PDA

View Full Version : Tactics for naval Battle of the Nile?

valentinian
03-18-2010, 13:57
Playing the set-piece battles, I'm getting beaten soundly by Horatio Nelson at the Nile (and Trafalgar, much like the historical Napoleon :embarassed:) I'm winning gold eagles on every land battle except Waterloo, but can't even get the silver for the sea battles. Any tactical advice for the Nile at silver or gold difficulties?

Now, granted, I'm not the finest admiral ever. I'm justing moving into line astern until firing range, and then turn to sail with the wind and present broadsides. Usually it starts off easily enough, and I severely damage or rout the lead ship in the opposing column, because I can usually get two or three ships to fire on it as the opposing line approaches. Once the ships line up though, after a few exchanges of fire, my line starts to rout. I'm guessing this is the naval equivalent of going into firing range with opposing infantry without using artillery or flanking -- workable only at lower difficulty or with superior quality units.

So any particular clever tactics that works for the Nile, or naval engagements in general between almost equal forces? These ships of the line move so slowly and deliberately that I can't imagine much actual maneuvering that you don't plan 5 minutes of gametime in advance.

Fisherking
03-19-2010, 22:19
I have not played any of the Historic battles yet so I can’t see what you are up against.

If you are France you already start out with a disadvantage.

The Brits will close with you so what you need to do is wait for them and punish the leading ships.

I would form 2 or more lines based on speed. Also remember your frigates have a longer range when using chain. Cut their maneuverability down and get them separated.

Using chain is tougher though because when you select it the enemy knows and drops sail. So what you have to do is deselect fire at will. then when you have them lined up with their sails full, select chain and the fire at will.

As I said also, let them come to you. Line up your heavy line to cross their T when they are in range.

Keep your lighter faster ships out of the main line and just rush them in and out where it is safe.

If you describe your ship line up and the Brits I might be able to tell you more.