PDA

View Full Version : MP wont work all that well for me, help.

tibilicus
03-06-2009, 01:22
Here's my problem.

Basically I can rarely connect to games in the lobby and even the ones I can get into normally crash as another player drops out. I have disabled my anti virus, my router firewall and my software firewall to no avail so any ideas?

I've also set my steam location to the desired region but I still can't play with my pals..

RTKBarrett
03-06-2009, 02:10
Sounds like a router problem unfortunately.. what are the errors you get when failing to connect.

tibilicus
03-06-2009, 14:47
Sounds like a router problem unfortunately.. what are the errors you get when failing to connect.

Most commonly the failed to join host message.

Tomisama
03-09-2009, 12:33
Thanks Tibilicus and Shields for going through the connections testing on both US-NorthCentral and UnitedKingdom –Ireland servers (even though you knew it wouldn’t work).

You have both probably seen the information below, but incase someone else is having similar problems and has not started the search for answers, I though I’d post this here (link at bottom has much more information linked to it).

Troubleshooting Network Connectivity Issues
Please follow the steps below to diagnose network connectivity issues within Steam:

1. Router
Before trying anything else, try bypassing your router by connecting your computer directly to your modem.
If the issue disappears after bypassing your router, please refer to the Using a Router with Steam topic for instructions on configuring your router.

Note: running your router in DMZ mode is not supported by Steam and may result in connection issues.

Also, wireless connections are not recommended for online gaming.
To ensure reliability, make sure you are using a wired connection to the internet.

2. Firewall
See the Using a Firewall with Steam topic for instructions to properly configure your firewall for Steam.

Note: If you are installing Steam for the first time or Steam has recently been updated, a firewall may be preventing Steam from connecting to the Steam Network - even if Steam worked correctly before the update was applied.

3. Background Applications
Review the Programs which interfere with Steam and reconfigure, disable or uninstall any programs which may be preventing Steam and Valve games from connecting.

4. Viruses, Trojans, Adware and Spyware
If issues persist, scan your computer for Spyware, Adware, and Viruses Interferi

Required Ports for Steam
Your network must be configured to allow Steam access to the following ports:

Steam Client
• UDP 27000 to 27020 inclusive
• TCP 27020 to 27050 inclusive

Dedicated or Listen Servers
• TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1456-EUDN-2493