PDA

View Full Version : EBNOM official discussion thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

anubis88
04-10-2010, 12:22
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4107/4961888615_2a5dd79d54_z.jpg

Greetings fellow EB players!

The mod progressed a bit. We got help from some talented guys, even EB team members, and work has began on this mod. We are still a small team, and we will glady use any assistance that can be found. We need experts on all sides, and the only thing we require is that if someone does volounters to help, he is serious about it.

If you wold like to assist on the mod, PM me or gamegeek2. Even if all you can do is research, and have no modding knowledge, we will gladly hear with what you came up.

I will update this post frequently, everytime something important happens.

The date we decided on is 80 BC

Why?

Some of the main reasons :

-Rome is the major Mediterranean superpower, but the Empire is far from complete
-Ongoing conflict between Rome, Pontus, and Armenia
-Famous historical characters such as Pompey, Caesar, Sulla, Cicero, Crassus, Lucullus and more for Rome; excellent roleplaying opportunities
-Mithradates VI for Pontus and Tigranes the Great for Armenia
-Vercingetorix for the Arverni (though only 2 years old)
-Nabatu are in their golden age; Hasmoneans are alive and kicking
-Parthia is a major power
-Axum is getting started (if included)
-Indo-Saka, the Kingdom of Maues are getting started
-Burebista is the King of the Dacians
-Major war-zone in Spain with native tribes, Romans, and the Roman rebel Sertorius

--- CURRENT VOLUNTEERS ---

--- Project Leaders ---
gamegeek2
anubis88
FinnMacCumhail

--- Scripters & Coders ---
gamegeek2
10thLegion
Silver Legionary
Hax

--- Modelers, Skinners & 2d artists ---
Cute Wolf
FinnMacCumhail
Skullheadhq
Silver Legionary
LDC
jirisys

--- Historians ---
gamegeek2
anubis88
Gonras
DeathFinger
Fluvius Camillus
constantius
Lionheart
Atraphoenix
Vartan
keravnos
Tanit

--- Mappers ---
Cute Wolf

The factions:

This is a list of the possible factions. We have decided on which will be used, but we won't tell you yet :laugh2: The ones in bold are definetly in.

SPQR
Parthia
Armenia
Pontus
Sweboz
Lugiones
Arverni
Haedui
Belgae
Suessiones
Boii
Getae
Mauretania
Numidia
State of Sertorius
Nabatea
Hasmoneans
Hymarites
Saba
Iceni
Catuvelani
Cantabri
Sarmatians
Scythians
Yuezhi
Indo - Saka
Indo - Greeks
Astures
Axum
Meroe

Also it is fair to say, that we will probably use the BI.exe platform for the mod. We have some ideas how to use the religion mechanics and such...

Check out our first previews in the following pages! We previewed the Sertoriani, Ptolemaic Egypt, Numidia, Pontus, the Hasmoneans and the Nabatu!

anubis88
04-10-2010, 12:25
WIP - My humlbe suggestion - mod in Augustus's time

Start date 27 BC - 16. January, Octavian get's the title Imperator Caesar divi filius Augustus

Why? Rome finaly got a picture of itself, and all the civil wars ended. There would not be a civil war for 200 years ( of course except the year of 4 emperors), so the picture is pretty clear cut.
At this point Rome was near it's maximum expanison. It had 28 standing legions, and a decent economy, however Rome didn't have the strenght to conquer Germania. If anyone thinks Rome was too powerful at this time, think again. When Teutoburg forest happened, Rome didn't have the strength to raise new legions, and instead retreated to the Rhine.

It would give the player a similar chalenge that in EB the Arche Seleucia; but on an even larger front, with armies ranging from the tribesmen of the northen forests, especially the powerfull germanics alliances, the nomads of the north - east, the mighty Parthians in the East, with a Jewish state still alive and kicking. Also, the Nabatean Kingdom would come to life, and perhaps the Ethiopian armies of Meroe preparing to invade Egypt, while Mauretiania would wait in west africa to start a new African Empire. Also, there is still life in the last Iberian tribes, who held more then 150 years the Romans at bay, and are willing to do so for as long as it takes. The Dacians have shown as well they can be a mighty foe under a strong king, like Burebista a has shown a while ago.
A year ago the Romans started an expedition to Arabia Felix, but got defeated by the Saba with ease, who would remain in control of that side of the Red See. Surely Rome would try to conquer it again.
The Romans may also fantisize to attack the mystical Island of Britain, to which Gaius Julius Caesar went 25 years ago.

Starting possition for Rome and other factions on the EB map;
THE MAP
Remember, this is WIP, i will add new factions when i can...
Note - Dark red - dunno if it's already under Rome control or not, will research it, for others, it's just a representation where the factions would start:
https://i39.tinypic.com/35n36s1.jpg (WIP of course)
There are 20 factions IIRC for being in. This are the faction's i would say would definetly be in such a mod, and i've kinda added them where they should be on the map. This factions are :

Roman Empire Difficulty: Medium
Augustus has just gotten the his title; the empire is ready for new challenges, but one wrong step, and the turmoils may begin again, the though of a republic is still very much alive with the senators, so you must make wise decision with your goverment and foreign policy. Be careful about how you treat the provinces. The massive expansion of the late empire has brought many new lands to Roma, but most of them are not happy with the situation.
The Romans would have a very versatile army, drawing auxilias from many provinces, perhaps a bit weak on cavalry, but the best regular infantry in the game.

Parthian Empire Difficulty: Medium
After a lot of civil strife, the Parthians again stabilized their situation somewhat. Phraates IV will definetly try to expand the borders of his country, and try to imitate his great predecessors. It will be key to try and centralize your power, and once Parthia is strong inside, the outside can only fear them and watch their horsemen taking over land after land.
The Parthians would have the best cavalry in the game, all the units which took a long time in EB I to unlock, would be there from the start. May your cataphracts bring death to the Romans and all other lesser people!

Kingdom of Armenia Difficulty: Very Hard
Perhaps not as strong as 40 years ago, Armenia still remains an independent power between the two superstates. This is in fact in interest of both, since a border so long would inevitably lead to full-scale war. The kings of Armenia are influenced by foreign powers, like they used to be in the old days, but even then Tigranes II became King of Kings, and many people bowed to him. Why shouldn't this happen again? There are many small kingdoms around Armenia, which also dwell betwenn Rome and Parthia, and conquering them should be difficult for a great king. But carefull diplomacy is needed, ally with one power and attack the other; fight both on your own peril.
The Armenians would have a wide range of units, most simmilar as in EB, able to fight on every ocasion, however much depends on the general leading his men

Dacians Difficulty: Hard
Not long ago, the Dacians and the Getae made their first alliance, and were a major power under the king Burebista. Many tribes fell under his power, including the once powerfull Boii. They have proven, like Decebalus will 100 years from now, that a strong king under this great warriors, can accomplish much, and conquer many lands.
The units will be most the same as in EB, a great mix of ambushers, falxmen and elite warriors!

Marcomanni Difficutly: Hard
An obscure germanic tribe, that would be a major power for the next 300 years; the Romans were always careful with dealing with this people, the king Marobodus being greatly feared by Augustus. When the Romans finally waged full-scaled war with them, it almost costed them dearly. Marcus Aurelius defeated them after a full-scaled war, and yet the Marcomani persisted.
The Marcomani were not unlike other germanic tribes, relying mostly on infantry, but they had a strong cavalry arm as well. The fact that they fared so well against Rome, shows us that a strong king could perhaps even bring the Empire to it's knees!

Cantabri and Astures Difficulty: Nigh impossible
One of the last Iberian tribes, now joined together to fight of Rome. Only one thing need to be said for you to know of their power. It took Rome 8! legions, + auxiliaries to defeat them, the number of men surpassing 80.000! That's more then it took to bring down Macedonia and the Seleucid Empire combined! The war was so important, that it was lead on the Roman side by Agrippa and Augustus himself! The Romans feared the Cantabri, knowing they preformed well with Hannibal, and knowing they had the strenght to break the siege of Numantia 100 years ago. They prefered to fight a guerilla war, like most Iberians tribes, and the knowledge of their homelands gave they great advantage. They could also raise large armies if needed, based on the population estimate perhaps even 100.000 men! They were old proud tribes and a success against Rome on their part, could raise the defeated people of Iberia once more in a rebellion, and crush the Roman hold on the peninsula.
Their army would differ much from that of the Lusotana in EB, + they would have awesome regionals at their disposal, like the Asturian axemen, and Cantabrian cavalry.

Kingdom of Thrace
Judean Kingdom - under Herod the Great
Sarmatians
Kingdom of Nabatea
Kingdom of Saba
Cappadocia
Skordisci
Cherusci
Indo-Saka
Yuezhi

Important figures/Faction Leaders :
Rome:
Augustus Caesar - no introduction needed, 35 years old
Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa - Octavians most trusted friend, great general of Rome, 36 at the time
Tiberius - future emperor, one of the greatest imperial generals, would be 15 at the time
Nero Claudius Drusus Germanicus - brother of Tiberius, another great general, 11 years old at the time
Publius Quinctilius Varus - only one reason for his inclusion :)

Parthia:
Phraates IV - King of Parthia
Phraates V - Prince of Parthia

Marcomanni:
Maroboduus - a child at the time, but the succesor to the throne. It is said that he could field an army over 70.000 men during the reing of Augustus, for which he was feared.

Kingdom of Judea:
Herod the Great - King of Judea - around 35 years old, friend of Rome
rest to follow...

Cappadocia:
Archelaus IV - King of Cappadocia ruled for more then 50 years, appointed by Antony, but stood with Octavian in the later part of the civil war

Mauretania:
Juba II - became king in 25 BC, Son of Juba I, who supported Pompey as the King of Numidia against Ceasar. Decisivly defaeted at Thapsus. He and the Romans lead many campaings against the tribes in Afrcia, forging a very powerfull state, closely allied to Rome.
Other possible factions:

Kingdom of Kartli? Not much of a power, but independant and with great potential. The king Pharasmanes II was a cause for concern for Rome, even at the height of it's power. Even before that the Kings were pretty strong, managing even at capturing Artaxarta in in the year 35 AD

Germanic tribes - , Suebi, ,Quadi... (don't remember more of them atm)

Britanic tribes -, Icenii.... (don't remember more atm) :D

Iberians - , Astures

on the balkans - Jaziges, Delmats,

Africa - Meroe?

Asia - Osroene, Adabiene...

Others- Rhaetians, Pannonians, Kingdom of Noricum

For some factions - Roman Empire, Parthia, Armenia, Dacia, Sarmatia, Catuvellani, Astures and Cantabri, Mauretania, Capadoccia, Thrace, Indo-Saka... We could use many units if not all from EB; the other faction also have their most important units made in EB, so it would be just a case of filling out their roster

Suggestion by Fluvius Camillus
Start Date: 171BC

101 years after the EB start.
The map: Very WIP; some mistakes have been spoted, i'll wait for Fluvius to update the map and give the new one
https://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt22/Fluvius_Camillus/ebagain.gif
Important men:
Perseus I of Macedonia (41 years old)
Antiochos IV Epiphanes (44 years old)
Ptolemaios VI Philometor (no regency yet, 15 years young, darn it).
Mithridates I of Parthia (approx 24 years old)
Marcus Porcius Cato Maior (63 years old)

Important upcoming historical events:
3rd Macedonian war
6th Syrian war
Parthia vs Baktria and a lot more expansion by Parthia

Suggested factions:
SenatusPopulesqueRomanus
Qarthadastim
Arche Seleukeia (under Antiochos IV Epiphanes)
Ptolemaioi (under Ptolemaios VI Philometor)
Antigonid Makedonia (under Perseus I of Macedon)
Arsacid Empire (under Mithridates I of Parthia)
Pontos (under Pharnaces I)
Pergamene Kingdom (under Eumenes II)
Baktria (under Eucratides I)

Roman Rebels (some time later, the first Slave revolt comes).

Here we can use a lot of units from EB I.

This 2 ideas were dropped ... look at the post above

Arthur, king of the Britons
04-10-2010, 15:11
What about the culture slots? IIRC both the "eastern greek" and "western greek" culture is not used by any factions during this era (except for the Bosporan Kingdom and/or other client kingdoms ).

Maybe this can be used for something. :shrug:

anubis88
04-10-2010, 15:18
Yeah, come to think about it, August had a few wars with Meroe(which could use a new slot), so it would be nice as well. Any suggestion are welcomed

04-10-2010, 15:26
Yeah, come to think about it, August had a few wars with Meroe(which could use a new slot), so it would be nice as well. Any suggestion are welcomed

Hmm if they are to be included as a faction then new portraits have to made as well.

Oh and the Judean Kingdom as well as the roman rebels are of the "emerging" faction and "rebel" faction type,I presume, if so than doesn't this mean that this mod would be BI- only? As the RTW exe doesn't have the "emerging" faction nor "rebel" factions.

note: I will probably not be able to help much with this mod, since my knowledge on both this period in history as well as modding is rather limited I'm afraid. :shame:

Oh and a lot of units can be reused from EB IIRC, limiting the work that has to be done somewhat.

Cute Wolf
04-10-2010, 15:51
Well, let's put that timeframe a bit earlier... at the middle roman republic, and diadochi are still strong.... as well as Germanic tribes allready ravages the north, and Nomadic incursions has grown harsher!!!!

Should we made.... *cough* year jump mod for EB :grin:
*. and prepared to random... "late game" situation...

04-10-2010, 16:04
I thought this (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?51956-Europa-Barbarorum-The-Unofficial-Late-Period-Project&highlight=EB+late+campaign+mod) might be useful, even though it doesn't start at the beginning of the principate, but rather in the post marian era.

plutoboyz
04-10-2010, 16:09
how about making EB for BI? BI time was pretty cool.

anubis88
04-10-2010, 16:25
Well at this point, it's all at the initial stages. Taking baby steps.

The problem IMHO is that in the post Marian era there are a lot of civil wars, and this would be difficult to implement in the TW engine. When the country was devided between Antony and Octavian, there was one battle that decided the whole thing, likewise at the begining, when the 2 fought the murderes of Caesar at Philippi. This is impossible to implement in the RTW engine IMHO, at least not without huge modding.

Yeah, i thought about using most of the EB skins, for the factions that still existed, + adding new ones. I guess some rosters- like Dacians, Sarmatians, Parthians, etc... could practicaly remain the same; we would just need to add a lot of Barbarian factions;
The Marcomanni were very strong at this point for one, likewise the Germanic alliance that appeared later under Ariminius. That's why i would like the mod to start sometimes during Avgustus's reign.

At this point IMHO it's easier to make sucha mod during history than the republican, for the reasons i stated above. It would indeed be unique of all mods. We could have legion camps, that were stabilized during augustus reign, also we have a lot of info about the economy, setting it for the future.

Fluvius Camillus
04-10-2010, 16:29
I don't think this will get from the ground. The ATB and Nusantara mods are already in progress and I think any skinner/modeller should join EB II instead.

Although coming up with concepts for a late period mod is fun.

~Fluvius

anubis88
04-10-2010, 16:35
Well think of it this way. Research for this mod couldn't hurt anyone, and if at some time few new skiners are found; that would be the only thing left to do. Even if nothing of this happens, i really think it could became a fine thread. There are definetly some people around here who are more familiar about this era then the start of EB.

Also, if there are people (which there certanly are) that don't quite measure up to the EBII team's standards they could work here in their spare time, training for proving themselves to the team

jirisys
04-10-2010, 17:03
Excuse me for my ignorance but... what's a late campaign (i think it's a campaign that stands after the imperial one, but i'm not sure)

~Jirisys (my name is Forrest)

04-10-2010, 17:06
Excuse me for my ignorance but... what's a late campaign (i think it's a campaign that stands after the imperial one, but i'm not sure)

~Jirisys (my name is Forrest)

Late campaign = Campaign that starts later than the official one.

jirisys
04-10-2010, 17:12
Late campaign = Campaign that starts later than the official one.

but timeframe or gameplay (after you finish the imperial you start the late) later?

~Jirisys (2763 a.u.C.)

Megas Methuselah
04-10-2010, 17:16
I thought you guys wanted to change the date, enable all the reforms, and play around with factions' starting positions.

But doing an overhaul with completely new factions? You guys are insane.

Duguntz
04-10-2010, 17:19
Honestly, I'd be so crazy about the idea to make a mod concentrated on the Early Minoan period... the arrival of the Dorians in greece... Bronze Age : Total War

jirisys
04-10-2010, 17:20
Honestly, I'd be so crazy about the idea to make a mod concentrated on the Early Minoan period... the arrival of the Dorians in greece... Bronze Age : Total War

And then Stone Age: Total war

We already have the iron age :tongue:

~Jirisys (WOLOLO!!!)

Fluvius Camillus
04-10-2010, 17:26
My suggestions (suggestion A and B):

Suggestion A

Start Date: 171BC

101 years after the EB start.

Important men:
Perseus I of Macedonia (41 years old)
Antiochos IV Epiphanes (44 years old)
Ptolemaios VI Philometor (no regency yet, 15 years young, darn it).
Mithridates I of Parthia (approx 24 years old)
Marcus Porcius Cato Maior (63 years old)

Important upcoming historical events:
3rd Macedonian war
6th Syrian war
Parthia vs Baktria and a lot more expansion by Parthia

Suggested factions:
SenatusPopulesqueRomanus
Qarthadastim
Arche Seleukeia (under Antiochos IV Epiphanes)
Ptolemaioi (under Ptolemaios VI Philometor)
Antigonid Makedonia (under Perseus I of Macedon)
Arsacid Empire (under Mithridates I of Parthia)
Pontos (under Pharnaces I)
Pergamene Kingdom (under Eumenes II)
Baktria (under Eucratides I)

Roman Rebels (some time later, the first Slave revolt comes).

Here we can use a lot of units from EB I.

I will try to include the Celtic, Iberian, German, Getic/Thracian and Nomads later, I know far less of them than the factions listed above,

I will make suggestion B later.

Cheers!

I thought you guys wanted to change the date, enable all the reforms, and play around with factions' starting positions.

But doing an overhaul with completely new factions? You guys are insane.

Call me a pessimist but I think this will stay in the idea phase.

~Fluvius

anubis88
04-10-2010, 17:36
Interesting post, but we would definetly have to try and find a way for the civil wars to be as realistic as possible;

I added to the main post your suggestion; I believe we could add Numidia as well. They already have a lot of EB I units, + we saw some great EB II units which could be implemented

Megas Methuselah
04-10-2010, 17:50
Call me a pessimist but I think this will stay in the idea phase.

Yeah, same thoughts.

Hax
04-10-2010, 20:56
171 BC eh? How about the Yuezhi? How about the Indo-Greeks? How about Media Atropatene? There were immensely interesting things happening in the East at that time!

I'm really busy with EB II, DotS and school at the moment, so I won't have any time to help at all until July, but if this project is still alive by then, I'll try and find something to do. Gotcha.

- Hax

Fluvius Camillus
04-10-2010, 21:13
171 BC eh? How about the Yuezhi? How about the Indo-Greeks? How about Media Atropatene? There were immensely interesting things happening in the East at that time!

I'm really busy with EB II, DotS and school at the moment, so I won't have any time to help at all until July, but if this project is still alive by then, I'll try and find something to do. Gotcha.

- Hax

Lol I know, it was just a starting idea, I did this out of the top of my head and since the Hellenistic, Romani and Eastern factions are my prime interests I could do those out of the top of my head (I got the ages of the persons from wiki though), I'll check some more and keep you posted, along with my suggestion B.

Help appreaciated, you are quite skilled in the middle eastern area because of ATB, so we can use you.

But wait? Who is we? Is this actually going to happen and am I in the team?:clown:

Edit, my use for this project (if it happens):

18 years old, studies business in Leeuwarden, the Netherlands. Likes history, especially Romans, Hellenes and Eastern (pre Islam) states.

EB bibliography books I have currently read:
Soldiers and Ghosts - J.E. Lendon
The Hellenistic Age - Peter Green
Thundering Zeus - Frank Holt
Mithridates the Great - Philip Matyszak
A history of the Ptolemaic Empire - Günther Hölbl (currently halfway reading).

I then have another 25 books of the EB bibliography in my bookshelf which I can always access for info.
Near my school in Leeuwarden is also a historical library, with plenty of history books. Not member yet but I am planning to.

Basic modding skills (changing .txt files, changing faction symbols, faction colours).
I have adobe photoshop 6.0

And lastly, I think people can enjoy these:

Extremely useful maps (IMHO):

http://www.worldhistorymaps.info/maps.html

And for the ones that know Dutch:
Mijn profielwerkstuk geeft een goede tijdlijn van Rome weer, kan handig zijn.

~Fluvius

Macilrille
04-11-2010, 01:16
62 BC the Gauls invite Ariovistus in to help one side in their civil war, which later makes Caesar pop by for a visit and the Res Publica Romana fall...

The Suebi would be strong at this point, but here or pretty soon after, though perhaps more under the pressure from Rome, the Cherusci and their allies become a power. Likely this was more a question of unification as a result of war. An early example of the simplified "States make war- war makes states" phenomenon. The Boii and Dacians/Getai would still be around, though the Boii in gradual decline and eventually gets taken over by the Markomanni.

Or you could choose slightly before with Rome in civil war and Mithridates still alive and kicking.

Fluvius Camillus
04-11-2010, 10:25
62 BC the Gauls invite Ariovistus in to help one side in their civil war, which later makes Caesar pop by for a visit and the Res Publica Romana fall...

The Suebi would be strong at this point, but here or pretty soon after, though perhaps more under the pressure from Rome, the Cherusci and their allies become a power. Likely this was more a question of unification as a result of war. An early example of the simplified "States make war- war makes states" phenomenon. The Boii and Dacians/Getai would still be around, though the Boii in gradual decline and eventually gets taken over by the Markomanni.

Or you could choose slightly before with Rome in civil war and Mithridates still alive and kicking.

That was gonna be my second suggestion, it could also be with the Spartacus emerging faction. But then we would have 2 Hellenistic states so weak beyond recovery, presenting no challenge at all. Well I'll get on it later today.

~Fluvius

anubis88
04-11-2010, 12:27
Hm... It's nice to see ideas flowing in...

As i said, i have no idea how we could represent the Roman Civil wars during this time, not to mention Spartacus's uprising or the social war; not to mention we would have to have 3 GIANT civil wars; Sulla - Marius, Ceasar - Pompey, Octavian - Antony.

I know the principate might not seem that interesting at first view, but believe me, the age is really fascinating; + it would give a unique experience to any one of us

@Macilrille
It seems that you have a lot of knowledge about Germania; do you agree that such a mod should include: the Cherusci, Suebi, Marcomanni, and Quadi? or do you have any other suggestions?

@Fluvius - Even at the start of the Principate, we could have a lot of Easter factions, even though some of the would be close allies of Rome or Parthia... Perhaps Armenia could rise again? Or Capadocia coming finaly out of the Shadows of Pontos? Even the Cimmerian Bosphorus was a regional power, albeit closely allied to Rome.

@Hax - your input would be always appreciated; perhaps we could in the future even exchange troops that you guys would make for ATB?

Macilrille
04-11-2010, 12:53
Depends what time it is. But up until about the Marcomannic wars or thereabouts the Marcomanni were part of the Suebi. The arminus vs Marbod struggle can be understood as the Cherusci and the Suebi fighting for preeminence amongst the German tribes (with some Suebi tribes choosing instead the call of Arminus while some Cherusci subtribes follow the Suebi), while the Quadi only became relevant fairly late. There are also the Goths and Cimbrii, which were powerful parts/tribes of the Suebi confederation. But it definately depends on when and in how much detail you wish to go.

Edited to add; there were enough warring tribes in Germania to fill out all faction slots should one wish to go in detail with them.

artaxerxes
04-11-2010, 13:17
I would LOVE to play as AS in the 171 BC idea - I mean, Antiochus IV was one of the last (save A. VII Sidetes) able Seleucid kings and this is right at the moment when the AS really begin their decline. Trying to avoid this would be a cool game ;D

Morte66
04-11-2010, 13:39
One of my bigger problems/issues with EB is that if you play any faction in the eastern half, your game is almost guaranteed to be mostly about "how I dealt with the huge Seleucid Empire, their vast armies and territories". This was fun once or twice, but it has come to be a bit of a grind. Or if you actually play the AS, you get a game where corruption/morale penalties are a bigger challenge than your enemies. Ignoring history and considering EB purely as a game for a moment, it would be better without them (which may explain a thing or two about vanilla).

So I've wondered if a later start date, i.e. after they've declined a bit, would ameliorate that. But it seems to me that if you wait long enough for Seleucia to decline you just get the same problem with Rome in the west instead of Seleucia in the east. So you have to wait a really long time, until there are Eastern and Western Roman Empires, to get a map that's notably better for actual play.

anubis88
04-11-2010, 13:56
Depends what time it is. But up until about the Marcomannic wars or thereabouts the Marcomanni were part of the Suebi. The arminus vs Marbod struggle can be understood as the Cherusci and the Suebi fighting for preeminence amongst the German tribes (with some Suebi tribes choosing instead the call of Arminus while some Cherusci subtribes follow the Suebi), while the Quadi only became relevant fairly late. There are also the Goths and Cimbrii, which were powerful parts/tribes of the Suebi confederation. But it definately depends on when and in how much detail you wish to go.

Edited to add; there were enough warring tribes in Germania to fill out all faction slots should one wish to go in detail with them.

So you would say that Marobodus was part of the Suebi? Interesting; i always read of him being the Great Marcommanic King. Well the historical picture of Germania was extremly interesting IMO, And the struggle of those tribes against Rome and each other would be great.
The German tribes gave a real beating to Rome many times durign the Principate, and it would be great to play with them.

I would guess you could indeed help a lot if this mod was to start...

anubis88
04-11-2010, 13:56
Sorry double post...
Also the start of at the start of the Principate we could have the exact possition of the Roman Legions on the map, since we know most of their camps at the time

EDIT: I will try to make a WIP map for 27 BC, just to see how the world would look like on an EB map;

If you have any time, try doing this for other periods

Here's the first impression of the territories of Rome and others in 27 Bc; of course, it's just a glimpse
Note:
Darker Red - Areas for which i'm not sure were under direct control from Rome

https://img707.imageshack.us/i/romans2.gif/

Macilrille
04-11-2010, 16:40
Well, it is important to understand that the Suebi and the Suebi are not the same thing ;-)

As far as I can ascertain.

The Suebi was a Germanic tribe with subtribes.
The Suebi at large was a tribal alliance/confederation... whatever, of many tribes listed as Suebi by ancient authors and many of them with common material culture. Both the marcommani, Goths and Cimbrii were listed as Suebi tribes.

I cannot say whether I will be able to help with the mod if one ever comes to be actually made, will PM you.

But yes, the situation in Germania was very interesting (and volatile) another idea could be to make a Germania TW mod dealing with that- barbarorum to the limit (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ProudWarriorRaceGuy) ;-)

Fluvius Camillus
04-11-2010, 18:35
I've taken the liberty to make a team sig.

It's just a test, I can always make the background look much better!

So what is the first thing to improve.

https://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt22/Fluvius_Camillus/Ptolemaioitestsig.jpg

Well it is quite long..

~Fluvius

anubis88
04-11-2010, 18:39
Well, it is important to understand that the Suebi and the Suebi are not the same thing ;-)

As far as I can ascertain.

The Suebi was a Germanic tribe with subtribes.
The Suebi at large was a tribal alliance/confederation... whatever, of many tribes listed as Suebi by ancient authors and many of them with common material culture. Both the marcommani, Goths and Cimbrii were listed as Suebi tribes.

I cannot say whether I will be able to help with the mod if one ever comes to be actually made, will PM you.

But yes, the situation in Germania was very interesting (and volatile) another idea could be to make a Germania TW mod dealing with that- barbarorum to the limit (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ProudWarriorRaceGuy) ;-)

I hope you will find it interesting to join in the mod if one starts, i think your knowledge could be indispensible.

P.S- could anyone give me a suggestion how to make a spoiler of the picture of my map? It's too large for a non - spoilered picture, so i have to have a link, but it's probably not as flashy

Connacht
04-11-2010, 19:48
I suggest these:

Winter 218 BC

Banally, the dawn of the Second Punic War, the factions would be the same except for the Epeirotes... maybe Pergamon insted of the teal kingdom?

at around 190 BC

The struggle between Rome and the Seleucid empire for Greece, I'd really like to change history and conquer the Mediterranean basin with the grey death after Magnesia.
Macedon is a nut between the hammer and the anvil, unless a skillful player should take advantage of the clash of these two super-powers.
A long time ago defeated Carthage might take the opportunity to claim revenge for the Second Punic War, or try to survive the expansion of Rome.
The Parthians should follow their historical path or even push their limits beyond the Euphrates.

Somewhere from 70 a.C. to 50 BC

This campaign should give to the player the possibility to replay the wars of Caesar in Gaul and Pompeius in the East, or try to change history with their rivals, maybe an outstanding Gaul that conquers central Europe or a victorious Pontus that unifies the Anatolian peninsula.
We could even choose to create two allied roman factions and script the break of the civil war (well, you might think that it would be too Romano-centric... but in this period Rome is overwhelming the Mediterranean basin, so it is still the principal and most important power of those years).
Qart'hadast, Lusotannan, Makedonia, Epeiros and Baktria might be replaced by the Belgae, the Kingdom of Judea, the Yuezhi and the suggested second Roman faction.

Hax
04-11-2010, 20:41
I've created a WIP map of 171 BC. It includes these factions

BARBARIAN
1) Sweboz
2) Arverni
3) Aedui
4) Cantabri
5) Getai

ROMAN
6) Senatus populusque Romanus

WESTERN_GREEK
7) Makedonia
8) Koinon tes Achaion (Achaean League of Thermon, Korinthos and Krete)
9) Pergamon

EASTERN_GREEK
10) Arche Seleukeia
11) Ptolemaioi
12) Baktria

EASTERN
13) Pahlava
14) Pontos
15) Hayastan

NOMAD
16) Yuezhi
17) Sauromatae

SEMITIC
18) Nabataea
19) Kart-Hadast
20) Massylia (Numidia)

21) Rebels

EDIT: Wrong map again?

Things I don't like:

- No Saba
- No Boii
- No (Indo-)Sakae

I think not having the Saba really isn't a problem. The only faction that would get there is Nabataea. We can set them as their faction creator. I would really love to see the Boii, perhaps we can switch the Getai for the Boii? And the lack of the Sakae really really bugs me. I had the Bosporan Kingdom in there as well, but I gave their provinces to Pontos, because of their continuous alliance. Tell me what you think.

Cute Wolf
04-11-2010, 20:53
Get rid of the Koinon, as Spartans is no more!!! Made the Indo Saka available :furious3:

Hax
04-11-2010, 21:32
Check the map, Chen-man. Sparta is not a part of the Achaian league, Thermon, Korinthos and Kydonia are.

Duguntz
04-11-2010, 21:46
and late in the game the Koinon Thrakon should appear, as it was historically, around the first century AD

Fluvius Camillus
04-11-2010, 22:41
I've created a WIP map of 171 BC. It includes these factions

BARBARIAN
1) Sweboz
2) Arverni
3) Aedui
4) Cantabri
5) Getai

ROMAN
6) Senatus populusque Romanus

WESTERN_GREEK
7) Makedonia
8) Koinon tes Achaion (Achaean League of Thermon, Korinthos and Krete)
9) Pergamon

EASTERN_GREEK
10) Arche Seleukeia
11) Ptolemaioi
12) Baktria

EASTERN
13) Pahlava
14) Pontos
15) Hayastan

NOMAD
16) Yuezhi
17) Sauromatae

SEMITIC
18) Nabataea
19) Kart-Hadast
20) Massylia (Numidia)

21) Rebels

EDIT: Wrong map again?

Things I don't like:

- No Saba
- No Boii
- No (Indo-)Sakae

I think not having the Saba really isn't a problem. The only faction that would get there is Nabataea. We can set them as their faction creator. I would really love to see the Boii, perhaps we can switch the Getai for the Boii? And the lack of the Sakae really really bugs me. I had the Bosporan Kingdom in there as well, but I gave their provinces to Pontos, because of their continuous alliance. Tell me what you think.

Ok thanks for helping I however have some points:

Rome at this time does not rule the majority of Iberia. And from 154 to 133BC, the romans face the Lusitanian Viriathus, a cunning enemy of the Romans. This is exactly the time that EB's Lusotanian faction came into the spotlight of history. Lusotanians or Lusotanian confederacy would be a good factions here (the Lusitanians in this war were allied with the Celtiberians), So they should be used instead of the Cantabri.

I was busy with painting a map but I can only find maps of 200BC and 150 BC, in these years much changes, for examples in the easter part of the Seleukid empire.

I tried to continue my WIP map, but for some reason, which really makes me angry, paint suddenly won't use the paint bucket. It worked at first, a handy way to color the provinces, but now when I click to color a province, nothing happens. Edit: Something happened with the pixels, the paint bucket only colours per pixel instead of per area now, weird.

~Fluvius

anubis88
04-11-2010, 23:00
Ok thanks for helping I however have some points:

Rome at this time does not rule the majority of Iberia. And from 154 to 133BC, the romans face the Lusitanian Viriathus, a cunning enemy of the Romans. This is exactly the time that EB's Lusotanian faction came into the spotlight of history. Lusotanians or Lusotanian confederacy would be a good factions here (the Lusitanians in this war were allied with the Celtiberians), So they should be used instead of the Cantabri.

I was busy with painting a map but I can only find maps of 200BC and 150 BC, in these years much changes, for examples in the easter part of the Seleukid empire.

I tried to continue my WIP map, but for some reason, which really makes me angry, paint suddenly won't use the paint bucket. It worked at first, a handy way to color the provinces, but now when I click to color a province, nothing happens. Edit: Something happened with the pixels, the paint bucket only colours per pixel instead of per area now, weird.

~Fluvius

I had the same problem with my map, once the map was at full size it "bucketed" nicely, but when i gave the size to a half, it gave me only a few pixels... still managed to do it.

Also for the map of Hax, i think Pergamon has too much teriotory... I think they never got pas the Taurus Mountains

Fluvius Camillus
04-12-2010, 10:08
I had the same problem with my map, once the map was at full size it "bucketed" nicely, but when i gave the size to a half, it gave me only a few pixels... still managed to do it.

Also for the map of Hax, i think Pergamon has too much teriotory... I think they never got pas the Taurus Mountains

After Antiochos III Megas lost Magnesia, he was forced to leave all territory in Asia Minor past the Tauros. That means he may keep Kilikia, but the others were lost mainly to Pergamon.

EDIT: WIP MAP

https://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt22/Fluvius_Camillus/ebagain.gif

Note that I have not yet included Casse, as they can be replaced by a faction who plays a more important role at the time (IMHO).

~Fluvius

Cute Wolf
04-12-2010, 10:18

~Fluvius

did you ude photoshop or gimp? if the former is the cause, it was because you set the anti alias on, and contingous area flling off.

anubis88
04-12-2010, 11:20
Well he said he was using Paint, not Gimp or Photoshop :)

Anyways, i'm uploading the first 2 posts as we speak; trying to make an intro or something :D
once Fluvius adds a map, i will put it in his suggestion as well

Fluvius Camillus
04-12-2010, 12:21
Well he said he was using Paint, not Gimp or Photoshop :)

Anyways, i'm uploading the first 2 posts as we speak; trying to make an intro or something :D
once Fluvius adds a map, i will put it in his suggestion as well

Open up your eyes, I edited it my previous post.~D

And yes I was using paint, I found no need to use the better image editors. I dont think there are any options in paint to turn such things on/off. Thanks anyway.

~Fluvius

anubis88
04-12-2010, 13:08
I have a few things to say, since we would still be bound to do a Historically accurate campaing in EB's spirit;)
- I don't think the Romans conquered Ambrakia till much later on IIRC.
- You've shown the Iberian tribes as a single power? That doens't look right...
- Shouldn't Hecatompylos be under Parthian control by this time?
- The Baleares fell to the Romans 50 years from this date

I'm sorry if it's complainign, but i believe we would want a clear picture of what was going on

Fluvius Camillus
04-12-2010, 15:54
I have a few things to say, since we would still be bound to do a Historically accurate campaing in EB's spirit;)

I'm sorry if it's complainign, but i believe we would want a clear picture of what was going on

It's Work in Progress, but I'll answer your questions:

It was sacked according to my sources. I grabbed a few easy acces for you:

Macilrille's Roman time line
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?122495-Very-rough-timeline-of-Roman-Conquests&highlight=timeline

Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrakia

According to Wiki it should be a type IV or a rebel (with Roman allied status, like KH allied with Sinope). Open to discuss.

I need more sources of Iberia (just like the EB team). But my own work and this wiki talks of a Lusotannan and Celtiberian confederacy, it would make no sense presenting them as rebels, maybe a type IV.

IIRC the Gaelicians fougth at the Lusitanian side and Romans campaigned there after Viriathus was defeated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viriathus

You got me there, I was not sure exactly, since Mithridates I did not start his mass conquest of Eastern Seleucid territory yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithridates_I_of_Parthia
Herat can be counted as the region of Aria (Alexandreia Ariana) and went together with Margiane (another mistake) in 167BC, four years after the start.

This one proves your right:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hekatompylos

I think you are right again!
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?122495-Very-rough-timeline-of-Roman-Conquests&highlight=timeline

This map made me believe otherwise and thus, loses some crediblity:
http://www.worldhistorymaps.info/images/East-Hem_200bc.jpg

Constructive criticism always welcome. And everything is better than no comments on the research.

Problems I face:
I don't have any book on Seleukids, I don't know if anyone posesses From Samarkhand to Sardis but that would be a great help in mapping that part of the world.
Ptolemy VI Philometor is only 15 years old, RTW engine wise, he cant be the Basileus and Epphanes is already dead.
Also it will be VERY hard to make the civil wars look good:
- Ptolemy VI Philemetor vs. Phtolemy VIII Euergetes II
- The Seleukids after Demetrius I Soter.
- Romani, slaves and Social.
- Baktria

Suggestion B
I am also considering to change my (still has to made) suggestion B to 146ish. That would be before the Jugurthine war and at the reign of Antiochos VII Sidetes. Or what about a Teutonic/CImbri faction, who leads a giant invasion and the rise of Marius.

- No more Makedonia, Qarthadast, which means 2 new faction slots and maybe even a new culture slot (changing Western Greek, Eastern Greek could be Asiatic Greek then, Ptolemaioi, Seleukid, Pergamene).

However this would also bring its own problems, Ptolemy VI Philometor vs. Euergetes II may take a rebel faction and Pergamon is near its end. Also in southern Hellas, some Western Greeks still exist, although they fullfill a minor role.

Far more, but I'll put that in when I have a more concrete idea of my suggestion B.

Feel free to comment!

~Fluvius

anubis88
04-12-2010, 16:36
Well, it seems we were moved... :D.. No matter;

I appreciate you like constructive critisim; it's definetly the way to go.

I thought about a late republican mod myself, but when i started thinkin about all the civil strife that was happening at the time :S... Jeez, it made me change my mind... But, putting aside the civil wars... a good date to start would be at the start of the Jugurthine war; in 113 BC, perhaps having the battle of Noreia as the first battle a player has to fight once he starts the campaign... But that would take someone who knows how to deal with this things.

Also i will add a new faction on my suggestion, actually 2 of which i've totaly forgoten about :)

anubis88
04-27-2010, 13:04
Okay, i must bump this thread, just to have a response...

I will start helping with similar goals, so my work could actually be used by both, prehaps the 2 could merge or whatever... Will se how it goes...

I just want to know, if there's anyone willing to help me on the project of the game starting in 27/25 BC.
I've already started with my historical research, so i just want to see if there is someone actually interested to help me

thanks

Cute Wolf
04-27-2010, 14:29
well, maybe we can made some removal with Romaioi Camillan units, and replace them with more units for another faction :idea2:

And not forget changing the reform condition in the script...

anubis88
04-27-2010, 14:49
The romans would loose all of their Marian, Polybian and Cammilian units, that would indeed make a lot of space. My thought was to have the romans having their 28 starting legions, something like RS is doing instead of having the Romans all the reforms. The campaign would be basicaly sript free, at least at first.

I dare not to ask... Would you, actually could you help with the mod? I bet though that you must have your hands full with NTW :S

Cute Wolf
04-27-2010, 16:34
The romans would loose all of their Marian, Polybian and Cammilian units, that would indeed make a lot of space. My thought was to have the romans having their 28 starting legions, something like RS is doing instead of having the Romans all the reforms. The campaign would be basicaly sript free, at least at first.

I dare not to ask... Would you, actually could you help with the mod? I bet though that you must have your hands full with NTW :S

wait, so basically we started in imperial age??? hoo.... maybe we must indeed doing research on some new units then...
if that was some map or script modification, I'm sure I'll help... as long it was only a little thing (not makin relocation and renaming half of the regions involved)

PS: and I greatly dislike RS Idea of getting such ridiculous ammount of identical units with identical stats and identical equipments that can't retrained in another regions because they are limited to some area or such, maybe we'll better use imperial cohort unchanged, as EB is making a new history, and not reenacting it with utmost care (maybe we can use "legion_name" instead of separate units)

Oh yeah, and about my hand.... if it was just minor correction in script and mapping, it will be ok... but you can't expect me to revise entire map area, or move copious ammount of map (such as adding china to our map :clown:)

anubis88
04-27-2010, 17:12
Yeah, it would require a few new units, however many factions could remain the same, or with some minor alterations:
The Iceni,
The Sarmatians
The Indo-Scythians
Parthia
the Dacians
The Cantabrians
the Romans (adding more units of course)
Saba
Bosphorus (could have a lot of AOR from EB, + new ones...)
Armenia
Cappadocia (or commagane?) could use a lot of AOR units as well, since the area is full of them...

Also, the most important units of many of this factions already exist in EB....

It would be indeed great of you could help with the map a bit... Not by doing anything spectacular, perhaps just by renaiming a few cities...

for example, the cities that are now Roman would need a roman name - Carthago, Utica, Saguntum, Carthago nova etc...
I think the map is as perfect as it can be even for such a mod...

If you could change the name of a few cities, it would be of really great help to me...

Also, if you would have time to do some reserch perhaps, would be great...
As i see it, this modification would be that great.... for the firs release, perhaps we wouldn't use all the factions, just the old ones + a few new germanic tribes... and walla, a completly new game-play experience...

i'm hoping i would get help from some of you, but i'm really gonna do my best to get such a mod of the ground, even if i had to do it myself... Once i have a team, the fun may begin :)

Cute Wolf
04-27-2010, 17:40
no, i can't be expected to do the research, as in the research field, I allready got a lot of headache in stitching the line of (mostly finished) nusantara TW research, and I know research is actually the most difficult things in a modding project, after modelling...

But if you present what should I rename, and what should I do with the map and script, that would be ok...

anubis88
04-27-2010, 17:58
no, i can't be expected to do the research, as in the research field, I allready got a lot of headache in stitching the line of (mostly finished) nusantara TW research, and I know research is actually the most difficult things in a modding project, after modelling...

But if you present what should I rename, and what should I do with the map and script, that would be ok...

Thanks, that would be of great help... Once i get a team, i will tell which settlements need to be renamed... That's practically everything i would need atm...

so, thanks again :)...

Any other help from you guys? :D

Fluvius Camillus
04-27-2010, 20:28
Thanks, that would be of great help... Once i get a team, i will tell which settlements need to be renamed... That's practically everything i would need atm...

so, thanks again :)...

Any other help from you guys? :D

I would like to help, it would make sense if we only did one of the presented choices though... So shouldn't we decide what to pick, or work alongside each other. I have to disappoint you on my time, as I can be quite busy. I indeed have a lot of EB Bibliography books and my school is near a history library with even more info. Apart from research and basic modding things (editing some text files, changing colours, writing descriptions), I can barely do anything...:embarassed:

~Fluvius

anubis88
04-27-2010, 20:38
Hey Fluvius... Don't think i forgot about you... The thing is, that i'm 100% for the Principate mod. It's really a very interesting area for the mod to start, and finaly no CIVIL WARS, which is why i like it so much... If i did a mod like in 171 BC, and without civil wars, it would loose all the fun for myself, although i believe not all people are history fanatics like me, so this doesn't bother them as much...

If you would decide to assist in a Principate mod, i would be honored of your help, if however people would decide on a 171 mod, my assistance would be dubius. Not becouse i wouldn't want to, just because i wouldn't be motivated enough to do thorough reserch...

gamegeek2
06-03-2010, 03:54
I'd be very interested to help out with this project.

Start Date: 80 BCE

-Post-Marian: Simplifies things for the Roman players
-Gaius Marius has just recently died
-Pompeii has just celebrated a triumph - he is an FM
-Caesar is a young FM, just recently come to power
-Social War has ended
-Second Mithradatic War has just ended
-Gallic Conquest has not yet happened
-Mithradates is alive and well
-Indo-Saka are just getting started
-Seleucids are almost dead

--- Factions ---

Senatus Populusque Romanus (obviously)
Boii
Aedui
Arverni
Getai
Suebi
Lugiones
Ptolemaioi
Hasmoneans
Nabatu
Indo-Greeks
Indo-Saka
Pontus
Hayasdan
Parthia
Sauromatae
Yuezhi
Himyarites
Axum
Meroe
Eleutheroi

anubis88
06-03-2010, 09:41
Hey Gamegeek2, nice to hear from a EB team member...

I must admit i have lost a bit my all-out Principate wishes, and would love to help with a republican mod. 80 BC seems good, but it would be nice if we could find ways to script the Civil-wars that followed in Rome. Basically after the third Mithridatic war, Rome was the Alpha and the Omega, and there was nothing anyone could do... I just fear Rome would be to overpowered if there wasn't a Roman rebel faction:)...

Have you any idea what the map would look like?

P.S. And what about the Sertorians in Spain? I think they already had things going over there... And the 3 Serville war would be coming... I dunno. Without this events, the campaing would be dry

Cute Wolf
06-03-2010, 15:33
you could give one faction slot for Ivlivs Caesar family, and let the rest will be SPQR I tought. so this mod will focus on the struggle of caesar. OR PERHAPS THE OPPOSITE WAY ARROUND, made the Ivlivs Caesar family either "spawn on revolt" or "shadowing" SPQR faction. so the Romans will have to defend the republics from within. We could made several hapiness penalty for the Romans to emulate that, and Caesar will have practically no loyalty to teh SPQR...

so basically it was "SPQR" and "Imperivm Ivlianum" faction

perhaps you could kick one less important Barbarian faction... any ideas?

gamegeek2
06-04-2010, 01:54
Hey Gamegeek2, nice to hear from a EB team member...

I must admit i have lost a bit my all-out Principate wishes, and would love to help with a republican mod. 80 BC seems good, but it would be nice if we could find ways to script the Civil-wars that followed in Rome. Basically after the third Mithridatic war, Rome was the Alpha and the Omega, and there was nothing anyone could do... I just fear Rome would be to overpowered if there wasn't a Roman rebel faction:)...

Have you any idea what the map would look like?

P.S. And what about the Sertorians in Spain? I think they already had things going over there... And the 3 Serville war would be coming... I dunno. Without this events, the campaing would be dry

I'm a fan first and a team member second. I'm willing to put in significant effort into this project, and already have a map in the works (via Google Earth, to suggest settlements)

I missed out on the Numidians, but I think we'd best devote our attention to the real things that put Rome in trouble - Mithradates - as well as the threats from Germania.

anubis88
06-04-2010, 11:25
I couldn't agree more. But we would definetly need to find a way to make the game harder for Rome, we would need to find a way for Rome to have at least some sort of civil strugle, perhaps even by devoting a "rebel" Roman faction, since it was all about Rome and it's civil wars at this time. We could make the transition to Principate a drastic one, one that's only possible if a certain character arises, who crushes the rebellions...

At the begining i was all for a principate mod, but almost no help would arise. This way I could still work on that + the late republic which is my second most interesting part of Roman history. I'm also willing to put a lot of work to this project, since i can't stand to do sth. that i can't stand behind it and argument.

gamegeek2
06-04-2010, 22:31
The game will do that for us. Look at what happens to AS - same thing will happen to Rome. Though I suppose not every bit of their border is immediately threatened (neither was the AS's, though).

We can have massive rebel defender and decent invader stacks in Iberia, same thing with Africa.

Having both Lugiones and Suebi mandate a couple new provinces in Germania - plus, some old ones were stupid (for example, the Saami, Thissakata, etc, provinces) - these will be replaced with historically accurate Balto-Slavic tribal and geographic names. More northern, out-of-reach provinces will become ones that multiple factions can realistically vie for.

The EB Germanic wouldn't need to be changed much, except for changing voiced stops to voiceless ones.

Cute Wolf
06-06-2010, 17:18
hmm, so the central euroopeans will got several map changes...
what about the "creator faction" in some allready long roman held provinces, such as in Hellas proper and iberia? did they gone with Romans (so rebel to romans if revolted), or keep the original owner?

anubis88
06-06-2010, 23:50
Interesting... However Iberia is a touchy subject. Under Sertorius we can practically speak of a "first united" spanish state. It did enconpass almost all of the Iberian penninsula, without the far north and south. I would suggest to make most of the cities heavilly fortified and under the Rebel faction, if not under a seperate Roman one (which they almost deserve imho)

gamegeek2
06-07-2010, 00:47
Are we decided on 80 BC?

gamegeek2
06-07-2010, 02:02
On Germania:

Having specific, tribal "warband" units seems rather ahistorical (I find the idea of all of a tribe fighting in the same manner somewhat silly), though units representing a different. Also, the Bastarnae having Germanic names seems rather silly - they were Germanic in the sense that they shared a similar material culture and tribal, relatively collectivist way of live with the Balts and Germans of the time, not that they shared a language with the Germanic peoples living several hundred miles away.

For the Lugians and Swabians, I propose a roster outline something like this:

--- Germanic Units ---
Jugunðiz (Germanic Skirmishers) - Basic skirmish unit, equipped with several javelins and an underhand spear
Gaisofulxo Frijod (Germanic Levy Spearmen) - Basic tribal spear unit.
Dugunðiz (Germanic Retainers) - Retainers of a lower-level chieftain or warlord; experienced veterans of war. Should be much stronger than they were in EB1. Equipped with several framea for throwing and melee.
Xosenthozez Xazdadoi (Germanic Bodyguards) - Germanic Bodyguards, equipped with both framea and single-edged sword.
Thexnozez Dreuguloi (Germanic Heavy Infantry) - Elite infantry, equipped with both framea and Celtic sword.
Speutogorðoz (Germanic Pikemen) - Specialist units, equipped with long spears. Form a shieldwall.

--- Lugian Units ---
Baltic Skirmishers - Basic skirmish unit, equipped with several javelins and an underhand spear. Can probably share a model with their Germanic counterparts.
Zemjones (Baltic Levy Spearmen) - Basic tribal spear unit, from EB, equipped with . Name may need changing
Baltic Retainers - Aanalogous to the Dugunðiz in role and in equipment, and can share a model with them as well.
Lugian Heavy Infantry - Celtic-style heavy swordsmen armoured in chainmail, equipped with gaisa and a La Tene sword. Can use the Neitos model.
Przeworsk Heavy Cavalry - A fusion of Gothic/Vandilic, Celtic, and Baltic cavalry traditions. Armoured in chain and equipped with a long lance, shield, and single-edged sword.
Lugian Bodyguard - Same as Przeworsk Heavy Cavalry.

--- Shared Units ---
Sloxonez (Clubmen) - Simple club unit found throughout Germania
Reiðonez (Germanic Cavalry) - Very similar to the Dugunðiz in equipment, but mounted on horses. Excellent light horsemen, should be better than in EB1.
Skeudjonez (Archers) - Simple, basic archer unit.
Slingers - Simple sling unit, can use the Iaosatae model.

--- Regional/Local Units ---
Korodrougos (Pomeranian Swordsmen) - Name will need changing. Basically retainers from the comparatively well-off tribes along the southern coast of the Baltic Sea. Equipped with single-edged swords
Aestii Clubmen - Tacitus mentions that the Aestii favored clubs - we can represent this with a unit of clubmen. Can probably share a model with the Sloxonez.
Woithiz Wotho - Will probably need a name or similar change. Nude Harii warriors, painted entirely black.

Ingaevonic Cavalry - As evidenced by increasing number of horse equipment burials in the area - cavalry became important among the peoples of Jutland and among the Chauci, who he describes as abounding in men and horses. Not sure as of what their equipment should be, but it would likely be influenced heavily by the previously dominant material culture, which was similar to that of the La Tene. I think they can just be the Germanic Heavies from EB1, but with a different name.
Cotini Swordsmen - Armoured in leather cuirasses and equipped with single-edged swords and several gaisa.
East Balto-Slavic Archers - Equipped with steppe composite bows, excellent archers far superior to their Germanic counterparts.
East Balto-Slavic Axemen - The Kirwinikos, except reskinned to be equipped with a Scythian axe.

NOTE: Despite the several high-end units, these will be very rare and available only at the highest MIC level, if we use EB's MIC system for the Germanic factions (it seems inappropriate to me).

anubis88
06-07-2010, 11:18
Are we decided on 80 BC?

I dunno. I'm for it... We should probably see what other people think? People who would help us do this... 80 BC seems very interesting... It could really kick-ass if we made things right....
I can't wait to see the list of my FM's including;
-Gaius Julius Caesar
-Gnaius Pompeius Magnus
-Lucius Licinius Lucullus
-Marcus Licinius Crassus
- Marcus Tullius Cicero
-
- We could even squeeze in Marcus Porcius Cato
and of course Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix as the Dictator

The major points of the campaign should be;
- An extremly powerful Rome, yet the power is more in the hands of warlords than an centralized state (waiting for an Augustus to set things right)
- war against Sertorius and hispanic tribes that are allied with him
- end of the 2nd Mithridatic war, with Mithridates just showing that he CAN beat the Romans if they underestimate him
- the great rise of power of Tigranes the Great
- Parthia at one of her top peaks
- Indo-Saka becoming a regional superpower
- The invasion of Gaul waiting to happen

We could start posting the names of the people interested for doing this, then a list of factions that would definetly be in, + other which we could talk about:

gamegeek2
06-07-2010, 16:19
Indo-Saka are just getting started right now, IIRC.

Sertorius can be represented by rebels, no?

anubis88
06-07-2010, 16:41
Well the Eastern part of the map after the fall of the Seleucid Empire isn't my speciality, but i was under the impression that the Saka's were already strong at this time.
Why I think Sertorius should have his own faction:
Quintus Sertorius managed to make a country for himself in Spain. After he fled from Rome, he fled first in Spain, then in Africa, and back in Spain (IIRC). The people of Iberia, especially the Lusitanias, pledged their full allegiance to him, if he were to liberate them.
The Sertorian state in Spain became a refuge for Romans, who didn't see either eye with the current powers in the City. He also established his own senate, and trained Hispanic troops to fight as Romans, but they weren't as versatile and effective as the "pure" roman troops in his armies.

He made Osca his capital, and minted his own coins; he also built schools to edjucate the Hispanians in Latin and Roman ways. Quintus Sertorius was never defeated in battle. His enemies were 2 great generals, Metellus and Pompey, yet they never defeated him. Pompey was one of the all-time Roman greats, and if he couldn't defeat Sertorius, that means that a less competent general would probably fail completly, and i doubt Rome would be able to launch another assault on Spain, especially since the Spartacus rebellion began, and Mithridates renewed his hostility.

And the last argument for now, Sertorius was invited back to Rome, once Sulla was dead. But he refused. He was content with trying to create a country of his own, far away from the political turmoils of Rome.

As i said, I believe that he deserves a faction. He held Pompey at bay. Pompey steamrolled through asia. (lucullus helped a lot, but still).

If he would be represented by rebels, that's fine. They would have to be uber strong though :).
I just wanted to keep this open for debate.

As i said, we could make them rebells, but having a 2nd Roman faction could be very interesting

gamegeek2
06-08-2010, 21:10
Great idea. Now who gets shafted? Axum or Meroe I think...

anubis88
06-08-2010, 21:28
I'm glad you like it... I did quite a bit of research on him, since i found him grossely underestimated in Roman history...

Your probably right, Axum will perhaps be the one to be removed in such a case... Perhaps it wouldn't hurt if we had a faction on the British isles? Surely we could use much more from the roman sources than in 272 BC? Also the new Prittanoi of EBII have a huge amount of interesting info, especially on the military...

So we are gonna do this right? I would love to do such a thing... It would kick ass... The first release could be made prety soon IMHO... Quite a few factions could have their rosters similar as in the 272 BC EB;
-SPQR
-Armenia
-Parthia
-Pontus
-Dacia
-Arverni
-German tribes...
-Haedui
-Sarmatians
-Indo-Saka
-Indo-Greeks
-Saba (hymarites?)

Oh and BTW, did you mention the Cantabri? They could make an interesting faction in Iberia...

Cute Wolf
06-10-2010, 14:44
remember the 20 factions limit.... :wink:
ah yes, so there will be more cuties in Iberia I think, and we can reduce one in greece....

anubis88
06-10-2010, 16:12
So this is the faction selection presented by Gamegeek2;

--- Factions ---

Boii
Aedui
Arverni
Getai
Suebi
Lugiones
Ptolemaioi
Hasmoneans
Nabatu
Indo-Greeks
Indo-Saka
Pontus
Hayasdan
Parthia
Sauromatae
Yuezhi
Himyarites
Axum
Meroe
Eleutheroi

My added suggestions would be as mentioned earlier the Cantabri and the Sertoriani... So what do you think? Are they worth taking 2 factions out the ones Gamegeek2 proposed?

Cute Wolf
06-10-2010, 19:45
I suggest take Aedui out, and let arvernii rule gaul, so that way you can include United Iberians. Also take out Meroe and make way for a roman shadow faction, because you need to represent the rise of the empire.

LDC
06-10-2010, 23:48
I would also strongly recommend to take out Axum and put the Massyli (Numidians) there instead.
Here are maps of the world in 100 BCE and in 50 BCE
http://worldhistorymaps.info/images/East-Hem_100bc.jpg
http://worldhistorymaps.info/images/East-Hem_050bc.jpg

gamegeek2
06-11-2010, 01:06
Saba roster would need significant changes. For example, their nobles and bodyguards should have bows, not javelins. AtB intends to fix this, you can use our models for them and the nabatu.

anubis88
06-11-2010, 08:52
That's great to hear... I was hoping you could take the helm on this project, since your the one with the most experience... As i said, i could do a lot of research but not much alse...

Rahwana
06-11-2010, 16:26
That's great to hear... I was hoping you could take the helm on this project, since your the one with the most experience... As i said, i could do a lot of research but not much alse...

nah, you are the one who initiate it, you must do the job spearheading the work.... :grin:

BTW, did you need some unexpert scripter :clown:

anubis88
06-11-2010, 21:35
nah, you are the one who initiate it, you must do the job spearheading the work.... :grin:

BTW, did you need some unexpert scripter :clown:

Haha... What kind of a question is this? Of course we do! Ok, if i need to lead this (for now, i will gladly allow it to another, after all, we are still a republic XD) I will have to know what people can offer....

What we need;
- Someone who can alter the map; we will change some settlement names, and perhaps change a few cities, in order for it to be more 80BC-ish...
- A scripter and coder - We can use many things from EB here, but it would be nice to do some mini-missions like in EB
- Skinners
- Modelers
- Researchers (here i can volounter myself, especially for Rome, the Sertoriani, and even the Kingdom of Pontus)
- ? I dunno... It's a bit late... perhaps i forgot something...

How I would tackle this

First thing's first...
I need to know how many people are willing to do work on this submod,
then a vote about the factions would occure; it seems were still undecided a bit... 15 or so factions are pretty much decided, but the rest could be debated
Then, the work would be divided... What anyone could do, than we would find an internal forum or so, where we could share the progress and problems...

So... should we get started? (if you know anyone who would be perhaps willing to help, send him a PM or sth:laugh4:)

Rahwana
06-12-2010, 22:14
did you forgot CW offering his mapping skillz.... you should got some notes of that... :grin:
maybe you should start listing all the crews for a good reason...

gamegeek2
06-13-2010, 01:13
If CW wants to work, I think he should do some modeling as well. There won't be too much of it anyways :D

--- CURRENT VOLUNTEERS ---

--- Project Leaders ---
gamegeek2 (as anubis seems to want)
anubis88

--- Scripters & Coders ---
gamegeek2 (EDU)
Sonic

--- Modelers & Skinners ---
Cute Wolf (modeler & skinner)?
skullheadhq (skinner)?

--- Historians ---
gamegeek2
anubis88

anubis88
06-13-2010, 08:50
I didn't forget about CW, he was one of the first that offered help:sweatdrop:.

@Gamegeek2

I would be delighted if you could help me steer this ship, since i have no (online) leadership experiences... Once i'll get how things work, i'll gladly relieve you of some work...

It's great that guys from Nusantura and ATB will help, it will speed things up considerably.... Also if we could use some of the ATB units:sweatdrop::sweatdrop:...,

Hopefuly a few other people we join, once they see we got going...

Oh and thanks guys for volunteering... I was begining to lose hope:shame:

gamegeek2
06-13-2010, 14:59
Not sure they will help, that's why there are question marks.

Of course you'll get to use AtB units.

Cute Wolf
06-14-2010, 09:47
aaahhhhh... nononononooo.... I'm just want to do the mapping.... :grin:
*. Unless my Nusantara TW modelling headache was finished... (still asking a lot from wlesmana, afterall I'm just a very newbie modellers) - you didn't want to have Roman soldiers who have overlength arm and deformed face, right?

Finn MacCumhail
06-14-2010, 12:50
80 BC? So Sulla as a FL of Romans, Caesar fighting in Asia Minor...

BTW being modeler and skinner I can help too. Inform me if you need my help.

anubis88
06-14-2010, 14:23
80 BC? So Sulla as a FL of Romans, Caesar fighting in Asia Minor...

BTW being modeler and skinner I can help too. Inform me if you need my help.

Are you serious? Of course we would need you... We do need any help we can get, and modelers and skinners are always in short supply... I will get back to you, once a mod-plan will be made.

@CuteWolf...
Well mapping will do... But if you'll have any spare time...

Cute Wolf
06-14-2010, 14:37
list me as mapper first, as I'm not sure about modelling jobs for me...

oh yeah, where is the official members' lists?

gamegeek2
06-14-2010, 19:05
Finn, what happened to you and AtB?

Fluvius Camillus
06-14-2010, 23:17
Sorry for the late response!

I would like to help, but I don't think I will be of much help. I cannot skin or model or anything. So don't be disappointed in my work.

I can:
- Edit .txt files (write descriptions modify colours names etc.)
- Research factions (Ptolemaioi or SPQR would be my fields I think)
- Check spelling or do simple stuff nobody wants to do.
- Bring up ideas.~D

Also I can learn quick with programs. Don't get too high expectations of me.

~Fluvius

gamegeek2
06-15-2010, 01:34
You guys think this should be a community project, very open, or closed for most of development, like AtB?

anubis88
06-15-2010, 08:47
Sorry for the late response!

I would like to help, but I don't think I will be of much help. I cannot skin or model or anything. So don't be disappointed in my work.

I can:
- Edit .txt files (write descriptions modify colours names etc.)
- Research factions (Ptolemaioi or SPQR would be my fields I think)
- Check spelling or do simple stuff nobody wants to do.
- Bring up ideas.~D

Also I can learn quick with programs. Don't get too high expectations of me.

~Fluvius

Great.... We will need a bit on history definetly... If you can do only that it will help. Of course we will be bound to 100% (if possible) historical accuracy, and in-depth information...

@Gamegeek2
I suggest it being closed, only available for the people working at it... It seems easier without people watching your every step :)...

what do you think?

Cute Wolf
06-15-2010, 12:22
I myself think that this project will be better to be worked as semi-open (but kept some as developer's secret), so at least the community knows about the overall progress more openly, but not the details... that way, you'll got the community's whip...

gamegeek2
06-18-2010, 17:12
We can also have LS legionaries.

anubis88
06-18-2010, 18:35
We can also have LS legionaries.

that will give us 1000+ fans :D

So what have we decided about the mod being community or private?

gamegeek2
06-18-2010, 19:57
Apparently, lots of public input, but largely private otherwise.

I'll set up something on Forumotion maybe?

gamegeek2
06-18-2010, 20:16
Anyone interested in joining should PM me and sign up on our forum.

anubis88
06-19-2010, 11:11
Anyone interested in joining should PM me and sign up on our forum.

I edited my first 2 posts in order for people not to be confused. I will update it frequently. If you have any idea what i should add, please do tell.

DeathFinger
06-19-2010, 12:55
80 BC in the East?

Uh , lot of fun: Sakas of Seistan, Yuezhei in Baktria/Sogdiana, Indo-Greeks in Panjab and Patalene/Saurastrene....:laugh4:

Well, if you want some help about geopolitical problems in this far East I could help you a little bit. BTW 80 BC is almost the date when Maues, the hellenized Indo-Saka took the throne in Taxila, so you must take care at the precise start of the mod's date here

anubis88
06-19-2010, 14:27
80 BC in the East?

Uh , lot of fun: Sakas of Seistan, Yuezhei in Baktria/Sogdiana, Indo-Greeks in Panjab and Patalene/Saurastrene....:laugh4:

Well, if you want some help about geopolitical problems in this far East I could help you a little bit. BTW 80 BC is almost the date when Maues, the hellenized Indo-Saka took the throne in Taxila, so you must take care at the precise start of the mod's date here

wow... Good to hear you could offer some help. I must admit i have very little idea what was going on at this time east of Parthia. All i know is from the interaction between the scythians/greeks and the Parthian Empire. Some geopolitical input would be great, so we may start on a early map... West is pretty much clear cut (except Hispania imho), the east is where the problems will rise.

We will gladly hear your input if you'll help us

gamegeek2
06-19-2010, 19:48
West is not clear cut. Germania will need some clear changes in settlements, rather than "Gawjam X" - I'd prefer to use Ptolemy to get some actual settlements.

I already have something going on in Google Earth.

gamegeek2
06-20-2010, 06:30
We should post our reasoning for 80 BC

-Rome is the major Mediterranean superpower, but the Empire is far from complete
-Famous historical characters such as Pompey, Caesar, Sulla, Cicero, Crassus, and more for Rome; excellent roleplaying opportunities
-Indo-Saka are getting started

Cute Wolf
06-20-2010, 06:48
good... ^^

DeathFinger
06-20-2010, 10:23
- Indo-Saka are a big deal under Maues
- Indo-Greek kingdom still exists under a certain Hermaios in the Paropamisadai, so interesting conflict between both.
- Yuezhei of Baktria/Sogdiana divided between 5 yabghu, but playing the "Guishuang" one to unit all of those and creat the Koushan kingdom would be fun I think.

anubis88
06-20-2010, 10:31
We should post our reasoning for 80 BC

-Famous historical characters such as Pompey, Caesar, Sulla, Cicero, Crassus, and more for Rome; excellent roleplaying opportunities
-Indo-Saka are getting started

And...

- Burebista is King of the Getai... The strongest king until Decebalus
- Spain is a war-zone, with strongen northen tribes and a newly formulated Roman state lead by Quintus Sertorius
-

Macilrille
06-20-2010, 20:49
My pet peeve...

Where is the Cimbrii/Haerudi?

Jutland in 80 BC was definately to be reckoned with though likely merging with the Suebi (Caesar lists the haerudi as following Ariovistus and Tacitus all Denmark as being part).

And no, I still cannot help by anything else than letting GG2 copy what I do internally that can be made public (not too much yet).

Sorry.

DeathFinger
06-20-2010, 21:53
Maybe the first thing to do would be to choose the 20 factions so :sweatdrop:

--- Factions ---

Boii
Aedui
Arverni
Getai
Suebi
Lugiones
Ptolemaioi
Hasmoneans
Nabatu
Indo-Greeks
Indo-Saka
Pontus
Hayasdan
Parthia
Sauromatae
Yuezhi
Himyarites
Axum
Meroe
Eleutheroi

Sertorius isn't in this list :(

anubis88
06-20-2010, 22:47
We are still deciding about the factions that should be in... This were all wip lists... We made a list on the new internal forums, and made a core of 13 or so factions that must be in... We are still deciding about who else deserves the spot(s).

Let's just say the Romani are definetly in, unless something unforseen happens :)

Gonras
06-26-2010, 13:28
hello, just signed in to this freaking mod. Playing EB since 2008 and now i see my chance to help.
Though I am not able to programm or model anything, I might be able to help you in historical terms.
Ever thought about including the jewish revolt in about 70 AC?

I am also quite fond in germanic history and also in weapon and warfare of that time. Can you make use of me?
If not, it wouldn't be bad either. Was just asking :)

anubis88
06-26-2010, 15:59
Hi Gonras,

i'm glad you offer your help, however, since your a new member, it would be nice if you could give a bit of a background; like how old are you, are you just someone who reads about history every now and then, or do you have a lot of knowledge, a big library nearby, you have done some papers or work in the field of history, etc..

If you are able to provide interesting info, that would be precise, your help could prove very valuable.

As for the Jewish revolt i'll have to say NO. We won't have any scripted revolts (at least not those who weren't inevitable by 80 BC), and we might have Judea as a faction from day 1, so keep your fingers crossed :)

Gonras
06-27-2010, 22:45
I think the most difficult part is to display the turmoils caused by Sulla. In 82 BC, he was the dictator of Rome and, basically, strengthened the power of the optimates and sentenced a lot of people to death and then resigned in 79 BC. 8 years later many of his reforms were cancelled, some were'nt, like the quaestor being the entrance office to the senat. Displaying this will prove itself as challenging, for it had serious influence in the roman republic, and gave the optimates fraction some more time to exist and hold their powerful influence.

I think it is the best idea to use the Imperium Iulianum as the rebellious faction, and give them a good opportunity to conquer Gaul and thus gain Power, for simulating the gallic wars, for example the campaign starts when Cesar receives command about the gallic provinces and thus gains a good position for conquest (just an example, I know that we already decided not to let the campaign begin in that time)
Also, there were remnants of the seleucid empire in syria until 64 BC, Pompey conquered them in that year, but that is not my specialty. But perhaps it would be sufficient to make a bunch of rebel cities there.

At last, we should also decide when the campaign ends. If we stick to the time span of EB1, that would be 206 AC (286 years from 80 BC). Germanic society went through significant changes in that time, especially in case of the marcomannic kingdom, which could make up well for an own faction instead of swebozez or lugians (their rise to power could make an interesting campaign, I think)

anubis88
06-28-2010, 08:38
The Seleucids were no longer a power of any kind at this time... They don't deserve anything :)... After all, Antiocheia was already under the control of Tigranes the Great, so what was left of the Seleucids was under direct control of tigranes

Salvor Hardin
07-05-2010, 19:56
So...how is this progressing? As you know, I am very interested in this project.:smoking:

anubis88
07-05-2010, 20:19
So...how is this progressing? As you know, I am very interested in this project.:smoking:

Wow, 8 posts in 4 years... Nice ratio Salvor :)...

Well we are still pretty much at the start... We've made some pretty good research about new units, even made some of them, and we also debated about scripted events, the new map, the new factions, ...

All in all, we've been busy with school or vacations till July, so i hope we will be able to do something more during the summer... To have some basic results, perhaps even for a preview or 2... We still need help, that's for sure... There are only 4 of us, who actually have time atm, and we have 2 counselors of sorts right now... Hopefully some new blood will join... Perhaps even someone from the FRRE team :D :D :D

If any of you Twilight guys feel you're still very interested in the period, and wanna do something more ... We will gladly accept you among us

Rahwana
07-06-2010, 04:47
where is the development forum? GG2 didn't gave me the location... :furious3:

Salvor Hardin
07-06-2010, 08:47
Wow, 8 posts in 4 years... Nice ratio Salvor :)...

I know that I shouldn't spawn that much, but I cannot resist the temptation to increase my post account. :beam:

Well we are still pretty much at the start... We've made some pretty good research about new units, even made some of them, and we also debated about scripted events, the new map, the new factions, ...

Are you making a new map? Or just moving or adding some settlements from the EB one? I would recommend the last alternative, as otherwise you are going to have the mod development slown down.

Besides, you will find out that working with the descr_strat file is the best way to learn RTW mechanics and improve your motivation: just devote some time to changing settlements ownership and moving armies and you will see that, as the world that you invisioned takes shape, your enthusiasm increases.

If any of you Twilight guys feel you're still very interested in the period, and wanna do something more ... We will gladly accept you among us

I would love to help but, as you already know, First Man in Rome and the several Res Gestae versions are consuming all of my time. And, should I embark in another project, it would be on a different timeframe. But I have talked to Bucellarii in our developer's forum and he is willing to help you.:yes:

Twilight guys? Now I am feeling a bit "vampirish" :laugh4:

anubis88
07-06-2010, 09:19
Well we are still debating about what we should do with the map... In any case, the map will have many new and relocated settlements.

That's great that Bucellarii is willing to help... We are quite short-handed in research atm, so every help (especially such renowned) will be great. BTW i can't wait to see FMIR...

@Sonic
I sent you the location

jazstl
07-07-2010, 19:22
cool,

I will honour you till death if this mod happends...
(I m not sceptic about it...)
Unfortunately I do not have any experiance with this...

OT (anubis): Svaka čast, upam da ti uspe... Vsekakor moreste itak počaka do izida EB2-ja, do takrat lahko samo teorizirate...

OT2 (Salvor Hradin): Im your greatest fan... just i will never reach your wordless skils... Maybe you are a Spartiat?

anubis88
07-07-2010, 20:21
Hopefully everything will go smoothly... It will go much faster if more people will join to help... Actually we need a lot of historians as well, and this is basically a field that many EB fans can fulfil, since EB is practically a history book... All you need is interest and time... and time seems to be the biggest problem unfortunatly

OT Zakaj počakat EB II? sej delamo za 1ko, drgač je pa gamegeek2 član, tko da mamo nekaj "inside info-a:D"

Salvor Hardin
07-07-2010, 21:54
Finding members is always difficult, unfortunately. But you have a great platform to develop the mod. Just make it simple!

@jazstl: thanks a lot for your support! But I must confess that I am not too skilled, in the way that the RTW pioneers like Mydraal or Epistolary Richard were. I am more of a devoted pupil.:scholar:

anubis88
07-07-2010, 22:10
Finding members is always difficult, unfortunately.

You can say that again. Of course it's understandable. RTW is old, like you've said before, there were 3 new TW games that came after it, so it's tough to compete with that. Perhaps once we release a preview or 2, people will flock to our help.

But some progress has been done;
gamegeek2 has shown great enthusiasm, deep knowledge and really great dedication,
CuteWolf is valuable practically in every area he gives his eyes on, and has a much deeper knowledge on the engine than myself
Finn is making some really beautiful units (wait till you see them)
DeathFinger will probably help out more once we will reach the east of the map,
Gonras will unfortunatly take time off during the summer,
while I will try to do as much work as possible before the exams hit me in the face again...

Getting a few new researches for the factions which aren't in EB, or have changed dramatically in 200 years would be very nice to have

Gaius Sempronius Gracchus
07-07-2010, 23:25
Any particular factions you need help with? Not pretending I'm an expert or anything, but I do have a little time - and am working on something around abouts this time period (give or take 20 years), so anything I'm putting together I'm more than happy to pass on. Is it faction members and their details that you need?

anubis88
07-08-2010, 09:33
Well, as i've said, we need a bit of everything. That includes FMs. We will have to make a completly new family tree for every faction. If you have time, it would be great if you could help out. Just do it about the factions you know will be in ( of course no need for Rome, that's pretty much covered in all history books) - Armenia, Pontus, Dacia, Arverni, Aedui, Parthia ....

Any help would be a great boost at this time, so if you indeed have time, please lend us a hand ;)

07-08-2010, 11:16
Shall I just post what I have on this thread, or message someone?

anubis88
07-08-2010, 11:26
PM it to me ;)

Salvor Hardin
07-08-2010, 20:18
Well, as i've said, we need a bit of everything. That includes FMs. We will have to make a completly new family tree for every faction.

With the implicit authorisation from Bucellarii, I am going to quote some of his information from our Dev's Forum for FMIR. As you know, our project starts in 107BC, so some adaptation to your starting date will be required:

The Pontic Royal Family

Mithridates VI Eupator Dionysios

Sons

Arkathias (Satrap of Lesser Armenia, who commanded the northern Pontic army, originally operating in Macedonia and Thrace. He was also Ariarathes IX of Kappadokia, who ruled 101-87. Arkathias died during the Macedonian campaign)
Mithridates (one of the oldest sons, satrap in Bosporos – 85 to 83 or 83 to 81 - and Pontos during the first war, fighting against Fimbria. Executed by his father prior to the second war)
Makhares (sent to the Bosporos and Kolkhis as satrap in 81/80. Killed himself in 66/65, after conspiring against his father)
Pharnakes (Proclaimed king of Bosporos by a restive native population in 63, a title confirmed by Pompeius).
Artaphernes (born about start of FMIR)
Xiphares (not born at start of FMIR. Still a young man when killed by Mithridates in 65 for his mother’s betrayal – App. Mith 107)
Dareios (not born at start of FMIR. Still a child in 64 BCE: App.Mith. 108).
Xeres (not born at start of FMIR. Still a child in 64 BCE: App.Mith. 108).
Oxathres (not born at start of FMIR. Still a child in 64 BCE: App.Mith. 108).
Kyros (not born at start of FMIR: App.Mith 117)

Daughters

Kleopatra (married Tigranes II Megas Basileus of Armenia sometime around his ascension to the throne 96/95)
Mithridatis (betothed to Ptolemaios XII Auletes, or Ptolemaios ton Kyros - App.Mth. 111 is not specific - when still only girls in 81- 73. Consequently not born at the start of FMIR)
Nyssa (betothed to Ptolemaios XII Auletes, or Ptolemaios ton Kyros - App.Mth. 111 is not specific - when still only girls in 81- 73. Consequently not born at the start of FMIR)
Eupatra (not born at start of FMIR. Still a child in 64 BCE: App.Mith. 108).
Orsobaris (not born at start of FMIR: App.Mith 117. Married Lykomedes c.74 or 63, a pretender to the Bithynian throne and later high priest of Komana)

King’s concubines/wives (there were many!)

Laodike (executed for treason c109/108)
Stratonice (mother of Xiphares – see above)
Monime (a young woman of Stratonikeia in Karia when Mithridates took her as his wife c. 89/88)

Strategoi (generals) etc – Third Mithridatic War

Aristonikos (admiral of fleet)
Hermaios
Hermokrates (senior army commander with Taxiles when war opened)
Marcus Marius (Roman senator and general sent by Sertorius)
Alexandros (‘the Paphlagonian’)
Dionysios (‘the eunuch’)
Diokles (an envoy)

Armenian Royal House

Tigran II 95- 55 (Tigranes II Basileos Basileon - born 142/141)
Artavazd II 55 -35
Artashes II 30 - 20
Tigran III 20 - c. 8

Wife of Tigran II was Kleopatra (daughter of Mithridates - see above). They had three sons. Zareh (Zariadris), 'Artashes' (real name unknown) and Tigran. The first two sons were executed for treason, whilst the third rebelled in 66. Artavazd II (Artaxias II) was mothered by an unknown wife/concubine of Tigran II.

Guras (Gouras) was a brother of Tigran II and a sister was called Tigranuhi.

Generals during the war with Rome included:

Mehruzhan (Mithrobarzanes)
Mamik (Mancaeus)
Bagrat (Bagrat)

Hope this helps.:smoking:

anubis88
07-08-2010, 20:43
Hope this helps.:smoking:

What do you think? ;). Thanx mate - will copy it to our dev forum right away...

anubis88
07-14-2010, 09:38
Just to bump the thread a bit...

I just came by to say that there's already a (mini) preview in the works... Of a new faction that is... At least kinda new... Any guesses what it might be? The winner gets... hm... I dunno... Something;). A baloon? Unfortunatly we don't have a badass occultus sign :(

P.S. People on the team are not allowed to guess... Or outside assistants for that matter :D

jazstl
07-21-2010, 09:50
Some Vasci ultra armored romano-killers...

Not a guess i just hope so...

anubis88
07-21-2010, 15:27
Some Vasci ultra armored romano-killers...

Not a guess i just hope so...

Well, they are romano-killers definetly... Not ultra armoured unfortunatly ;)

Nyz
07-27-2010, 08:08
Roman rebel family maybe?

anubis88
07-27-2010, 20:17
Roman rebel family maybe?

Maybe :)
If all goes according to plan, it could be realeased next week :thumbsup:

07-27-2010, 20:23
Maybe :)
If all goes according to plan, it couldbe realeased next week :thumbsup:

Hmm... 80BC... Sertorius and his Lusotani allies?

anubis88
07-27-2010, 20:55
Indeed :)

I think you'll be delighted to see the new units that we made. Of course the Sertoriani will keep many Iberian units from EB, but the new units will make them a completely new faction to play with.

Salvor Hardin
07-28-2010, 20:08
Excellent! I am eagerly waiting to see your progress.

anubis88
07-28-2010, 20:46
Excellent! I am eagerly waiting to see your progress.

Basically almost everything is ready for the preview, apart from the preview itself, and a few minor things... Finn has given life to a new unit each day, so we have a bunch of new units to show off a bit :).

I have some family issues to attend this end of the week, but once i come back i should finish the preview in a day or 2.
Thanks for the support all :)

anubis88
08-03-2010, 00:10
Greetings Europa Barbarorum fans.

We are proud to present the first preview of our late campaing mod

Europa Barbarorum : Novus Ordo Mundi

Today we will present a new faction, which will basically be a fusion of two factions, already available in Europa Barbarorum.

We are proud to present the

Imperivm Sertoriani

The state of Quintus Sertorius

https://i25.tinypic.com/iz17nm.jpg

The Faction Symbol

For the Sertoriani faction, we have chosen to use a symbol depicting the goddess of the hunt Diana with the white doe of Sertorius. The white doe, was a gift given to Sertorius by a Roman farmer in Hispania. Seeing that the doe was white he thought this would be a nice gift to the commander. The Iberians, were amazed by the sight of a white deer, and Sertorius used this to his advantage, claiming the doe was a gift from the goddess of the hunt herself. He said the doe talks to him in his dreams and warns him of impending dangers. This belief was even further improved since Sertorius trained the doe like a puppy; she would always respond to his calls, always follow and show love for her master. The belief of her being divine was further improved when the doe got lost. This severly demoralised the Iberian followers of Sertorius. Having found her, Sertorius devised a cunning plan. He made her »magicaly« appear at a meating, in a way that it looked like she was supportive of his cause. The deer really became a divine creature to the Iberians at the time.

Who was Quintus Sertorius? A short introduction

Sertorius was born around 123 BC in Nussa, a city of the Sabines. He is first noted as campaining with the proconsul Quintus Servilius Caepio at the battle of Arausio in 105 BC. Even in his first battle, he showed incredible courage and soon became famous because of this. He then served under Gaius Marius and proved his worth time and time again. Even tough he gained positions of command, he never stopped being a soldier by heart. He was always in the thick of battle for which he also lost one of his eyes. Even tough his was no close ally of Marius, he sided with the Populares during Sulla's civil wars. After the defeat of the Populares at the hands of the Optimates, he had to flee Rome with a small army and the majority of the populares remaining, to Hispania in 83 BC.
Sulla would not be satisfied with this, and after sending an army after him and a betrayal from his own subordinates, Sertorius was forced to sail to Mauretania. There Sertorius conducted great military campaings in the country's civil war, after which his fame became even greater. Even tough he conquered Tingis, and had control over the entire country, he did not seek to assert himself as the leader of the state and returned the power to the rightfull ruler. Admired for this, Sertorius receved many gifts from the local noblemen, becoming a very rich man.
In 80 BC a Lusotanian embassy was sent to Mauretania. The Lusotanians, a proud and fighting people, resented the Roman treatment of them while they were under the SPQR and their fightng spirit was as eager as ever. All they needed was a great general, that could lead them to great things, like Viriathus did before that. They found that general in Sertorius.
Later that year Sertorius sailed again for Hispania. He had only a small army with him, comprimising of troops from Rome, Iberia and Africa, but his forces would soon expand. In the homeland of the Lusotanians he was given all the powers that he could wish for, acting as the high-king of the western tribes of Iberia. That same year, Sertorius and his quaestor Hirtuleius defeated two Roman armies, led by the governors of the two Hispanias, Ulterior and Citerior. Many tribes and cities joined the Sertoriani cause, and even tough Mettelus Pius, the consul, was sent to Hispania, he couldn't stop what Sertorius began. At the hight of the Sertoriani power, almost all of Hispania, except the far south and north, was under the control of the populares. Mighty cites like Tarraco, Valentia, Osca and Carthago Nova were siding with this never defeated general. The situation in Rome became dire. In 77 BC the young Pompey Magnus was sent to Hispania with a great army to stop the rebellion. But the same year, after the defeat of Lepidus in Italy, Marcus Perperna Vento joined Sertorius with large forces, and once again the power of the rebels increased. Pompey and Metellus were defeated many times. Sometimes in open battle, sometimes with timely ambushes. For Sertorius often used this tactic, which came so natural to the Iberian peoples, and with it he had great success. We have numerous reports of Sertorius wiping out more then a 1.000 soldiers of the enemy with well prepared ambushes, with barely any losses to his troops. The sitaution became so dire, that Pompey threatened that he would march on Rome, if he would not receive a large amount of soldiers and money to try and defeat Sertorius. It is obvious, since Lucullus agreed to give Pompey what he needed, that Pompey actually had the strenght to conquer Rome, but not the strenght to defeat Sertorius. And that's a statement that makes one think.
The capital of this new state was Osca. There Sertorius found a new senate of 300 Roman exiled senators, and also built a school, where the children of the elite of the Hispanian tribes would be edjucated in a Roman way. Osca also minted it's own coins. These were the foundations of a new state, that would exist beside the Roman one, if the Optimates would remain in power in the City.
Sertorius held his own in Hispania until 72 BC, where he was assasinated by his second in command, the before mentioned Marcus Perpenna Vento. He tried then to lead the young state on his own accord, but seeing their leader dead, the Iberians started to desert the cause that Sertorisu put in place, and Vento was utterly defeated in his first battle against Pompey. Thus Pompey became the re-conqueror of Hispania, something he couldn't do, while Sertorius was still alive, even tough he had all the resources of the Republic at his disposal.

Starting territory

http://i27.tinypic.com/2utolmx.jpg

Basic outlay of the Sertoriani starting territory

You will start with territories simmilar to what the Lusotanians had in Europa Barbarorum. Two big battles occured in 80 BC between the Sertoriani and the SPQR, and both Roman armies were defeated, so the garrison of the Roman cities will be minimal at best. You'll have to act quickly, before the consul Mettelus, sent to deal with the threat, organises his forces in order to secure yourself a strong base in the Peninsula. Try to expand as fast as you can, since this will only be possible before the Romans recruit new armies, and once you will have most of Hispania under your command, you will still have to use the resources of the country wisely. You must also exploit the best of the Romano-Hispanic armies you will have at your disposal. This will be a tough campaing, but if you prove yourself worthy of acting like Sertorius, you can conquer further and dream of glory, perhaps even asserting yourself as a dictator in Rome itself.

Exercitus Sertorianorum

As the Sertoriani, you will have the ability to field very diverse armies. You will have at your disposal the complete allegiance of the Lusotanian and Celtiberian tribes and their armies, the new Romano – Hispanic soldiers, and of course the regular Roman soldiers of the Republic. However the Roman soldiers won't be available for quite some time, except for those that will already be in your starting armies.

The troops: (note: the new descriptions are for this preview only)

Iovamann (Lusotannan Levy Skirmishers)
https://www.europabarbarorum.com/i/units/lusotannan/lus_iovamann.gif
The Iovamann are formed from some of the poorest members of Lusotannan society, those who live off their flocks of sheep and goats at the top of the mountains of Lusitania. They are armed with several "sude", which is a wooden javelin, sharpened and fire-hardened on both ends. While this would seem ineffective, it can play havoc with lightly armoured enemies. They have only a coarse wool tunic for protection, so they are among the most vulnerable soldiers to cavalry or missile counterfire. Luckily, they have a nearly inhuman ability to hide in tall grass and thick terrain, allowing them to ambush enemy columns and seemingly disappear into thin air. They are armed only with a knife for melee, so they must be guarded from any hand to hand combat.

Historically, these warbands were the lightest and among the most 'annoying' harassment troops that the Romans had to deal with. They caused many casualties before they retired back into the night or hills and attacked again the following day. When the Romans imported good light cavalry to help in their wars against the Iberian tribes, their job got a whole lot harder!

Gestikapoinann (Lusotannan Light Spearmen)
https://www.europabarbarorum.com/i/units/lusotannan/lus_gestikapoinann.gif
The Gestikapoinann are the semi-professional line infantry of the Lusotannan. They are well in life, owning farmland and cattle and taking the occasional mercenary service to pay for their equipment. They are equipped with light armour made of leather combined with a small bronze breastplate, a "galea" leather helmet and a rather large shield that gives them their name. Their armament includes a bundle of javelins and a sturdy spear. In battle they form a loose shieldwall that can stand most regular cavalry, but may be at a disadvantage against better trained assault infantry.

Historically, these men are in the same social category of the Caetranann, but chose to go to combat in a different kit. They were the Lusotannan response to the very effective Iberian cavalry that could just run over other infantry that were not equipped to handle them.

Iabarannta (Ambushers)
https://www.europabarbarorum.com/i/units/lusotannan/ele_ibe_iabarannta.gif

The Iabarannta (I-ab-ah-ran-tah; "Ambushers") are made up of the lower warrior class and the upper-freemen of the Lusotannan society. These are the men who live off their farms, herds and flocks, and complement it by raiding other tribes' territories. These activities afford them a decent battle kit for their culture which they use to further their social and economical status. They are armed with javelins and a spear, along with a buckler and a leather cap to protect them but nothing else. Being otherwise unprotected, they trust their speed and agility to stay out of the reach of heavier enemies while pelting them with their javelins. While not completely incompetent in a melee it really should be their last recourse, after all their javelins have been spent and the enemy is tired or in disarray.

Historically, these lighter troops were one of the most numerous Lusitanian types of warriors, and were a part of every army they sent into enemy territory – either for simple raiding or great invasions. The Lusitanians were masters of fast attacks, pursuits and feigned retreats, and light skirmishing troops were fundamental in executing these tactics. When properly supported these men were able to cut off retreats, harass supply lines and lower the enemy morale to the point of making the enemy winter before the campaigning season was over.

Caetranann (Lusotannan Light Infantry)
https://www.europabarbarorum.com/i/units/lusotannan/lus_caetranann.gif
The Caetranann are the Lusotana variant of the typical Caetratii found in all Iberian armies, and no less fierce than their Iberian brethren. These men are used to a constant state of warfare, having served on countless raids and attacks on neighbouring tribes, probably having even served as mercenaries at some point which afforded them their equipment. They wear light quilted linen armour, besides the tunics and thick cloaks that also give a degree of protection. They wear a tough sinew and leather helmet called a "galea" and carry a bundle of javelins to throw before the melee. Their javelins make them ideal skirmishers, and their earth toned clothing allows them to excel at ambushes. They carry a number of these javelins, and charge with their falcata and caetra when these are spent. They are just as skilled in melee as the other Caetratii, but their skirmishing ability is much more developed.

Historically, the Lusotannan Caetranann were among the most feared Lusitanian soldiers to face the Romans. Their ability to hide in tall grass and to seemingly appear out of nowhere worries and vexes their opponents, and many guerilla battles were won by these hardy men.

Scortamareva (Lusotannan Medium Spearmen)
https://www.europabarbarorum.com/i/units/lusotannan/lus_scortamavera.gif
These men are some of the most well equipped and heaviest warriors the Lusotannan can muster. They are a fierce, well drilled and well equipped force, making them a great medium infantry that will be likely to stand well against most enemy unit types. Such warriors are considered wealthy by Lusotannan standards, having acquired their gear through trade, mercenary services or sponsorship by an important chief of the somewhat rich coastal towns. They are armed with a well made Iberian steel shortsword, a bronze breastplate, greaves, a bronze montefortino helmet and well made javelins and spear.

Historically, Lusitania was a land of contrasts. In an early period the Lusitanians were a landlocked people that inhabited the hills of what is now Northeastern Portugal and parts of Spain clinging on to their last strongholds, and after facing the Celtic threat they once again descended from the highlands and reoccupied most of their lost land. In the interior lived the poor tribes of hillmen and mountaineers of definite Indo-European influence, which relied on herding as their primary economic activity, while on the coast decidedly Mediterranean-influenced cities, existed virtually autonomous and subsisted off farmland and commerce along the coast and rivers. These were the richest parts of Lusitania, where the richest artefacts are found and the place these well equipped warriors came from.

Lankeaberoi (Celtiberian light cavalry)
https://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/Jegwettnorskbaralit/iberianlucepos.gif
They constitute the bulk of the Celtiberian cavalry. Comparatively well-trained, they are invaluable to any western army. They throw javelins at a distance, depleting an enemy before charging with their main spears. They are trained to throw javelins, charge, and withdraw repeatedly, and they do it well. A helmet, shield, and their weapons may not seem the equipment of any partiuclarly great cavalry, but they are a solid medium cavalry force, capable of running down routers, defeating light cavalry, and skirmishing if necessary.

Cohors Hispanica (Hispanian Cohorts)
https://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/Jegwettnorskbaralit/CohortesHispanorumIberianlegionary.gif
...by introducing Roman arms and formations and signals he did away with their frenzied and furious displays of courage, and converted their forces into an army, instead of a huge band of robbers. Still further, he used gold and silver without stint for the decoration of their helmets and the ornamentation of their shields... (Plutarch, Life of Sertorius).
Once Sertorius was in command in Hispania, he saw the need to equip the largest possible amount of the soldiers at his disposal in the Roman fashion. After all, the Roman way of war has proven, that it is the best the world has ever seen. Sertorius re-equipped some of the soldiers that he held command over. He taught them how to fight as legionaires, operating the same way the legions of the Republic did. These are very good soldiers, ones every commander could wish to have under his command. Very versatile, they can be used on any battleground. Perhaps not at the same standard as the regular legionaires of the Republic, they do wear superb equipment, higlhy decorated shields and helmets, and will be more capable of performing ambushes then their Roman counterparts.

Celtiberian Light Spearmen
https://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/Jegwettnorskbaralit/CeltiberianMediumSpearmen.gif
These men are the basic Spearmen of the Celtiberian and Sertoriani armies. Equiped with a spear, javelins, large shield and light body armour they can provide a decent line holding unit, but they shouldn't be expected to fight against professional troops. Like all spearmen, they provide an excellent anti-cavalry weapon, but are weak against sword armed opponents.

Cohors Reformata (Post Marian Legionary Cohort)
https://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/Jegwettnorskbaralit/SertorianiCohortesReformatareformedlegionary.gif
Roman legionaries are now uniformly equipped with two pila, a gladius, and an elliptical scutum around 1.28m high. Their main armour still remains a coat of lorica hamata (chain mail) and a Montefortino-type helmet. The high quality of the legions equipment has become one of the great strengths of the Roman infantry, besides their strict discipline. In battle they will throw their pila as soon as the enemy comes in range to soften his formation and then engage at close quarters.

Pedites Devotionum (Consecrated Elite Spearmen)
https://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/Jegwettnorskbaralit/CeltiberianEliteHeavySpearmen.gif
... wherever he went he surrounded himself with a body-guard of Celtiberian spearmen instead of Romans... (Appian, the Civil wars). These man are the elite of the Celtiberians allied to Sertorius, a great unit capable of turning the tide of battle on it's own accord. Armoured with a large scutum, sword, spear and excellent quality chainmail and helmets, they are truly a contigent to watch for in the eye of battle. Like many of the Hispanian elite warriors, these men have pledged allegiance to the death to their commander, making them invaluable in great battles and extremly unlikely to rout. While they are great fighers, their number is very limited, since few Celtiberians have the wealth to equip themselves in such manner. Use them wisely, where the battle will be decided, and they will not dissapoint.

Ala Arevacorum (Arevaci Horsemen)
https://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/Jegwettnorskbaralit/EquitesDevotionum.gif
The Ala Arevacorum will probably be the best recruitable cavalry unit at your disposal. The Iberians were always known as excellent horsemen, and these elite Celtiberians are armed with a caetra shield, a long spear, a helmet and excellent quality chainmail. They can fight better then most cavalry of the Western Mediteranean. Not only will they be able to summon a powerful charge, they will hold their own in melee as well, as long as they don't try to pick a fight with spearmen. These men are an invaluable addition to any Sertorian, Roman or Celtiberian army, and can deliver the battle winning punch.

Ambakaro (Lusotannan Elite Shock infantry)
https://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/Jegwettnorskbaralit/chainmailambakaro.gif
The Ambakaro ("Arms Bearers") are men that have proved their valour and dedication to their chieftains in the heat of battle. While their background may vary, they all have in common a religious oath of fealty sealed by sacred rites. They are fanatical about keeping their honour and are granted land, cattle and arms as a reward for their services. They protect themselves with good quality chainmail. They also use their trademark bronze helmets with the "bucula" ("facemask") along with the standard steel falcata and caetra known of other Iberian warriors. They, however, fight with a degree of élan and ferocity that is not often matched by any enemy. Besides all this, they throw the "gesso" before melee, which is a long range light javelin suitable for picking enemies off at a great distance.

Historically, the Ambakaro were the elite infantry of the Lusotannan and the personal foot guard of the Lusitanian chieftains. They were bound by religious oaths of fealty and usually defended their lord to the death being praised by Julius Caesar himself. When their lord died, they would often kill each other in ritual combat as part of the funerary rites so they could accompany him to the afterlife.

Equites Devotionum (Consecrated Horsemen)
https://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/Jegwettnorskbaralit/equitesdevotio.gif
...It was the custom among the Iberians for those who were stationed about their leader to die with him if he fell, and the Barbarians in those parts call this a "consecration." Now, the other commanders had few such shield-bearers and companions, but Sertorius was attended by many thousands of men who had thus consecrated themselves to death. And we are told that when his army had been defeated at a certain city and the enemy were pressing upon them, the Iberians, careless of themselves, rescued Sertorius, and taking him on their shoulders one after another, carried him to the walls, and only when their leader was in safety, did they betake themselves to flight, each man for himself... (Plutarch, Life of Sertorius).
This is the bodyguard unit of the Sertoriani. A superbly equiped, loyal to the death cavalry unit, these men are the finest horsemen in this part of the world. They are armoured from head to toe, with even the face being under a mask, in order to cause fear in the hearts of the enemy. Along with the Elite Celtiberian Spearmen and the Ambakaro, these men were the fiercest warriors of the Sertoriani, a cause of great fear for the Roman generals sent to fight against Sertorius and his followers. There are numerous reports of Sertorius with his followers being in the thickest part of battle, with all odds against them, and still winning, or at least finding a way out. Nothing can stand in the way of this men if they are used correctly, and winning in the Sertoriani campaing may very well depend on your use of these devoted soldiers.

Disclaimer : Everything you just saw is still WIP. Expect some things to change, yet not drastically. Here are some of the great Signatures that FinnMacCumhail made so you can show your support for our mod

https://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/Jegwettnorskbaralit/Isupportsertoriani03.jpg

https://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/Jegwettnorskbaralit/Isupportsertoriani02.jpg

https://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/Jegwettnorskbaralit/Isupportsertoriani01.jpg

https://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/Jegwettnorskbaralit/Isupportsertoriani04.jpg

https://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/Jegwettnorskbaralit/userbar-1.jpg

chenkai11
08-03-2010, 00:56
Very nice preview.

Unintended BM
08-03-2010, 04:49
Great!

paullus
08-03-2010, 05:02
nice!

LDC
08-03-2010, 07:35
Well done! I wish to see more!

anubis88
08-03-2010, 09:07
Thanks guys!

Well done! I wish to see more!

Some battle screens should be released pretty soon :thumbsup:

08-03-2010, 14:42
There are some nice, useful units there... could be an interesting faction to play.... And, historically, Sertorius still saw himself - and his destiny - as Roman. During the negotiations between Mithradates of Pontos (who were allies of the Sertorians..) Sertorius was very firm about what lands Mithradates had rights to. Mithradates was said to have wondered aloud how tough a negotiator Sertorius would have been had he actually had power in Rome. A possibility for a 'Hannibal' like invasion of Italy?? A great commander as well, showed 'that boy' and 'that old woman' (Pompey and Mettelus) a lesson or two....

anubis88
08-03-2010, 15:55
Indeed Sertorius never forgot he was Roman. Nor did the tribes that followed him. They didn't want independance; they just wanted to be treated more fairly under a leader whom they could trust, not the corrupt Roman governors.

Sertorius was very firm in the negotiations with Mihritades, your definetly right about that. Even when his position was not that great, he still had the courage to demand a lot of things from Mithridates, and it was he who was dictating the terms of the Alliance. Too bad he got screwed over by Mithridates... The Pontic king was supposed to send ships and money to Sertorius in excange for Sertorius sending his officers to him. The transaction happened only in one way.

I really liked how Mithridates is supposed to tell Sertorius that they together could not be defeated : How can anyone withstand the mightiest of Kings, and the Greatest of generals? (something like that).

We will definetly try to make the Sertoriani as interesting as possible. Also, you must note that this is not the complete Sertoriani roster... Expect some more iberian units, + some Africans for the starting army.

Atraphoenix
08-03-2010, 16:32
good job mate :thumbsup:

have you decided which era you will use?

anubis88
08-03-2010, 17:00
Yep... Check your PMs :)

08-03-2010, 18:43
When you say "However the Roman soldiers won't be available for quite some time. ", I take it you will begin with pre-existing units, but will not be able to recruit any more for some time?

anubis88
08-03-2010, 18:51
When you say "However the Roman soldiers won't be available for quite some time. ", I take it you will begin with pre-existing units, but will not be able to recruit any more for some time?

Of course, i edited the post to be more clear on that. You will start with a mixed army of Romans and Africans that served with Sertorius in his campaings in Mauretania + the new Lusitanian reinforcements.
You should also expect some arrival of fresh troops from Italy, if certain conditions will be met. We have some ideas on how to implement this, and i think you will like it. However to train your own regular Roman Legionaires, not the Iberian ones, you will have to wait for quite some time, so you will have to chose wisely were to make use of the Romans, and where of the other troops.

LDC
08-03-2010, 19:11
So wait, what's the starting date? Have you decided the full faction list?
you can also use units from other mods like the Hasmonean units from the 77 BC mod.

anubis88
08-03-2010, 19:17
The date we decide on is 80 BC. The date was decided once gamegeek2 offered to help, since he's very knowledgable and experienced. Soon more people followed. I did Edit the first post a while ago to say this, perhaps i should delete the spoilers. We will also try to find a way to simulate the Roman's civil wars, which was the main reason i wanted a Principate one at the begining.

We will try to do most of the units ourselves, but we will definetly look at the FRRE mod for inspiration. I'm in touch with both Salvor Hardin and Bucellarii, and they've already been of great help.

Speaking of help... We still need a hand or 2 in every department... So if anyone is interested... Don't be shy to say so :thumbsup:

08-03-2010, 19:46
Of course, i edited the post to be more clear on that. You will start with a mixed army of Romans and Africans that served with Sertorius in his campaings in Mauretania + the new Lusitanian reinforcements.
You should also expect some arrival of fresh troops from Italy, if certain conditions will be met. We have some ideas on how to implement this, and i think you will like it. However to train your own regular Roman Legionaires, not the Iberian ones, you will have to wait for quite some time, so you will have to chose wisely were to make use of the Romans, and where of the other troops.

I thought as much...just checking :yes:

I'm already planning formations, and how to use the units best ha ha.... looking forward to it. Btw, will get back to you with info on FMs - another contributer posted details of the Pontus and Armenian FMs which just happened to be the factions I had most info on...., didn't see much point in repeating info you already had (and he had an admiral I'd not discovered :surprised:)..

Atraphoenix
08-03-2010, 20:42
The date we decide on is 80 BC.

There is a potential civil war for Parthia that was between 89 BC 76 BC.
It is possible to advance 4 more years :sweatdrop:

I think it would be better to put half of Parthia under rebels or as a different faction parthian rebels.
Please read the quote, In fact I prefer 2 faction slots for Parthia if you have this luxury.

Mithridates II. probably died about B.C. 89, after a reign which must have exceeded thirty-five years. His great successes against the Scythians in the earlier portion of his reign were to some extent counterbalanced by his losses to Tigranes in his old age; but on the whole he must be regarded as one of the more vigorous and successful of the Parthian monarchs, and as combining courage with prudence. It is to his credit that he saw the advantage of establishing friendly relations with Rome at a time when an ordinary Oriental monarch might have despised the distant Republic, and have thought it beneath his dignity to make overtures to so strange and anomalous a power. Whether he definitely foresaw the part which Rome was about to play in the East, we may doubt; but at any rate he must have had a prevision that the part would not be trifling or insignificant. Of the private character of Mithridates we have no sufficient materials to judge. If it be true that he put his envoy, Orobazus, to death on account of his having allowed Sulla to assume a position at their conference derogatory to the dignity of the Parthian State, we must pronounce him a harsh master; but the tale, which rests wholly on the weak authority of the gossip-loving Plutarch, is perhaps scarcely to be accepted.

The successor of Mithridates II. is unknown. It has been argued, indeed, that the reigns of the known monarchs of this period would not be unduly long if we regarded them as strictly consecutive, and placed no blank between the death of Mithridates II. and the accession of the next Arsaces whose name has come down to us. Sanatrodoeces, it has been said, may have been, and may, therefore, well be regarded as, the successor of Mithridates. But the words of the epitomizer of Trogus, placed at the head of this chapter, forbid the acceptance of this theory. The epitomizer would not have spoken of "many kings" as intervening between Mithridates II. and Orodes, if the number had been only three. The expression implies, at least, four or five monarchs; and thus we have no choice but to suppose that the succession of the kings is here imperfect, and that at least one or two reigns were interposed between those of the second Mithridates and of the monarch known as Sanatroeces, Sinatroces, or Sintricus.

The dark time of Parthian history is terminated by the accession—probably in B.C. 76—of the king above mentioned as known by the three names of Sanatroeces, Sinatroces, and Sintricus. The form, Sanatroeces, which appears upon the Paithian coins, is on that account to be preferred. The king so called had reached when elected the advanced age of eighty. It may be suspected that he was a son of the sixth Arsaces (Mithridates I.), and consequently a brother of Phraates II. He had, perhaps, been made prisoner by that Scythians in the course of the disastrous war waged by that monarch, and had been retained in captivity for above fifty years. At any rate, he appears to have been indebted to the Scythians in some measure for the crown which he acquired so tardily, his enjoyment of it having been secured by the help of a contingent of troops furnished to him by the Scythian tribe of the Sacauracae.

Meanwhile the aged Sanatroeces died, and was succeeded by his son, Phraates III. This prince followed at first his father's example, and abstained from mixing himself up in the Mithridatic war; but in B.C. 66, being courted by both sides, and promised the restoration of the provinces lost to Tigranes, he made alliance with Pompey, and undertook, while the latter pressed the war against Mithridates, to find occupation for the Armenian monarch in his own land. This engagement he executed with fidelity. It had happened that the eldest living son of Tigranes, a prince bearing the same name as his father, having raised a rebellion in Armenia and been defeated, had taken refuge in Parthia with Phraates. Phraates determined to take advantage of this circumstance. The young Tigranes was supported by a party among his countrymen who wished to see a youthful monarch upon the throne; and Phraates therefore considered that he would best discharge his obligations to the Romans by fomenting this family quarrel, and lending a moderate support to the younger Tigranes against his father. He marched an army into Armenia in the interest of the young prince, overran the open country, and advanced on Artaxata, the capital. Tigranes, the king, fled at his approach, and betook himself to the neighboring mountains. Artaxata was invested; but as the siege promised to be long, the Parthian monarch after a time withdrew, leaving the pretender with as many troops as he thought necessary to press the siege to a successful issue. The result, however, disappointed his expectations. Scarcely was Phraates gone, when the old king fell upon his son, defeated him, and drove him beyond his borders. He was forced, however, soon afterwards, to submit to Pompey, who, while the civil war was raging in Armenia, had defeated Mithridates and driven him to take refuge in the Tauric Chersonese.

Keep on good work. :balloon2:

anubis88
08-03-2010, 20:53
We want Sulla alive :). Parthia will be tricky, there's no doubt about it... Just post what you think on the Dev forum... We will pick it up there :2thumbsup:

@Gaius Sempronius Gracchus - Haha... That's good to hear that we have too much FM info haha
You just post when you find something... It will be greatly appreciated

Salvor Hardin
08-05-2010, 19:04
How have I missed this amazing preview? I love it! The unit selection is excellent. And so is the text.

Keep up the good work.:cool:

anubis88
08-05-2010, 19:15
How have I missed this amazing preview? I love it! The unit selection is excellent. And so is the text.

Keep up the good work.:cool:

You are far too kind you 14 posts sir;) I made the text in an hour or so, the in-game one should be much better. We will do them in the EB way, so once you'll read it you won't be able to resist starting playing a campaing and crush everyone in your path! hahahahaha :cool:

It means a lot to me that you guys like what you see. It's a sign we're heading in the right direction :thumbsup:

Reno Melitensis
08-10-2010, 21:26
Looking good. Thanks for the link anubis88, it was a good preview, and I guess those are new units for the mod.

Cheers.

anubis88
08-12-2010, 14:34
Looking good. Thanks for the link anubis88, it was a good preview, and I guess those are new units for the mod.

Thanks for the kind words.

Some of those units are new, while some are already in EB. The specific Sertoriani units are new of course, while most of the Lusotannan ones retain their relevance. We plan on giving new units to every faction. Of course some factions will need more then others -
For example;
- Our new faction will get a completly new roster, complemented by some regionals that are alredy in EB.
- Some of the old factions, like the Ptolemaic Empire, will get a completly new look; the Ptolemies for ones, have completly changed their armies from those of 272 BC. The Macedonian ways were almost dropped, and they started using different approaches to war.
- On the other hand, some faction like the Aedui and Sarmatians (if included) would get very small changes to their roster - their armies fit very well in our time-frame.

LDC
08-13-2010, 20:27
Hey I made two Numidian units that you might want to include in your mod: Numidian heavy infantry (imitation legions) and Gaetuli infantry.
DL here: http://www.multiupload.com/IVCE7R910U
I hope that's helps.

Atraphoenix
08-14-2010, 08:01
I think it will be a better idea to use Alex for we will need more models that alexie give us.

Cute Wolf
08-14-2010, 08:38
I think it will be a better idea to use Alex for we will need more models that alexie give us.

Immortal FM, AI faction too defensive, no shield wall, no swimming, silly archer charging bug... more tendency towards elite spam... :wink:

Atraphoenix
08-14-2010, 08:53
Immortal FM (done), AI faction too defensive (not with my mods :-), no shield wall(hardcoded), no swimming(I do not not swimming either), silly archer charging bug...(you mean HAs) more tendency towards elite spam... :wink:
For elites just make campaigns to finish elite barracks, war is merciless so am I at war....

Cute Wolf
08-14-2010, 09:27
For elites just make campaigns to finish elite barracks, war is merciless so am I at war....

I've played with Alex EB for some pretty long time, before switching for BI to initially got the hording faction, but after that, I notice that EB-BI is far more stable and better than Alex-EB.... well I allready knew about how to manually fixing them and gave Alex EB descr_strat different AI personality to alter that, as making factions more hostile to each others (that helps a lot), the problem is, the original Alex-EB installer is ... *runs before maximus come in with gladius in his hand*

anubis88
08-15-2010, 00:01
Hey I made two Numidian units that you might want to include in your mod: Numidian heavy infantry (imitation legions) and Gaetuli infantry.
I hope that's helps.

I'll take a look at them as soon as i'm on my home computer. If they are part of our plan, we will definetly use them.

Thanks!

Finn MacCumhail
08-15-2010, 11:55
I hope that's helps.

LDC, I had some bug with opening it. Could be able to post a render of your models? thanks.

LDC
08-15-2010, 14:13
LDC, I had some bug with opening it. Could be able to post a render of your models? thanks.

Try this: http://www.filefront.com/17203293/Numidians.7z

Use 7zip to open the file

Finn MacCumhail
08-15-2010, 15:10
LDC, would you like to join us as a modeler and skinner? PM Anubis88 or gamegeek2 for the details

anubis88
08-15-2010, 19:54
Indeed we are in dire need of skinners... You could also get plenty of new units after the release for a possible 3.0 Historical battles :clown:

LDC
08-16-2010, 01:05
Truth be told, I'm only a beginner, as in I can only modify existing models and skins, I can't create a completely new ones .
I can work for you, but you'll have to know there is a limit to what I can do.
If you need to modify units form EB, then I think I can help.

Also I'll be glad to create even more HB when the mod will be released.

anubis88
08-16-2010, 13:42
Truth be told, I'm only a beginner, as in I can only modify existing models and skins, I can't create a completely new ones .
I can work for you, but you'll have to know there is a limit to what I can do.
If you need to modify units form EB, then I think I can help.

Also I'll be glad to create even more HB when the mod will be released.

As i'm not a skinner, i can't be certain of this, but i think plenty of our new units have basis on EB units, so i think you could be of great help to us. I'll tell Finn to contact you via PM, since he knows this things best.

He will also be able to tell you how much work is done on preexisting skins and models.

Cheers

LDC
08-16-2010, 18:27
As i'm not a skinner, i can't be certain of this, but i think plenty of our new units have basis on EB units, so i think you could be of great help to us. I'll tell Finn to contact you via PM, since he knows this things best.

He will also be able to tell you how much work is done on preexisting skins and models.

Cheers

I'll be delighted to help you in any way I can:balloon2:

anubis88
08-16-2010, 19:12
I'll be delighted to help you in any way I can:balloon2:

Great to have you in! It seems our numbers are growing fast as we speak, which is a very good thing.

Welcome aboard!

anubis88
08-18-2010, 10:31
A preview of things (a preview?) to come... Any guess who these guys are?:dizzy2::laugh4:
https://a.imageshack.us/img844/8958/rometwalx20100817224753.png

08-18-2010, 13:44
Hasmonean cavalry? Or Nabatean cavalry...? I'd go more for the Hasmonean, because of their 'Hellenistic' look (the Nabateans having been influenced by the Parthians).. They look a little too armoured to be Numidian, but... what do I know?

MButcher
08-18-2010, 16:12
They're wearing pants, so I would say definitely Eastern. From the helms I would say Assyrian maybe? Or Babylonian.

anubis88
08-18-2010, 16:37
Well many Celtic peoples wore pants as well :clown:

One of you 2 is pretty close...

08-18-2010, 19:21
Hmmm...how could I miss that they are wearing pants? I'm going to plump for Nabatean cavalry then, or Mauretanian/Numidian?

Morte66
08-18-2010, 21:19
This looks like it could be a fun mod. I await it eagerly.

Hmm, I think Pontus (my favourite EB faction pre 1.2) was about 6 EB provinces around the eastern Black Sea in 89BC. Had the Romans taken any chunks out of Pontus by 80BC, when this mod starts?

anubis88
08-18-2010, 21:35
This looks like it could be a fun mod. I await it eagerly.

Hmm, I think Pontus (my favourite EB faction pre 1.2) was about 6 EB provinces around the eastern Black Sea in 89BC. Had the Romans taken any chunks out of Pontus by 80BC, when this mod starts?

I'm not 100%, but after Sulla defeated Mithridates, the Pontic King had to return all the lands he had conquered once he started the war with Rome, but not the ones he gained before that, meaning Pontus will still have control of, like you said, around 6 provinces as the game begins. He would have, on the standard EB map at least the cities of Sinope, Amaseia, Trapezous, Kotais, Chersonesos, Pantipakaion and Olbia, which would be 7 cities on the EB map.

We are working on Pontus as we speak, so a preview could come relatively soon, altough one preview will come out sooner.

To elaborate a bit on Pontus, since you seem to like them; :clown:

Pontus was still very strong at this point in history. While Mithridates lost the first Mithridatic war, he easily won the second one, which regained much of the confidence of this kingdom, that has proven with this victory it's not ready to be defeated so easily. The Pontics will have access to many troops from around the black sea, and they should have one of the most unique and versatile roster of all the factions, and should be very interesting to play as.

Pontos also had as strong alliance with the powerfull king Tigranes the Great, and also made an alliance with the Roman rebel Quintus Sertorius a few years later, even planning how the lands should be divided after the two attack the Romans together.

I believe that Pontos will provide a great gameplaying experience.

Thanks for the kind words :2thumbsup:

@Gracchus

You are still close... :clown:

Nyz
08-18-2010, 21:38
A preview of things (a preview?) to come... Any guess who these guys are?:dizzy2::laugh4:
https://a.imageshack.us/img844/8958/rometwalx20100817224753.png

Gldgmtk.

08-18-2010, 21:51
Osroene cavalry?

anubis88
08-18-2010, 21:54
Gldgmtk.

You have suspicusly accurate answers... These guys are indeed Late Numidian Nobles; expect to see more soon :)

@Gracchus
You've mentioned that they are too armoured to be Numidians, however the Numidians became more and more "romanised", and started using heavier armour, with them being so close to Rome.

Iain.
08-18-2010, 22:02
o
You've mentioned that they are too armoured to be Numidians, however the Numidians became more and more "romanised", and started using heavier armour, with them being so close to Rome.

Aren't the helmets Assyrian helmets though? How did that come about? Or is it just a helmet that kind of looks like an Assyrian helm?

08-18-2010, 22:04
You have suspicusly accurate answers... These guys are indeed Late Numidian Nobles; expect to see more soon :)

@Gracchus

Nice!
And, yes, I was thinking too much in terms of EB period Numidians... doh!

Look forward to the preview....and to the mod. Its looking really, really good. Brilliant work, from what I've seen so far :2thumbsup:

Nyz
08-18-2010, 22:07

Gldgmtk is not too accurate though.... the more accurate one is "Late Gldgmtk" hahaha. Just kidding.

anubis88
08-18-2010, 22:19
Aren't the helmets Assyrian helmets though? How did that come about? Or is it just a helmet that kind of looks like an Assyrian helm?

It just looks like the Assyrian helmet, but it's the traditional "pointy" Numidian helmet. Not every guy would wear such a helmet, but since this isn't MTW, one had to be chosen, and we think this one looks best :) It may even get a feather sticking out of it in the future :clown:

Oh... And thanks for the kind words guys... We are doing our best, and have some great guys on board, so hopefully we will be able to create a mod worthy of EB's name.

Atraphoenix
08-18-2010, 22:26
Pontus needs Catas the only. Blitz romanoi and change the tide of history kill caesar :-)

Morte66
08-18-2010, 22:33
Well I'll look forward to Pontus kicking the Romans back to Europe and liberating Asia Minor, then.

LDC
08-24-2010, 07:08
Things are good right now with the mod.. Expect something in the near future.

Atraphoenix
08-24-2010, 13:18
Things are good right now with the mod.. Expect something in the near future.

Look forward to see it :-)

anubis88
08-24-2010, 16:36
1 preview is almost ready, while 2 should be up shortly as well, since we are making nice progress on some factions...

Ca Putt
08-25-2010, 22:16
great work!

but please don't make it for Alex.exe, they don't sell that around these parts :D

anubis88
08-25-2010, 23:16
great work!

but please don't make it for Alex.exe, they don't sell that around these parts :D

It will be for the BI.exe; don't worry :)

Lionheart
08-26-2010, 12:48
The preview is coming. In a short time after a few problems have been solved.

Finn MacCumhail
08-26-2010, 13:31
Welcome to the org, Lionheart!

Arjos
08-26-2010, 19:06
Sorry if this has been said, but what is the end date for the mod?

anubis88
08-26-2010, 19:15
Sorry if this has been said, but what is the end date for the mod?

We are planning on 180 AD, the end of the adoptive Emperors...

Lionheart
08-26-2010, 19:19
Tank's for the welcoming. Soon a new preview will appear. It's a promise. He are working hard to get that done.

gamegeek2
08-27-2010, 00:27
https://a.imageshack.us/img441/9679/rometwalx20100826235839.png

What is it? Who are they? Their owners?

Nyz
08-27-2010, 01:15
The shield pattern look like Serapis, the Hellenistic-Egyptian God. Ptolemaioi?

MButcher
08-27-2010, 04:13
intifadanyz hit it right on the dot. I agree completely, once I saw Serapis alarms went off in my head. I would say that they're the new Ptolemaic Agema Hippeon, or Xystonphoroi.

Either way, they look spectacular!

gamegeek2
08-27-2010, 05:47
Wow, you guys are smart. EB does teach you well :)

Nyz
08-27-2010, 08:39
Wow, you guys are smart. EB does teach you well :)

Make a preview already as the reward. Or we have to guess about what kind of preview that you all want to show us?

anubis88
08-27-2010, 12:02
Don't worry, the preview is all but made... I think we just need 2 unit cards or so, and the preview will be posted :)

And then the work on the next preview will start...

and the next preview....

and the next .... :clown:

Reno Melitensis
08-27-2010, 15:27
You are doing a good work guys. One question, sorry if it has been asked before, as the mod is going to end in 180 AD, and that's a long time, are there any plans for emergent factions due to the adoption of the BI exe.

Cheers.

Lionheart
08-27-2010, 16:06
After hard work do by myself and specially Finn and LDC (the masters of the cards and so on) one preview appears to be ready. I only need permission of Anubis and gg2 and perhaps soon the preview will be posted. I believe that you will not be disappointed.

Lionheart
08-27-2010, 17:45
So the signature is already visible?

Lionheart
08-27-2010, 18:57
Greetings Europa Barbarorum fans.
We are proud to present the second preview of our new late campaing mod
Europa Barbarorum : Novus Ordo Mundi
Today we will present a new faction: the Kingdom of Numidia/Mamla'ha biMassylim.

We are proud to present the Kingdom of Numidia/Mamla'ha biMassylim.

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/numidi17.jpg

The faction symbol

The well know horse and with a blue back.

Why the horse?

Numidian cavalry was a type of light cavalry developed by the Numidians, most notably used by Hannibal during the Second Punic War. They were described by the Roman historian Livy as "by far the best horsemen in Africa."
The Numidian cavalry's horses, ancestors of the Arabian horse, were smaller than those of the contemporary Roman cavalry and were well adapted for faster movement.To conserve weight, the cavalrymen did not use a saddle or bridle, did not wear armor, and carried smaller shields. Their weaponry consisted mainly of spears and javelins, in addition to a short sword.
Due to their expert horsemanship and agility, they were most suitable for charging and then dispersing, an effective tactic for harassing the enemy and breaking up their formations.
Numidian cavalry were widely known and not only fought in the Carthaginian army, but in other armies of the time as mercenaries.Even the Roman army will employ Numidian light cavalry in separate units (equites Numidarum or Maurorum).

Historical Background

Numidia (202 BC – 46 BC) was an ancient Berber kingdom in present-day Algeria and part of Tunisia (North Africa) that later alternated between being a Roman province and being a Roman client state.
It was located on the eastern border of modern Algeria, bordered by the Roman province of Mauretania (in modern day Algeria and Morocco) to the west, the Roman province of Africa (modern day Tunisia) to the east, the Mediterranean Sea to the north, and the Sahara Desert to the south. Its people were the Numidians.
The name Numidia was first applied by Polybius and other historians during the third century BC to indicate the territory west of Carthage, including the entire north of Algeria as far as the river Mulucha (Muluya), about 100 miles west of Oran. The Numidians were conceived of as two great tribal groups: the Massylii in eastern Numidia, and the Masaesyli in the west.
They take a great part during the second Punic War: somethimes they supported Carthage and other times they supported Rome.
After the end of the war king Masinissa become the first king of Numidia having full authority over the two groups that until that time existed was separated kingdoms. When the king died in 148 B.C. the Numidian kingdom extended from Mauretania to the boundary of the Carthaginian territory, and also southeast as far as Cyrenaica, so that Numidia entirely surrounded Carthage (this is refered in Appian work). One of the causes for the third Punic War was the constant expansion of Numidia. When Carthage try to fight back they broke the peace treaty that have with Rome so the words of Cato "Delenda Carthago Est" become a reality.
After the death of Micipsa, son and heir of Masinissa, in 118 B.C. the kingdom was divided between: Hiempsal I and Adherbal, sons of the king and Masinissa's illegitimate grandson Jugurtha. Jugurtha ordered the murderer of Hiempsal and war erupted between him and Adherbal.
After Jugurtha defeated him in open battle, Adherbal fled to Rome for help. The Roman officials, allegedly due to bribes but perhaps more likely because of a desire to quickly end conflict in a profitable client kingdom, settled the fight by dividing Numidia into two parts. Jugurtha was assigned the western half.
By 112 Jugurtha resumed his war with Adherbal. He incurred the wrath of Rome in the process by killing some Roman businessmen who were aiding Adherbal. After a brief war with Rome, Jugurtha surrendered and received a highly favourable peace treaty, which raised suspicions of bribery once more.
War broke out between Numidia and the Roman Republic and several legions were dispatched to North Africa under the command of the Consul Quintus Caecilius Metellus Numidicus. The war dragged out into a long and seemingly endless campaign as the Romans tried to defeat Jugurtha decisively. Frustrated at the apparent lack of action, Metellus' lieutenant Gaius Marius returned to Rome to seek election as Consul. Marius was elected, and then returned to Numidia to take control of the war. He sent his Quaestor Lucius Cornelius Sulla to neighbouring Mauretania in order to eliminate their support for Jugurtha. With the help of Bocchus I of Mauretania, Sulla captured Jugurtha and brought the war to a conclusive end. Jugurtha was brought to Rome in chains and was placed in the Tullianum.
Jugurtha was executed by the Romans in 104 BC, after being paraded through the streets in Gaius Marius' Triumph.
After the death of Jugurtha, western Numidia was added to the lands of Bocchus, king of Mauretania, while the remainder (excluding Cyrene and its locality) continued to be governed by native princes until the civil war between Caesar and Pompey. Gauda, was the sucessor of Jugurtha and was a loyal vassal of the roman senate. After is death is son Hiempsal II took the throne. This ruler supported Sulla and kept is throne.
In the civil war between Pompey and Caesar king Juba I, son of king Hiempsal II, supported Pompey and the Republicans against Caesar and in the end died at the hands of Petreius after a honorable fight between them. Petreius committed suicide after that.
After Cato the Younger was defeated by Caesar, he committed suicide (46 BC) in Utica, and Numidia became briefly the province of Africa Nova until Augustus restored Juba II (son of Juba I) after the Battle of Actium.
Soon afterwards, in 25 BC, Juba was transferred to the throne of Mauretania, and Numidia was divided between Mauretania and the province of Africa Nova.

Starting territory :

You will start with territories between the Roman Province of Africa and the regions of Mauretania.You should not forget that you are a client ruler apointed by the Senate of Roma.You should be sharp, you will need to rule wisely because your people do not forget that you gained your throne like your father by the hand of strangers. Some still dream like Jugurtha. They dream with a strong country and a land free from the domain of the Romans. Try to expand as fast as you can and once you will have most of North Africa under your command, you will be able to muster a good army that could defend your new empire. You must also develop the best of the African armies to strenghten the faith of your people.This will be a tough campaing, but if you prove yourself worthy you could gain the heart of your people, you can conquer further lands and dream of glory in the battlefields. Finaly in the end you could equal the achievements of the great Masinissa and perhaps fulfill the dream of Jugurtha.

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/numidi12.png

Lionheart
08-27-2010, 19:12
The Army of the king

- Numidian Skirmishers

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/rebel_10.gif

Numidian javelinmen are fast moving skirmishers trained from infancy in the use of the javelin for hunting. They are recruited from amongst nomadic peoples who need their weapon skills to survive in harsh conditions.
They are best employed to harry enemies and thin their ranks with volleys of missiles. They should avoid being sucked into hand-to-hand combat, as their knives are more useful in skinning animals than killing men; also, other than a small shield they have no armour.

- Qala'im Numidim (Numidian Slingers)

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/ele_nu10.gif

Numidian slingers came from the shepherd nomads who used their slings to protect their herds from predators. They're quite skilled with their slings, which truly is a deceptively simple weapon. One end of the sling is looped around his wrist while the other is released when the stone is launched. A sling bullet would not be seen in flight and was capable of shattering a shield or penetrating unarmored flesh to a range of about 100 metres when slung by a skilled man.
Numidian slingers are best used as light skirmishers. With no armor and very simple melee weapons, they rush forward toward the enemy to pepper them with stones, only to flee when threatened.
Historically, slingers seem to have been used in almost all corners of the world in some form and North Africa was no exception. Hand slings are very easy and cheap to make, and yet they are a respectable weapon. They generally consisted of a single long strip of leather or woven wool, with a central "pocket" for the stone. The longer the sling, the greater its range.

- Numidian Cavalry

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/rebel_11.gif

Numidia produces some of the finest cavalry in all Africa, if not the Western Mediterranean world. Armed with javelins, these mounted skirmishers can be a nightmare for an opponent as it can prove practically impossible to pin them down in combat. Their tactics are to pelt the enemy with deadly volleys of javelins, and then swiftly retreat when charged. If the enemy stand, they are slaughtered with volleys of javelins, and if they run the Numidian cavalry can ride them down!
Instinctive riders, the Numidians are famed for not using a saddle or reins, using only a stick to direct their horses. Nevertheless, they maneuver with the "grace of a flock of birds". Having adapted to the broken expanses of their homelands, Numidian cavalry have great stamina, and they are also experts in their form of the Cantabrian circle attack.

- Kasatim Numidim (Numidian Archers)

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/rebel_12.gif

Ever since the dawn of our people, we have fought from a distance. With sling and javelin we conquered the sands, only the cowardly settled people behind their walls resisting our might. When the Phoenicians came, they conspired with our settled cousins and drove us into our desert homeland. To our shame, the newcomers had a weapon that could outperform our traditional arms. But we adapted, we adopted, and we gained prominence again. With their composite bows in our hands, we became the most feared and sought after archers in the Western Mediterranean. We wear none of the coward's armor, for it slows us in battle. Our stout Canaanite bows deliver death from afar, sending heavy arrows tearing through the ranks of the armored enemy. With a hat-helm protecting us from the harshness of the sun, we can deliver volley after volley of indirect fire. When the enemy is routed, we descend upon him like ravenous hyenas, and bash their heads in with our cudgels. If attacked up close, we can give a good enough account of ourselves, as our weapons will tackle all but the most heavily armored infantry, but we believe this is a waste of good archers. Use us wisely, general, and remember that we can win battles for you if employed properly.
Historically, the Numidian peoples lacked all but the simple bow until the arrival of Phoenicians at the end of the Bronze Age. Though it took some time, Numidians began to take up the bow with tremendous vigor. Soon, Carthage itself was replacing Phoenician archers with Numidian, and sending the former to become Marines in her great navy. Numidian archers were battle winners for the Romans as well, giving extremely good accounts of themselves under Caesar and against the Celts and Germans who resisted the onslaught of Rome.

- Gldgmtk (Numidian Nobles)

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/gldgmt10.jpg

The Numidian Nobles are the high ranking class of Numidia. Trained in the hit and run tactics of their lower caste comrades they also wield heavier equipment and armour. These heavier cavalry are capable bodyguards and can be effective on the charge but they are not on the same class as the heavy cavalry of other lands. Their greatest use lies in their speed, maneuverability, and accuracy with their javelins.
Historically, in Numidia there was a class of nobles that ruled under the chiefs and kings and later under the sole king of Numidia. These nobles existed in both parts of Numidia, Numidia as it is known today which was dominated by the Massylians, and further north west where the area was dominated by the Masaesylian Numidians. These nobles often acted as the bodyguards and royal soldiers of the king, particularly under the reign of Jugurtha. In Sallust’s account of the Jugurthine war he mentions that in a route, only the Royal Cavalry could be counted upon to remain at the King’s side and not disperse into the countryside. The term GLDGMTK used here is from the Libyan dialect spoken by the Numidians and comes from several noble titles on inscriptions from the town of Thugga. The title translates loosely as 'Prefect of Fifty'. The other common title in Thugga was 'Chief of One Hundred'. The Numidian kings later chose to use Spanish and Gaulish mercenaries as their bodyguards instead of relying on the noble class.

- War Elephants (two diferent types with tower and without)

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/forest11.jpg
http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/bush_e11.jpg

In the work of Sallust appear several references to the use of combat elephants by the Numidian king in is combat agains the Romans. The same goes for Caesar: "He [Juba] himself followed on more slowly with the rest of his forces and sixty elephants." -- Caesar, The Civil War (describing Curio's annihilation by Juba's Numidians). Elephants were not used until the second century BC.The elephants are the African forest elephant species which were smaller than Indian Elephants used in the East and stood 7-8 feet (2.15m - 2.45m) tall at the shoulder.
Imported from the regions far south of Aigyptos or from the mountain forests of northwestern Africa, forest elephants are an exceptionally valuable resource in combat.
Owering over most other creatures, they can easily scare men and horses alike, with both their size and smell, though elaborate bells and trappings often add to their intimidation. Such corps are directed by their own mahouts riding behind their heads, often a native of their own country who has spent at least two years training his beast from capture. The mahout is armored to better protect against the obvious assault that generally comes against him, launched to bypass the thick natural armor of his mount.
Elephants are best used as cavalry screens for your army, where their presence can scare away enemy cavalry. They can also be used to ram through an enemy battle line, though they are less useful when faced with loose order or phalanx infantry. Pyrrhos of Epeiros even innovated a tactic of flank screens when he fought the Romans at Heraklea. Beyond their obvious use against enemy infantry or cavalry, they can also be used in siege combat; battering down gates, though they're highly vulnerable to better prepared installations. Their greatest vulnerability is against skirmishers, slingers and archers, who can pepper them with missiles - eventually toppling them by virtue of their cumulative impact. To counter the effect of enemy skirmishers, it is often wise to array your own in opposition, or to maintain constant attacks upon each individual group.
Despite their great usefulness when properly employed, it was not unusual for elephants to cause defeat for those who employed them. If an enemy was clever enough to devise their own means to combat elephants, as was the case at the battle of Gaza when Ptolemaios planted an ‘iron spiked minefield’ to ward off elephants, or when Caesar properly utilized slingers and Scipio gaps between his infantry cohorts to channel the elephants, they could be defeated and even turned against their masters. Even pigs were used on occasion, released among elephants who were often scared of their comparatively small, darting forms. However, despite the many different weapons and stratagems being devised to fight them and the huge expenses required to maintain them, the elephant was still considered a valuable asset, maintained widely.

- Dorkim Garamantim (Garamantine Infantry)

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/rebel_13.gif

The Garamantine warriors are masters of hit and run tactics. Striking in raids from their oasis strongholds they attack towns, outposts, watchtowers, and nomadic tribes. They fight first with throwing spears and javelins but can close or hold when necessary with their spears and leather shields. They wear ostrich feathers tied to their heads to make them appear more fearsome and impressive and wear a cow skin cloak for protection both on the battlefield and against the natural environment.
The Garamantines were a group of Berber tribes living in North central Africa on the fringe of the Sahara desert that herded cattle and irrigated farmland. They conducted raids against towns to the North and against the nomadic Saharan people known to the Greeks as the Troglodytai. The Garamantines reached dominance in the second and third century AD and are often referred to as one of the first great Berber nations. They fought on foot, from horseback and from chariots. Much of the evidence for their equipment comes from their own rock art and Egyptian paintings of Libyan soldiers. Herodotos refers to the Garamantes as a fierce and aggressive tribe that would hunt down the Troglodytai but also says that they are a people who know little of war. Herodotos made the Garamantines famous for his fanciful tale of the cattle they raised which supposedly had horns so long they had to graze backwards.

- Dorkim Maurim (Maure Infantry)

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/ele_ma10.gif

Maure infantry are fast moving skirmishing troops used by the Carthaginians and Berber chieftains. They are recruited from the most Western provinces of North Africa. A land known by their warriors and their unique fighting style. They are armed with javelins and a sword of North African origin, similar to the Takouba used these days by the Tuareg people. The Maures are protected by a shield made of elephant hide and by a tunic made of animal fur that they use like it was a breastplate.
They should avoid being sucked into hand-to-hand combat, as they do better in the job of harassing the enemy with their javelins. Their tactics are to pelt the enemy with deadly volleys of javelins, and then swiftly retreat when charged.
Historically, Maures were very similar to their Numidian neighbors. Greek and Roman historians say they were darker than other North African tribes, to the point to be called “Western Ethiopians”. They were also great warriors and were one of the troops mentioned by Hannibal in his inscription left in Italy.

- Somrei HaMele'h (Gallo-Iberic Bodyguards)

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/africa10.jpg

These men are the best of the best. Recruted between mercenaries and others that desire to serve the king."When Juba was informed by Saburra of the battle during the night he sent him as reinforcements two thousand Spanish and Gallic cavalry, whom he was accustomed to keep by him as a personal bodyguard together with the most reliable part of the infantry" -- Caesar, The Civil War (describing Curio's annihilation by Juba's Numidians).
Their mission is only one...to give their life for him. They also protect the other members of the royal family or their most important generals. They are a elite unit with a fierce attack and high degree of stamina. They fight until the last men to protect. Surrender or flee the field or fail their mission in anyway does not exist for them. They are the best and the most trustworthy troops that a Numidian king could have.They are well armed and are rather fast in the batlefields. Also they will possess a great amount of stamina and like is countrymen they have a powerful charge doubled by the fact that they are on horseback.
Since between them are Gauls and Iberians they are rather fierce in combat.

- Dorkim Numidim (heavy)

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/numidi13.jpg

This units is the famous imitation legionaries type.
In the case of Numidia their imitation legionaries were the result of long contact with Rome.
In 213 B.C. the romans send military advisers to Syphax with the mission to help in the training of is soldiers.
Later Masinissa become a ally of Rome and received also advisers that help him train is troops.
Also during the time of Jugurtha and in the War in Sallust appear several references to roman desertors and probably they trained the troops of Jugurtha in the roman way of warfare.
Much is unknown about them, but we do know that in some cases these troops were trained by Rome directly and in others it was a close attempt to copy them. The best known example is that of Tacfarinas, who used his imitation legionaries to wage a rebellion against the Emperor Tiberius in AD 17-AD 24.
In conclusion the imitation legionaries are an interesting example of both the Roman state’s arrogance in believing that everyone wanted to copy it and its army and the Roman people’s own ability to be able to successfully catch the changing tide of war. Both Rome and the Hellenistic states saw the decline of the Makedonian system, but only Rome fully grasped it and destroyed the heirs of Alexander.
Note: only available in Cirta and Hippo Regius

- Dorkim Gaetulim

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/dorkim15.jpg

The Gaetuli was the Romanised name of a Berber tribal group inhabiting present-day southern Algeria.
The Gaetuli appear to be a confederation of certain tribes, towns or areas that united under a common goal.
These troops are very familiar with the desert and are very resistent.
At the time of the Jugurthine war they occupy the area south of Cirta and probably the Aurès Mountains.
We first hear of this people in the Jugurthine War (111-106 B.C.), when, as Sallust tells us, they did not even know the name of Rome. They took part with Jugurtha against Rome; but when we next hear of them they are in alliance with Caesar against Juba I (Bell. Afr. 32).
The Gaetuli enter in the conflict of the Jugurthine war after the defeat of Jugurtha at Thala. Thus he fled to one of the Gaetuli Tribes to raise new troops and teaching them to fight in a orderly fashion (Bellum Jugurtha 80,2). This unit is inspired in that moment.
However from the sources the Gaetulian soldiers appear to be loyal only to Jugurtha. Gaetulian soldiers fought agains Sulla on the side of Marius in 87 B.C. In 82 B.C. Iarbas the rival of Hiempsal II appears to be a Gaetulian. In the civil war they supported Caesar agains Scipio and Juba. So this unit could be only recruted in the lands of Gaetulia and Cirta. However they will have a great chance of become Eleutheroi or enter in rebellion against the Numidian ruler. So if you intend to use this warriors you better have a excellent general or you could found that you are simply wasting your precious denarii...
Note: only available in the towns of Cirta and Tuat

- Maurae Cavalry (Mauretanian Cavalry)

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/mauri_10.jpg

Maure cavalry are fast moving troops used by the Numidian and Berber chieftains. They are recruited from the most Western provinces of North Africa. A land known by their warriors and their unique fighting style. They are armed with javelins and a sword of North African origin, similar to the Takouba used these days by the Tuareg people. The Maures are protected by a shield made of elephant hide and by a tunic made of animal fur that they use like it was a breastplate.
They should avoid being sucked into hand-to-hand combat, as they do better in the job of harassing the enemy with their javelins. Their tactics are to pelt the enemy with deadly volleys of javelins, and then swiftly retreat when charged.
Historically, Maures were very similar to their Numidian neighbors. Greek and Roman historians say they were darker than other North African tribes, to the point to be called “Western Ethiopians”. They were also great warriors and were one of the troops mentioned by Hannibal in his inscription left in Italy.They were also the prefered auxiliary cavalry of the emperor Tiberius.

-Gaetuli Cavalry

http://i29.servimg.com/u/f29/15/49/53/87/gaetul10.jpg

The Gaetuli was the Romanised name of a Berber tribal group inhabiting present-day southern Algeria.
The Gaetuli appear to be a confederation of certain tribes, towns or areas that united under a common goal.
These troops are very familiar with the desert and are very resistent.
At the time of the Jugurthine war they occupy the area south of Cirta and probably the Aurès Mountains.
We first hear of this people in the Jugurthine War (111-106 B.C.), when, as Sallust tells us, they did not even know the name of Rome. They took part with Jugurtha against Rome; but when we next hear of them they are in alliance with Caesar against Juba I (Bell. Afr. 32). This is the Gaetuli cavalry unit. These warriors possess great resistence and are very skilled in desert warfare.
Credits

Research leader: Lionheart
Unit creator: LDC
Card creator: Finn
Others: I would like to say thank's to all members in EB: Novus Ordo Mundi for their advises and help.
Also i would like to say thank's to the EB team that make this great mod.

Special Thanks
To the creators in charge of RTR for providing the inspiration to our units.
And a special thanks to Caius Britannicus, Publius, and LACa

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/isuppo11.jpg
http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/userba10.jpg

anubis88
08-27-2010, 19:33
You should try posting everything in one post ;)

Lionheart
08-27-2010, 19:53
The preview is done! Now let's see your opinions.

Iain.
08-27-2010, 20:07
Nice preview, I've wanted to play as Numidia in an EB style mod for a long time.

Lionheart
08-27-2010, 22:17
I'm glad that you liked. I always feel the same. Since the vanilla version i always liked Numidia.

Lionheart
08-28-2010, 12:30
Here goes some screenshots from the units. Hope that you liked it.

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/bush_e10.jpg

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/dorkim14.jpg

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/49/53/87/dorkim11.jpg

08-28-2010, 13:43
Looks amazing, great job. :2thumbsup:

Lionheart
08-28-2010, 15:19
The credit goes to LDC he made that. I simply do the research.

However in our name i will like to tank your kind words. I believe that when this is finished you will liked it even more.

08-28-2010, 21:52
The more I see of this mod, the more I look forward to it. Keep it up guys, great work so far..

plutoboyz
08-28-2010, 22:29
this one looks great. I always wanted to play numidia.

btw, aren't Numidian(Berber) are light skinned?

Lionheart
08-29-2010, 00:46
That depends. Numidia at this time was a very interesting place to be.

We have Numidians, Maurae, Gaetuli, Garamantes you even have mercenaries from Hispania, Gaul, roman desertors, punic descendents, roman merchants (mainly of north of italy and some from the italian allies).

All this kind of man served in the Numidian armies. So we have try to make that come true in some way with this faction.

Thanks for your kind words. I believe that when this is ready you will like to play as Numidia.

Reno Melitensis
08-29-2010, 17:34
One question about Numidia. Its true or it is an invention that north africans during this time used chariots. As always its a great preview. Cheers.

Ludens
08-29-2010, 18:10
The African preview for EB2 shows a Libyan chariot unit, so yes. Unless you mean the era of this submod; then I don't know. I am not sure how heavily the Libyans participated in the battles against (or with) the Romans. If they did not, there is probably no way of knowing.

The Numidians had developed proper heavy cavalry at this point, so they did not use chariots.

Lionheart
08-30-2010, 17:47
From the research i made i was not able to find references to the use of chariots in the Numidian army.

However i do find like Ludens says that at this time they begun developing heavy cavalry and infantry units very inspired in the roman way of warfare.
Besides the most powerful unit they possess are the war elephants (in that way they are very similar to the Carthaginians both in the use of elephants and mercenary units. We have tried to make that a reality in the mod)

Nyz
08-30-2010, 23:40
Great works guys! And things are very peaceful here.

anubis88
08-31-2010, 12:17
And amen to that :).

We solved that issue thank god. Now we can soon start working on another preview... Actually 2 more important factions are all but ready... But we don't want to spoil you by making previews too quick in succesion :clown:

Cute Wolf
08-31-2010, 13:21
Great works guys! And things are very peaceful here.

Yeah, the ORG is like nice countryside, and everyone is familiar and generally nice with each other, even with newbie or "strangers". While TWC are more about busy Downtown, that it doesn't too surprising when something nasty happened :clown:

Nyz
08-31-2010, 16:34
Well, keep up guys!!! We at the .org will continue to support you...

CaesarAugustus
08-31-2010, 20:41
That was a very good preview, well done!

anubis88
09-01-2010, 11:51
That was a very good preview, well done!

On behalf of our team, thank you :laugh:. Lionheart and LDC really did a great job on the Numidians. But don't be fooled tough... Numidia will definetly be one of the toughest if not the toughest faction in EBNOM. Resisting Rome at this time was very hard, especially by a kingdom devastaded by the Jugurthine war. Of course hope remains, if you manage to kick the Romans out of Africa and establish a strong state with good income. Then everything will be possible.

But as i said, it will be a very difficult campaing.

The next preview will be about a less difficult faction. A great faction. A faction that will fight Rome sooner or later... Wiht cavalry... And infantry... And....

Anyone willing to guess? :clown:

09-01-2010, 12:02
The Parthian Empire? The other great powerhouse of this era, along with SPQR...

Lionheart
09-01-2010, 12:28
On behalf of our team, thank you :laugh:. Lionheart and LDC really did a great job on the Numidians. But don't be fooled tough... Numidia will definetly be one of the toughest if not the toughest faction in EBNOM. Resisting Rome at this time was very hard, especially by a kingdom devastaded by the Jugurthine war. Of course hope remains, if you manage to kick the Romans out of Africa and establish a strong state with good income. Then everything will be possible.

But as i said, it will be a very difficult campaing.

The next preview will be about a less difficult faction. A great faction. A faction that will fight Rome sooner or later... Wiht cavalry... And infantry... And....

Anyone willing to guess? :clown:

True. The player that will try Numidia will found a very hard campaign. Not only because you need to kick the romans out of africa. But mainly because you need to develop your kingdom and gain the heart of your pleople.
Also the Kingdom of Mauretania will be a hard chellenge even if they are eleutheroi but be ready to have a hard time conquering Africa.
But after you do that like Anubis says almost all will become possible. Even put a Numidian governor in rome. :)

Also thanks for you kind words and i express my thank's in my name and LDC.

The next preview will be .... (not telling you have to wait a little longer)

Nyz
09-01-2010, 12:47
The next preview will be the tough one for your guys because of recent incident for us to guess what is it because very little clues given...

I guess Ptolemaoi though, as gamegeek2 showed us the cavalry unit (with Serapis-design shield) for that faction earlier...

anubis88
09-01-2010, 12:58
The incident was only about 1 unit. So no further "incidents" are expected. And it's not the Ptolemaioi! For once intifadanyz is wrong! Hooray :clown:

Nyz
09-01-2010, 13:19
hohoho.... you are happy when I had wrong answer.....well, I cannot read your mind though.... never mind, sometimes we guess it right, sometimes not... next guess... Pontos?

anubis88
09-01-2010, 13:36
I refuse to answer this :no: :clown:

Nyz
09-01-2010, 16:59
~Sigh~

I get 2 clowns in a row....

anubis88
09-01-2010, 17:30
It's just not fun when you guess everything so soon :no:

:laugh3:

But your right... Pontos is next

Nyz
09-01-2010, 17:51
Nah, Anubis, don't take it seriously... So far it is just Mr. Gracchus and me participated in your guys guessing game.... and sometimes Mr. Butcher...

If the prize of guessing the right answer is a PREVIEW, then take your time to publish it... we will patiently wait for it.

Well, you know... when somebody take part in the guessing game, or take time to post comments in the thread, then it's just mean that they are interested in your project and closely following your guys...

anubis88
09-01-2010, 18:43
I know that :)

It would be more fun tough if there were 19 wrong answers and 1 correct :D

I'll start working on the preview today or tommorow.

gamegeek2
09-01-2010, 20:52
As a special treat for you guys, we've made a preview video showing the Sertoriani in battle with Numidia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&feature=fvst

Cute Wolf
09-01-2010, 21:10
Do not look

As a special treat for you guys, we've made a preview video showing the Sertoriani in battle with Numidia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&feature=fvst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&feature=fvst
umm? was THIS guy a new Sertoriani general model?
and I see the Numidians! :clown:

umm, I did have some unit models and officers that you'll mostly never seen before

really want to see
come on, I don't lie, this models are quite surprisin!
Ok Baby! Here we gohttp://www.twcenter.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=3369&pictureid=43757

:clown:

Bet most of you will never see them before :grin:

anubis88
09-02-2010, 12:00
Wow that movie is AWESOME! I especially love tha part when the Numidian Bodyguards and GLDMTK are in a fight with the Devotio spearmen of the Sertoriani, and then the Sertoriani Devotio cavalry destroys everything in it's path!

Nyz
09-02-2010, 13:19
The Malays always make a joke that if you cannot see, or you see things differently from others, it mean that your life is shorter and the end is near...

Well, I just don't want to admit it, but never mind.... It's a great preview...:clown:

Lionheart
09-03-2010, 14:13
A question about the mod: can we have 20 factions plus eleutheroi. Or eleutheroi should be part of the 20 factions?

09-03-2010, 15:31
20+Eleutheroi (just count the factions in EB if you are still in doubt :2thumbsup: )

Atraphoenix
09-03-2010, 15:36
What about hording?
Any decision made on it?
I am sure there should not be any faction without cities but some may have hording speciality methinks.

MButcher
09-03-2010, 15:50
Speaking of nomads, has the team decided what the starting positions are going to be for the Saka and Baktrians?

DeathFinger
09-03-2010, 16:43
Bactrians aren't nomads ^^

Starting positions in those areas are still to be defined, at least because some towns grew in importance, taking other's place.

MButcher
09-03-2010, 17:10
Fully aware of that. That's what I get for not proof reading >_<.

Alrighty then. However they end up, it'll be great to play with Indo-Greeks.

anubis88
09-03-2010, 17:23
Fully aware of that. That's what I get for not proof reading >_<.

Alrighty then. However they end up, it'll be great to play with Indo-Greeks.

How do you know that Indo-Greeks will be included? :clown:

plutoboyz
09-03-2010, 17:39

SPQR
Parthia
Armenia
Pontus
Sweboz
Lugiones
Arverni
Haedui
Belgae
Suessiones
Boii
Getae
Mauretania
Numidia
Sertorian Roman rebels
Nabatea
Hasmoneans
Hymarites
Saba
Iceni
Catuvelani
Cantabri
Sarmatians
Scythians
Yuezhi
Indo - Saka
Indo - Greeks
Astures
Axum
Meroe...

this is so confusing...

aren't BI only have 20 slots?

Atraphoenix
09-03-2010, 17:41
this is so confusing...

aren't BI only have 20 slots?

I doubt that they are waiting for EB2 :*)

MButcher
09-03-2010, 18:20
How do you know that Indo-Greeks will be included? :clown:

Blasphemy! :rifle:

One should not joke about such things.