am NOT ready to die over post counts! If counting posts can't be done forum by forum then the idea belongs in the dumpster behind McDonalds! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

If we can keep the ORG up and running without changing a thing around here I'm all for it. Closing for lack of server space has been my only concern.

Mithrandir
07-23-2002, 03:10
if it weren't for the ranking system, there'd be no system at all.[/QUOTE]

------------------

-Patcher of the Board.
-Reuniter of patrons.
-Firefighter

Catiline
07-23-2002, 04:16
I say fry the ranking system now, then i'll always be top of the pile http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Timeo hominem unius libri

Sir Kuma of The Org
07-23-2002, 22:06
Here are technicaly what options we have concerning post counts:

Show Total Topics Only
Show Total Posts Only
Show Both Total Topics and Total Posts and of course not showing any total posts

Like K-man said we can't do it forum by forum

------------------
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

Wavesword
07-24-2002, 00:21
What about icons though? Discouraging excessive spam is one thing, but should we get rid of all marks of recognition? I lean toward no, but I can see arguments for both sides.

Wavesword
07-24-2002, 00:24
Can't see post to edit it, but I actually meant the 'mapping' or 500 battles things, not pictures of any kind.

Tachikaze
07-24-2002, 01:16
I'm a little late here. But I wanted to add that most of the spammers also contribute valid stuff to the threads.

I think this is not a serious issue. I didn't lose any of my self-esteem or confidence when I started here as an Ashi. Psychiatric therapy to eleviate my feelings of inadequacy never once crossed my mind (though, I'm sure you would all agree that it should). No one took me seriously as an Ashi, and no one takes me seriously now as a Kensai. The ranking is a focus, and it gives the forum character. I like watching the icon change every so often.

I would agree with Nelson's idea if it were feasible. Since it is not, let's not listen to a bunch of whining newbies with low post counts. They don't belong here making waves. Just pat them on their heads and humor them.
http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

Mithrandir
07-24-2002, 01:29
I agree, I just hope that they'll add in some higher ranks, at 2000,3000,4000,5000,7500 and 10000....

------------------

-Patcher of the Board.
-Reuniter of patrons.
-Firefighter

Gothmog
07-24-2002, 01:52
I remember when I first posted as a ronin, I got the help I came here for right away.

And it's because of that; I have never been ashamed of calling myself a newbie. That "newbieness" eventually became an obsession, just as those ladies who celebrate their 29th birthday year after year.

So I guess if the new comers care enough to stay, and are mature enough, they shouldn't be bothered by the ranks.

Ranking system will not be a problem, as long as nobody takes it too seriously. It is, however some kind of the indication of one's dedication to the forum, to a point.

What's important though, is that vets give them the help they needed, and heed their suggestion and their advices.

That's why sometimes I grow upset, not on the repetitive questions being asked by new comers, but by the impatience of the vets to answer them, and the pride of some of the "vets" that prevent them to listen to new voices and new ideas and improve themselves

And for those who care to spam 1000+ posts, I think they at least like this place so much to do it, and have enough energy to do it. Hehe.

------------------
Pain is weakness leaving the body.
http://www.grahamday.dial.pipex.com/rose-knight1.gif

Tachikaze
07-24-2002, 04:31
Well said, Gothmog.

youssof_Toda
07-24-2002, 14:54
well spoken

Erado San
07-24-2002, 15:23
I wonder what happened to common sense?

Ok, I am in the tech forum. Patron posts. has a problem or question. You think I look at the name or the icon or the number of posts and let that influence the way I answer him?

Now I am in the MTW forum. Patron posts. Has a problem or a question. Does the number of posts that person has made influence the way you answer him?

Sorry guys, the only thing that should influence you is the nature of the question. If it's a stupid question I won't blame you for pointing that out. If the question has been asked 1001 times before no problem if you point that out. Making a little fun of people, no problem with that either.

But whatever you may think, when the guy posted the question there is a big chance that he was serious and didn't realise that it was a stupid question or that it had been posted so often before. If you make him look ridiculous then I don't think he will hang around here often.

In other words, if you make someone look like a fool, it might well be that you are a big jerk yourself http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Papewaio
07-24-2002, 16:18
My rule tends to be the other way round. More posts the more I take the proverbal aussie p*ss out of them... sorry Mith your post count is getting to dangerous levels of counter sarcasm. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Seriously I prefer to get to know someone before I tease them.

If they are being a complete prick (to someone else who is nice) I like cutting them down to size... a bobbet job for the ego.

NinjaKilla
07-24-2002, 18:03
Nah Papewaio, random abuse is always good for a laugh. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

Hmmm I cant decide what I think is best - the date registered thing is quite ineteresting when compared to post count... also icons blatantly do encourage peeps to spam. But having said that, icons do add character and let peeps who have been here abit build some sort of identity. Perhaps you could punish spammer - reduce their post count or sommat - i dont really see it as a problem - it was very widespread b4 we had capacity problems and that was funny. Howver since these issues, I think its prety irresponsible and I dont think it should be tolerated...

------------------

youssof_Toda
07-24-2002, 20:14
Dunno about the default icons but i think you should keep the special icons and make sure new ppl understand what they mean. In this way they can see for instance who has much battle experience or is good at technical issues. This might encourage them to listen to ppl who are experts in their fields.

KafirChobee
07-25-2002, 00:56
Quote Originally posted by Erado San:
I wonder what happened to common sense?

Ok, I am in the tech forum. Patron posts. has a problem or question. You think I look at the name or the icon or the number of posts and let that influence the way I answer him?

Now I am in the MTW forum. Patron posts. Has a problem or a question. Does the number of posts that person has made influence the way you answer him?

Sorry guys, the only thing that should influence you is the nature of the question. If it's a stupid question I won't blame you for pointing that out. If the question has been asked 1001 times before no problem if you point that out. Making a little fun of people, no problem with that either.

But whatever you may think, when the guy posted the question there is a big chance that he was serious and didn't realise that it was a stupid question or that it had been posted so often before. If you make him look ridiculous then I don't think he will hang around here often.

In other words, if you make someone look like a fool, it might well be that you are a big jerk yourself http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif[/QUOTE]

There are no stupid questions. Only stupid answers.

KukriKhan
07-25-2002, 07:45
The powers that be will decide, of course, and I'll live happily with whatever the result it. I've posted from the start (about a year ago) with little regard to which icon I'd achieved.

If the big boys are noting everyone's sentiment, here's mine: I agree with the original post by Bohemond, the entire issue of status/class can be eliminated by having a dozen or so icons to choose from when registering. If you know (or can learn) how to make a .gif of the right size for an icon, cool: let 'em make & use their own (subject to admin review). Or not: some folks don't care & could use . Mod's and Admin's should have special ones, consistent across the board, denoting their role/specialty (for example Erado's).

However...don't know if any of that is possible in the UBB environment. So, as I say, just my 2-bits worth. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif Cheers!

07-25-2002, 08:55
Can I transform my men into monkeys and race across the field of battle searching for bananas?

ie a stupid question. There are plenty of stupid questions, and answers of course.

Sorry Kafir just had to say it http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/tongue.gif

Kukri I think that's ok but each icon must be given to a person individually. So in the first week of change, no doubt there'd be 300 mails to admin wanting custom icons they'd submitted.

Of course after the initial influx of mails calmed all would be calm again, until MTW comes out and more people visit the Org and another influx of mails hit the admin.

------------------
The Soul

MaJesticSoul Sakai

KukriKhan
07-25-2002, 09:30
The Soul-man-san thanks for feedback.

I see, that could be a problem for admins. So maybe just roll back that suggestion: during registration, newbies to MTW dojo (castle?)("newbies" would be all of us, too) pick one of 2 dozen pre-selected icons, cached by the .Org after MTW gets released (to insure quality control).

The goal being to divorce icon assignment from post count.

Probably won't eliminate spam, or rude newbie treatment, but should eliminate the incentive to spam excessively (lessening the load on the TELEFRAGGED server) and make the "neener, neener you're just a Ronin"-type posts irrelevent, ridiculous, and more obviously subject to Mod censure.