PDA

View Full Version : Interactive Battle: Battle of Gettysburg

Kagemusha
04-08-2010, 13:22
Battle of Gettysburg

https://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8868/gettysburg.jpg

This is a small interactive history that focuses on the largest battle of American Civil war, battle of Gettysburg. The game is planned for 4 players, taking command of Confederate Army of Northern Virginia and the 3 Corps under it.

The game setting:

Playable characters:

GeneralHankerchief : General Robert E. Lee, commander of Army of Northern Virginia, direct control of JEB Stuarts Cavalry division.

Warluster : Lieutenant General James Longstreet, commander of 1st Corps Army of Northern Virginia.

Lord Winter : Lieutenant General Richard S. Ewell, commander of 2nd Corps Army of Northern Virginia

Csargo : Lieutenant General A. P. Hill, commander of 3rd Corps Army of Northern Virginia

|Sith|R|AntiWarmanCake8 : Replacement player.
Rules:

The game will be turn based. Each turnĀ“s orders will effect time span of one hour of the battle. For each turn i will provide a situation map, which shows our troops and what we know about the enemy.

During the battle. Chain of command applies. So in other words. The player controlling Robert E. Lee has the power to decide actions for the three Corps under him. He can ask opinions and council from the Corps Commanders, but he alone has the power to give out orders for the Corps. The player controlling Lee can order his Corps what enemy or point of ground to attack or defend. Attach Divisions from Corps to another, but he cant micromanage the Divisions assigned to each Corps. Players controlling Corps commanders can decide how they use their Divisions and Brigades inside those Divisions.

The Corps commanders should read information concerning their subordinate Division and Brigade commanders as their personality will effect how they will execute orders given to them. I will be your adversary controlling the Union army of Potomac.

Here are links to usefull information about the battle:

Confederate order of Battle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettysburg_Confederate_order_of_battle

Union order of Battle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettysburg_Union_order_of_battle

Map of the battle area:

http://www.posix.com/CWmaps/Gettysburg_Map.png

Once we have the 4 players we need we can start the Battle.Join the fray if you dare!

Warluster
04-08-2010, 13:34
I'd like to play as General James Longstreet, please.

Kagemusha
04-08-2010, 14:07
I'd like to play as General James Longstreet, please.

Thank you for joining Warluster.:bow:Longstreet it is.

Kagemusha
04-08-2010, 17:31
Bumb! Come on people join up.This thing wont be so time consuming as big faction controlling interactivies.If you have a bit of armchair general in you.Thats all what it takes.:charge:

Franconicus
04-08-2010, 18:54
I wish I had more time!

Kagemusha
04-08-2010, 18:59
I wish I had more time!

It wont take much time.Just couple quick decisions per turn.Come on and join.You know you want to.:deal:

Lord Winter
04-08-2010, 23:51
I'll take Ewell.

Kagemusha
04-09-2010, 00:21
Wellcome Lord Winter. 2nd Corps is yours. So two spots open.Lee and A.P Hill, so 3rd Corps and spot for the overall commander of the army.

GeneralHankerchief
04-09-2010, 00:28
You know what, I think I'll try my hand at one of these. :yes:

Having actually been to Gettysburg on three occasions, I think I know the ground pretty well. No objections for me taking Lee?

Kagemusha
04-09-2010, 00:38
Wellcome to the chapter house GH!:bow: Army of Northern Virginia is on your hands. Now all we need is a commander for the 3rd Corps and we may begin.

Csargo
04-09-2010, 02:26
I'll take Hill

Kagemusha
04-09-2010, 10:42
Wellcome Ichi! 3rd Corps is yours.:bow:

Now that we have all the players.I would like to hear your opinions about something certain we could try in this game. My suggestion is that we would limit the pm exchance between the rest of you and GH playing Lee to a on single pm per turn coming from Corps commander giving situation report of his Corps and suggested plan of action and a second pm, being orders coming back from Lee?This would a) make the game faster as you cant have long talks about the strategy and B) It would give more realistic view of battlefield communications. A notable difference to this would be the night time when fighting would lul. Then you could talk as much about grand strategy in the thread as much as you like.This pm exchange should be forwarded to me, while i would send each Corps commander reports from their division commanders before they inform GH.

Second issue, as we have players from different continents. I would like to hear your opinions how much time would you need for a turn. Or we could just drop the deadline and each time after all the orders are out.I would reserve some time to make a new situation map.How does that sound?

GeneralHankerchief
04-09-2010, 13:03
I like the idea about PMs. As far as deadlines, I'm not really sure about the pace of Chapter House games so I'll leave that one up to my more knowledgeable peers. :bow:

Csargo
04-09-2010, 18:35
I like the first idea.

I think we should have a deadline. Maybe 5 or 7 days?

Kagemusha
04-09-2010, 20:45
Im glad you like the idea of constraining information movement. About the deadline. I think we should first have quite lax deadline and once you realise how little will happen in a hour.We can then start playing with more rapid speed.How i see it.The most time consuming thing will be for me to draw those situation maps.:stupido:

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
04-09-2010, 20:58
No need for any Union Generals :)?

Kagemusha
04-09-2010, 21:08
No need for any Union Generals :)?

Nope not in this one. This is sort of test game, with limited number of players.But i can take you in as replacement Commander if any of the current Corps commanders dies or gets seriously wounded during the battle, which happened quite frequently during civil war.

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
04-09-2010, 22:51
Nope not in this one. This is sort of test game, with limited number of players.But i can take you in as replacement Commander if any of the current Corps commanders dies or gets seriously wounded during the battle, which happened quite frequently during civil war.

Sounds great! :balloon2:

Lord Winter
04-10-2010, 08:15
Wellcome Ichi! 3rd Corps is yours.:bow:

Now that we have all the players.I would like to hear your opinions about something certain we could try in this game. My suggestion is that we would limit the pm exchance between the rest of you and GH playing Lee to a on single pm per turn coming from Corps commander giving situation report of his Corps and suggested plan of action and a second pm, being orders coming back from Lee?This would a) make the game faster as you cant have long talks about the strategy and B) It would give more realistic view of battlefield communications. A notable difference to this would be the night time when fighting would lul. Then you could talk as much about grand strategy in the thread as much as you like.This pm exchange should be forwarded to me, while i would send each Corps commander reports from their division commanders before they inform GH.

Second issue, as we have players from different continents. I would like to hear your opinions how much time would you need for a turn. Or we could just drop the deadline and each time after all the orders are out.I would reserve some time to make a new situation map.How does that sound?

The PM idea sounds good. As for timing from a player perspective I think once every two days would be enough time from a player perspective. I'm not sure what you would need as a host.

Kagemusha
04-12-2010, 08:17
As it seems everyone has shared their views.We are ready to start. The battle will start with only messages arriving to the players from the front as not any of you have reached Gettysburg yet. Before your character reaches the battlefield. All straight pm communications are prohibited. If you want to send messages to other commanders, send those to me and i will forward those messages when i think enough time has passed for an messenger to reach their destination.Game has started. It is now 8am.July 1st.1863.

Franconicus
04-28-2010, 18:13
How is the battle going?

Kagemusha
04-28-2010, 18:21
Its in its starting phase. The Confederate army is approaching Gettysburg and the players have received some information from the vanguard units.I have had to pause it, because im working on something for the Org in general,which is taking lot of my time.

King Kurt
04-28-2010, 21:52
I hope they are looking for shoes!!!

kage - great idea - hope it goes well - I will be watching to see what happens avidly - I love the ACW and Gettysberg is a real favourite. You playing the Union should work well as they were basically defending, so it was the Rebels who are doing the maneuvering