PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Napoleon: Total War (Official Expansion Thread)

pevergreen
08-19-2009, 12:25
Total War brings a legend to life

Step into the shoes of the legendary French general, Napoleon Bonaparte, in the new chapter of the critically acclaimed and massively popular Total War series.
In Napoleon: Total War, aspiring generals have the chance to play as the legendary French general Napoleon Bonaparte or as one of his rivals.
The turn-based campaign is split into three different story-driven episodes, following the rise and fall of Napoleon, from his Italian and Egyptian campaigns to his famous showdown with the Duke of Wellington at The Battle of Waterloo.
Napoleon: Total War expands on the successful Total War series by taking all the features from previous games such as the full 3D land and naval battles, the detailed campaign map, and an in-depth diplomacy system and taking them a step further.

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (August 19th, 2009) – SEGA Europe Ltd. and SEGA of America, Inc. today announced Napoleon: Total War, the first in an all-new story driven branch of The Creative Assembly’s multi award winning Total War RTS franchise. Napoleon: Total War will keep the franchise’s genre-leading 3D battles on land and sea. The turn-based campaign is split into three different story-driven campaigns, telling the story of the rise and fall of Napoleon Bonaparte through his most famous battles.

In Napoleon: Total War, aspiring generals have the chance to play as the legendary French general Napoleon Bonaparte or as one of his opposing factions. Battling through his three biggest military campaigns, the game will take you through Italy and Egypt, narrating the early years of the fearsome commander, while the third campaign will tell the story of his fateful drive towards Moscow and, ultimately, his showdown with the Duke of Wellington at one of the most famous battles of all – The Battle of Waterloo.

“In Napoleon: Total War you get to actually be Napoleon - to face the problems he faced, to win the battles he won, and to build the Empire he built. Or better,” commented Mike Simpson, Creative Director at The Creative Assembly and father of the Total War franchise. “However, the game allows you to step in the shoes of his opposing generals as well, allowing the player to rewrite history as they see fit.”

Napoleon: Total War expands on the successful Total War series by taking all the features from previous games such as the full 3D land and naval battles, the detailed campaign map, and an in depth diplomacy system and taking them a step further.

Napoleon: Total War hits shelves in February 2010.

For more information please visit www.totalwar.com/napoleon or www.sega.com

For assets and press registration please visit http://www.sega-press.com

http://www.sega-australia.com/news/?n=3411

Didz
08-19-2009, 12:31
Just received from SEGA

David, (my name) can you rival Napoleon?
http://www.sega.co.uk/games/napoleon-total-war/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7RHiyWHuV0

pevergreen
08-19-2009, 12:33
Yup, thats what the first part is, the email to all subscribers.

Didz
08-19-2009, 12:47
The question is will it be “In Napoleon: Total War you get to actually be Napoleon - to face the problems he faced, to win the battles he won, and to build the Empire he built. Or better,” commented Mike Simpson, Creative Director at The Creative Assembly and father of the Total War franchise. “However, the game allows you to step in the shoes of his opposing generals as well, allowing the player to rewrite history as they see fit.”

Or will it be ETW with slightly different Napoleonesce fantasy uniforms, refighting the American Civil War in Europe using mythical weapons.

Tsavong
08-19-2009, 13:26
Isn't it a stand alone game not an expansion.

antisocialmunky
08-19-2009, 13:32
This is going to make modding strange if its stand-alone...

Also, what happened to Spain? Italy, N. Africa, and Moscow but no Spain? I don't think he was actually there but still.

Tsavong
08-19-2009, 13:51
IGN Napolen Total War Preview (http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/101/1014877p1.html)

Veho Nex
08-19-2009, 14:03
Damnit CA... FIX YOUR GAME FIRST PLEASE!! Don't go expanding till your sitting on a stone chair not a sand one...

pevergreen
08-19-2009, 14:07
Its no being released for 6 months...

The simple fact that they have improved so much so quickly makes me sad. This should have been E:TW.

Regardless, if they are releasing their evolution so quickly, their next revolution must not be that far off... Think 2011/2012 for...Shogun and Rome 2?

Rowan
08-19-2009, 14:16
Its no being released for 6 months...

The simple fact that they have improved so much so quickly makes me sad. This should have been E:TW.

Regardless, if they are releasing their evolution so quickly, their next revolution must not be that far off... Think 2011/2012 for...Shogun and Rome 2?

They'll be wanting to use their shiny new naval combat engine so I'm betting on Rome 2.

miniwally
08-19-2009, 14:54
Just thought i'd give you link to how they're taking it on TWC

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=288217

Husar
08-19-2009, 14:58
Boooooring! :juggle2:

Ok, it picks up where ETW ends but I'm not going to buy this one right away, possibly never, maybe if ETW actually has a campaign AI by that time.

A Terribly Harmful Name
08-19-2009, 16:47
Ugh, an expansion already? I think the one who summed about it about fighting with mythical weapons is right. ETW sucks, NTW (not the Lordz thing!) will prolly suck even more. And be mod unfriendly to boot.

Krusader
08-19-2009, 18:35
Boooooring! :juggle2:

Ok, it picks up where ETW ends but I'm not going to buy this one right away, possibly never, maybe if ETW actually has a campaign AI by that time.

I'm not buying anymore TW titles. Don't think the majority in EB team are either, if the recent comments on the internal fora are indicative.

Discoman
08-19-2009, 19:10
Story driven campaigns? This is what I feared. I guess this means that we can't conquer certain parts of the map, or play as certain nations. If it was just the Napoleonic era, and you could play as anyone you wanted. I'd be much happier with this.

Right now, it's a pass for me.

Jack Lusted
08-19-2009, 19:12
There is a grand campaign style campaign on Europe in Napoleon.

mlp071
08-19-2009, 19:29

Ok ...and? Is it same shallow , no-AI campaign that we have now?I am sorry , but CA has done seeing my money , and judging on response from 3 different forums i am not alone.

What happened to "magnificent AI", moding tools and "most modable version of TW " that we were told about prior to ETW release.I guess we consumers were beta testing game for you, and payed to do that in addition.So no thanks...ever again.

Saying that , i suggest to everyone to keep away from any CA product, until they make their words count.Otherwise we will never see decent game from them again.

Sheogorath
08-19-2009, 19:30
Cynic says: This is CA's way of saying "Sorry guys, we screwed up with ETW. Here's another game that works. $60 please."

Optimist says: This is a good opportunity for CA to actually listen to the community this time around. They can screw with ETW and turn it into Starcraft all they want, while making NTW into a good and somewhat realistic strategy game.

College Student Says: Where am I gonna get that $60?

Martok
08-19-2009, 19:41
Temporarily stickied.

Well that's something, at least. Although to be blunt, I too feel CA has no business working on an expansion when the original game still needs some heavy-duty patching before it's worth playing again.

econ21
08-19-2009, 20:11

That sounds good - the Napoleonic wars are very well suited to the TW model: lots of warring factions at each other's throats. Losing India and America may be a plus if it allows more provinces in Europe. I think restricting the number of homeland provinces in ETW made it too easy to permanently knock out a major faction. Contrast that with the Spanish ulcer or the invasion of Russia, where two factions were almost impossible to knock-out. Some kind of faction re-emergence or other mechanic would be good, e.g. to model the re-emergence of Prussia and to some extent Austria after their defeats (heck, even France itself in 1815).

GeneralHankerchief
08-19-2009, 20:27
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm going to give this one a shot. Aside from the fact that I love the era and was devastated that they left this out of ETW proper, the past two installments in the Total War series have seen expansions that were better than their original counterparts. Kingdoms in particular. I think the trend will continue here.

Discoman
08-19-2009, 20:40

So that means no Americas or India? How will this effect things like the Louisiana purchase, or Britain's income from controlling India? Will there still be trade spots that we can get resources from? Will we see new resources now that the player probably won't be able to get tobacco, coffee, and tea?

Alexander the Pretty Good
08-19-2009, 21:35
Well if it's standalone at least I don't have to buy Empire.

dejan07
08-19-2009, 21:44
I agree with you Alexander the Pretty Good!
My thoughts precisely! :laugh4:

pevergreen
08-19-2009, 23:29

Yet the IGN piece stated this was the evolution, so, keeping to your trend, next should be a new engine, with the associated revolution.

Which leads us to believe that there will be no expansion pack for E:TW though this could easily be seen as one.

seireikhaan
08-20-2009, 03:42
Nope. Not getting it. The current state of ETW is appalling. The game has gotten progressively more and more unplayable as the patches have progressed. Give me some AI that treats individual nations as actual nations, not speedbumps that throw themselves upon the player to halt progress. Give me AI that has at least some concept of how to resolve a war. THAT is what I need improved in the game. Not fancier animations, not fancier uniforms, not elimination of clone armies.

Grr...

Mailman653
08-20-2009, 03:54
No War of 1812 (in its entirety and playable as both US and England)? :bigcry:

Monk
08-20-2009, 05:10
I understand this is a very exciting time for CA but...

whatever happened to the multiplayer campaign beta? Is that now planned for N:TW? Will we need to buy N:TW for MP campaign? Is it even on the drawing board at this point? Understand this was a huge selling point of ETW for me and was hyped like crazy right before launch.

Sheogorath
08-20-2009, 05:47

whatever happened to the multiplayer campaign beta? Is that now planned for N:TW? Will we need to buy N:TW for MP campaign? Is it even on the drawing board at this point? Understand this was a huge selling point of ETW for me and was hyped like crazy right before launch.

I think they're hoping we'll forget about that.

HopAlongBunny
08-20-2009, 05:51
I'll wait for the reviews from players.

I did not buy ETW; the games leading up to it were progressively worse. From what ppl have said about ETW I think I made the right choice.

Napoleon sounds like a dream come true; everything is there in the engine to make it work, I just don't feel CA can. CA has demonstrated an inability to deliver an opponent AI worthy of my time (let alone money)

Just MHO, I would be very happy to be proved wrong.

Owen Glyndwr
08-20-2009, 06:21
What it's really starting to sound like to me, is CA rolled out this "new engine" for N:TW and charged us $50 for it so they could receive our feedback and appropriately finetune the engine so they could paste the tested engine onto N:TW and sell this to us as a finished product...for another $50.

In essence we have been their unwitting Guinea Pigs. Paying Beta testers, in the fullest sense of the term.

I'm sorry CA, but you will not get another cent out of me. I don't care if N: TW turns out to be the masterstroke of strategy games and one of the greatest video games of all time. I'm tired of the empty promises. I'm tired of the simulated hype. I'm tired of the falsified p/reviews, and most of all, I'm tired of playing unfinished products.

Come back here once you learn how to treat your long-time fans as valued customers and not walking wallets waiting to be scammed out of their money, and then we can talk games. Until then I'll be playing EB, thank you very much.

Veho Nex
08-20-2009, 06:38
CA is starting to sound like EA before the big spore scene...

aimlesswanderer
08-20-2009, 07:26
It sounds great, but then again ETW sounded great too - and it has gotten worse as more "fixes" (non reversible ones too) have been released. :furious3: They really should fix the current game rather than devote all those resources to a new one. :wall:

I will definitely not be buying this one until there has been lots of player feedback about how good or bugged it is, unlike previous TW games. Sad, but the whole once bitten twice shy thing comes to mind...

Jack Lusted
08-20-2009, 08:06

The MP campaign beta is still coming for ETW.

Monk
08-20-2009, 09:28

Hm. Well, okay then! Good to know you guys haven't forgotten.

Thanks Lusted.

kitbogha
08-20-2009, 10:25
I still can't get ETW to work on my computer (CTD when you are going to battle screen but ONLY in campaign mode not custom mode), so they are not getting any more of my money. I have been hugely disappointed wth ETW having been an avid fan of the series prior to it.

SaFe
08-20-2009, 11:20
The most important question for me is:
Is it now possible to invade another country, maybe even claim one or two provinces and get a favourable peace treaty without destroying the other faction.
With the exception of Poland no other great countries during this timeframe were totally "absorbed" form the winner.
Maybe the winner installed a puppet regime, but it was still a independent( minus taxes, vassalage tributes or something else) country.
I would find it rather boring to conquer Europe with Napoleon and paint the map in my french blue colours.
Also the re-emerging of counties is not the same thing. Austria and Prussia for example were not destroyed by Napoleon. They still existed, although defeated.

Ibn-Khaldun
08-20-2009, 11:59
Have anyone thought that it's SEGA who pushes CA to make another game? Perhaps CA would finish ETW if they could but with SEGA on their back they can't? AFAIK, ETW was very popular and it would be easy to use it's popularity to make another game with the same time period.

EDIT: Also, Orgahs should consider the fact that many of those who bought ETW never visit any of the forums and actually don't know how many faults ETW have.

mlp071
08-20-2009, 12:16

Very appropriate name for it , considering that rest of the game is still beta also.And thank you for letting us pay for beta testing your game :thumbsdown:

Now we will move on and waste yet more money for finished(highly unlikely) product that we actually were suppose to get at the first place.:no:

HopAlongBunny
08-20-2009, 12:17
Have anyone thought that it's SEGA who pushes CA to make another game?

Yes. It also doesn't matter. An inferior product is just that; I do not doubt that CA could produce something worthwhile, its just that they don't. Point fingers anywhere you want, in the end I have to judge them on the product I receive.

pevergreen
08-20-2009, 12:47
Its simple fact that the community will never be happy.

I made a big post somewhere else, but this gmae is unfinished = unhappy.
Blizzard delays games until finished = unhappy.

deal with it. :shrug:

pevergreen
08-20-2009, 13:36
Interesting find on the CA website:

Job vacancy:

Auction systems programmer -
ideally you will have worked on a shipped title including an in-game auction system, but you will certainly have good database and networking skills, including scalability and security.

Uhh...what? Like Auction as in MMO auction, selling items and so forth? If so...wow. What could this be for?

antisocialmunky
08-20-2009, 13:41
Is it the same CA studio that's doing NTW or is it the main one that did ETW?

al Roumi
08-20-2009, 13:48
Interesting find on the CA website:
Uhh...what? Like Auction as in MMO auction, selling items and so forth? If so...wow. What could this be for?

Doesn't sound like a great development to me, especially if it has anything to do with the mp beta...

Maybe you can buy your general Napoleon's saddle-cloth for a a morale booster to your army or something equally idiotic.

This whole thing is completely absurd. Who on earth at CA or SEGA thought it was a good idea to cut and run from ETW so quickly? And the cheek to email all subscribers to SEGA about being "ready for a challenge", well they are bloody running away from one.

meh.

Durallan
08-20-2009, 15:16
Just to be the Devils Advocate for a minute and throw a spanner in the works and make everyone think outside the square,

Most of the programming has been done in Empire Total War, considering NTW is using the same engine there isn't going to be a whole lot for the programmers to do, which they would more likely be spending time on getting the Campaign and Battle AI up a few notches, but as an open letter to CA and Sega, Again, if the CAI and BAI isn't up to scratch in your expansion (or up to scratch by the time its released), No more Total War games for me.

I do not expect the AI to do everything I think they should do (life isn't fair generally) but,

1 The AI needs to figure out how to play the game and have a chance of winning (forming alliances allying with like minded countries, Good relations etc) cause right now none of them get that big without player intervention or intentional non-intervention

2 There has to be some way to randomize the outcomes of the game or influence it (random events?), after all it is a game and we do not want to see history repeat itself everytime we play a campaign (do historically minded people agree?) unless the randomization process is the faction that the player choose's themselves and the world organises itself into its different alliances and factions. (or is this too much for the historically minded people?)

3 AI should learn to trade, utilize the trade nodes and manage its economy, they have given up in the later patches (is it really that hard to program the AI to be good at managing the empire? I suppose you want a bit of randomness so not every faction is the same but still...)

4 The AI needs to figure out how to protect its countries, IE don't guard the village, guard the fort or the capital, and don't send raiding parties unless they are excess units, DON'T BREAK UP YOUR ARMY to do it!

5 Better Sieges would be nice, I really don't know how you would do that but it is so lame that they run up to the walls, climb the walls, run to the flag and try to capture it one regiment at a time, coordinated assaults are needed! I know that must be hard for a bunch of routines but it must be done before the expansion is released!

I'm sure there are many other things that can be added to the list, but thats pretty much a bare minimum of STANDARD that I would expect as a consumer if I'm to purchase this expansion as well ( I Pre-Ordered Empire I thought it would be so awesome, and while I was pleasantly suprised with naval battle ( I know a few people were disappointed, but me being so desperate for some sort of age of sail naval simulator thats half decent, I didn't complain) and the shiney graphics, you hurt my feelings CA, you did.):fortune:

gardibolt
08-20-2009, 21:12
Nope. Wasted $50 on Empire, which won't work on my computer, so CA is all done getting money from me. :skull:

If you want me, I'll be playing M2TW.

Equilibrium
08-20-2009, 21:14
Gamestar, a german pc gaming magazine has published a preview from the gamescom at cologne:
http://www.gamestar.de/preview/strategie/echtzeit/1958403/napoleon_total_war.html

So I knocked up a quick translation for all you non-german speakers.

Napoleon: Total War

At the Gamescom we took a first look at Napoleon, the expansion to Empire: Total war.

Napoleon: Total War is not only gonna feature one campaign, but three. In the stand alone Addon for the strategy hit Empire:Total War you will follow the career of the just as powerhungry as well as small frenchman - from general to emperor. The first campaign will lead you to Italy, the second one to Egypt and the near east. The thirds campaigns focus will be the struggle for Europe.

In the first two campaigns you will only command the french army, while having the option of playing as another european nation in the last one. Just like the tutorial campaign in Empire: Total War, you will have to win one campaign to unlock the next. Hence if you feel like going to war as Prussia, you'll have to lead the French to victory beforehand.

Smaller campaign maps

The three campaigns of Napoleon: Total War do not take place on the regular Empire globe, but on special and smaller campaign maps. Napoleons first campaign focuses on northern Italy, the last one on european nations and the western russian border provinces. Take a note: provinces, plural.

Contrary to the very rough world map of empire(with France consisting of just two regions) the scenarios of Napoleon: Total War are divided up into many more areas.

In the campaigns of Napoleon: Total War historical missions will give you a general guideline. In Italy for example, Napoleon does not have to conquer all cites but just important population centres like Milan or Turin. Additionally there are different kind of troops available to the general in each theater. In Italy he commands only unexperienced regiments, in the near east battle proven veterans and mercenaries like camel riders.

Supply lines and Resources

Contrary to Empire you will have to care about the supply of your army, as your troops will continously suffer losses in difficult terrain like snow steppes, deserts and mountains. If one doesnt make sure his suppy lines are intact, he will soon face his Waterloo. To secure the supply of your troops you have to build depots and build up conquered farms. There are also new resources in place on the campaign map of Napoleon: Total War, contrary to Empire though they will not be a source of money but instead bring specific advantages with them. One certain italian province will provide especially robust horses, and through conquering that province you improve the strength of your cavalry.

Cities and Agents

You will expand cities in Napoleon: Total War in three different development paths: industrial, economical or intellectual. Industrial metropoles will provide you with the most advanced troops, economical centers will earn you more tax income and improve the supply of your troops. "Intellectual" cities not only make your citizens happier with buildings like operas, but also allow the recruiting of spies. These agents will replace the rakes of Empire and of course are used to spy on enemy armies and the like - an immense tactical advantage.

Armies and Generals

In the first two campaigns of Napoleon: Total War you'll best avoid casualties as much as possible, since supply is not only costly but recruitment is scheduled to take a lot longer than in Empire. Only in the last campaign there will be more troops at your disposal, since as an Emperor, Napoleon commands the whole french army.

You will not just recruit generals in Napoleon: Total War by clicking a button, but instead choose historical persons from a list of generals. Every one of those leaders will offer certain skills - one might be good at sieges while another one is more efficient at mountain combat. Hence you should choose your general always depending on where your armies are gonna be fighting.
In the real time battles every general now has an area of influence, all allied units within that area profit from a boost in morale. Therefore sending your general directly to the frontline now makes sense. Napoleon himself rides over the battlefields as well and has special talents like a warcry that improves the attack value of all nearby french troops.

Advancements on the battlefield

The developers are promising further gameplay innovations, for example cannon balls will leave their mark on the terrain, i.e. craters - just no major ones. "Our terrain is not completely deformable", says Creative Assembly director of communications, Kieran Brigden. But the craters will have an actual gameplay effect by hindering cavalry and providing limited cover.
Assaults on cities will play out more dynamically as it will take less time to garisson or clear buildings with infantry, which will allow the player to move their troops around more to be able to push back the enemy house by house.
In naval battles the warships profit from new abilities like being able to repair smaller damages themselves - limited of course.

Diplomacy

In the first two campaigns of Napoleon: Total War you won't have to mind about diplomatical finesse as the short frenchman is just a general, not a leader of a country. Only in the last campaign you'll have to care about dealing diplomatically with other countries.
There will be additional options like getting other nations to fight each other, Kieran Brigden did not want to reveal anything detailed. "Let's put it this way", he oracles "You'll be able to do more good to your friends and more bad to your enemies."

AI and Multiplayer

The AI combatants are supposed to be smarter in Napoleon: Total War, and be able to hand the new gameplay mechanics. At least Bigden says so. We can only wait, as Creative Assembly made the AI issues bigger with the patches for Empire: Total War rather than patching them.
Those who at last want to fight against a human adversary in the real time based campaign should be happy as Brigden promises that the beta test of the multiplayer mode for the regular Empire campaign will start before the release of Napoleon: Total War. You will be able to play together both via LAN or the internet, and the european campaign of Napoleon will be playable in this multiplayer mode as well. If this beta test will start early enough will will see at the latest point in the 1st 1. quarter of 2010, which is the scheduled release date of Napoleon: Total War

econ21
08-20-2009, 22:18
Contrary to the very rough world map of empire(with France consisting of just two regions) the scenarios of Napoleon: Total War are divided up into many more areas.

Contrary to Empire you will have to care about the supply of your army, as your troops will continously suffer losses in difficult terrain like snow steppes, deserts and mountains. If one doesnt make sure his suppy lines are intact, he will soon face his Waterloo.

These are two very welcome changes. :2thumbsup:

Mailman653
08-20-2009, 22:18
Sounds interesting.

Yun Dog
08-21-2009, 05:25
Ohh... I get it now.....

colour me red and spank my arse

I was the idiot who bought ETW!! when I shouldve waited and bought the finished NTW instead

Im sorry, silly me for not reading the small print that ETW was a testing release

Im a little DISAPPOINTED about this.

Oh NTW sounds wonderful ... ITs sounds like its everything ETW was sposed to be but wasn't

and yeh it makes me want to buy it

but...

Im afraid I will be the one to suffer for punishing this company for cheating me with ETW

so like Kingdoms I wont be buying NTW and yep I'll probably miss out on the best of the game

Ive really goto learn not to buy the testing title next time if I ever buy a TW again

I feel like I been POKED!!! and it may take some time for that feeling to pass.

:thumbsdown:

Herkus
08-21-2009, 07:31
If I had known that CA is going to release a new stand alone game based almost on the same period, same engine, same system requirements and with many improved features, I wouldn't have bought Empire:TW for 60$ considering its current condition. Worst video game investment of my life.

Tsavong
08-21-2009, 09:53
To me it looks like a standalone add-on or an expansion in all but name. But based on about 3 images and the little info that has been released to the public I could be wrong.

Hopefully some of the fixes and improvements to the AI etc for Napoleon will make it to Empire as they use the same engine and we have this steam thing to give us updates.

As I like Empire, I prefer it to Rome and M2TW not as good as the original and best Medieval. I will probably buy it at some point.

al Roumi
08-21-2009, 10:41
Gamestar, a german pc gaming magazine has published a preview from the gamescom at cologne:
http://www.gamestar.de/preview/strategie/echtzeit/1958403/napoleon_total_war.html

So I knocked up a quick translation for all you non-german speakers.

Waow, thanks for the effort taken to translate that! :balloon2:

Alexander the Pretty Good
08-21-2009, 19:13
Well I don't think this is doing right by the fans who bought Empire, but it sounds pretty good.

Basileus
08-21-2009, 20:55
Lets not forget that it was the same with ETW, its easy to say this and that and the game is going to be awesome but it failed. All in all im very dissapointed and for the first time im not really looking forward to a CA title.

Seneca
08-21-2009, 21:41
I simply will not buy this game. ETW was a major scam IMO, and I stopped playing after a week, cause it was simply boring, I refuse to believe NTW is that much better.

One day CA might release a game again that is worthwile playing, untill then I'll be waiting for EB 2.

Beskar
08-22-2009, 04:42
Lusted, can you confirm whether or not this is an expansion (Like V. I., B. I., Alexander, or Kingdoms etc) or this is a brand new game in the sense of M2:TW is to R:TW.

Edit:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=5804568#post5804568

According to this, N:TW is a stand-alone game, they have done to E:TW what Valve did to Left4Dead. Pour honey in your ear with promises then repackage those into a new game for you to buy.

Perhaps I should have done what I did with the previous titles I own. Buy them all in a Era's boxset for £15 play them and enjoy them, and all the mods that go with them from over the years.

Also, when does E:TW actually get the mod tools released?

Sheogorath
08-22-2009, 05:29
I doubt there will be a response, but I feel compelled to ask as well.

Jack Lusted, what is your response to all the people who feel that ETW was basically a very expensive beta CA essentially conned them into? I'm feeling a little that way myself. I haven't moved into either the "OMG BUY" or the "OMG NEVER AGAIN" camp, but I feel the latter side has some legitimate concerns.

Why so soon? I mean, really, CA's marketing department REALLY should have anticipated this backlash. Do they just not care? What, if anything, will be done to address the concerns and objections brought forward by current ETW owners?

Beskar
08-22-2009, 05:39
Cynical response: "We don't care about you, the silent majority will still buy the game and we will be rolling it in, especially after we bribe reviewers to rate it higher than they such."

Optimistic response: "We will actually deliver on our promises, plus add even more to the game."

What will happen response: "-doesn't reply to question-"

pevergreen
08-22-2009, 06:57
According to this, N:TW is a stand-alone game, they have done to E:TW what Valve did to Left4Dead. Pour honey in your ear with promises then repackage those into a new game for you to buy.

L4D2 will be compatible with L4D. Obviously not new content, but still.

As my post above yours somewhere says, the IGN article states it is a new game, the evolution in the series.

So this thread title is wrong.

Tsavong
08-22-2009, 10:31
I found a link to this at the TWCenter, GameSpot Napoleon: Total War Impressions (http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6215914/napoleon-total-war-impressions)

Best of all, owners of Empire will be able to upgrade their existing game with the new Napoleon engine, giving Empire a new visual lease on life.

If true it seems good news.

Fisherking
08-22-2009, 11:12
Whoopee, so you can see the men’s faces now. How very exciting in a game add-on when the game is still very lacking in function and more importantly, enjoyment...

Fix what’s wrong without breaking more stuff before you hype another title to us, okay.:inquisitive:

antisocialmunky
08-22-2009, 13:34
I found a link to this at the TWCenter, GameSpot Napoleon: Total War Impressions (http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6215914/napoleon-total-war-impressions)

If true it seems good news.

Okay, that's alot better since we won't have a split mod community and hopefully any new AI enhancements and naval combat features carry over too.

Sol Invictus
08-22-2009, 13:56
I won't believe anything until I read about it actually being in the released game. All these vague promises and possible features mean nothing.

Beskar
08-22-2009, 14:33
I remember when all the reviewers were giving E:TW 100/100 before patch 1 when the game didn't even load for 90% of the player base.

Sheogorath
08-22-2009, 16:25
I remember when all the reviewers were giving E:TW 100/1000 before patch 1 when the game didn't even load for 90% of the player base.

I think %10 might be considered a very fair review by some people :P

But I'd say it was more like 1/3 of the user base that couldn't load the game at all.

pevergreen
08-23-2009, 00:32
The vocal ones came and complained, for those that it worked, they didnt.

How it has been, how it always shall be.

Mailman653
08-23-2009, 02:33
So.....are we going to have to still buy NTW to update ETW to the newer graphical improvements, or will this be featured in a 1.5 or 1.6 patch?

Monk
08-23-2009, 03:44
L4D2 will be compatible with L4D. Obviously not new content, but still.

As my post above yours somewhere says, the IGN article states it is a new game, the evolution in the series.

So this thread title is wrong.

A stand-alone expansion can still add content to the original game (Dawn of war and Dark Crusade, for instance). The stand-alone aspect just means it comes with the core files so people won't need to buy ETW to have it, they will just sacrifice in content in some areas if they don't. "Stand alone addons" are still considered expansions, so the title is fine. :thumbsup:

I think it's telling the reactions of many within the community, I've already outlined my feelings as to why in the "How much would you pay" (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=2302560&postcount=29)thread and my feelings have not changed. When I bought ETW i knew it was buggy, but I stuck with it because I knew how much potential it had. CA, you surprised me by keeping at the patching process despite the difficulty and pledged to continue to patch. But when you made that pledge I didn't expect to be facing down the reveal of (what amounts to) a $40 patch hardly five months later. IMO making N:TW a stand-alone when E:TW is still so new was a huge mistake.

Also, I'd like to post a friendly reminder to my fellow Orgahs. Lets keep the focus on ETW and N:TW and not CA, putting words in their mouth and putting specific devs on the spot won't get us the answers we seek.

antisocialmunky
08-23-2009, 04:12
I don't think that they could get away with this sort of thing withey didn't hold such a monopoly on the niche genre.

Oh well, depending on how it connects together, it might work out pretty well. Supreme Commander had the same thing with a standalone expansion and that completely fixed a ton of things and made the game balanced.

pevergreen
08-23-2009, 04:14
Napoleon Total War will build on the engine and framework of Empire Total War, but will add a whole host of new features and extra touches that the developers didn't have time to include in the first game. Kieran Brigden, Communications Manager at Creative Assembly, explains: "The way that Total War development works is we do a kind of evolution-revolution cycle. We create revolutionary technology for one title - in this case Empire, which had a brand new engine written from the ground up - and all new AI. Then, for the next game, we take that technology and evolve it - in this case with Napoleon. We've taken everything we've achieved with Empire and Empire's engine and just pushed it to the limit. Napoleon is essentially the culmination of what we wanted to do with Empire, given the time to take it further."

Bold is what I'm referring to, underline is the part that will anger people.

edyzmedieval
08-23-2009, 21:18
Lovely, a 50$ patch after 5 months. Great job CA. *applauds ironically*

:no:

Nebuchadnezzar
08-24-2009, 00:57
The vocal ones came and complained, for those that it worked, they didnt.

How it has been, how it always shall be.

Actually you have it reversed. Most that have problems never bother to register on a forum and just toss it aside and move on to another game. Thats how it is with items costing less than $100. Thats how its always been and always shall be.

But I'd say it was more like 1/3 of the user base that couldn't load the game at all.

Online polls seem to suggest otherwise, that is if they lasted long enough to be meaningfull before being removed by mods. They vary from between 40 - 50% but in reality this figure would most likely be higher.

Beskar
08-24-2009, 01:15

I meant 100/100, add an extra zero by accident. What I am saying, the reviewers knew nothing of what they were doing.

Sheogorath
08-24-2009, 02:14
Online polls seem to suggest otherwise, that is if they lasted long enough to be meaningfull before being removed by mods. They vary from between 40 - 50% but in reality this figure would most likely be higher.

%50 or %33, both are unacceptable, but all too common these days. I wasn't suggesting that CA was in the clear for making a broken game, just that %99 was a bit hyperbolic.

I meant 100/100, add an extra zero by accident. What I am saying, the reviewers knew nothing of what they were doing.

I know, I was just playing around. And I agree. I have to ask myself if there was something going on behind the scenes in that case.

Of course, just about any hyped game is going to get at least a 90 in every major review forum, so it doesn't matter much :\

Beskar
08-24-2009, 02:23
What was funny was the IGN Prototype review. You must really think there are sometimes backhanders or something, because in the review, it sounds like they didn't give any at all and the reviewer was pretty much:
"I don't even review this genre."
"I wish I could put this down and walk away, but I have to review this as part of my job"
"going around mincing civilians into bloody mess, it is just a tad too much fun for me."

To make it even funnier, Activision used the quote "...a tad too much fun." to sell their game.

antisocialmunky
08-24-2009, 03:34
Its official:

Napoleon is a standalone game due out in February 2010, but it will also integrate into Empire, adding units and new tech trees appropriately as the timeline progresses. The first video can be found on Eurogamer TV.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/napoleon-total-war-preview?page=2

Its a $20-30 patch. That's not too bad. Still won't buy it day one though.

PS. Did anyone rewatch the trailer and realize it was alternate time line where Napolean defeats Russian and invades Britain? He's burning HMS Victory :-p.

pevergreen
08-24-2009, 03:46
This is ok then, its a Dark Crusade to Dawn of War. A stand alone that is really an expansion.

We can relax. It wont be $100 for pever.

Furunculus
08-24-2009, 12:16
Jack, what i really want to know is whether this new "standalone" expansion will upgrade the ETW?

I want to know this because i hate being dependent on Steam for updates and patches, so what i really want is an ETW Gold Edition with all patches applied on install.

Will this be the case?

Cheers.

pevergreen
08-24-2009, 23:27
Define upgrade.

See the post two above your own for a likely answer.

Veho Nex
08-27-2009, 06:19
Is anyone else disturbed by the lack of a french accent until he said his name?

Martok
08-27-2009, 08:54
Not nearly as much as I am by the (as yet) unfixed Black Knight AI. Until the game's major flaws are corrected, I won't worry about the minor ones (however irksome they may be).

pevergreen
08-27-2009, 09:23
Man, no one reads my posts.

Monsieur Louris
08-28-2009, 22:16
Even if they manage to resurrect Napoleon himself, use his brain to code NTW's AI out of it and slap 100,000 troops on screen I'd still find it difficult to get NTW. ETW showed the direction that they are taking so my consumer trust as well as gaming preferences are worlds apart from what I've seen.

antisocialmunky
08-29-2009, 02:49
Perhaps we should do waht the Lordz did and make our own studio :-p.

HopAlongBunny
08-29-2009, 19:20
If Lordz are still producing mods, I'll wait until they get it.

A CA title reworked by them is something to get excited about.

pevergreen
08-30-2009, 03:40
You do realise it will be completely their own engine, and will not be Total War like E:TW.

Reverse engineering is not a good thing.

Meneldil
08-31-2009, 15:39
Will I find some of the complaining a bit too harsh, I'm also puzzled by the annoucement.

ETW hadn't been shiped with the MP campaign. It's definitely not the most moddable TW game ever. The AI ranges from bad (battles) to freaking horrible (diplomacy). The naval battles are lame.

Now, we learn that NTW is soon to be released, and that it will be freaking awesome, fix all that was wrong with ETW and what not? It almost look like ETW was a beta test for NTW.

And please, don't get rid of India and the America. The US played an important role diplomatically and economically, and Napoleon's grand scheme when he invaded Egypt was to get a foothold in India. And I'm not even talking about the 1812 war (which is widely regarded as a part of the napoleonic conflicts), Louisiana

antisocialmunky
09-01-2009, 03:42
Don't forget about Jamaica, mon. http://thorgolucky.com/forum/images/smiles/smiley_rasta.gif

Sheogorath
09-01-2009, 05:37
It'll be interesting to see how they price NTW. If it's full price, I will, of course, be suitably outraged. I might consider it for $20, though.

What I'd REALLY like to see would NTW made available at greatly reduced price to people who already HAVE ETW. Like, %50-%75 off. Just sell the game in two editions, one with all the required content for the game, the other with just the files required to mod ETW to Napoleon.

I dunno if that's doable, but it'd be nice and would help alleviate some of the 'ETW was a beta test and now CA wants to rip us off again.' feeling.

pevergreen
09-01-2009, 05:42
Thats not a bad idea. I'd feel a lot better about it.

However, I predict no chance of that happening. Stupid SEGA >_>

Sheogorath
09-01-2009, 11:25
Likewise. It'd probably be really simple to do with Steam too. In fact, you could go so far as to make the 'People Who Already Own ETW' edition Steam ONLY and sell the 'full' version retail. Then you could still sucker in the people who go for special editions.

Although if they came out with a really spiffy over-the-top version like Modern Warfare 2's I might actually purchase it.

NTW: Collectors Edition: Comes with a LIFE SIZE Napoleon in the box![/short joke]

But really, if they threw in something like, say, a miniature cannon or some nice maps, maybe an artbook, and NOT, I repeat, NOT a bunch of cool units available only to people buying the special edition, it could be quite awesome.

Alas for Sega. I'm going to see if I can find my Genesis and play some Sonic. If it still works.

antisocialmunky
09-02-2009, 01:40
I would preorder Special Edition NTW if and only if it came with a Napoleon/Wellington Rock-em Sock-em Robot Set.

lancelot
09-07-2009, 00:14
I havent frequented this board for a long time....Since CA ruined MTW2 Ive given up on this company.

Ironically enough I was going to 'pop my head in' this forum, say hello and ask if ETW was in a decent state since its been a while since its release- especially after seeing the news of this Napoleon game.

From a lot of the comments Ive seen in this thread its seems nothing has changed at CA...and its looking like its not going to either. Such a shame, Shogun & Medieval got me into strategy games but no more...

It doesnt look like I'll be returing to this brand if they are still following their 'bring out a new game before the current one is fixed' policy. Shame.

A1_Unit
09-10-2009, 00:30
I don't know what to think about NTW seeing as ETW isn't done...

shirproin
09-28-2009, 05:44
I'm very interested! I would love to find out more inforamtion related to this topic. Thanks in advance.
me too, I need more detailed info

shirproin
09-28-2009, 05:45
Great work .. really informative .. and thanks a lot for sharing ..

Crazed Rabbit
09-30-2009, 17:06
My thoughts about NTW in comic form! (read from left to right, down, and left to right again)

https://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2371/twpunchessml.jpg

CR

A1_Unit
09-30-2009, 23:40
Alright I have to ask: why there are 2 Instagibbed posts after mine?

pevergreen
10-01-2009, 00:12
Spambots.

You should do an Australian version CR. I've got a good idea for one.

:stare:

Crazed Rabbit
10-01-2009, 00:56
Sure, I'm open to suggestions.

CR

Ferret
10-01-2009, 22:44
CR sums it up perfectly, ETW is, imo, awful and NTW will likely be even worse, no matter what they say

Monsieur Louris
10-07-2009, 19:47
How about taking a few CA/SEGA 'volunteers' to cross the Berezina river in late November to celebrate the upcoming release of NTW? It would not fix ETW or repair their reputation but it's going to be a step towards the right direction :smiley2:

EDIT: Having ETW players throw vegetables at them from the banks of said river is totally optional!

Shahed
10-12-2009, 03:38
EVERYBODY HAS TO OPEN THE SPOILER IN CR's POST #98 OF THIS THREAD!!!

THAT is sooo spot on! Awesome! R O F L M F A O !

Maybe with N:TW you'll get a more functional (gameplay, mechanics, interface, AI etc) E:TW upgrade. That's the best case scenario. It probably will be better but it will still not be what E:TW should have been. There will definitely be problems from ETW ported over without correction. I'm willing to bet money on that and I'll be happy to lose. I'd say the GFX etc will be more "epic" but likley it's just gonna carry over errors from E:TW, that is, if the past years of CA history have taught me (and you!) anything at all.

One more thing to add. Basically what's happening here is THE SAME THING over and over again.

- They release a game. You pay for it.
- There are BIG gameplay issues and loads of annoying bugs.
- You wait, they patch.
- Release expansion + patch. You pay for it.
- You buy but you get fed up and leave.
- Even if you leave it doesn't matter to them. They still got you for your 100 bucks or whatever you paid and MANY HOURS OF YOUR LIFE. You could have been doing other, possibly better things in that time, than playing half finished games!

The reason it doesn't matter who leaves is that the sales revenue is expanding anyway. So they'll just latch the next guy and get him for 100 bucks and so forth. Obviously it's more profitable if the old players stay and buy, but CA can still run just fine without old players.

They've done this again and again since M:TW.

Only M:TW actually was very playable at the start but they never even got that game up to perfect. After that it was worse and worse, every single time new players came and paid, lost money and time, and left. Now I'm sure E:TW will get some updates but it's never going to be perfect and it's always going to have serious issues with it. Look at it now, even now the AI is just comic. I don't care how hard it is to code it, that's not the clients' (US!) concern AT ALL. I do not want to damage anyone's livelihood or income earning capacity. I do, however, have the right to demand a satisfactory product for which I have paid money that I earned! If it's not up to standard then I have the right to reject it and advise others to do the same in the interest of consumer protection and consumer rights.

Point being: The only way to even remotely influence this state of affairs is to REJECT software that does not perform well on release.

Monsieur Louris
10-12-2009, 08:10
Spot on. The only 'language' that's getting through is financial results. The trend of releasing half a game or chopping content that should have been there in teh first place has got to stop somewhere. I have serious doubts about their QA policy but that's another issue altogether which I'd be more than happy to discuss.

SwordsMaster
10-14-2009, 04:01
In a possibly fatal turn of events I got around to doing some thinking, and I have realised there might be a lot of untapped potential in the Empire engine that I hope is well used in the next installment. Some of this potential is related to features that are partially already in the game. Notably social status.

I'm posting this here in the hope that someone in CA has a lightbulb go off and include it in the game, and also because social status plays a more significant role this time around, with a republic rising to a world power for the first time in centuries.

So here goes:

At the moment the game distinguishes 2 social classes: the Ruling class and the Servant class. Exception should be made for Aristocracy as these maybe ruling or not, but they do not, in general lose their status even if not in power.

The rules:

Generals are, as a rule of thumb recruited from the Ruling class. Except when they're promoted from the ranks.

Guards, hussars, and some other cavalry are generally recruited from the Ruling class or Aristocracy.

Regulars can be recruited from the Ruling class and servant class in non-monarchies or the servant class in monarchies.

Militias and irregulars are always recruited from the servant class, prisons, etc.

The effects:

Recruiting specific types of units reduces the population of that class. If these units are destroyed, the "morale" of that class suffers, if they are successful, the "morale" improves.

Reduced morale could lead to higher susceptibility to high taxes, and, for example for aristocrats, lower production of gentlemen past a certain level, lower morale for units recruited from that class, or lower level commanders recruited if in a monarchy. Or increasing the likelihood of revolt. Also it would affect diplomatic negotiations, a beaten and depressed ruling class would be more likely to agree to peace, however disadvantageous.

For the Serving class it could lead to, for example, lower farming output, lower morale for infantry and ship crews and slower town growth.

Increased morale would lead to the opposite effects. Ruling classes in high spirits could increase the pool of ministers, the number of gentlemen, clergy, and better morale for units recruited from the class as well as less susceptibility to high taxes, etc. For the Lower classes that could include some of the same effects, more agricultural output, less industrialisation penalty, better infantry, etc.

Other effects could be, if there is a high disparity in morale between classes, civil war could break out, with the "rebel" side displaying troops reflective of its class. A class' morale would be affected by the number of generals from that class, their victories/defeats, the number of units from that class that have been annihilated or victorious, etc.

So, for example, a rebellious city could be pacified by moving a famous general promoted from the ranks and a famous veteran regiment of the adequate class into the city.

Them are just a few thoughts, but I thought that since class struggle will be more thoroughly reflected in NTW, it would be worth having a look into it...

nameless
10-14-2009, 23:33
But when you made that pledge I didn't expect to be facing down the reveal of (what amounts to) a $40 patch hardly five months later. IMO making N:TW a stand-alone when E:TW is still so new was a huge mistake.

Out of curiousity, what constitutes as a patch these days?

It seems like almost every expansion coming out now is regarded as an expansion that people think they are entitled to get for free ( I mean have you seen the L4D forums? holy cow. Then you got Starcraft 2 that people are crying about).

I was under the impression a patch's job is to fix up the game which CA has done and ETW is in a relatively good state, not ideal of course but the majority of it has been dealt with.

So now they are bringing in a new game that brings in new contents, systems, tech trees, characters, and campaigns so how does that add up to a patch? I'm assuming a lot of work went into that and it's new. It's not correcting something within the core.

Though since it's building up on ETW I don't think it's reasonable to price it at the same price as its mother. So ETW was 50 NTW should be 40 for example.

As for the N:TW stand-alone, who knows? We'll know by February 2010 if the game is a success or not (Though I suspect that if it's successful it'd be the golden point of what the engine is capable of if they make it work)

As for whether or not it's worth the price remember one thing boys and girls.

Patience is a Virtue. Don't ever follow the phrase, "Don't Wait! Buy it now!" Prices will always fall and since it's on STEAM it won't take long for them to slash the price 50% for some special weekend.

Fisherking
10-16-2009, 09:43
I took this off TWC as what is confirmed but it has been a long time since it was updated.

Please post in this thread ONLY confirmed information about CA's new installment of the TW series, providing sources as well. No speculation, spam, rants and wish-lists.

Last Update: 29/08/09

General Info

Engine: New game, engine (Warscape) based on ETW's 1
PC only 1

System requirements: same as ETW 4

Scheduled release date: February 26th, 2010 1

Estimated price: £24.96 / €28.38 (source)

Distribution: Retail (SEGA) and on-line (Steam) 2

Development: CA UK studio (source)

Features

Battlefield:

322 units 1, with new art and models for every unit and uniform (source)
max 10,000 men per battle 1

64 different faces on lowest settings 1

Ability to repair minor damage to ships during battle 1

Seasonal changes during game, affecting the weather which will affect gameplay (rain affecting gunpowder weapons etc) 3

Generals more important, now with a morale-boosting aura effect 1

Napoleon has special "warcry" ability that boosts nearby allied troops morale 5

All Napoleon's major battles available as historical scenarios, playable with either side

Campaign:

Campaigns: Three episodic story-driven campaigns; Italy (1796-1797), Middle-East (1798 - 1801) and Mastery of Europe (Grand Campaign) (1805 - 1812), told through in-game cutscenes, with available side missions 1 3 6

Playable factions: France (all campaigns), Britain, Russia, Austria, Prussia and other major factions (Mastery of Europe) 5 6

Each turn equals 2 weeks 1

Campaign maps massively scaled up, featuring many new provinces (source) and different areas and features, depending on the campaign played. 6

Selection of generals from a list, each one with his own attributes 1

Attrition system; spending time in tough terrain or hostile territory will wear down your units and whittle their numbers, while constructing depots and building up conquered farms secures supplies5

Ability to plunder resources, that will net you more and faster than occupying them, but will make local population unhappy.

Settlement diversification: Industrial towns focused on arms, armaments and producing extra troops, economic towns producing cash and increasing supplies 5 and intellectual towns making people happier and spawning spies (replacement for rakes with passive, area-of-effect espionage skills). 4

New resources that don't provide income but other advantages remain, eg taking a particularly effective horse-breeding area improves your cavalry strength. 5

New diplomacy options, such as getting other nations to fight each other 5

Technical:

Fully integrated multiplayer modes and a complete set of online functionalities: Steam achievements, gameplay bonuses, uniform editor and voice communications 6

Napoleon will also integrate into Empire, adding units and new tech trees appropriately as the timeline progresses 4 and upgrading it with the new engine 3

1 : source = IGN article
2 : source = Wikipedia
3 : source = Gamespot article
4 : source = Eurogamer article
5 : source = Gamestar article
6 : source = SEGA NTW page

econ21
10-16-2009, 10:19
Interesting info, thanks. A turn is 2 weeks?! I did wonder why the grand campaign stops in 1812? I thought that was more the turning point, rather than the end of the Napoleonic wars. But if a turn is two weeks, we will all have stopped playing by 1813 due to exhaustion.

I had not heard about the integration into Empire, which sounds good. Although I hope it does not imply that the "flaming pig" style anachronistic military tech of ETW will also contaminate the NTW GC(puckle guns, mortars and 24 lb artillery at Waterloo :no:).

Napoleon's "war-cry" ability sounds lame, although other generals having distinct abilities is intriguing. I would like to see general's abilities affecting the campaign map. Ideally, a good commander in chief would allow more stacks to be moved, to be moved further and to react better to enemy moves (including reinforce battles more promptly)[1]. A lot of Napoleon's operational success seems to have been from having Corps that marched divided, fought united as opposed to the old style of a single army marching with an enormous baggage train. There is no mention of supply in the info (except perhaps the plunder mechanic); I thought it was being introduced to the game, which would allow some of the above to be modelled.

[1]Ultimately, it would be nice to see some of this command and control stuff introduced to the battle engine too. Maybe the next generation of TW games?

Braden
10-19-2009, 12:47
To be honest the main reason I'm looking to this is the enhancement of the basic Empire game (mainly the ability to add structure past 1799...yay all Sharpe fans! lol). Not happy they've fidded with the game-engine...again...Why??

Ok, PC games move pretty fast in technology but to me we're at a stage now where the game is just as nice to look at as it needs to be. I don't look closely...at ground level...during a game (except to visually sight cannon) and I don't think many TW players do.

Wasted research and development to me which could have been used to help kick out a game that finished properly.

Price is a bit steep but I might wait 3 months and see if Steam do a deal at some point.

Supply notes are in there, you just have to build up siezed farm areas before progressing your campaign...no fast conquest here! (good)

Fisherking
10-24-2009, 13:43
Here is the newest info.

From about 19 Oct.

Joker II wrote:

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Just bought the PC Gameplay issue of September and found some new info:

Team:
- About 70 people working on Napoleon.

Graphics:
- Improved lighting that provides a more realistic facial appearance.

Gameplay:
- Research- and techtree have gotten a complete overhaul with which you can add bonusses to for example artillery.
- Special abilities for certain types of units.

Land Battlefield:
- A better classification of terrain resulting in a better ability to use tactics.
- New buildings (farms) in which it is alot easier to get men in and out thanks to the new "garrison-system".
- Pathfinding has been drastically overhauled which will lead to alot less problems when manoeuvering troops into buildings and over walls and bridges.

Naval Battlefield:
- New types of ships and abilities of which of course allready known, that you can take out a heavy damaged warship and repair it ! Apparantly though, in the preview, they are talking about repair ships that will repair the battleship and not the battleship repairing itself (don't know whether this is correct or wrongly interpretated by the interviewer ?).

Screenshots:
Units in them look all the same so I presume that they are just place holders (was mentioned earlier by Jack Lusted related towards the first screenshots), allthough that is the case, they all look stunningly beautifull, but, as we all know, The Creative Assembly never had any problem with the graphical splendor.

Sidenote: Kieran acknowledged that Empire certainly had it's problems but that they will do everything they can to avoid having those similar problems in Napoleon.

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/62428?page=1

The screenshots are copyrighted so they are not here...

Shahed
10-27-2009, 07:27
Nice job there Fisherking. :2thumbsup:

Fisherking
10-28-2009, 20:37
Official Napoleon website launches

http://www.totalwar.com/napoleon/?t=EnglishUK

Sheogorath
10-30-2009, 03:46
It looks like the Italian campaign cuts off before Suvorov shows up historically...that's really too bad. One of the greatest campaigns of the era, not to mention the fact that it was under one of the greatest generals of the century, and it's not showing up. Pah.

Fisherking
11-09-2009, 15:19
New info updated from TWC

You will have to sift through it to see exactly what is new...but it does give a game price.

Please post in this thread ONLY confirmed information about CA's new installment of the TW series, providing sources as well. No speculation, spam, rants and wish-lists.

Last Update: 07/11/09
General Info

Engine: New game, engine (Warscape) based on ETW's 1
PC only 1
System requirements: same as ETW 4
Scheduled release date: February 26th, 2010 1
Estimated price: £24.96 / €28.38 (amazon.uk)
Distribution: Retail (SEGA) and on-line (Steam) 2
Development: CA UK studio (source) - about 70 developers working on NTW 7

Features

Battlefield:
322 units 1, with new art and models for every unit and uniform (source)
max 10,000 men per battle 1
64 different faces on lowest settings 1
Improved lighting that provides a more realistic facial appearance.
Ability to repair minor damage to ships during battle 1
Seasonal changes during game, affecting the weather which will affect gameplay (rain affecting gunpowder weapons etc) 3
A better classification of terrain resulting in a better ability to use tactics. 7
New buildings (farms) in which it is alot easier to get men in and out thanks to the new "garrison-system". 7
Path-finding has been drastically overhauled which will lead to alot less problems when maneuvering troops into buildings and over walls and bridges. 7
Special abilities for certain types of units. 7
Generals more important, now with a morale-boosting aura effect 1
Napoleon has special "warcry" ability that boosts nearby allied troops morale 5
All Napoleon's major battles available as historical scenarios, playable with either side

Campaign:

Campaigns: Three episodic story-driven campaigns; Italy (1796-1797), Middle-East (1798 - 1801) and Mastery of Europe (Grand Campaign) (1805 - 1812), told through in-game cutscenes, with available side missions 1 3 6
Playable factions: France (all campaigns), Britain, Russia, Austria, Prussia and other major factions (Mastery of Europe) 5 6
Each turn equals 2 weeks 1
Campaign maps massively scaled up, featuring many new provinces (source) and different areas and features, depending on the campaign played. 6
Selection of generals from a list, each one with his own attributes 1
Attrition system; spending time in tough terrain or hostile territory will wear down your units and whittle their numbers, while constructing depots and building up conquered farms secures supplies5
Ability to plunder resources, that will net you more and faster than occupying them, but will make local population unhappy.
Settlement diversification: Industrial towns focused on arms, armaments and producing extra troops, economic towns producing cash and increasing supplies 5 and intellectual towns making people happier and spawning spies (replacement for rakes with passive, area-of-effect espionage skills). 4
New resources that don't provide income but other advantages remain, eg taking a particularly effective horse-breeding area improves your cavalry strength. 5
New diplomacy options, such as getting other nations to fight each other 5
Research- and tech-tree have gotten a complete overhaul with which you can add bonuses to -for example- artillery. 7

Technical:

Fully integrated multiplayer modes and a complete set of online functionalities: Steam achievements, gameplay bonuses, uniform editor and voice communications 6
Napoleon will also integrate into Empire, adding units and new tech trees appropriately as the timeline progresses 4 and upgrading it with the new engine 3

1 : source = IGN article
2 : source = Wikipedia
3 : source = Gamespot article
4 : source = Eurogamer article
5 : source = Gamestar article
6 : source = SEGA NTW page
7 : source = PCGamer article

Last edited by Aradan; November 06, 2009 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Updated with new info

Suraknar
11-18-2009, 07:45
Sounds Interesting, and glad to see that there will be a Grand Campaign after all, the announcement really made me think there would be only story driven Campaigns.

I am interested to see the new Economics Mechanics.

And of course, still waiting on MP Campaign...

As for the Future...Rome 2 or WWI:TW could be nice, now that they have Naval Combat and all...WWI could be an interesting period and challenge.

pevergreen
11-18-2009, 08:09
Rome 2 revolution,
Greek time period - evolution.

Fisherking
11-18-2009, 11:26
Rome 2 revolution,
Greek time period - evolution.

Is this some kind of announcement?

If so do you have a link?

pevergreen
11-18-2009, 12:32
No, but I think thats the way they will go.

Multiple face types, enough uniform variety.

Ship combat, Rome period sells well, not a whole lot (done well) in that genre, plus it leaves them the fallback option of using the same engine for anything pre-gunpowder (or even including, depending on how they build it)

If they launch with an engine optimised for purely post-napoleonic era (tanks etc) they have no fallback time period if sales are bad. Going to a trusted genre (excluding medieval, since they've done it twice), Classical Greece had a lot of interest last time, plus it hasnt been done.

I would love linking campaigns though. Even if they did a longer time period up until the marian reforms, then depending on how you go in that campaign, the next game (not exp. pack) loads your save and continues on after marian reforms.

Lots of focus on out of rome stuff, so rome is there and not dominating, like if you were the player.

Also gives the options of believable missions.

Excuse me, just going to go hand in a resume at CA brisbane now. :laugh4:

Suraknar
11-18-2009, 19:46
Well I just reinstalled RTW yesterday...kind of nostalgic...I also liked that one because it has so many modding possibilities that were straight forward and easy to implement compared to later engines...I think RTW is still really fresh.

And EB2 is going to bring an updated Ancient Period to the MTW2 Engine...

So, after NTW and with the Ninja Assassin, Last Samurai and Ninja Turtles coming back in popularity...maybe they will finally do a Shogun 2 TW?

Wouldn't that be something?

kitbogha
11-23-2009, 15:06
Wouldn't it just. Maybe they could even make it inclusive enough technologically that people without Deep Blue can play it....

pevergreen
11-23-2009, 23:46
TW has low min specs...

Braden
11-24-2009, 11:48
Yeah but honestly they’re not spec’s that the game will actually RUN on since the 1.5 patch.

sassbarman
12-07-2009, 01:49
On a purely graphical note anyone else notice the soldier being bayoneted off his horse and the horse running away in napoleon's egyptian campaign part of the trailer. That would be a first for the series instead off horse and rider always dying together. Of course it might not be actual game footage but lets hope it is, it would add a ton of realism to the battles.

pevergreen
12-07-2009, 03:15
I could be vastly mistaken, but Dragoons?

I have an odd feeling i've seen a unit of mounted dragoons with around 3 guys on foot, because the horses were killed.

sassbarman
12-07-2009, 21:37
I could be vastly mistaken, but Dragoons?

I have an odd feeling i've seen a unit of mounted dragoons with around 3 guys on foot, because the horses were killed.

really i haven't noticed that i will have to keep and eye out.

Tsavong
12-18-2009, 21:07
Here is quite in an interesting interview with Kieran about Napoleon done by the Gamespot AU

http://au.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/napoleontotalwar/video/6242911/napoleon-total-war-interview-with-kieran-brigden

pevergreen
01-14-2010, 00:56
hands on by IGN US

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/106/1060817p1.html

antisocialmunky
01-14-2010, 02:11
RATED M FOR SEXUAL THEMES!

Also Kilts.

hoom
01-16-2010, 22:17
Preview (http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/pc/games/159664/previews/134364.Napoleon-Total-War/), got some info about gameplay changes that I've not seen before.
Some of it sounds pretty cool, especially if they back-date to Empire :)

Dead Guy
01-26-2010, 14:12
I have to admit that this sounds very, VERY good. And I was so determined not to buy after this last debacle... Crap/Yay!

If it's all applied to a grand campaign, and if it all really works...

Furunculus
02-03-2010, 16:28
have they announced the type of drm they will use in NTW, will it be a simple disk check like ETW backed up with a steam DLC crack-pipe?*

* essentially the same model as EA Bioware have followed with Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2.

pevergreen
02-04-2010, 08:16
I'm gunna say same as ETW: Just steam.

Theres no disc check...

Furunculus
02-08-2010, 14:48
cheers, good news.

Graphic
02-09-2010, 00:27
Is NTW ever going to get it's own section?

pevergreen
02-09-2010, 00:38
Very good question.

Lemme check something, will edit this post.

edit: Can't find what I'm looking for, but I know it was discussed amongst the moderating staff a while back. No idea as to the outcome.

Royce
02-24-2010, 18:29
Has anyone started playing Napoleon and if so how is it.

Ethelred Unread
02-25-2010, 09:38
Heh - look at this acheivement:-

The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath
Declare war on all nations the first turn, never make peace, and win the game

Only 15 hours to go until Steam lets me download!