PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Fleets

TexRoadkill
03-12-2009, 20:03
It was only a matter of time before the griefers started using fleets of nothing but Rocket Ships. In practice I tried a bunch of different combinations of ships to defeat it but nothing has the same range. The Bomb Ketches are supposed to have the same range but they never fire as soon as the Rockets.

Anybody have any luck in defeating them with anything other then a bunch of other Rocket Ships? Obviously you can just make rules banning them but I've always felt MP rules were for wussies or people who like to ban whatever works well against their own tactics.

AggonyDuck
03-12-2009, 20:18
Just play early era. The ship combat is better in it anyway.

As to the Rocket ships, CA will balance them soon, but at the moment nothing will beat a rocket ship fleet. Atleast nothing that would work against a conventional fleet as well.

Paolai
03-13-2009, 10:34
play the quick naval battels. No spammers there.

RTKBarrett
03-13-2009, 14:22
play the quick naval battels. No spammers there.

Precisely

TexRoadkill
03-13-2009, 20:33
Oh well. I'm one of those weirdos that likes to actually make up my own armies for specific tactics so I don't do the preset stuff. I actually like the Rocket Ships but too much of a good thing... Maybe doing Early battles is the key for now.

Ishmael
03-15-2009, 09:57
Personally, i haven't found them all that overpowered; at least when i used them. In a custom battle I used a full rocket fleet with a single 3rd rate admiral, and the AI used the preset fleet, and nothing i could do would win the battle for me. My problem was that the rocket ships wouldnt start firing until relatively close, so they would only get 1 volley off before the enemy line was upon them anyway. After that, they just blew me to pieces.
I take it this doesn't happen on Multiplayer?

AggonyDuck
03-15-2009, 13:07
Personally, i haven't found them all that overpowered; at least when i used them. In a custom battle I used a full rocket fleet with a single 3rd rate admiral, and the AI used the preset fleet, and nothing i could do would win the battle for me. My problem was that the rocket ships wouldnt start firing until relatively close, so they would only get 1 volley off before the enemy line was upon them anyway. After that, they just blew me to pieces.

You must have done something wrong. The rocket ships have a longer range than any of the ships of the line and in a line abreast formation they can concentrate their fire on one ship at a time.

TexRoadkill
03-17-2009, 18:50

You just make a screen line across the map and sit there and wait. Any ship that comes into range will be on fire and surrender before it can get off more then one broadside.