PDA

View Full Version : GH's next game: Interest gauger

GeneralHankerchief
03-31-2010, 22:16
(Sorry if you were expecting any fancy/epic previews or anything. It's not really how I operate.)

Okay, here's the situation: With Mafia IX approaching the endgame, I've been starting to look ahead towards my next game, with a target start date of early fall. It will be role-intensive, much like Pirate Ship Mafia. For a while now I've had this spot automatically marked down as Pirate Ship Mafia II. However, last night I had a really good idea and think this would naturally translate to a truly epic Mafia game.

The problem is one of timing. Whichever game misses out and doesn't get hosted in the fall will have to wait. Normally, this would be fine and I can just host it the next time I come up. However, in June 2011, .Org Mafia will turn five years old, and I cannot mark that occasion with anything other than Mafia X. So basically, whichever game doesn't get hosted in the fall probably won't be able to be hosted until early 2012. Sound like a long way away to you? Yeah, me too.

So, I figured I'd ask you which game you'd rather want to play. I posted no poll on purpose in order to get you guys to actually answer on this one. In-depth posts that explain reasoning will tell me a lot more than a simple poll answer.

- Pirate Ship Mafia II. The sequel to the original, only tweaked to make it way more chaotic and individual. You know what you're getting, but there will be a lot more danger and paranoia this time around, as I am going to heavily work on removing the safety net that is stable pro-town groups.

- War in Heaven. The setting is pre-Creation Heaven, where the rebellious Lucifer has entrusted several of his lieutenants to infiltrate the angelic hierarchy and systematically eliminate every single loyal angel. I just thought up this game last night and haven't come up with anything more than a basic plot and a couple of named roles, but there is obviously going to be a lot of RP material available for you to base your play off of, and, I believe, the highest stakes that have ever been present in a mafia game (can't get much higher than the ultimate fate of mankind and the universe). My early projections have this game as being less chaotic and dynamic than Pirate Ship II would be, but probably far more immersive.

Your input/opinion is greatly appreciated. :bow:

Subotan
04-01-2010, 00:06
War in Heaven, as I would be instantaneously lynched in Pirate Ship Mafia

Also, I like the idea of the Paradise Lost scenario

pevergreen
04-01-2010, 02:52
PSM II.

Maybe this time Reenk would recruit me in time :rolleyes:

Plus, Lucifer again? That didn't go well last time :sick:

Methos
04-01-2010, 06:55
Pirate Ship Mafia II sounds more appealing to me.

Askthepizzaguy
04-02-2010, 04:17
War in Heaven.

I realize the appeal of Pirate Ship Mafia, and I also appreciate your desire to tweak it and get it just right, but I have a feeling it will go the other way and simply be a mindless slaughter due to the chaos of "he who is lucky enough to be mafia" inflicting a lot of pain on everyone else, until (most likely) the rival mafia kills them. Plus vig groups who add to the carnage... a half dozen kills per night until it's an easy victory for the luckiest faction. Doesn't feel like Pirate Ships and traitors anymore, it feels like a group of nuts in an insane asylum. The game will progress too fast and too bloodily for any sort of analysis to work. Were it not for some early deaths of the mafia in PSM, the game would have been balanced. Putting too much against the town might make a mafia victory more likely, but it was already pretty likely were it not for some quick, cheap deaths in the town's favor, methinks.

On the other hand, I think I would enjoy War in Heaven much much more.... no idea what to expect, and that's what I like.

Thermal
04-02-2010, 21:59
On the other hand, I think I would enjoy War in Heaven much much more.... no idea what to expect, and that's what I like.

This

Sasaki Kojiro
04-02-2010, 23:58
I say war in heaven. Biblical talk > pirate talk.

Beefy187
04-03-2010, 01:06
Biblical Talk> Ninja> Pirates :yes:

GeneralHankerchief
04-03-2010, 01:57
Biblical Talk> Ninja> Pirates :yes:

Blasphemy, sir.

BTW, thanks for all the responses so far. :bow:

Ibn-Khaldun
04-03-2010, 07:43
I would prefer War in Heaven.
Because then I can use these: :angel::wings::saint:

Double A
04-03-2010, 13:17
PSII would be fun... I know what to now. But either way, I'll still talk like a pirate.

Subotan
04-05-2010, 20:28
You can still talk like a pirate in heaven, but you can't talk like an angel on a pirate ship.

TinCow
04-05-2010, 23:52
Go with whatever inspires you most. If you're more interested in one over the other, your extra focus will make that one better. We'll all play either of them, regardless of which one you pick, so just pick the one you think would be the most fun.

Chaotix
04-06-2010, 02:16
The Heaven scenario sounds like it would have some particularly epic write-ups... not that the Pirate Ship write-ups weren't awesome, but there's something about angels in battle armor with massive, unwieldy weapons and superhuman abilities that makes me want to drool...

Secura
04-07-2010, 12:40
Go with whatever inspires you most. If you're more interested in one over the other, your extra focus will make that one better. We'll all play either of them, regardless of which one you pick, so just pick the one you think would be the most fun.

[Secura Approves +10]

You'll get the signups no matter which one you pick GH, so ultimately it's up to you as the host; which one will you enjoy writing more?

ULC
04-12-2010, 08:53
War in Heaven - lots of material and possible innovation. Pirate Ship mafia was awesome, and has inspired me a bit, but I'd be far more interested in War in Heaven, just the thought of being an Angel before the fall makes me drool - the mere possibility of turning willingly would be awesome as well. The ultimate moral choice - support God and the established order, or side with Lucifer and prove that God's plan was flawed.

White_eyes:D
04-12-2010, 12:11
Pirate ship mafia 2=Very good:pirate:
War in Heaven=Sounds even better:saint:

I leave it up to GH and what he thinks though...:bow: