PDA

View Full Version : Austria

Monk
10-11-2009, 15:10
Austria guides

Please review the ToC (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=113656)before posting new strategies.

Bilgediver
05-31-2010, 16:27
Ah Austria, the original German Power!

Austria's location is fairly difficult, but tempered by the fact that you are currently not at war with anyone.
I would attempt to build up your economy as much as you can, and focus on taking out Prussia and possibly taking out Poland-Lithuania as well, due to their close proximity and the fact that they keep gunning for you. Taking Prussia out early removes a later threat, and early on they are very weak anyway, being split between Eastern Prussia and Brandenburg by Western Prussia. The Austrian Infantry is very strong, as you get 25% more men than anyone else's, so you can extend your battle lines farther than anyone else, allowing for better flanking (even if your men aren't quite as accurate shots, but 35% compared to 40% isn't much of a difference. Venice is also easy pickings early on (one of your winning conditions, anyway), but don't forget that Venice also controls part of Greece, too! so even though you may take out Venice, they still live and fight on. I would recommend maintaining peace with the Ottoman Empire early on, as you don't have to worry about your south-east border for a while.
Once you take out Prussia, you can keep taking out the rest of Germany. Austria doesn't necessarily need overseas colonies, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. Once you unite Germany and even Eastern Europe, you can rake in some serious cash.

drummerboy
11-08-2011, 22:50
Taking early Prussia is the key.
Avoid historical wars with Venetia and Ottomans as long as possible.
Get trade agreement or better alliance with GB.

I am starting with discovering canister shot. (3 turns). During that 3 turns I am upgrading barracks in Prague, and in Hungary.
Build some line infantry units. (4-6). Gather your 3 demi-cannons and infantry in Breslau. Add best general and some cavalry.
Build 2 12lb units in Hungary. Even militia units will be useful. With army 2/3 of full stack attack straight to Brandenburg.

Destroy college. Build tavern(what is that building name??) Rebuild and occupy that for few turns. Send missionary there.
Prussia cannot get to you , you gained sea port, and nice income.

Now you can build economy for a while.
Poland & Ottomans should be engaged in their wars at this time.
Upgrade military governor in the east (Transylvania) Build here small army for sally to Galicja.

I have forgot to mention, that Hannover may declare war on you. Finish him.

Next target - Poland. try to declare war on Saxony or Courland. That way Russia may not enter war with you.
Grab Warsaw and hold it - destroy university, repair first happines generating buildings.

If possible secure trade agreement with Sweden.

Around 1720 you should have "clean situation" with no wars , borders from Russia , Baltic to Hannover.
Now it is the time to think about - Sending army to India (If United Provinces are destroyed take Ceylon)
and Sending army to America - take UP leftovers and Pirate islands. This is great base for war with Spain

I would not concentrate on sea trade lines. Instead build your economy and get advantage of land trade lines.
Russia is good partner, many small countries too.

Next move depends on the situation (alliances existing, wars, ) and your preferences
Either got south-west to Italy, or South-East to Balkans.