PDA

View Full Version : First Multiplayer battle.

Fisherking
03-31-2010, 11:43
I finally played my first battle against a human.

I couldn’t manage to get any drop-in battles so I just went with a 1 vs. 1.

I have to say it was not fun.

I felt set up. I was attacking and the map was a gorge filled with trees and one avenue of attack.

That was not the bad part.

The other player had I have no idea how many rockets. The lag time was so great I had trouble moving my troops so I just managed to die spectacularly.

I stayed and let him win, though it was of small challenge to him, I am sure.

People like that kind of thin out the number of people who would want to do multiplayer.

RTK_Sir Lambert of Lancs
03-31-2010, 14:23
the newer community of TW seems to be against rules for games from what i have seen on a good number of TW forums, however this is why i would reccomend 1 rules, 2 finding the people that are in the different steam groups and 3 play with people that are in clans. more then none those in clans are playing with set rules, not because it gives them an advantage as many feel the reason is but because it can make the game more enjoyable without having to deal with ridiclous events.

now that i glance up at who posted this i am sure your not new to the community and this is not news to you :D, however like i said it seems that many of the newer TW community is against rules for games....

Fisherking
03-31-2010, 16:52
I suppose I asked for it. I just took the first faction and didn’t pay close attention to the map.

It turned out that it was a virgin sacrifice, and it was me.:laugh4:

I didn’t mind losing so much as feeling set up. Still, I let the guy have his victory and fought it to the bitter end.

Knowing who you are playing with helps and rules have a place.

I must say however that those rockets were much more effective then they ever were in sp campaign.

:laugh:

RTK_Sir Lambert of Lancs
03-31-2010, 19:00
i havent seen that many rockets in action maybe 1 or two, after people bring em when i state rules are no fixed, and i have not reall seen em do much damage maybe lost about 10 men from a unit or two. just been mainly a pretty show

Fisherking
03-31-2010, 19:36
The map was the Savoy Hill top.

There are only two narrow entrances to the other players area. You have to bunch your units up to come at him and he can put his rockets on the front line and cover the whole board, because of the cliff face.

The ground is rough and movement for the attacker is very slow, so it is the perfect place to use loads of rocket batteries to good effect.

In an open field his troops would have been easy meat but in that situation he only needed 5 or 6 infantry and a couple of horse to hold the position without the massed rockets.

I am not really complaining. He knew his map and I didn’t. Just a lesson learned.

Graphic
03-31-2010, 21:08
Experiences like this are why I never got into multiplayer battles. I was pretty much turned off since Rome where I started a game that said "No Arty" and the other player selected 8 Spartan hoplites and put archers inside their spears. I had a nice, fully balanced Senate army and I couldn't do anything :(

I'm willing to play with anyone who doesn't select dork armies, though.

Fisherking
04-01-2010, 16:49
Well, I won one today vs. an honorable player. He even had a much higher skill rating, as I got the badge.

I think his name was Kadish.

I was defending and had a much stronger position, so I hope he doesn't feel cheated, but I had to rush to occupy it before he could get there.

He had more infantry and I more cavalry. The same number of guns but I had one howitzer and all his were 6 lbs. I also had a 12 lbs. and two galloper guns.

If he had rushed me he may have beaten me but it was long slow attrition. His rifles beat up my skirmishers but I managed to get them with missile cav before they toasted me good.

All in all it was a good game from my point of view, likely not from his but I don’t think he felt like he was set up.

Dionysus9
04-01-2010, 20:18
I'm glad you got in a decent game, FisherKing. There are a lot of really honorable guys out there, generally in clans, but not exclusively. Lots of really good players that can adapt to any "rules" you might want to specify. I generally ask everyone to confirm their agreement to special rules before I click the checkmark to start. That way there is no confusion or hard feelings.