PDA

View Full Version : End of the Old Order

Lord Winter
10-14-2009, 21:30
End of the Old Order

The year is 1890 and Europe is fraught with change. Labor unrest abounds and the old order is in dying. Like all periods of uncertainty the European balance of power is once again being rearranged. Old empires are decaying while new empires rise. It is the age of the great industrial powers racing for every advantage they can gain. What happens now will determine the nations that control Europe at the start of the 20th century and which will fade away.

No other nation embodies this sense of competition more then Bismark's Germany. While just thirty years ago Germany was a tattered patch work of small independent states. Bismark has forged them into an empire, defeating both Austria and France in the competition for control of central Europe. Germany now is the largest state of Europe and is at the height of it's power. However, a new Kaiser has ascended to the throne and Bismark has been forced into retirement. A new era in the young empire has started and all of Europe is eager to learn of the new Kaiser's plans.

Perhaps the nation that most strongly felt the great change Germany wrought in Europe was Great Britain. Long the clear dominant industrial power of the world, Germany is quickly catching up by closing the gap in steel and coal production. Furthermore German goods are beginning to enter markets long controlled solely by the British. The once unshakable empire now faces an uncertain future. Fear of colonial rebellions, a decline in industry and a over stretched navy are all problems that Britain must face in the upcoming decades. Many nations are also poised to take advantage of any sign of British weakness. In Asia the newly emergent Japan and United States would be eager to expand their own power into the British sphere of influence. France as always waits for any sign of British weakness to expand it's own power on both the Continent and in Africa. On top of this the British are unsure of Germany. Will the traditional friendship between the two nations survive the strain of recent years.

Meanwhile in the east Austria must struggle to come to terms with Prussia's victory in the unification of Germany while at the same time holding together the many restless ethnic groups in its boarders. As always Russia waits on the boarders of the west. Lagging behind the rest of Europe Russia must continue it's efforts at reform while coping with the growing unrest from the middle class and the Marxist forces in it's boarders.

Welcome to a new IH TITLE The IH is set from 1890 to 1910(end date subject to change) and seeks to model the diplomatic and economic maneuvering taking place in Europe in the years leading up to WWI. The focus will shy away from war though war may break out.

Rules:

1)Like all IH I will post a chapter and a list of issues that players need to decide a course of action for. Players will then PM there orders and I will compile the results in to another chapter.
2)Each phase will last one year game time which will likely correspond to about a week in real life. Deadlines will be given out at the posting of the chapter at the hosts desecration.
3)Each nation will have a set of victory conditions that they will determine there success as the end of the game. These will be PM'd to players when the game starts.
4)Please note that the exact value of each nation's economy and troop numbers in war will be abstracted for the sanity of the host.
5)While not a hard and fast rule, it would be nice for players to do some minor research and play in the context of the 1890's. For example it would be ridiculous for the Russian Tsar to start a Marxist democracy in his nation. Please note that I don't want this to discourage players from disembarking from what really happened in history.
6)Questions? Comments? Go ahead and post them in the thread.

Nations:

Great Britain: Culture Drizzt Fan
France: SwordsMaster
Germany: King Jan III Sobieski
Austria: Ichigo
Russia: White eyes:D

Once the major powers are filled I am willing to consider the inclusion of minor powers on a case by case basis. Ministers/advisers like in Franc's Concert of Europe will always be allowed after all five major powers are taken.

Cultured Drizzt fan
10-14-2009, 21:37
I would love to play as Britain..... :yes:

edit:
but thinking about it I do not have the time.... may be able to play a part in the future but not now...

double edit: ahh what the heck, I will do it. Keep me as my favorite nation ever, Britain.

King Jan III Sobieski
10-15-2009, 00:42
Good day fellow .Orgah members!

May I go with Germany? I wish they had Poland here though! :smash:

White_eyes:D
10-15-2009, 05:50
I always wanted to try a IH....can I play as Russia??:beam:

I don't know a whole lot about it though at 1890...I know it was more of a decaying Monarchy that had big serfdom problems....:juggle2:

Lord Winter
10-15-2009, 06:35
I always wanted to try a IH....can I play as Russia??:beam:

I don't know a whole lot about it though at 1890...I know it was more of a decaying Monarchy that had big serfdom problems....:juggle2:

Those issues were more around 1760-1860 or so. The main issues you'll have to deal with is holding together a multinational empire while dealing with class unrest . Maintaining your power as tsar will also be a crucial part of your goals.

SwordsMaster
10-15-2009, 09:32
Aight, I'll pick up France. Unless White Eyes wants to swap for Russia.

White_eyes:D
10-15-2009, 22:30
I think I can handle Russia....or I will die trying..:sweatdrop:

Csargo
10-15-2009, 22:45
I'll take Austria

Lord Winter
10-16-2009, 01:48
Alright all major powers are full if anyone else wants to join they will have to be an advisor or PM a proposal for playing as a minor power. The game will start someime this weekend after I write up the victory conditions and first chapter.

Centurion1
10-22-2009, 00:58
ill be an adviser this is my first game in the chapter house so its probably best i help people out.

SwordsMaster
10-26-2009, 02:42
So. We dead?

Csargo
10-26-2009, 04:06
Lord Winter's been offline since the 19th.

Lord Winter
10-31-2009, 04:36
Sorry everyone my computer died and I only just got it working again. I'll try to get this up and running this weekend.

Centurion1
11-03-2009, 03:02
eagerly awaiting.

Csargo
11-21-2009, 03:11
Update?