PDA

View Full Version : Starting Countdown To End Deployment

Tomisama
05-26-2009, 00:46
I believe a new policy rule over at the Clan Wars Competition would also be of great benefit to all multiplayer games. Holding off starting the End Deployment countdown until everyone is ready is just good manners, and will lead to more organized and thereby higher quality games.

Starting Countdown To End Deployment

In the interest of fairness and good sportsmanship, and as a convention of our contest community, we ask that no player click to start the deployment countdown in our contest Battles.

The game Host is responsible to ask and confirm that all are ready to begin the Battle, and is the only player authorized in our competitions to start that countdown.

Re-Hosting can be requested should any other player initialize the countdown prematurely, and there is an objection to proceeding as is.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation. http://clanwars3540.yuku.com/topic/946

Please do not click on End Deployment until all are agreed.

:charge:

Jochi Khan
05-26-2009, 14:08
This is something that has been annoying me in a few games that I have played.
Now I see why the game has started before I have completed deploying my units. Thanks for the heads up Tomi.:2thumbsup:

This is something that CA should have built into the game setup.
Meaning.....game only starts when either the Host or ALL players have clicked the End Deployment button.
I would prefer for the Host to be responsible for clicking it when he sees all other players are ready.

Tomisama
05-27-2009, 00:28
This is something that CA should have built into the game setup.

:yes:

It has always been that all had to agree. Don't know what happened to this game?

Megas Methuselah
05-28-2009, 08:44
When I'm fighting with and against random people, I always click the button as soon as the map loads. This is to help prevent any people with mortars from packing away in the corner of the map. :no:

Tomisama
05-28-2009, 12:46
When I'm fighting with and against random people, I always click the button as soon as the map loads. This is to help prevent any people with mortars from packing away in the corner of the map. :no:

I won't knowingly play in a game with mortars, rockets, or 64-lber cannon, imo these are Siege Battle weapons and have no proper place on a Classic Land battlefield. They are too powerful, and severely unbalance and devalue the game.

Sorry that you have to put up with them at all :sad:

Megas Methuselah
05-28-2009, 18:55
I have to say it, though; it is extremely satisfying destroying two mortar-spam armies all by myself while my ally cowered away out of range in a ranked battle.

Pinxit
05-31-2009, 02:01
Good manners!? Pah! I always click the end deployment phase button _directly_. This always results in my opponent getting frustrated and performing poorly. Its simple tactics and have nothing to do about manners. If you cant deploy your forces in 60 seconds you need to learn how to think faster.

stormofsparks
05-31-2009, 11:46
pinxit tactics are many things but i'm not sure clicking an end deployment button constitues one of them :P
against newb players your hurting them.
against veteran players they think your a jackass and arent bothered because no good player sets up one of those elaborate defense in depth i'll throw rings of stakes followed by skirm followed by lines in the middle with cav and arty and blah blah blah your going to lose anyways crap.
I think its very funny when i fight this, I wish they would just take all there unit flags and run up a white flag with the word newb written on it.
Anyone who thinks they are amazing original with awesome tactics because they can camp a hill with a bunch of stakes and arty is going to spend 20 minutes deploying carefully set up and then die in a blaze of glory anyway because a good player is going to roll over your poor unit choices and lack of microing and complete ignorance of what units each army has and what there good for and how to counter them anyways.

THE ONLY TIME END DEPLOYMENT IS REALLY ANNOYING
large lag forcing me to not be able to deploy properly even as a vetern player in 60 seconds.

But lets be honest even in a headlong charge your infantry are going to take 5 minutes to reach me, i may not be set up now, but i will be by the time you arrive.

as such I dont see this as an issue, its annoying but really not annoying enough to address, new players aren't that great, eloborate deployments won't fix that, only time and matches, if you indeed did wait till a group of vets were ready it'd probably be sub 90 seconds max anyways.

Pinxit
05-31-2009, 21:07
pinxit tactics are many things but i'm not sure clicking an end deployment button constitues one of them :P
against newb players your hurting them.
against veteran players they think your a jackass and arent bothered because no good player sets up one of those elaborate defense in depth i'll throw rings of stakes followed by skirm followed by lines in the middle with cav and arty and blah blah blah your going to lose anyways crap.
I think its very funny when i fight this, I wish they would just take all there unit flags and run up a white flag with the word newb written on it.
Anyone who thinks they are amazing original with awesome tactics because they can camp a hill with a bunch of stakes and arty is going to spend 20 minutes deploying carefully set up and then die in a blaze of glory anyway because a good player is going to roll over your poor unit choices and lack of microing and complete ignorance of what units each army has and what there good for and how to counter them anyways.

THE ONLY TIME END DEPLOYMENT IS REALLY ANNOYING
large lag forcing me to not be able to deploy properly even as a vetern player in 60 seconds.

But lets be honest even in a headlong charge your infantry are going to take 5 minutes to reach me, i may not be set up now, but i will be by the time you arrive.

as such I dont see this as an issue, its annoying but really not annoying enough to address, new players aren't that great, eloborate deployments won't fix that, only time and matches, if you indeed did wait till a group of vets were ready it'd probably be sub 90 seconds max anyways.

I agree that it might hurt new players. But they will learn the hard way ;) Besides. It is tactics. And if not tactics, then common sense. If I know that I can deploy my forces in 60 seconds, and know for sure that my opponent usually cant, then it would be a tactical error of me to let him spend the time he needs. I mean, come on! Ney to Napoleon during the battle of Waterloo: "What, are you advancing? But... surely, we must wait another four days so that Wellington can deploy his forces more properly. Its good manners."
*Resulting in Napoleon gently placing his sword in Neys heart and then twisting it*

I am sorry, but I do not agree that this is in any way bad manner. With the possible exception that it might hurt new players. But thats a minor issue, since new players will learn.

Tomisama
06-01-2009, 11:56
It is not a tactic or a strategy, or even common sense; it is a rude trick that takes advantage of a weakness in game development.

This is the first Total War game in 10 years to allow games to end deployment without the consent of all of the players involved.

The request to patch this discrepancy is in, I only hope that it is fixed soon.

Jochi Khan
06-01-2009, 20:05
It is not a tactic or a strategy, or even common sense; it is a rude trick that takes advantage of a weakness in game development.

This is the first Total War game in 10 years to allow games to end deployment without the consent of all of the players involved.

I totally agree with you on this one Tomisama

Megas Methuselah
06-01-2009, 22:03
You guys can go ahead and hope for that. I'd rather hope that mortars and the heavier artillery are removed from classic land battles. :no:

Fryslagg
06-02-2009, 04:46
Empire Total War is the first Total War game online and I have to say that I agree with Pinxit 60 seconds should be enough to deploy your army. I don't press the button as soon as the game starts I deploy my units and then I press the button and writes glhf to my opponent. If it is such a big deal why not just state that no one is to press the button before a certain amount of time has passed, it would be like having a no rush rule in Star Craft.

I have to say that I was more hurt as a new player by not knowing the different stats that units have then by some one pressing the end deployment button before I was ready. However I am prepared to loose 50 games in a row to learn enough to win my 51st game that is how I have learned to play a lot of games online. In my humble opinion I prefer this system over having to wait for every player to agree to start the game, because this cuts down the amount of time it takes for a game to start.

Majora1988
06-02-2009, 05:00
I tend to ask my opponent to tell me when I'm ready. Other people tend to not be so courteous. Luckily I can deploy my army in about 30 seconds, so it doesn't effect me at all.

Tomisama
06-02-2009, 12:39
I tend to ask my opponent to tell me when I'm ready. Other people tend to not be so courteous. Luckily I can deploy my army in about 30 seconds, so it doesn't effect me at all.

I sincerely appreciate your effort to try to make things better by simply asking if your opponent is ready. That’s the spirit!

Of course this is especially important in team games. Some of the eight player battles can last upwards to two hours, and the deployment phase is the last chance to leave the keyboard for a drink or whatever.

Deployment is also the time when friends and strangers get a quick chance to wish each other “glhf” (Good Luck and Have Fun). This is ritual along with “gg” (Good Game) at the end of the fighting, is the equivalent to shaking hands between cyber warriors. This thread of chivalry is the tradition that shows our consideration for each other, helps hold us together as a community, and separates us from the beasts of the field.

GL & HF All :)