PDA

View Full Version : Napoleon's battles: Possible to unlock?

Banquo's Ghost
04-03-2010, 15:02
I've just bought NTW, primarily because the era is an interest of mine and I was hoping to review the main battles of Napoleon's campaigns.

It appears that the battles have to be fought in order to unlock the next one, which mean I am facing a long slog to get to Borodino (a particular fascination). I wonder if anyone has found a way to circumvent this need? I find it utterly fatuous that a game designer restricts me in this way, since I cannot see the benefit of such a restriction for anyone. I'm sure a great many people have, and would buy, the game just to play/review the Battle of Waterloo but apparently, that's not available to me without many hoops to be jumped through.

From looking at the Battle of Lodi, I think the designers have missed another trick. I was hoping that the battles would be also available pre-run, in other words one could press play and watch the historical battle unfold. One could then pause and review particular aspects of tactics. (That should be easy to do - I'd even pay for it as DLC. What might be difficult, but very interesting, would the opportunity to take control of the battle at any point, comparing new tactics with the historical). The ability to review the historical battles would make this a very educational piece of software as well as a game, and there are enough sources for this time period to make it both accurate and worthwhile as a study aid.

It might be in there already, but I missed it so far. Anyway, do I really have to run all those battles?

Fisherking
04-03-2010, 16:52
There is a mod that unlocks all the battles and campaigns.

I don’t remember the name.

For the first time online play can actually be fun, so moding is not my first interest at the moment.

Have fun!

edit: I took a quick look through the mods, but there are 7 pages of them now...

It may be quicker to just play the battles!

:laugh4:

Fisherking
04-03-2010, 17:38
This is worth a double post.

I just checked on-line.

You can play it on-line without having played it in SP

It is a 3 vs. 3 Battle but you can host it as a 1 vs. 1

There should be someone around that you know who might be willing to play it with you.

I would offer my self but I am tied up for the next couple of days and won’t have much time prior to Tuesday.