PDA

View Full Version : First Look At Napoleon Total War

Tomisama
02-24-2010, 12:47
Only a few minutes after download, a quick peek around, and Napoleon looks to be a "multiplayers dream"!

Units and funds in 4 sizes each.

I believe 17 4v4 maps (plus more), not including the 5 historical 3v3s (plus more).

I will have to wait untill tomarrow evening to actually try it out, but at the moment I am very pleased with what I see.

About time!
http://clanwars3540.yuku.com/topic/1283

Your first impressions from a multiplayer prospective?

MK_MadMick
02-24-2010, 21:11
Get my boxed set tomorrow Tomi, hopefully I'll see you online. :)

Jochi Khan
02-25-2010, 01:48
My boxed set has been dispatched so should arrive Thursday or Friday hopefully.

Tomisama
02-25-2010, 15:28
Minor correction: Funds are now at three levels (Small 5,000 – Medium 10,000 – Large 14,000), with Unit Sizes at the same four as they were before.

The only other change in set-up is Weather, for land battles we now only have Dry, Light Rain, Heavy Rain, and Rain Storm (which I imagine is on-again off-again rain). Gone are Snow, Dust, and Random.

And oh yes, there are no more Time Periods (duh), but everything else is the same as it was in Empire.

There are 22 maps total, 17 we haven’t seen before. All are 4v4 with an adjustable number of players, except 5 which are set for smaller teams (one - 3v3 and four 2v2).

There are now only 11 Factions, with some new (17 before including the 5 Native Americans).

Infantry unit types seem to follow a size/range/accuracy pattern to some degree, everything from 120 men/80 meters/30-35 accuracy, to 60 men/125 meters/ Accuracy 80.

Cavalry are all 45 man units I believe, varying in price along morale/melee capability lines.

Artillery have 6 to 12 pounders with 450 to 600 meter range. And the only fixed artillery I saw were Rocket Troops, and one mortar unit (Ottoman Bombard).

There are many new enhancements on the field, or should I say when you are in the field.
We now have player names available at a glance, and what looks like selectable recipient voice chat, if you have a mic.

Mostly to numerous to categorize at the moment are the enhanced realisms of battle. Most outstanding is the explosion concussion ground-shake. This was annoying at first, like having even just the sound of artillery busting all around you in Empire was unnerving at first. But when you get to be a battle hardened veteran, these things just melt away, as you steel your self to handle the task at hand.

Enjoy!

http://clanwars3540.yuku.com/topic/1283

Will be lookin for you guys :yes:

Tomisama
02-25-2010, 16:30
WE NOW HAVE CHAT ROOMS...YES YOU CAN CREATE CHAT ROOMS...WITH VOICE IF YOU WANT.

Jochi Khan
02-25-2010, 20:50
WE NOW HAVE CHAT ROOMS...YES YOU CAN CREATE CHAT ROOMS...WITH VOICE IF YOU WANT.
Are you saying that screenshot on nomad forum is correct??

Tomisama
02-25-2010, 22:29
Are you saying that screenshot on nomad forum is correct??

That's correct, you can create lobbys with different names, and people can just drop in and talk while you wait for a game, or to create a game.

In Shogun, Clans set up chat rooms to recruit folks who might be interested.

It's all back :smile:

Only now someone has to create a main lobby, but as long as there is someone in it, it will stay open.

Now if only people remember "how to" have a casual chat...it may be a lost art?

t1master
02-26-2010, 00:03
is a new beast compared to etw, or is it the same game with new skins?

do you have links/screen shots to the new chat rooms?

Jochi Khan
02-26-2010, 00:16
This is the one I was referring to...

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/JochiKhan/ntwbattlelistscreen.png

Nigel
02-27-2010, 19:24
Hi all,

after a long absence I have finally decided to by a new TW game. I still havent taken it out of the box, but already looking forward to it very much.

Grettings to all who remember me :o)
Nigel

Jochi Khan
02-28-2010, 14:19
Welcome back Nigel :o)

t1master
02-28-2010, 23:03
any thoughts on the game after a weekend or so of playing? ;)

Tomisama
03-01-2010, 13:33
any thoughts on the game after a weekend or so of playing? ;)

Beyond some minor aggravations brought on by fade-out chat boxes (when not in use), the only real problem faced was people not understanding some maps are not adjustable for the number of players.

Borodino is a 3v3, and Tabuk Mesa, Spanish Lakeside, Pyramids, and Lodi, are all 2v2 max. You can change the player count to higher settings for these, but they will only take the number of players specified. Being that the other 17 maps are fully adjustable, this has caused some beginning frustrations.

Other than that, the return of the Generals area of influence, and the possibility of recovering routers, is very reminiscent of the earlier CA games. And all-in-all I believe you won’t see much posted (multiplayer wise) because folks are having too-good of a time playing this outstanding game.

:charge:

Tsavong
03-02-2010, 14:00
I got Napoleon yesterday so far I've only fort some battles in the Italian campaign. Anyway I figured I would try a drop in battle and got quite lucky ended up in someone's campaign taking command of a large Saxon standing up to Napoleon him self also with a large army (I even had a general come in as a reinforcement).

https://img41.imageshack.us/img41/171/saxony.jpg
Graphics are on medium as I cant max it out.

So the battle begun and I started loosing right away with his Cannon taking out some cav at the start. Even after my cav were sacrificed to silence the French cannons which they did (he forgot to send his gunners left alive back to there guns)

Even so and with the small Prussian force my men could not stand up to the French line that was antill he sent Napoleon in with a melee charge with his men and he got killed then the French broke and fled.

Most of the battle took place in some woods making it hard to see what was going on as the trees hide the flags above the units, it was very close when I watched the replay.

I may have set his Campaign back some turns I felt a little bad at the end, but the Saxon army was all but destroyed after.

Jochi Khan
03-05-2010, 00:51

The lobby is still practically non-existant.
You can make a new room yes but there is still no main lobby for all players to meet in.

Still very disappointing that the players name is NOT on the units when you watch the replays. It only show in the actual game.

For example, and it does occur, imagine two or three players picking the same faction.

You can see which units belong to who during the battle because the player names are visble on mouseover.
But, when you watch the replay all you see are the faction names but not who the individual units belong to????

t1master
03-06-2010, 16:58
are they game lists broken up by server region like in etw? if so, what server region are you all playing on?

Tomisama
03-06-2010, 18:00
are they game lists broken up by server region like in etw? if so, what server region are you all playing on?
You should probably stick with the server closest to you, and populate your friends list with people who are not in your server neighborhood, by looking them up on their Steam profile directly.

When you make friends with some one and activate your friends list, you will be able to see any games that they are involved in, no matter what server they are on. It is a very good system in my opinion. It provides the best possible routing, being superior to playing on anybody else’s server.

My link below :wink:

t1master
03-06-2010, 18:24
i think you are already on my friends list tomi. i will look for you online.