PDA

View Full Version : Idea for Waterloo Mod.

Braden
02-02-2010, 22:23
Firstly, I'm no modder so can't make this real and secondly, this may be an idea someone has already.

The idea is for a "realistic" mod of ETW to a dedicated Waterloo game/mini-game.

The basic restrictions for this is that even ETW is limited to size of battlefield and number of units on the field. Obviously to make this seem more realistic we need to overcome this handicap to enable us to have a battle where the opposing sides DO field the 190,000-250,000 troops each!!

In this scenario the "regiments" in ETW turn to Companies.

We take the whole of the field and immediate surrounding areas of Waterloo and make these...the campaign map but divided up into ten segments (so we're talking a huge map...huge).

We want realistic movement limits and times. Which, if we played the whole battle out via this method on a battlemap of similar size would mean a game lasting...non-stop...all day at least. For some a nice prospect but for most not possible!

Dividing the battlefield into smaller battlefields corresponding to specific areas of the real battlefield enables us to fight smaller "skirmishes" using the ETW restricted battlefield size and unit allowance which effect the whole battlefield (aka campaign map).

Re-enforcements are those that were...potentially..available on that fateful day and may arrive on the CAMPAIGN sized map dependent on choices made (perhaps) during the campaign map phase (Corp movement).

"Armies" that are normally depicted on the ETW map now become Corps...containing companies (formally regiments).

So, we are basically upscaling the ETW engine by re-associating the units and scale of the campaign map in scale.

Good idea? Possible? Might there be a "market" for it?

pevergreen
02-02-2010, 23:51
I think there would be a massive market for it, and I know for a fact you can put 10 000 men in a single unit (more actually)

But you have to realise that you want this to be playable. With ETW's engine, you arent going to be able to get much more than 4000 on the map without killing the systems. Players with semi new might be able to handle 4000 on medium or low. But the thing is playable vs wanted size of battles.

Braden
02-03-2010, 21:54
That's why I propose dividing the main battlefield into much smaller sections. The numbers fighting at one time around La Haye Sainte may well be just ONE battlefield worth and as such 4,000 would be an accurate figure. Likewise the battle around Mont-Saint-Jean would be similar in scale...add them together and you get the scale of the true battle in a format and form familiar to players but giving accuracy to those wishing it.