PDA

View Full Version : I'm sick of massed mortar batteries...

The Spartan (Returns)
03-13-2009, 01:50
[RANT INITIATED]
I've noticed playing online that many users will have at least six mortar units in their armies. They practice 24/7 on a mountainous map, always use landscape obstacles and height advantages.

I don't know all the maps that well, and when the enemy knows all of it, your already at disadvantage.

I'm the more traditional kind of commander relying more on cavalry and infantry. I usually just have 2 mortar teams in my armies. When I have to face this every time, it can be quite difficult to win, and I still get pretty darn close winning some times.

Even more seemingly old fashioned, I almost kinda feel it dishonorable. I mean 6 mortars raining down on your infantry, and by the the time you get in range half of your troop gets decimated. If half of your army is already killed, then it almost feels like your men don't have a chance. Staring at mortars with wooden stakes in front, light infantry shooting down your men as they walk up hill while still out of range... and there's still that elite guard up there... It can be a VERY demoralizing sight indeed.

Why make a big fuss? Why not just play a quick land battle?
Well most land battles are played with the smallest unit sizes, and it's a turn off for me.
[END OF RANT]

Any tips?
Here's what I already do when I join a game. I just pray the enemy doesn't have a huge mortar battery waiting for me at the top of a hill...

1 General,3-4 Heavy/Lancer Cavalry (Sometimes some light cavalry elements), 2 mortars, 6-8 of the most elite infantry.

Now, I'm starting to incorporate light infantry to my late army because of their range, but for now I'm still developing tactics on how to use 'em.

If I AM against someone with a huge arty squad:
1.March as QUICKLY as possible without tiring the troops
2.Arty targets right flank of the enemy
3.Once I get in range, I use my usual gameplan:
4. Infantry engages
5. My column of cavalry all on right flank, gets in position to flank and target either:
1. Other Cavalry 2. Light Infantry 3. Regular Line Infantry 4. Arty
6. My first line is about 5-6 infantry and a second line as reserve with remaining infantry. (usually elite) Reserve either fends off flanking cavalry on the left flank, or help with main engagement
7. If flanks are clear charge the enemy, and general joins in to help out any struggling regiment
8. If the cavalry removes all threats on the flanks then, they help mop up the main engagement

The strategy is to overwhelm the right flank whilst holding the left from any flanking maneuvers. The right flank folds, and each unit on the right rout one by one or altogether eventually leading up to the left flank. If the cavalry is not successful enough, then the chance of defeat increases, depending on the situation.

Of course if one step is already competed and/or not necessary, then I skip steps.

So again any tips, thanks in advance.

RTKBarrett
03-13-2009, 02:03
Host a game called, no mortars

"Hi any rules?"
"Yes no mortars plz"
"Awesome!"
"gl hf"

Works for me...

The Spartan (Returns)
03-13-2009, 02:08

"Hi any rules?"
"Yes no mortars plz"
"Awesome!"
"gl hf"

Works for me...:laugh4: Yes, yes I'll be doing that some time =P

Probably "2 mortars max" should do it.

In the mean time however... when I'M the patron of a game...

Paolai
03-13-2009, 13:57

"Hi any rules?"
"Yes no mortars plz"
"Awesome!"
"gl hf"

Works for me...

LOL

well not always works btw

RTKBarrett
03-13-2009, 14:21
ive yet to be betrayed by the lovely total war community :D but yes ure right, risk with a pinch of salt..

YellowMelon
03-13-2009, 15:52
Um, yes you were. And people always break rules on me.

RTKBarrett
03-13-2009, 18:50
80 games, 1 where it happened and u jinxed it >.<

TexRoadkill
03-13-2009, 20:50
You are going through the same troubles as many generals of that time period, lol. Artillery is probably most damaging to the players morale then it is to the army. If the opponent is half-smart I rarely see my Artillery getting more then 30 or 40 kills each and often less. Compared to the 100+ kills of a Line Infantry unit they aren't really as useful as a killing tool.

The whole point of artillery is to force the opponent to attack. Generally speaking the defender is usually at an advantage.

Skirmishing is even more important with artillery in play because the goal is to kill the other guys cavalry first and try to force him to have be the attacker. Once he attacks then he has to leave a force to defend his artillery, weakening his main assault and he already has less troops because he bought artillery instead or leave them vulnerable for cav. I like to setup a kill zone with artillery and hidden light infantry, preferably the sniper units, and try to draw their cavalry into the kill zone. The other advantage to your skirmishing is that if your main force is hidden well then the artillery will be wasted trying to hit your moving skirmishers.

One of the best tactics is to use the woods for cover. If you hide a bunch of guys there all the enemy can do is blind fire into the woods. If possible I like to hide my guys in the woods or on the reverse slope of a hill and hope they can wait out the skirmishing period. If you notice they are targeting your cav or general then keep them on the move.

tgi01
03-14-2009, 09:21
LOL

well not always works btw

Well actually it works surprisingly well .. sure it happens sometimes that some1 misses it .. but
generally speaking hosting a game called NO MORTARS and reminding ppl of it be4 the game starts works.

Also quite a few ppl are looking for the no mortars games to begin with.

Main problem with the mortars is not their range but thei accuracy .. they also very easily take out regular horse arty even when its moving ... which is both annoying and unrealistic ...

And its soo easy to fix by a) just raising their price to 1000-1200 , b) lower their accuracy ( rockets are also long range they just cant hit anything ) , C) ammo limmit on arty ffs ...

TGI

PS: and if you enter some1 s game and ask for rules and receive the answer none then usually be ready for mortars ....

Cap'n D
03-14-2009, 13:37
i do this only to facilitate the wiping out of annoying hill-camping batteries...

1. string all your men out into a single rank and ensure each 'line' of rifles or muskets is spaced with some distance to each other... ( i've noticed the loss rate as you cover even elevated terrain can be reduced by 70% easily)
2. just as you know the battery is about to let rip and the first mortars fire run your men or cavalry and the majority of the barrage can overshoot.
3. COLD_STEEL+RIFLES_RULES...if they have even 2 arty emplacements or mobile cannon that's two less inf units to gut... riflemen, ferguson's are cool...

:skull::skull:Camper Pampers pack Picnic Hampers:skull::skull:

Aemilius Paulus
03-14-2009, 16:38
You are going through the same troubles as many generals of that time period, lol. Artillery is probably most damaging to the players morale then it is to the army. If the opponent is half-smart I rarely see my Artillery getting more then 30 or 40 kills each and often less. Compared to the 100+ kills of a Line Infantry unit they aren't really as useful as a killing tool.

Yeah, I tend to go with TexRoadkill as well. If those six units were line infantry or cavalry, they would have done much more damage. I would be thankful if my opponent so stupidly binged on artillery. Easier for me...

YellowMelon
03-14-2009, 18:01
It's a matter of simple balance, anyone who plays MP with any competency will understand that.

750 range reaches into deployment zones
500 makes it basically the cheapest art
55 accuracy? I can't remember.
Whether you bring 2 or 8, it's cost effectiveness is off the charts.

I have started asking people to confirm the rules of no mortar before I start, or I kick em. I always feel bad, but at least I know there is no language barrier when playing on a NA server that can account for them not "understanding" the rules, yet the European server has a better chance of people agreeing. Strange.

I am not disputing the rationale for having artillery, but when you have the hill at the start of the match on these awesome MP maps, you seem to have an accuracy bonus as well (as far as I've seen). Now you don't have to fight for a position, but can force the enemy to either get shot to hell and lose by number loss, or run up the hill and lose to fatigue.

Relic
03-14-2009, 19:49
I very much dislike people who do this as well. So much that unless there isn't a drop in this tactic I'll resort to using it myself, to counter theirs.

Tiberius Claudius Marcellus
03-14-2009, 20:40
The best tactic takes from the playbook of the Free Market: Supply and Demand

If people wont play on those maps / with those rules, etc, then eventually the people who use them will either stop doing that, or group together and form their own server and disappear from the nuisance list.

therifleman
03-15-2009, 03:29
It come to a point where if both sides have mortars, a 1 hour minute mortar duel ensues, in which eventually one side's mortars knocks out the other sides'. Their combat effectivness is one big illusion, but everyone seems to just throw them into their army out of fear that their opponent will mortar them to death, if they don't first.

I think MP gameplay would improve if mortars were given a range nerf. Just enough so they aren't able to shoot into the opposing deployment zone right off the bat. It would make it much more of a defensive weapon, and it would put an end to mortar duels.

I rarely use them at this point. I remember one game where I was French against Russians. Russian guy thought he was being so clever, setting his 16 mortars up on an elevated hill behind a wall of stakes and infantry facing me until my 3 cav units snuck up to his lines through the woods and flanked him. To put it less elequently, his his mortars got :daisy: by my cav. His infantry massacred my cav, but they took all 16 mortars and a handfull of line infantry down with them. The rest of my army advanced up and routed his inf because unlike my opponet, I did not blow a quarter of my money on mortar batteries.

TexRoadkill
03-15-2009, 09:17
You guys are killing me. Mortars are not a problem. You guys have been playing this 2 weeks and you say the mortars need to be nerfed or banned? Anybody who uses a lot of artillery is a sitting duck for cavalry and/or sharpshooters.

The players who hate artillery are usually the same players who want to sit on a hill and wait the entire match. Artillery is the best counter for those players and getting rid of it ruins the game.

KozaK13
03-15-2009, 14:06
You guys are killing me. Mortars are not a problem. You guys have been playing this 2 weeks and you say the mortars need to be nerfed or banned? Anybody who uses a lot of artillery is a sitting duck for cavalry and/or sharpshooters.

Provided you have sharpshooters and cavalry left by the time you get in range....mortars can hit cavalry who are running.

YellowMelon
03-15-2009, 16:01

The players who hate artillery are usually the same players who want to sit on a hill and wait the entire match. Artillery is the best counter for those players and getting rid of it ruins the game.

Who said anything about hating artillery? If anything hating mortars equates liking artillery. Why? Because Mortars with their cost effectiveness (range, accuracy, cost) makes all other artillery worthless.

Andres
03-15-2009, 19:57
Gentlemen, please maintain a civilised and friendly tone or this thread gets locked.

:bow:

YellowMelon
03-15-2009, 20:13
Unreal.

gollum
03-15-2009, 20:32
Originally posted by Yellow Mellon
Unreal.

Indeed. Mr Andres such *arguments* are the bread and butter of the mp forums/community. Its understood and appreciated that you are trying to do what you were entrusted in the best of ways, but a more hands-free approach might work best.

It is undertandable that you being SP play and forums only member cannot fully and transparently discern the ways and dynamics of the mp community but the last thing needed here is to brake the posting flow all the time imho. You ll get the very results you are trying to avoid from the other side.

Andres
03-16-2009, 09:42
Indeed. Mr Andres such *arguments* are the bread and butter of the mp forums/community. Its understood and appreciated that you are trying to do what you were entrusted in the best of ways, but a more hands-free approach might work best.

It is undertandable that you being SP play and forums only member cannot fully and transparently discern the ways and dynamics of the mp community but the last thing needed here is to brake the posting flow all the time imho. You ll get the very results you are trying to avoid from the other side.

It is not my intention to break the posting flow.

The Org is a place where we discuss civilised and in a nice and friendly way. The MP section is no exception to that.

The "dickhead ratio" of Northern Americans nor the terminology "gang raped" have a place in here.

If you wish to further discuss Org policy, then you can either drop me a pm, or, if you feel a public discussion would be better, open a thread in the Watchtower on the matter :bow:

RTKBarrett
03-16-2009, 13:59
Typical response lolz...

tibilicus
03-16-2009, 14:09
I'm not offended nor do I think anyone else here is offended.

Therefore surely the use of such language is inappropriate if someone is offended by it which isn't the case therefore there is no problem here, right?

Back on topic mortars are ridiculous but hey it's a step up from other games. Haven't had the option to play much online yet due to steam being immune to all ports and firewalls but it can't be as bad as previous games.

RTW for example, max 2 HA, max 4 archers max 6 cavalry, no arty, no els, no Cantabrian circle. Probably not exact but the rules were something along those lines, you get the idea. Maybe there's hope that CA might patch it as well as patch the problem which me and others get which stops us from playing MP 90% of the time.

Of course a patch would require CA to actually pay attention to the MP section of their game which is highly improbable....

pevergreen
03-16-2009, 14:23
Therefore surely the use of such language is inappropriate if someone is offended by it which isn't the case therefore there is no problem here, right?

Its against the Org policy, which makes in inappropriate to be anywhere. Those phrases would have been met with harsher eyes elsewhere, I would know. :shame:

Sorry for butting in on your area Andres...

Puzz3D
03-17-2009, 09:32
Back on topic mortars are ridiculous but hey it's a step up from other games.
ETW isn't even close to providing the quality multiplayer experience that the very first TW game provided.

If the mortars are corrected for playbalance, that will uncover another unbalanced unit for players to exploit. The problem won't go away until Creative Assembly makes the cost/benefit ratio of all the units nearly equal. Players can effectively exploit a unit that's imbalanced by as little as 15%. When the top players exploit imbalances, it forces any player who has an expectation of winning a battle to do the same, and this ultimately causes the gameplay to converge to a narrow playstyle resulting in premature boredom and a loss of interest in the game by a large part of the MP community.

tibilicus
03-17-2009, 14:04
ETW isn't even close to providing the quality multiplayer experience that the very first TW game provided.

If the mortars are corrected for playbalance, that will uncover another unbalanced unit for players to exploit. The problem won't go away until Creative Assembly makes the cost/benefit ratio of all the units nearly equal. Players can effectively exploit a unit that's imbalanced by as little as 15%. When the top players exploit imbalances, it forces any player who has an expectation of winning a battle to do the same, and this ultimately causes the gameplay to converge to a narrow playstyle resulting in premature boredom and a loss of interest in the game by a large part of the MP community.

So your suggesting to make each unit similar in strength and revolve the game entirely around movement like earlier TW releases?

Seamus Fermanagh
03-17-2009, 15:31
Puzz3d:

I'm not an MP'er, but one of the things I've always enjoyed in the TW series IS the inequity of things. If all units are balanced, you end up with "rock - paper - scissors." If I wanted perfect balance, I'd go to chess.com.

I understand your basic point of course, those who take the "munchie" route are always a bit vexing, but of all the units are completely balanced, some of the flavor of the whole thing is lost.

CBR
03-17-2009, 16:18
Balanced means all/most units and factions are worth taking. It does not mean all units are identical.

I'm not sure what the problem is with rock paper scissors as that is what earlier TW titles had and, although it might have been weakened in ETW, the elements are still there in the form of infantry/cavalry/artillery combined with the element of formations (square good versus cavalry but bad against artillery)

MTW/VI is a good example of stale gameplay as upgrades made units nearly identical and also removed the need for different unit types. Upgrades in STW/MI also caused similar problems.

CBR

gollum
03-17-2009, 17:29
Originally posted by CBR
Balanced means all/most units and factions are worth taking. It does not mean all units are identical.

Precisely

Originally posted by CBR
I'm not sure what the problem is with rock paper scissors as that is what earlier TW titles had and, although it might have been weakened in ETW, the elements are still there in the form of infantry/cavalry/artillery combined with the element of formations (square good versus cavalry but bad against artillery)

The problem is political in nature. It is part of the conflict of the old/new mp communities - the old one formed around STW/MTW and the newer one formed around RTW/M2TW, because of their different gameplays. The org is the ground where the drama unfolds because it is the sole intersection point for both. Until both realise that they need to accept each other, and then work together without turning their backs to one another or to the current TW games no matter how bad they are, it will find no solution.

It will keep building up into more segreggation, more discontent and more damage to the prestige of the org in this area.

And please dont let anyone tell you that its CAs fault. CA is a games company. Not a charity. Not an accademic institution. Not an artists guild. Their motives for gameplay design decisions are for a mix of reasons and aim to accomodate a mix of people.

They dont aim for the best gameplay - they aim for a mix of the best and most attractive commercially gameplay. And they have every right to do this - its their game. One should either buy and play their games with the hope of contributing/helping to have a better game in the near and far future or find another game to play if it doesnt suit one at all.

:2cents:

CBR
03-17-2009, 18:17
Each historical era will obviously produce different gameplay and that is in itself fine enough and to be expected. But what should also be expected is that they can get it sorta right especially with so few units to balance as in ETW.

It will keep building up into more segreggation, more discontent and more damage to the prestige of the org in this area
The Org is no longer the big MP website and that changed 6 years ago so in the end there is really no more damage that can be done. But yes criticism should be constructive to narrow down the problems in the hope that CA will see it and fix it or to discover if rules are needed so players can get the most fun out of the game.

CBR

gollum
03-17-2009, 18:22
Originally posted by CBR
The Org is no longer the big MP website and that changed 6 years ago so in the end there is really no more damage that can be done.

When a disaster that is beyond ones capacity to control hits, its the elements that bring things together that help heal and ultimately reinvogorate - not those that push things apart.

TexRoadkill
03-17-2009, 18:40
I don't understand how you guys can be in agreement on facts that are wrong.

Misperceptions about Artillery
1. They are as accurate as direct fire cannons.
Wrong!!! Cannons get 4x more kills then mortar if the enemy is in range of both.

2. Mortars can hit cavalry on the move.
Wrong!!! Not if the cav are running.

3. Mortars destroy light infantry.
Wrong!!! Not if they are in Light Infantry mode and taking cover.

4. Rockets are just as bad as mortars.
Wrong!!! Rockets are worthlesss. I went up against a guys with 10 rockets and they killed about 5 guys per volley.

CBR
03-17-2009, 18:57
I might be mistaken but AFAIK the kill count at the end of battle is wrong when it comes to artillery kills. Mortars firing percussion shells can produce lots of kills.

Moving fast might be the best way to avoid mortars but their high range and cheap cost generally makes them better than most other artillery.

CBR

Seamus Fermanagh
03-17-2009, 21:32

MTW/VI is a good example of stale gameplay as upgrades made units nearly identical and also removed the need for different unit types. Upgrades in STW/MI also caused similar problems.

CBR

Okay, I was interpreting his Cost/benefit comment differently, very much in terms of stale gameplay as your post went on to suggest.

Of course, some element of rock-paper-scissors is present, just as it is in reality, I was referencing the idea that ALL units ending up equal on a cost-benefit scale made it so that the r-p-s component would be the ONLY thing left.

Yun Dog
03-18-2009, 07:06
I agree mortars are cheese and need some nerfing.

That said I see heaps of 'NO MOTARS' games - so its manageable

the only problem comes with shameless exploiters who use mortars on unknowing noobs to get easy stats on their rankings - bleh they need to get a life

On a separate topic (apologies for momentary offtopic)

How are guys finding 3v3 and 4v4

I tried twice on the weekend and both games crashed - one had a serious cow

anyone having successful 3v3 or 4v4 matchups

or ala M2TW is the code unable to support the packet exchange needed ??

that is to say its requiring more data than it can physically send.

tgi01
03-18-2009, 09:56
I might be mistaken but AFAIK the kill count at the end of battle is wrong when it comes to artillery kills. Mortars firing percussion shells can produce lots of kills.

Moving fast might be the best way to avoid mortars but their high range and cheap cost generally makes them better than most other artillery.

CBR

Yes I have the same feeling sometimes you only see a cpl of unit kills for certain types of artillery even when you are sure that you kille many more ... could be some kind of area effect thats not counted

Yunson - 4 vs 4 are very lagged ...i managed to finish one so far even there 4 outta 8 ppl dropped ...
could be a performance too .. lots of them are being hosted though... would be nice too hear
from some1 who finds them playable ( and their system specs ... ) ... ( for now im staying out of 4 vs 4 ... )

TGI

LittleGrizzly
03-18-2009, 12:23
Okay, I was interpreting his Cost/benefit comment differently, very much in terms of stale gameplay as your post went on to suggest.

Of course, some element of rock-paper-scissors is present, just as it is in reality, I was referencing the idea that ALL units ending up equal on a cost-benefit scale made it so that the r-p-s component would be the ONLY thing left.

The thing is if you don't balance all the units properly then it ends up coming down to only a few units people use...

For example with VI the men at arms were the best inf unit for western factions... so almost everyone would have 4 men at arms units in thier army... militia sergants where used a little as well but outside of those 2 infantry units you would hardly ever see other infantry units...

So by having some overpowered units you reduce the amount of units people use... if the units are all balanced it comes down to the way you use your units and what type of units you have picked... rather than being about picking the 4 best types of units and then you only need to match them up to your opponents units correctly.. if he hasn't got overpowered units like you ... you have won... reduces the need for skill and tactics... unless everyone uses overpowered... then it just gets narrow and boring...

TexRoadkill
03-18-2009, 20:29
It doesn't matter how powerful mortars are or aren't. Certain players like to sit on a hill and do nothing but wait because they feel they have superior patience. These players will always ban artillery no matter what because it is the only counter to their "Turtle" tactics.

Until they make maps with an objective in the middle that needs to be controlled this will always be a problem.

Lavos
03-19-2009, 20:03
Yes I have the same feeling sometimes you only see a cpl of unit kills for certain types of artillery even when you are sure that you kille many more ... could be some kind of area effect thats not counted

Yunson - 4 vs 4 are very lagged ...i managed to finish one so far even there 4 outta 8 ppl dropped ...
could be a performance too .. lots of them are being hosted though... would be nice too hear
from some1 who finds them playable ( and their system specs ... ) ... ( for now im staying out of 4 vs 4 ... )

TGI

Played one and finished one without any problems. It was normal unit size, there was some lag and it played ok. For me its huge improvement over games since Rome. I still play on same comp as m2tw and on that one even 3v3 was too laggy

PanzerJaeger
03-21-2009, 09:01
It doesn't matter how powerful mortars are or aren't. Certain players like to sit on a hill and do nothing but wait because they feel they have superior patience. These players will always ban artillery no matter what because it is the only counter to their "Turtle" tactics.

You do not need artillery to take a hill. I find it gives most players a false sense of security, as the hill bonuses don't seem to be very large. And I think the issue is mortars, not other arty units.

Kenchi_Sulla
03-22-2009, 12:29
At this stage (nearing 50 mp wins, mostly team games) I think there is no real big exploit that can't be countered. I ban mortars from my games because I dont enjoy the "gameplay" they provide. It's not that they can't be beaten (adopt tactics of enemy, rush, etc.). I don't mind the other arty units in the game and sometimes use them myself.

The bread and butter weapon of this age is the musket. Armour doesn't play a role, melee does matter a bit (if you use it correctly, for example melee the enemy when he uses 20 long range rifle units, or a lot of artillery). Range of the musket, accuracy of the guys wielding it, depth of line, morale and how many guys in a unit are important factors..... basicly historical.

I like this game. It has some problems but overal the gameplay matches my taste. Just ban the mortars and you are good to go.

Tsavong
03-22-2009, 12:39
Would a rush by cav wall you use your inf to fix the enemy line should let you get rid of the mortars one way or another.

Well unless the enemy with them caps up a hill.... by a red line..... surrounded by stakes. which seems to happen a fair bit on one of the 2 v 2 maps i forget witch one i find that more annoying than mortars as you cant even try and get behind them.

Evil_Maniac From Mars
03-22-2009, 22:40
Well, in my second E:TW multiplayer game ever, which I just finished, the two enemies I was facing had about four mortar units each, give or take, and a rocket unit. I was using a 24-pounder cannon and a rocket unit (because I had never used one before and wanted to try it out). The first enemy, the one on my flank, committed with his infantry (Guards and Grenadiers), keeping his lights in reserve by his artillery.

I destroyed his line using grapeshot from the 24-pounder and half of my British line infantry. He charged with all of his cavalry, but ran into the lights I had hidden in the woods, which destroyed his cavalry when they combined with two of my infantry units in squares and my cavalry bearing down from the flank. He still had infantry in reserve, so he began advancing those.

At this point, I charged my cavalry into his mortars [up a hill and] through his light infantry (he neglected to deploy stakes - I did not), and destroyed them. At this point, the game ended abruptly and I did not get to see the final casualties screen (it took me back to the lobby). I managed to get an achievement for it being my first ranked battle - though I wonder why it took me back to the lobby instantly.

PanzerJaeger
03-23-2009, 00:30
At this point, I charged my cavalry into his mortars [up a hill and] through his light infantry (he neglected to deploy stakes - I did not), and destroyed them. At this point, the game ended abruptly and I did not get to see the final casualties screen (it took me back to the lobby). I managed to get an achievement for it being my first ranked battle - though I wonder why it took me back to the lobby instantly.

It seems to be a bug in the game. Sometimes it will allow a person to quit/drop and the game will continue (in 2v2 and above) or end correctly with a stats page (in 1v1), but much of the time it sends you back to the lobby. Some people appear to be using this, by terminating ETW completely from the task manager, as a last ditch attempt to get out of having a lost game on their stats. It works most of the time. ~:rolleyes:

Evil_Maniac From Mars
03-23-2009, 01:41
I've just been caught by that. The host left the game after my ally and I routed his army and were cornering his half-strength ally. It apparently recorded it as a land battle loss, the only land battle I've "lost" so far. :whip:

thurjack_mahr
03-24-2009, 05:05
See, I don't see mortars and artillery as being that bad of an issue.

If you fight someone with a lot of artillery, they have skrimped somewhere else. The mortars lose thier charm up close, and they only have a handful of mortar operators. In most of my stock armies, I use two mortars and sometimes a cannon. It's not so much for the direct damage they do, it's that they harass the enemey and make him have to advance on you.

NimitsTexan
03-27-2009, 04:40
A couple of early period mortars is not a big deal.

A massed battery of 5-8 4" late period mortars with a couple of XP upgrades will tear your troops before they can get there . . . and of course, it forces you to attack while the other guy can sit there and receive you on good ground.

thurjack_mahr
03-27-2009, 15:23
If people don't like the idea of other players selecting a bunch of mortars, there is always the "Quick Battle" option that removes the choices and pre-builds an army for both sides.

Part of the realism of a battle is being able to adapt and overcome what the enemy throws at you though.

Artilleries role is to make the enemy advance under fire. It does very little good in a line battle, when it can deal as much damage to thier line as yours. All you need to do against an artie masser is to advance and engage. If they put that much cash into all those artie units, you will have a bigger line, even assuming you soak up some hits on your advance.

NimitsTexan
03-28-2009, 05:33
What you are ignoring is that:

(A) There is nothing realistic about the mortars in the game. Mortars were not battlefield weapons, were too slow to move with a field army, and their ranges were shorter, not longer, than field gun.

(B) Massed late period mortars WILL take out the equivalent of 1-2 Line Regiments before you can get in range, offsetting one's manpower advantage.

nafod
04-06-2009, 20:03

(A) There is nothing realistic about the mortars in the game. Mortars were not battlefield weapons, were too slow to move with a field army, and their ranges were shorter, not longer, than field gun.

(B) Massed late period mortars WILL take out the equivalent of 1-2 Line Regiments before you can get in range, offsetting one's manpower advantage.

NimitzTexan,

you've hit the nail on the head. I heard all the clamour over mortars and couldn't understand why, until I built one in my Prussian Campaign.

Of all the artillery in the game I'd estimate the mortar should have the shortest range. As they were typically used in sieges to lob projectiles over enemy walls as the much longer ranged smoothbore artillery was restricted to counterfiring enemy batteries, or targeting the men atop the walls and or the walls themselves.

The direct fire guns would be used to cover troops digging trenches and building battlements to get the mortars in place in a fairly protected position close enough to the walls to put them in range.

I've no idea how or why CA decided they should be the longest ranged artillery piece in the game. I'd guess it was to get around siege battles as they are immobile, and since we aren't allowed to construct siege entrenchments they would get mauled as they closed to effective range.

As to what that effective range is or should be I do not know, but it should be shorter relative to a cannon firing ball ammunition at any rate.

They might as well have included air support.

Naf

thurjack_mahr
04-06-2009, 22:21
Heh, just a funny thought...

You think there is some whining on the forums regarding mortors, but I really have to wonder what historically, the soliders themselves must have been discussing while marching from battlefield to battlefield.

"Eh, Fred, who are we up against next?"

"The Ottomen."

"Oh, poop! They have Bombard Mortors!"

"Yeah, I wish the Duke would agree to not use the cannons if they don't use the mortors..."

"Yeah, but he says they will break the agreement...."

"Poop!"

You get the idea.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that making a battlefield simulation is at times not going to be fair, because war in and of itself is not a fair and balanced thing. Artillery whittles down people before they ever join the front line. For each unit of mortors to pay for themselves, they have to do at least an equal dollar amount in damage to the enemy to offset the cost for the unit itself.

The real value in mortors, in my humble opinion, isn't that they kill so many people (they don't, usually, against a foe who knows enough to keep thier troops moving) but rather that they make one side react to being shelled. If you stand still while you have the enemy shelling you, you are going to take astounding casualties, and they will tear you up before you are able to close.

A couple other points:

Cavalry is, in my opinion, the best counter. Esp those missile cavalry. By the time you are in range, the minimum range on the mortars makes them more or less useless without shelling friendly troops, and horses can move fast enough to close the gap and mortars are terribly inaccurate against galloping horses who change direction frequently!

Hint: Next time you are fighting someone with a lot of massed mortors, take one unit of cheap cavalry and waypoint it back and forth all over the middle of the line. Tap R on and off occassionally to change between walking and running and unless the other guy is individually targeting units, the artillary will tear up around your decoy unit while you advance your line intact. Try it :)

Ishmael
04-07-2009, 04:28

But assuming that by 'massed' you mean 4+, shouldn't that still leave you with the equivalent of 2+ more units than he has?

NimitsTexan
04-07-2009, 05:24
But assuming that by 'massed' you mean 4+, shouldn't that still leave you with the equivalent of 2+ more units than he has?

Depends on the period/Army size. Considering that you can get 4 mortars for about the same price as 3 Line or 2 Guards Infantry, not necessarily.

If mortars were the most expensive Artillery, or their range was limited so that, instead fo shooting back to back, they could only hit the enemy zone if forward deployed, it would not be so bad.

The problem, is, of course, that they are cheap, they can hit pretty much the whole field, their explosive shot can kill 30-50% of a unit with one hit, and mass can easily compensate for any accuracy problems.

Tsavong
04-07-2009, 09:29
They also demoralise so units rout faster.

Puzz3D
04-07-2009, 15:48

You will still have terrain, weather, morale and fatigue effects along with whatever rps is present. Your army composition would be based upon the expected terrain, the expected weather, the tactics you like to employ and also what kind of army you expect to face. That final point is very important because, in a game where the cost/benifit ratio of all the units is equal, the enemy can bring a wide variety of army types. This means you have to "know your enemy" (Sun Tzu) before you can make an educated guess at what type of army he will select. When you start guessing right it will influence your enemy to choose a different kind of army. Then a cat and mouse type of game in army selection will develop among players who play each other a lot. The game takes on a psychological factor which is missing in a game with unbalanced units.

In an unbalanced game, even some of the best players will use whatever exploits they can find, and you'll stand no chance against them unless you employ the same exploits. Asking them to stop using exploits won't work, and I know this from years of first hand experience with TW multiplayer. The degree of imbalance is important, but in a game between closely matched opponents it doesn't take much of an imbalance to force both teams to use the exploits if one of them does.

Yun Dog
04-08-2009, 01:19
Having already stated that I think mortars need to be nurfed. I am starting to understand the necessity of them.

The maps are generally very biased toward one team, the other team usually starts the game in an inferior position.

This results in one team 'camping it up' and who can blame them, why would you leave a superior position.

So the inferior team must manover into range of the camped team and voila as soon as your arty is in range it is promptly destroyed and you are forced to attack the hill position.

Last night I fought against two guys who clearly knew the map, knew where they would start, had an almost perfect defensive position, I think they had to move 1 unit the whole game. I dont blame them, thats good play to do otherwise would be mad. Then I was thinking gee I wish I had some mortars to unsettle them. But no they made it very clear it was a no mortar game.

This is where its starting to get real cheesy, no mortar games attracts camping like flies to a turd. You can say "No Mortars" but you cant have game thats "No Campers" and to some degree the maps dont lend themselves to it.

Bottom line be wary of the no mortar games cause you can almost guarentee theres a lil spider in there.

There needs to be a new set of 'thought out' maps that balance the terrain adv/dis a bit better, and tak into account arty range when they design them. Cause 9/10 by the time you get your arty into position it will have been destroyed, and then theres 1 tactic left to you.

Given all the camping Im starting to think mortars are a necessary evil :gah:

Megas Methuselah
04-09-2009, 07:32
Having already stated that I think mortars need to be nurfed. I am starting to understand the necessity of them.

The maps are generally very biased toward one team, the other team usually starts the game in an inferior position.

This results in one team 'camping it up' and who can blame them, why would you leave a superior position.

So the inferior team must manover into range of the camped team and voila as soon as your arty is in range it is promptly destroyed and you are forced to attack the hill position.

Last night I fought against two guys who clearly knew the map, knew where they would start, had an almost perfect defensive position, I think they had to move 1 unit the whole game. I dont blame them, thats good play to do otherwise would be mad. Then I was thinking gee I wish I had some mortars to unsettle them. But no they made it very clear it was a no mortar game.

This is where its starting to get real cheesy, no mortar games attracts camping like flies to a turd. You can say "No Mortars" but you cant have game thats "No Campers" and to some degree the maps dont lend themselves to it.

Bottom line be wary of the no mortar games cause you can almost guarentee theres a lil spider in there.

There needs to be a new set of 'thought out' maps that balance the terrain adv/dis a bit better, and tak into account arty range when they design them. Cause 9/10 by the time you get your arty into position it will have been destroyed, and then theres 1 tactic left to you.

Given all the camping Im starting to think mortars are a necessary evil :gah:

Scare those kids off with Fergusons or Native Americans. I love whipping those suckers as the Powhatan Confederacy; they never know what hits them. :crowngrin:

Oleander Ardens
04-10-2009, 17:55
Well the Defense is the stronger form, als Clausewitz tells us. With equal ressources it is easy to use terrain features to achieve a great advantage by defending. Usually the attacker would only attack if he had enough ressources to do so of if it was the best course of action. In the TW games both have equal gold and thus the attacker is disadvantaged in difficult terrain. I would thus like to have balanced maps and equal ressources and also interesting maps with unequal ressources.

Mortars are excellent for bombarding campers, sadly they are so unbalanced that they need to banned. A lot of artillery helps against campers which are not able to win the CB duel even with their natural advantages. I generally like Howitzers for the task, but of course it is hard to get the numbers right. Too few and they will get counter-fired, too much and you will be outnumberd against an agressive enemy.

Ishmael
05-10-2009, 03:10
Ok folks, i'm curious-as of the latest patch, mortar cost has nearly doubled in singleplayer, and i assume this has carried over into multiplayer. So do you feel that they are properly balanced now?

Majora1988
05-11-2009, 00:17
Massed mortar batteries means that the opponent has neglected to bring enough infantry to fight with you, or that he has neglected his cavalry, or that he didn't bring skirmishers.

Mortar's effectiveness is overplayed by people online, to defeat mortar wielding players, all one must do is get into line infantry range of his army. Mortar is completely ineffective at close range, effectively neutralizing a large portion of the money the player spent. If the player keeps his mortars away from the rest of his army, then send your cavalry directly at him. If you brought a sufficient cavalry force, and run to the mortars, they will not be able to whittle down your cavalry enough to defeat the charge.

This is all my opinion of course, but it seems to work everytime I face someone with mass mortar batteries.

Evil_Maniac From Mars
05-11-2009, 01:23
Massed mortar batteries means that the opponent has neglected to bring enough infantry to fight with you, or that he has neglected his cavalry, or that he didn't bring skirmishers.

Mortar's effectiveness is overplayed by people online, to defeat mortar wielding players, all one must do is get into line infantry range of his army. Mortar is completely ineffective at close range, effectively neutralizing a large portion of the money the player spent. If the player keeps his mortars away from the rest of his army, then send your cavalry directly at him. If you brought a sufficient cavalry force, and run to the mortars, they will not be able to whittle down your cavalry enough to defeat the charge.

1) He brings light infantry, deploying stakes around the mortars. All you need is four.
2) Four or so mortars are enough to cause MASSIVE casualties to your advancing armies.
3) You don't have time to get across the map before you are mauled.

stormofsparks
05-31-2009, 12:53
I brief how to on approaching mortars

mortars leave the tube and there aim point is already determined, using there advanced physics degrees these mortar crews dont actually aim at your troops, they aim at where they think your troops will be and with amazing accuracy. However this can be exploited.

begin running to them, wait for the mortars to fire, halt all units, a hail of mortar rounds will land harmlessly 10 feet in front of you.
now as they fire more there reload will variable and pretty soon you cant do this BUT for 2 or 3 rounds (i.e. the time needed to close) it works beautifully.
alternatly you could be stopped and begin running but then second rank units could be hit and of course your not moving toward them while you wait for them to fire irregardless do this i assure you you'll see a massive decrease in mortar deaths from the intital volleys while charging them.

Megas Methuselah
06-01-2009, 22:09
Ok folks, i'm curious-as of the latest patch, mortar cost has nearly doubled in singleplayer, and i assume this has carried over into multiplayer. So do you feel that they are properly balanced now?

Mortars are still cheap weapons. Combine that with the fact that you can deploy in a corner of the map with your flanks protected by the edges of the map itself, and it just isn't fun...

Tomisama
06-02-2009, 03:06
Mortars are still cheap weapons. Combine that with the fact that you can deploy in a corner of the map with your flanks protected by the edges of the map itself, and it just isn't fun...

It’s the same old stuff, just a different day. Abuse of the red line, corner camping, unit spamming, the use of siege weapons in a field battle, nothing new here. In competition circles we call it cheating, because these actions take advantage of unintended aspects of the game.

The people who do use these factors to their advantage, either do not realize that they are destroying the very community that they seek to play in, or they are too immature to care. Education cures a few, time a few more, the rest lose interest and with no more easy victories, move on.

It’s the same with every new release, and it all works out in the end. The way to survive the ignorant and arrogant players, is to develop friendships with people you can trust not to do these things. Folks who know the multiplayer requires other people, and who have a sense of fair play.

Puzz3D
06-12-2009, 09:36
It’s the same old stuff, just a different day. Abuse of the red line, corner camping, unit spamming, the use of siege weapons in a field battle, nothing new here. In competition circles we call it cheating, because these actions take advantage of unintended aspects of the game.
The game can be balanced so that these exploits do not work. I know because we have a version of total war where these exploits do not work.

It's not cheating to take advantage of exploits in the game. The exploits shouldn't exist.

Fisherking
06-20-2009, 18:18
I guess I just don’t understand the whole issue. If it is massed artillery then you disperse your force and present a poor target to the enemy.

Longer lines and fewer ranks should work with spacing between your units. If they are vulnerable to horse then use that.

If someone thinks up a tactic then it is up to you to exploit that tactics weaknesses. Each side strives to be the stronger and to not give the other guy a chance to do to you what you want to do to him.

Battles are about tactics.

Tactics are simply making the best use of the men and weapons at your disposal.

Find a counter tactic and embarrass the **** out of them! :laugh4: