PDA

View Full Version : How do I rename replays?

Nigel
04-15-2010, 20:01
And another question.

In one battle I was not able to save the replay - mainly because I was taking too much time to figure out a nice, well soundnig name for the file.

Next time I decided to be faster and just typed "a1" as filename, intending to rename it later to give it a name that helps me remember what that battle was about in many days time.

But looking spontaneously, I could not find the place where the file is saved. Can anyone point me into the direction ? Or is it encrypted somehown and not freely available ?

Jochi Khan
04-15-2010, 23:31
Hello Nigel

You will find your replay files in the following folder...

C:\Username\AdminName\AppData\Roaming\TheCreativeAssembly\Napoleon\replays

Renaming it in the replay folder should override the a1 that you named it after the battle.

One point to remember is that some folders are 'hidden' so you may have to make them 'visible'.

Edit:
Renaming it in the replay folder should override the a1 that you named it after the battle.
I did a test with a 'Test replay'.
Renamed it 'Test replay renamed' in the replay folder, went to the Replay option in the Battle List window. The 'Test replay renamed' was no longer visible in the list of replays.
Went back to the replay folder, deleted the added word 'renamed' from the file name so that it was back to original 'Test replay'. Logged on to the Battle List Replay option and the 'Test replay' is now visible again.
So it looks as if you cannot rename a replay.

Nigel
04-16-2010, 14:42
Seems as if it saves the original name of the file in the game somwhere, to show it in the list of replays in the game.
Then when exactly that filename is not there, you cannot load it - what a pitty.

I guess it is either finding the place where is stores the name of the saved replay in some additional list and editing it there, too,
or I have to type faster when I save replays.

Tomisama
04-16-2010, 23:29
You must have changed the extention.

I just tryed to change the name of a file called Ha.replay by copying it and renaming it Ha Ha.replay, and it works fine.

Both Ha and Ha Ha showed up in the game.

As long as the replay file has the .replay on it, it should be ok.

You can even send replays to other players, and they can put them in their replay file and watch them just like you do :smile:

Edit:

In your tools/folder options/view
check –show hidden files and folders
uncheck – Hide extensions of known file types
click - apply
click - apply to all folders
click - ok

might help :wink:

Jochi Khan
04-17-2010, 00:22
You must have changed the extention.

Correct Tomi. I had put the word renamed after the .replay extension.

A simple mistake. :dizzy2:

I just did another test and it worked perfectly. Even started the replay running to make certain that it could be seen.

It is safe to rename your replay Nigel :smile:

Nigel
04-17-2010, 19:20
I must admid I am still struggeling with Windows 7.

But I found the file now, using the Search function. Renamed it and it works perfectly.

Many thanks for the help on this.