PDA

View Full Version : The Wisdom of Protectorates

Fisherking
03-12-2010, 18:48
Gaining a Protectorate vs. adding another region to your growing empire might be immersive in game terms but they seem to be the target of stronger allies and trade partners who would not go to war otherwise.:inquisitive:

:book2:The benefits of a protectorate are that you get half their income and a staunch ally. You also usually get troops at the founding which will help in your conquests of further territory.

Each time I have elected to make a region into a protectorate I have gotten burned.:shame: It has not always happened immediately but it always happens. :yes:

The most meaningful coincidence I have observed is that when the last of my troops exit the region a neighbor and perhaps all of their allies will declare war on the new nation. :shocked3:

Even in the Italian Campaign, the Pope went to war with Piedmont as soon as there were no French troops left in their area.:embarassed:

I am as yet unsure if leaving troops there would prevent the adventurism but I do intend to find out. :holmes:

:gossip:How about the rest of you. Do the benefits out weigh the risks. And even at that isn’t it more beneficial to own the region and receive 100% of the wealth vs. 50% and a few units. :laugh4:

:7detective:

gollum
03-12-2010, 19:35
Nice topic and nice use of smilies ;)

Fisherking
03-12-2010, 20:10
Thanks gollum.

I do wish you had this title. Whether we agree or disagree you take is always worth reading.:beam:

gollum
03-12-2010, 20:35
:bow:

Monsieur Alphonse
03-13-2010, 07:31
In my GB campaign I liberated Bavaria. And indeed when I left the building Hessen declared war and captured Munich. Since I was unable to defend them I broke the alliance. In my current French campaign I had four protectorates: Venice, Baden-Wurtenberg, Ireland and Scotland. Especially Baden was a very good ally who very often assisted me in the defense of Munich against Prussia, Austria and Saxony. I think that Scotland and Ireland are safe because the United Kingdom of Wales and Gibraltar :wiseguy: is powerless. Venice (Italy) can defend itself.

In the early days of the protectorate you have to assist it. Usually when a protectorate is created it spawns a few troops and is unable to defend itself. After a couple of turns it should be able to look after it self.

AussieGiant
03-13-2010, 10:58
I'll check what you've said in my European Campaign. It stalled due to real life issues but I'll be back into it this weekend. I must admit that when I took Piedmont, I did sit there for 15 minutes working out what I should do. I chose to conquer it in the end so I have not seen this behaviour yet.

antisocialmunky
03-13-2010, 13:57
In my GB campaign I liberated Bavaria. And indeed when I left the building Hessen declared war and captured Munich. Since I was unable to defend them I broke the alliance. In my current French campaign I had four protectorates: Venice, Baden-Wurtenberg, Ireland and Scotland. Especially Baden was a very good ally who very often assisted me in the defense of Munich against Prussia, Austria and Saxony. I think that Scotland and Ireland are safe because the United Kingdom of Wales and Gibraltar :wiseguy: is powerless. Venice (Italy) can defend itself.

In the early days of the protectorate you have to assist it. Usually when a protectorate is created it spawns a few troops and is unable to defend itself. After a couple of turns it should be able to look after it self.

Yeah, it is a protectorate after all.

iHelp
03-13-2010, 21:06
I had the opportunity to liberate a few nations in my French grand campaign, however I elected against it. I have no idea why, and this goes for other strategy games of the sort (like EUIII) as well, but a disconnected empire is no empire in my eyes. Hannover, for example, is surrounded on all sides by other nations, and so is Innsbruck, Prague and Munich in my game. It just feels... incomplete, if you get what I mean. :P

Forward Observer
03-13-2010, 21:07
Also due to real life matters, I have not been able to play as much as I plan to do this next week, but when I quit I was a little over half way through the Italian campaign. When I took Piedmont, I opted for to take them as a protectorate. However, they still continued to show as hostile to me. I tried a few cash payments to see if I could improve the relations, but I didn't have much to give them. Then just after I took the the Austrian towns of Mantua and Modena, the Papal states declared war on me.

When I asked Piedmont to join to fight, they refused although they have built up a decent army. Fortunately, I have enough troops to continue my drive toward Innsbrook and Klagenfurt plus a second army building to attack the new aggressor at Bologna. That's where I left the game when I had to take a break, but I'll report back how it goes from there.

Sheogorath
03-13-2010, 22:35
One important thing you forgot to mention is that protectorates defend themselves. Early in the game when your funds are limited, that can be a real lifesaver in terms of upkeep. That, and it's fun to watch your 20 protectorates attack anybody who declares war on you. It's like watching a pack of Chihuahuas tearing into an elephant.

Fisherking
03-14-2010, 08:53
It's like watching a pack of Chihuahuas tearing into an elephant.:laugh4::laugh4::laugh4:

I will have to try this just for the comedy effect!

My main objection came from having to leave garrisons in them to prevent DoWs...:inquisitive:

My first start as France in the European Campaign was not pretty. I failed to save Bavaria but Liberated it.

When I left Saxony declared war on them...but Saxony was allied to most of Europe and brought in Prussia and about everyone else on my borders.

Prussia was even an ally of mine... But where they got the hordes they launched in my direction I will never know.

They dog piled on Hanover and it didn’t have much to start with and there were enemies coming out of the woodwork heading for Antwerp, Strasburg, and anyplace French.

Meanwhile all my forces were doing a little dance north and south of Vienna.

I was caught flat footed with my pants down.:bigcry:

I took a very inspiring course of action at about this point. :wacky:

I started over. :vanish:

:tongue2:

The Stranger
03-14-2010, 14:54
just make sure your allies are far away from your protectorate. and as for enemies, it is after all a protectorate and it does need your protection in the early stages. In my french campaign of europe I had a few protectorates, Hessen and Baden in the beginning. Hessen was attacked by the Netherlands, since i couldnt protect them and siding with them would mean war with all my allies i let the dutchies go about their bussiness. They attacked Hessen and conquered it. Later in the campaign I also took Poland as a protectorate since I was fighting on 3 fronts against England, Russia and Ottoman Empire. I gave them all the regions bordering enemies on the eastern front so they would act as a bufferstate. I left one army to protect their capitol and used my other forces to eliminate england and turkey. It worked like a charm. Poland even went on the offensive and conquered 2 provinces of russia. so sometimes its definitly worth it to have a protectorate. but mostly as a buffer, also you have to inject some cash as an investment. but once they start running you can build up your forces and relax.