PDA

View Full Version : How can one mod-out gale-force winds in grand campaign?

hoof
07-11-2009, 05:02
I get a 100% reliable CTD whenever I fight a sea battle and the winds are "gale" force. This is reproducable by fighting a stand-alone battle with gale-force winds. Obviously, this crash won't get fixed until the next patch. I tried dropping visual quality to minimum, swapping my ATI 4870 with an NVidia 8800GT, swapping system memory, everything I could think of. I'm running with version 1.3 with the hot-fix (Steam claims I'm up-to-date as of 7/10/09)

Does anyone know how to modify the game so there are never any sea battles with gale-force winds? Is it even possible? Thanks for your help.

Mailman653
07-11-2009, 05:20
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=5501977#post5501977

Maybe that helps? You have a very strange sounding bug.

hoof
07-11-2009, 06:33
Thanks for the reply. From your link, I tracked down the Pack file tool. In the db part of main.pack, I found an area called sea_climate_details. I suspect that's the area I need to modify, unfortunately, Pack File Manager 1.11 can't read that section :( So I guess I'm on a quest to figure out how to modify that area, or find another area to modify to solve my problem. Again, thanks for your help.

hoof
07-11-2009, 06:55
I found a work-around. Using the pack file editor, I opened up the seasurfaces.pack file, and made the wind_level_4_sea and wind_level_4_swell parts a copy of the level_3 parts. Now the game no longer crashes! It looks like whatever was cratering me was in the level_4 data. Hopefully this only affects the visuals, which I can live with :) Again, thanks for your help.