PDA

View Full Version : Official .org ETW Hardcoded thread.

pevergreen
03-16-2009, 09:20
Chairman has asked me to start this thread.

What is it? Basically a list of hardcoded limits, or lack thereof.

So far, what I know (this post will be edited as all of you mailman posts) :tongue: Its just me and him anyway! :laugh4:

Units: seems to be unlimited per unit card, some going to 12 000 and beyond, yet large numbers make it unplayable.
Units per army: Seems to be more than 20, though those after twenty do not show up on the UI (scenario battles only at this point)
Number of religions: ?
Faction limit: presumably no limit
Region limit: presumably no limit
Government types: no information
tech tree: no information (you can modify how long it takes to research, but as for changing what they do/adding new ones...)
Trade theatres/Theatres: hopefully we can, AFAIK no information

Any more you lot can think of?

chairman
03-16-2009, 19:41
Thanks pevergreen:2thumbsup:!

Other ones that I can think of are: how many cultures? How many total units in game? How many small settlements per province? How many buildings in game? How many buildings per province/city/settlement?

Are there any hardcoded reforms like the Marian reforms from RTW?

What is the model limit?

What is the max area size for battlemaps?

Does the campaign map have a size limit?

Can the battle map buildings and structures be modded or are they stuck like RTW/M2TW?

What is the water/land ratio of the campmaign map? (I know that some mods have had to add unusede land to balance this out)

Does the Horde function exist ingame?

Can dead factions be resurrected?

How many weapons per unit? (2? 3? unlimited?)

That's all I have for now.

Chairman

Jazzy
03-17-2009, 04:49
What I ask me whether units are graphical subdivideable or if the graphic of units are coherent by coding?

E.g. (x = 1 guy, o = officer, d = drummer, s = flagbearer)

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx o xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx d xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx s xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx - xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Because if this was not hardcoded it may be possible to use it as attributs for certain units, e.g. achieved by a technic.

- It is just a theoretical idea.

It might even be possible to create mixed units, like an 16-17th tactical order

mmmmmm ppppppp mmmmmm
mmmmmm ppppppp mmmmmm
mmmmmm ppppppp mmmmmm etc.
mmmmmm ppppppp mmmmmm
mmmmmm ppppppp mmmmmm
mmmmmm ppppppp mmmmmm

m = musketeer; p = pikemen

Mailman653
03-17-2009, 06:10
Taking that concept further, also if it's possible to add extra "s" or two, maybe even adding mounted officer and making the foot officer into a sargent or something similiar.

MikeV
04-10-2009, 00:35
Chairman has asked me to start this thread.

What is it? Basically a list of hardcoded limits, or lack thereof.

So far, what I know (this post will be edited as all of you mailman posts) :tongue: Its just me and him anyway! :laugh4:

Units: seems to be unlimited per unit card, some going to 12 000 and beyond, yet large numbers make it unplayable.
Units per army: Seems to be more than 20, though those after twenty do not show up on the UI (scenario battles only at this point)
Number of religions: ?
Faction limit: presumably no limit
Region limit: presumably no limit
Government types: no information
tech tree: no information (you can modify how long it takes to research, but as for changing what they do/adding new ones...)
Trade theatres/Theatres: hopefully we can, AFAIK no information

Any more you lot can think of?
Anything that's in the code, and can't be changed in a mod, is "hard-coded." Most everything else is in a table somewhere, packed into a file (such as main.pack (https://forums.totalwar.org/wiki/index.php/ETW_Data#main.pack)).