PDA

View Full Version : Worth the money?

edyzmedieval
04-13-2010, 22:55
Ok, so my super cheap Napoleon TW Imperial Edition version I had to give away as a present at the heavy pressures of my parents who bribed me eventually and gave me cash to buy it again, but this time I ask

Is Napoleon worth the money?

I played the demo, twice, and I had a blast, so I'm definitely inclined. I just want some more opinions. ~:)

Tomisama
04-14-2010, 00:17
Napoleon has already provided me with more personal enjoyment, than any other Total War game in the last ten years...

:charge:

Graphic
04-14-2010, 00:51
Every penny.

Forward Observer
04-14-2010, 01:16
It's definitely worth it. I've logged over several hundred hours at it now and haven't even played two of the main factions yet. Where else can you get that much gaming entertainment for only 40 bucks.

Fisherking
04-14-2010, 06:11
It is a great game and I am like FO I have played hundreds of hours and have not touched 3 major factions yet.

It is immersive, it is smooth, and it is fun.

You are missing out on a lot by not having it.

edyzmedieval
04-14-2010, 07:06
Yeah well, I had it, the retail Imperial Edition, it's just that I had to give it away. Damn it... ~:(

Anyways, I'm gonna join soon. Imperial Edition on Steam, lock it to my account because I already have Empire there so I want to keep them in one basket.

Cruelsader
04-21-2010, 18:10
IMHO the game is not worth the current price. Why? First, some background to my opinion. I have played STW and MTW a lot (and I mean a lot). I have also played RTW but not as much: I got bored with the featureless battle maps, sieges and poor AI. Since I was disappointed with RTW I ignored MTW2 and ETW. NTW caught my attention, however, because of the idea of multiplayer campaign. Fortunately, a friend of mine has a copy so I had a chance to play instead of being forced to buy it blindly. I did not play much (maybe 20 or so hours) but what I saw was enough for me. The graphics are truly spectacular (at least compared to RTW not speaking of older titles), however the battle AI seems to be even dumber than in RTW. What really annoyed me, however, was the way the units responded to my commands. There seemed to be path finding problems in settlements. Also, as far as I could tell the units do not take into account friendly units and obstacles (including landscape) when firing. Cannons keep shooting into obvious obstacles and, unless you babysit them, massacre your own troops. In one siege battle my Chasseurs units tried to shoot straight through solid fort walls!! etc I really do not see point playing a game set in gunpowder era where units are unable to determine whether they have clear LoS. Multiplayer wont help against that.

Tsavong
04-25-2010, 11:06
Is Napoleon worth the money?
You have Empire do you not? Did you enjoy it?

Napoleon is very like Empire but different and in many ways better, in my opinion, quite a lot of things have been looked at I would say if you enjoyed Empire you will probably enjoy Napoleon.

edyzmedieval
04-27-2010, 14:59
I enjoyed Empire, and I hope NTW will not dissapoint. The demo was a blast, I played it three times already, so I'm looking forward to the whole package.

My question is this - NTW or MW2? Probably the biggest dilemma I've ever had. I played the Steam Free Weekend and it was real fun, but im not too convinced of paying 60 euros + 15 for the extra DLC pack...

A Nerd
04-27-2010, 15:06
I watched some battle commentary of NTW and the AI seemed alittle dissapointing. The AI I face in ETW seemed more able. Perhaps they were bad examples. Has NTW been patched yet? What does it cost now? I'd rather get it thru Amazon than Steam.

Fisherking
04-27-2010, 18:04
The game is dirt cheap. Last I looked it was like 13.00 what ever.

It was patched, just minor stuff but they gave us free dlc with it also.

A Nerd
04-27-2010, 18:05
Great, is that 13 USD? I was planning to buy it in June anyway.

Fisherking
04-27-2010, 22:07
$29.90 @ amazon.com.

13.98 pounds at amazon.uk

A Nerd
04-27-2010, 22:22
Nice!

edyzmedieval
04-28-2010, 07:06
13 pounds?! And they sell it for 49 euros on Steam?! What a rip-off... Price discrimination of the highest degree.

A Nerd
04-28-2010, 11:51
Steam probably thinks that the convienence of a download at home and perhaps the speed at which you recieve the game (depending on download speed) is worth the extra money. Personally, I'd rather wait and save getting the game on CD from amazon or some store like that. I've heared NTW also takes a long time to download and install via steam. I could be incorrect in that observation though.

G. Septimus
04-28-2010, 13:12
umm, zeah
I´ve trtied it, and it`s nice for 2.4 Ghz

A Nerd
04-28-2010, 13:56
That seems acceptable. I've heard horror stories that the download took hours to complete. I guess I misunderstood. Still, I think I would prefer to have a hard copy on a CD. I guess I'm just alittle old fashioned.

The Stranger
04-28-2010, 18:51
i bought the game for 23 euros on amazon. i preordered. in the shops here it is sold for 55 euros. so thats more than 50% off. very nice. ive only played 55 hours but thats cuz im now hooked on AoE3

A Nerd
04-28-2010, 19:21
Off topic...by AoE3 you mean age of empires? Is it good? I have it but have yet to play. Apologizes for off topic comment.

The Stranger
04-28-2010, 22:10
Off topic...by AoE3 you mean age of empires? Is it good? I have it but have yet to play. Apologizes for off topic comment.

yes age of empires 3. i love that game man. the singleplayer campaign is fun (the skirmishes not so much, because hard is too easy and expert is too fake, they are too good). But what i love most is to play online. man awesome!

if you have it, install it and log in online, on eso. add me, my name is umeu. and we can play a few games. there are still like 2000 players on during peak hours, which is still very lively for a 5 year old game.

A Nerd
04-29-2010, 13:49
Sounds like fun! I'd need ALOT of practice first though. I am a complete MP virgin!

edyzmedieval
04-30-2010, 21:07
Got it off Amazon for 14 pounds, Imperial Edition...Might as well buy another one to have it as a collectible lol.
Get it now, its half price I think. It's worth it considering its only 14 quid and you get the 5 extra units, compared to 49 euros on Steam!

Royce
05-05-2010, 20:32
Good evaluation and I have to agree with you 100%. The preset battles are very boring and Waterloo especially was a big dissapointment. The number of units available are just so few. Twenty units just do not do justice to epic battles. Napoleon went into Russia with 165,000 troops hardly represented by a mere 20 units in NTW. Too bad I really liked the TW series and had hoped they would progress. The graphics are good but that's about it.

Graphic
05-07-2010, 01:50
Good evaluation and I have to agree with you 100%. The preset battles are very boring and Waterloo especially was a big dissapointment. The number of units available are just so few. Twenty units just do not do justice to epic battles. Napoleon went into Russia with 165,000 troops hardly represented by a mere 20 units in NTW. Too bad I really liked the TW series and had hoped they would progress. The graphics are good but that's about it.

You should try playing multiplayer historical battles, or creating your own LAN server and filling all the empty slots with CPU opponents. 4v4, 80 units vs 80 units.

Tantalaul
05-07-2010, 17:24
Hello!

I buy this game in Romania with 140 lei in 12 rates with a credit card.:laugh4:
I buy after they said that is Romania in game. So for that i buy this game.
In resurces is big eather and is very bad for an old PC.
Graphics ok, story is Total War, so it is a taste thing if you buy or not.
You can wait to be cheaper.

Got it off Amazon for 14 pounds, Imperial Edition...Might as well buy another one to have it as a collectible lol.
Get it now, its half price I think. It's worth it considering its only 14 quid and you get the 5 extra units, compared to 49 euros on Steam!

rotorgun
05-10-2010, 22:39
I bought Napoleon Total War-Limited Edition at Wally World for $39.00. While it is not a perfect simulation of the Napoleonic era-and isn't meant to be, it is great fun IMHO. I have played it for many hours in the last few weeks and have more than made my money back in terms of entertainment. I like the way it captures the "feel" of the era. The music is one of my favorite features that adds this flavor. The battles are fun, even if you are limited to twenty units per army. The campaigns at least put you into the strategic shoes of the great figures of the day, with many of the same problems they had to solve-logistics, strategy, tactics, politics, diplomacy etc.

Well worth $40.00

Mediteran
05-14-2010, 12:06
i think its the best tw title since rome :) i havent had this much fun playing vanilla in a long time

edyzmedieval
05-14-2010, 20:50
Rome was a bit of a disaster, I liked M2TW more...

But I'm definitely looking forward to NTW! It's on its way! :yes:

antisocialmunky
05-14-2010, 22:23
I smell bias.

edyzmedieval

Fisherking
05-15-2010, 08:34
It costs, like what? Dinner and a movie. And a cheap one at that. It lasts a lot longer than that.

If you play it on hard, some of the battles will take you days to learn how to win.

Then there are all those campaigns...

So what is the problem?

Alexander the Pretty Good
05-20-2010, 07:41
So what is the problem?

DLC uniforms instead of mod support?

Fisherking
05-23-2010, 07:44
There is nothing new about that you know.

DLC has only been around for a bit more than a year.

As far as mods go, CA has never done much to support them.

They have tossed us a bone a couple of times but that is all.

It has always been the community that worked it out. We are stuck on the maps for the last two games.

Most of the rest is modable.

edyzmedieval
05-23-2010, 15:06
Purchased, including all DLC, and the pre-order code I kept it for myself, so now I'm enjoying Napoleon TW.

The wow factor went away blindingly fast, after 2 hours of playing it I got bored. Will resume tonight, the main campaign with France.

pevergreen
05-23-2010, 15:43
Purchased, including all DLC, and the pre-order code I kept it for myself, so now I'm enjoying Napoleon TW.

The wow factor went away blindingly fast, after 2 hours of playing it I got bored. Will resume tonight, the main campaign with France.

I'm hoping, hoping hoping to get what I want at this years E3, when they announce the new TW title. They say they're going back to basics.

ROME ANYONE? :beam:

edyzmedieval
05-23-2010, 16:42
I want a new Medieval...

A Nerd
05-23-2010, 16:47
I want a new Medieval...

Did you like M2TW? I started a new Venice and am having quite a good time. At war with the Byz and HRE. About to take Florance and Theselonica. Haven't used the add_money cheat yet and I am beyond 25 turns. So proud of myself! I've always been a big fan of the medieval period too, wouldn't mind a M3.

edyzmedieval
05-23-2010, 17:55
I still think M2TW is the last good title CA ever made. STW, MTW (the best) and M2TW are the only ones worthy of praise. The others are plain bad (RTW) or just meh (ETW). Can't judge NTW yet.

A Nerd
05-23-2010, 18:13
I didn't really like RTW either. I had some fun with ETW, even before the series of patches. I always get a good campaign going in ETW when something halts it though. GB, new patch my save games weren't compatible. Russia, new motherboard and OS had to reinstall. Had a great Swedish campaign though, Swedish colonies in America was great!

IncubusDragon
05-28-2010, 23:15
I got Imperial Edition on offer at Gamestation for £14.99... I never bought ETW, so leapfrogged straight from M2TW to NTW.

My machine gets very hot when playing NTW. I haven't yet started a proper campaign (just got it this week) but the battles are much better than I thought they were going to be... when set on "normal" difficulty, set your line of battle to fire-at-will, then go away and put the kettle on - but change the setting to "hard" and you will lose the battle if you don't gain local superiority.

The sea battles are brilliant... I got my butt kicked 3 times in a row, but still loved it (I really gotta learn naval tactics, hehehe).

Worth the money? Hell yeah... no glitches or bugs yet, just runs hot.

smooth_operator
05-30-2010, 04:59
that seems reasonable...what happens when you are 99% at the download and the power fluctuates???whoa

edyzmedieval
05-31-2010, 00:06
Darn it, I have to restart the campaign in Italy. The Austrians have two or three stacks every time posted around Klagenfurt!

Otherwise, enjoying it a lot. Much more than ETW to be honest, but the wow-factor might go soon.

The Sultan
06-04-2010, 07:32
Firstly I'm kicking myself for just buying it on Steam - what a rip off - why didn't I look on amazon??? Wish i had read this thread first.

Secondly, ignoring the inflated steam price - I think NTW is a great great game - it's a huge improvement on ETW in terms of playability and the AI seems alot more challenging. I started playing the TW series at MTW and have been following them ever since - magnificent series - however the period covered in ETW which basically leads into the Napoleonic Era is probably one of my favourite historically speaking - I'm a big fan of the Patrick O'Brien books ( Which became the film Master & Commander ) so I was desperate for the naval battles in ETW and NTW is bang on my timeframe. (Hence I'm totally biased of course) Big thumbs up anyway for both ETW and NTW.

I'm not sure why people didn't like RTW that much though... who could resist the flaming pigs?

edyzmedieval
06-05-2010, 14:21
NTW has much better battles than ETW, although I do like the super-variation in ETW. But still, you can use tactics and actually your brain for once when playing NTW, as even on normal sometimes the AI can be a challenge.

Not worth the Steam price. Never.

smooth_operator
06-05-2010, 16:23
who could resist the flaming pigs?

now this is cute

edyzmedieval
06-08-2010, 17:03
Played it even more, racked up about 30 hours so far. It's definitely worth it. Even happier that I bought the Imperial Edition.

Extra unit packs bring some flavour to the game, and it's good to use some historical units when you try to overcome the odds and conquer Moscow.

Get it while stocks last guys!

Royce
06-10-2010, 22:59
Fisherking I think it's worth the money but of course I'd like to see some improvemets. You seem to know alot could you tell me how or where to find the Brunswick Line Infantry (Great Britian)? Sorry I hope it's ok to ask this question in this forum. I'm just at a loss I think I've looked everywhere. It isn't listed as DLC. Thanks for any help.

edyzmedieval
06-10-2010, 23:45
Get the last tier of the military recruitment building in London?

Den of Earth
06-11-2010, 10:40
It is definitely worth every cent. For those of you who find this time period boring, I would suggest reading The Campaigns of Napoleon by David G. Chandler. I own a three volume Folio Society edition and the game sure gives a greater experience, I should say, when you know about the nations, leaders, armies and tactics of the time.

Royce
06-11-2010, 20:30
Still not sure where Brunswick Line is. I have built everything possible in London and no Brunswick I thought it might be in another country a bit like the Polish Legion for France.

Visarion
06-11-2010, 22:25
yes good game! hey guys what is wrong with twcenter.net? any ideea?

Sir Robin
06-12-2010, 00:02
I was an idiot and bought it through Steam myself a couple of days ago. It's still downloading too... /sigh

Royce
06-12-2010, 15:44
Visarion-It's back up today but was down for a couple of days not sure why or what happened, servers maybe.

edyzmedieval
06-14-2010, 00:03
SP is definitely worth the cash, but how's multiplayer?

mic1402
07-04-2010, 02:50
I played some multi last night and it was fun. ntw is really just a super improved and polished etw.

Tsavong
07-04-2010, 19:01
Ye I think it is a nice improvement over ETW just wish there was some way to get the ETW campaign into NTW and take over the world with NTWs improved battles now that be sweet.

Audacia
07-04-2010, 23:37
If anyone is getting tired of the Napoleonic era playing NTW try out the Great War mod, huge improvements to BAI and CAI and loads of WWI esque combate which is tons of fun

mic1402
07-06-2010, 07:19
If anyone is getting tired of the Napoleonic era playing NTW try out the Great War mod, huge improvements to BAI and CAI and loads of WWI esque combate which is tons of fun

which you can't get at the moment.~;p

Audacia
07-06-2010, 14:20
which you can't get at the moment.~;p

Very true, but I'm sure we could find a link somewhere ;)

And we can all be very patient, but I was just recommending this to anyone who might like it :laugh4:

edyzmedieval
07-14-2010, 20:18
Came back to tell you of my recent NTW endeavours - great game! I'm loving it, especially the battles. The AI is improved after the update.

And ETW has been uninstalled.

Fookison
09-02-2010, 23:10
Sorry to hear that you uninstalled ETW. It really is a fun game to play much like NTW. I do like the tweaks in NTW though!!!

edyzmedieval
09-30-2010, 23:25
Funniest battle possible. Siege, killed everyone apart from the general, my armed conscripts were following him trying to encircle but the bastard kept running away until an unexpected cannon shot blasted him to the underworld.

The Peninsular Campaign is exciting, I must add.

Pratriall
11-01-2010, 01:25
It's definitely worth it. I've logged over several hundred hours at it now and haven't even played two of the main factions yet. Where else can you get that much gaming entertainment for only 40 bucks.

crpcarrot
11-02-2010, 17:50
all i can say is i miss my epic 2 hour battles of hand 2 hand combat, fighting off waves and waves of reinforcements, seige assaults when you knew you you were going to pay a heavy heavy price, seige defences where though you would lose the battle you could make sure that lost battle emant the enemy lost the war.

and my fathful elite 5 exp units that would always turn the battle for me and last but not least training jedi generals

sigh

Mailman653
04-29-2011, 01:32
http://www.direct2drive.com/9801/product/Buy-Napoleon:-Total-War-Download
Get it while its hot! Today only, NTW for $12.49 on D2D.

Fisherking
05-01-2011, 19:06
That was a great find. I hope it sold a few more copies.

Thanks!

edyzmedieval
05-02-2011, 14:47
Started replaying NTW... I'm taking a serious shot at completing that Austria campaign.

nbk
11-25-2012, 07:59
I'm considering buying NTW. After a long long time without TW and some you tube videos I'm back on track :)

BUT, I keep reading a lot of negative ratings regarding NTW e.g. that you have to download tons of content despite having the DVDs you bought, that steam is a MUST HAVE in order to play it etc etc.

I'm a vet of MTW and RTW which you installed, patched ;) and enjoyed.
But if this is true I'm not sure if I want to continue this great game.

From the videos I have seen it's devinately worth its money but what about the negative comments ? true or not ?

Fisherking
11-26-2012, 22:50
I didn’t have that much trouble with it.

Steam always adds the updates but it is no great long wait.

Most games now use steam or are EA games which use there junk.

I liked it better before but we don’t have that choice. That’s all.

nbk
12-01-2012, 03:02
its an unpleasant development if you ask me and YES we have a choice because we decide what we do with our money.
I feel that I'm tempted to go to Warband and wave TW a sad good bye

Fisherking
12-01-2012, 09:16
But even Paradox has gone that route. CK II is a steam game also.

Steam is not that bad, most of the time. I had some issues with Skyrim but nothing else.

Unless you are still on a dial up modem it should be easy. And once it is installed you can always go to offline mode and never use it again.