PDA

View Full Version : When are you going to buy NTW?

antisocialmunky
12-14-2009, 20:13
Just a for fun poll since ETW was screwed first day.

Prussian to the Iron
12-14-2009, 20:24
never. i have enough games to last me about a year and a half right now. dont need a crappy expansion to a game i rarely play. its still a good game, i just dont play much.

Tsavong
12-14-2009, 21:24
Ill probably get it after its out when I get board of what ever Empire campaign I happen to be playing at the time.

nameless
12-15-2009, 00:44
NEVER. ETW RUINED MY LIFE. I lost my kids, wife, husband, everything in that stupid $50 game. It violated me in ways that I've never thought possible! I was promised the most epic game that would bring world peace and it never delivered!:furious3:

Seriously though,

I noticed that when it comes to these polls they are always skewed negatively one way or the other.

I mean, where's the option that says, "When it comes out?" unless preorder falls into that category. Granted, even if the release date is on the 18th for example some retailers may not get it until days/weeks later....:thumbsdown:

Though for me I usually wait until the reviews pop up (I read multiple official reviews to get an idea) as well as reading some users (those that are actually fair and not trolls or nitpickers) before buying a game.

antisocialmunky
12-15-2009, 01:28
Oh, I knew I forgot something. I wanted a 'in the first week' option. :-(

Mods?

Alexander the Pretty Good
12-15-2009, 01:51
After several nitpicky grouches play it and grudgingly say its what ETW should've been.

And mod tools.

Graphic
12-15-2009, 02:02
I'm pre-ordering it as soon as I get the chance. The TW series hasn't let me down yet *ducks tomatoes*

pevergreen
12-15-2009, 02:20
On release, if CA do something like I suggested to them.

Otherwise, maybe if its on special for $5.

coalition
12-16-2009, 07:59
If it came free in a cereal box.

ETW is more than enough IMO.

Megas Methuselah
12-16-2009, 08:15
I'm still waitin on mod tools for etw.

amritochates
12-16-2009, 16:37
Only when the modding tools for ETW/NTW are released.

No Mod Tools = No More TW, seriously the only reason I have been playing TW since STW has been the mods.

Boohugh
12-16-2009, 19:18
I voted 'never ever' but that is more to do with personal reasons than any expectations I hold for the game. I only play games a few hours a week at most these days and, as I've just got Dragon Age: Origins, my play time is pretty much full for a long time to come. If my real-life plans work out my playtime will be dropping to 0 hours a week so I really don't have time for N:TW.

Having said that, from a hypothetical perspective, I'm not sure I'd get it at all, or perhaps wait until it came on budget, unless it got very favourable reviews from the good patrons of this forum. I just didn't get as much enjoyment from E:TW as I was hoping, even discounting all the bugs. I find the only challenge comes from managing your economy at the start of the game, not from planning grand stategy or fighting battles. I also wasn't a big fan of the RTI campaign mode and, from the little I've seen so far, N:TW basically just seems to be 3 large RTI equivilents. Those factors combined just seem to turn me off N:TW too much to be interested unless, as I mentioned earlier, it gets fantastic reviews from the people I consider to be some of the wisest and most experienced TW players.

Krusader
12-17-2009, 05:37
When I have 3 friends, who have similar taste in Total War, tell me its good.
Don't trust most review sites anymore. At least my friends don't need advertisement money to survive.

seireikhaan
12-17-2009, 06:17
Mod tools, or no dice for me. Modders are what've made TW games for me, and if they're going to stiff them, I'm not biting.

Lemur
12-17-2009, 06:17
I'm currently undecided, which means that unless I hear it's great from people I trust, my wallet is staying in my pocket. And as others have said, the lack of mod tools for Empire throws a bucket of cold water on my enthusiasm.

gollum
12-17-2009, 11:56
Not buying.

G. Septimus
12-17-2009, 11:57
well, I'll try, when people says it is good,
when I bought ETW, I thought it was more better than any other TW games, but it was'nt.
I hope NTW is gonna be better :rtwyes:

Heinrich VI
12-17-2009, 12:55
I considered pre-ordering it (shame on me). But since they decided to pull that per-order special unit xtra crap on us again and the state the one year late mp campaign is in, I won't.

Zenicetus
12-17-2009, 20:41
I voted "Never" because I'm just not that interested in this era of regimented, "all units look and act alike" warfare.

I bought and play ETW, as flawed as it is, because I wanted to see the evolution of the campaign map and the naval combat engine, not because I was interested in the period. I'm not a big fan of scripted campaigns either; I like the open-ended grand campaigns from RTW, M2TW, and ETW, and it sounds like Napoleon is more constrained. So that's another reason I won't be getting it... but mainly it's just a disinterest in this style of combat. I'll hop back on the TW franchise if the next main release is based in an earlier, more gunpowder-free era like Rome, Ancient Greece, Shogun, China Three Kingdoms, etc.

Elmar Bijlsma
12-18-2009, 01:17
Bargain bin.
But only because I don't have the willpower for Never Ever. Curiosity and optimism will eventually get the better of me.

Northnovas
12-18-2009, 02:51
I voted after a few patches I just got the email today to pre-order. I am sorry but I wanted this era more then ETW and fell for the whole ETW pre-order etc etc. I will wait to see what comes out. A complete game that works and not a visual but buggy in gameplay game.
Till I am satisfied after release I will then spend my money.

Servius
12-21-2009, 19:59
I'll wait to see what the reception on the ORG is. I'm through with CA/TW games until they finally release one with a really strong, smart, logical AI.

Belgolas
12-24-2009, 05:48
I already pre-ordered it like a week or 2 ago.

Mr Frost
12-26-2009, 10:03
Mod tools , and only if they allow us to fully mod things like :

the mess that is the tech tree {don't get me started !}

campaign starting troop disspossitions {including numbers in each unit}

a way to make seige assaults require preparation

limit the number of grenades carried by grenadiers

have separate stats for cavalry units that can dismount {one for mounted , one for dismounted}

have separate weapon stats for units that carry more than one type of melee weapon {essential for
any pre-gunpowder mods}

a way to tie number of units available to the population of the province raised in {and different for each type}

campaign victory requirements including "protectorate faction will join you if" missions and making the A.I. have to do them {instead of the cheese of giving it to them in 10 turns} and creating new ones {especially useful for presiege campaigns} such as building a famous cathedral by year X and different points for capturing/owning certain provinces etc

I also want a way to have the various secondary structure in a province {towns other than the capital} spawn automatic defensive troops {like a province capital does} , be able to alter their building type and wealth/productivity level {if we can't already} .

We need tools to create new campaign maps and alter the present one !

The list goes on .

We were promised a game more modable than the previous in the series , but we have been given one that is less .
Until they come through on their promis , I won't be showing them my money .

invalidopcode
12-26-2009, 21:20
I am done with the Total War franchise until further notice.

If the NTW somehows fixes all the things that have been broken in the last several games I may reconsider. But all the goodwill and trust that was built up has been depleted.

Evil_Maniac From Mars
12-27-2009, 05:40
I will consider buying it as I enjoy the era it represents, but only after it gets good post-patch reviews from the gaming population and CA delivers on what it promises to bring to the game (starting with mod tools).

Callahan9119
12-28-2009, 21:59
After I see what the BAI changes are, frankly that's all I will be buying it for. If it doesn't translate to the ETW style campaign, I won't purchase it at all. I couldn't care less about Napoleon or some kind of story driven campaign.

Owen Glyndwr
01-05-2010, 01:25
I said after the first few patches, but on second thought, I'm waiting for mod tools. If those come out, everything will be hunky-dory in my book.

Amun Nefer
01-05-2010, 03:55
I can't vote :(

I would wait until I have read enough reviews and if they are negative ones then I will wait until the next patch and hope that resolves most of the major issues.

Fisherking
01-05-2010, 08:56
Well, I guess I may preorder it. Someone has to write a review so everyone else knows how it is...:laugh4:

That is if I can manage.

Otherwise, I would be seeing what the rest of you think of it.

The Amazon reviews for ETW look like someone did a hit. I don’t think they can be trusted.:shame:

Marten
01-05-2010, 12:19
Well, I guess I may preorder it. Someone has to write a review so everyone else knows how it is...:laugh4:

That is if I can manage.

Otherwise, I would be seeing what the rest of you think of it.

The Amazon reviews for ETW look like someone did a hit. I don’t think they can be trusted.:shame:

Preorder here! From amazon.de. I trust CA, they will make the greatest strat game ever! With all better AI, stunning graphics and replayability until 2012 (when the world we know will perish)! Believe them, they never lied to us! :laugh4:

And i will support Fisherking at the review with screens and tons of rabbit pics. :clown:

Seriously, i did the preorder. Cause i like the period, like the idea of a "story telling strategy game". Even if i know how it ends ... but there will be the "grand campaign", and the better AI, the stunning ... :cool4:

Hooahguy
01-05-2010, 20:15
only after its in the bargain bin, and thats only if people on the org recommend it.

edyzmedieval
01-08-2010, 17:23
Pre Order. Imperial Edition. Will wait to play until the final patch is released.

I started collecting TW games.

01-08-2010, 19:49
I've decided (like someone trying to make a deal with God) that if CA fixes MTW to work with modern nVidia graphics cards I'll preorder NTW (the most expensivest edition, whatever it may be).

gollum
01-08-2010, 20:55
Only make sure that you are not making a deal with the devil instead and end up in lose lose situations.

metatron
01-10-2010, 00:46
Probably never, but maybe when it's heavily discounted.

If I've learned anything after playing this series for nearly a decade, it's that CA promises the moon and takes two games to deliver what they originally promised.

I'm saddened, I just bought Empire too. If only I checked first, I could've saved myself $25.

rvg
01-11-2010, 18:07
Unlikely to buy it, unless the gameplay is absolutely spectacular and revolutionary compared to ETW.

phonicsmonkey
01-12-2010, 03:56
I haven't bought or played ETW but have been following the community opinion on the game carefully on these forums.

I may buy NTW (as it is the evolution of the ETW engine) once it is fully moddable and provided I see some positive views expressed here at the org.

Durallan
01-14-2010, 02:52
I'm going to end up pre ordering the emperors edition just because I'm a sucker and if the game bombs out I'll at least have a nice little statue of a short mad frenchman and a nice little leather journal I can scribble my mad thoughts into, unless its full of a certain mad frenchmans scribblings already, either way I figure I have my bases covered. and if its actually got decent campaign AI for once well I'll just shout yay from the rooftops, not holding my hopes high this time though so maybe thats what the problem was with ETW, my expectations were too high.

antisocialmunky
01-14-2010, 04:59
Those trinkets are made by Chinese women working long hours in a window less factory. Hope you enjoy it :-p

Durallan
01-15-2010, 02:27
Rofl indeed they are! but please name something that ISN'T made in china! a sad indictment of our society I suppose, Even looking at stuff thats now 20 years old (1990) was still mostly made in china, at any rate we will see what it looks like, I'll put up pictures when i get it.

Fisherking
01-17-2010, 10:57
Here is a review that is worth reading.

It is a hands on that speaks to a few of the changes and how they work, though it is done on a pre-beta version of the game.

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/pc/games/159664/previews/134364.Napoleon-Total-War/

Pay attention to what they have said.

Smoke filled battlefields where you can't see what is happening? All of the graphics changes and they are going to do it on the same system requirements as ETW?

Smellycat
01-17-2010, 13:26
Never ever. I actually had to torrent the game i bought in order to play with the 1.3 patch and it was stillcrap anyways... worst TW game to date by far

Smellycat
01-17-2010, 13:29
LOL i just saw its a standalone expansion = full price with DLC coming they must think we are desperate

antisocialmunky
01-17-2010, 14:47

It is a hands on that speaks to a few of the changes and how they work, though it is done on a pre-beta version of the game.

Smoke filled battlefields where you can't see what is happening? All of the graphics changes and they are going to do it on the same system requirements as ETW?

Nice, it sounds pretty nice though I'm curious about what percularities they didn't talk about. I hope the STW fog comes back with a vengence.

I hope they are working hard on patch 1.1.

Fisherking
01-17-2010, 15:26
They said that they were known issues, so with some luck on CA's part, we will never know.

:laugh4:

Skullheadhq
01-17-2010, 17:39
ETW was unstable for me, so won't be buying it...

Durallan
01-18-2010, 02:52
thanks for the link fisherking, very interesting article, one month left before we find out the truth!

Graphic
01-18-2010, 03:34

They are adding these new graphical bells and whistles on the top end of everything. It will probably look identical to ETW on low and high with only the old stuff enabled. Therefore it has the same min and rec specs while still being capable of much more.

DisruptorX
01-20-2010, 22:48
I'm not in a rush to buy it, but I definitely have my eye on it for a simple reason: the new units will make it easier for modders to integrate them into the original game. So hopefully we will see some cool mods using NTW models as top end upgraded troops at the end of the century, so you aren't still seeing all tricorn wearing infantry in 1799.

I'm basically thinking how Stainless Steel integrated the new factions and units from Kingdoms into the basic MTW 2 campaign.

Marten
01-24-2010, 08:14
I changed my mind yesterday to "definitely not" or "never ever" after watching a preview from the dvd of my favoured german game mag. It was a "pre beta" of the german version.

- The previewer stated a dumb BAI, but CA will "of course" fix it for release

- The french troops answered in german in the vid (he played the battle of Ligny against the prussians)

- The complete game version (even pre-beta) looked for me like a mod of empire. Maybe a good one, but my first thought was: Looks like a mod. But just my subjective opinion.

Marten

Beskar
01-24-2010, 19:52
I changed my mind yesterday to "definitely not" or "never ever" after watching a preview from the dvd of my favoured german game mag. It was a "pre beta" of the german version.

- The previewer stated a dumb BAI, but CA will "of course" fix it for release

- The french troops answered in german in the vid (he played the battle of Ligny against the prussians)

- The complete game version (even pre-beta) looked for me like a mod of empire. Maybe a good one, but my first thought was: Looks like a mod. But just my subjective opinion.

Marten

Like Barbarian Invasion for R:TW, or even M2:TW to R:TW?

Elmar Bijlsma
01-25-2010, 00:00
Bargain bin.
But only because I don't have the willpower for Never Ever. Curiosity and optimism will eventually get the better of me.
My mind has been firmly changed to never ever too.
CA dropping support for ETW saw to that.
Kieran Brigden coming on TWC and explaining/defending their move was more insult to injury then anything else. I'd have respected them more if they'd straight out told the ugly truth instead of trying to sugar coat it.

Fisherking
01-27-2010, 07:46
From the latest information, NTW will add nothing so far as content to ETW.

The code for the two games is no longer compatible.

That said, if they offer mod tools that should not be a catastrophe but it requires that we can alter the maps or add new regions and factions.

:inquisitive:

IRONxMortlock
02-02-2010, 12:59
Due to the buggy mess that was ETW on release I would have been in the "wait for a patch or two" category until I noticed that they are trying to violate Australians with a $70USD price tag on steam! I'm therefore waiting until this one pops up in the bargain bin.

Goaswerfraiejen
02-06-2010, 05:25
From the latest information, NTW will add nothing so far as content to ETW.

The code for the two games is no longer compatible.

...wow. If I hadn't been convinced into the "never ever" category by the M2TW debacle, this would do it for me. That is horrible news. And, really, it takes away one pretty strong reason for purchasing NTW in the first place.

Oh well. I'm snickering all the way home. For once, I made a bright move purchasing-wise.

Lemur
02-17-2010, 22:32
I am Creative Assembly's catamite. Just pre-ordered Napoleon in a fit of weakness.

I deserve your pity, not your scorn.

Arthur, king of the Britons
02-17-2010, 23:07
When are you going to buy NTW?

Never.. Ever.

gollum
02-18-2010, 01:10
Originally posted by Lemur
I am Creative Assembly's catamite.

"Who would suspect such a man!"

No-one can save those who don't want to save themselves.

Enjoy
:bow:

Megas Methuselah
02-18-2010, 02:33
I am Creative Assembly's catamite. Just pre-ordered Napoleon in a fit of weakness.

I'll buy it for a buck when you're through with it.

Same offer with your wife. :eyebrows:

02-18-2010, 18:52
I'll buy it for a buck when you're through with it.

Same offer with your wife. :eyebrows:

His wife bought Napoleon as well? For shame!

Achilleslastand
02-20-2010, 08:14
Like id pay 39.99 for ETW 2.0.

Furunculus
02-22-2010, 16:45
pre-ordered for £17

neoiq5719
02-22-2010, 21:51
Preorder here! From amazon.de. I trust CA, they will make the greatest strat game ever! With all better AI, stunning graphics and replayability until 2012 (when the world we know will perish)! Believe them, they never lied to us! :laugh4:

And i will support Fisherking at the review with screens and tons of rabbit pics. :clown:

Seriously, i did the preorder. Cause i like the period, like the idea of a "story telling strategy game". Even if i know how it ends ... but there will be the "grand campaign", and the better AI, the stunning ... :cool4:
r u on CA´s pay roll?

antisocialmunky
02-23-2010, 02:37
r u troll?

Hosakawa Tito
02-23-2010, 23:14
I'm waiting on you lot to test drive it and report in.

Ludens
02-24-2010, 10:33
I'm waiting on you lot to test drive it and report in.

:yes:

Jasper The Builder
02-27-2010, 16:22
I went to my local GAME an got the Imperial Edition for £35 i think.

When asked about the extra unit from GAME, the first person said I had to preorder the game to get HMS Elephant, but after a few moments of 'oh come on, it said on the offical website :laugh4:' a guy from the back of the shop came forward and gave me HMS Elephant :indian_chief:

Happy as Larry