PDA

View Full Version : underage Daimyo

HattoriKun
11-02-2000, 02:36
Anybody else notice how the game won't let any heir command units until age 16 or so but the Imagawa Daimyo starts out at age 11?

Catiline
11-02-2000, 13:09
Imho, clans shouldn't die out if you die before you have an heir, the heir ought to take over, but the should be a general loss of honour acroos the board, and a lot of territory aroun the extremities of your territory ought to go ronin. however, this may not be appropriate for Japan, it comes very much from european examples, so might not be accurate at all.

Garyasu
11-02-2000, 15:30
I don't quite follow the previous reply. How can an heir take over if you don't have one? Makes no sense.

Jaxem
11-02-2000, 16:18
I think the situation he is
writting about is when you have
no mature heirs and an underage
heir. He believes the underage
heir should still take over and
the player should not lose the game.

-J

Catiline
11-02-2000, 17:41
Yep, I was talking nonsense, I do mean an underage heir rather than no heir at all. It'll teach me to try and right two posts on two completely different forums on different games at the same time.

The Black Ship
11-02-2000, 23:29
If your heir is still underage why not have a regent? It was done all the time in real life. Have your highest honour general rule in the heir's name until he's of age http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

NARF
11-02-2000, 23:34
Because I bet the daymios wife cheated on him with the general, how trustworthy is he now huh?

Rob
11-04-2000, 10:25
Actually, why not stop there?

Why not have the highest ranked general take over when there is no heir at all?

ShaiHulud
11-04-2000, 11:08
Rob's comment on the highest ranking gemeral has historical precedence. Hideyoshi did assume control when the Nobunaga Daimyo and heir were killed.

------------------
Wind fells blossoms, rain
fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks

The Black Ship
11-04-2000, 11:33
I'll go for it. Just wondering how the boys will figure out who's boss if you have two generals of equal rank. How about a duel http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

Catiline
11-04-2000, 18:26
Civil war, or possibly paper scissor stones

Ooops, came very close to posting about WWII radio calls here, we're not alone with our bugs here after all.

Tenchimuyo
11-16-2000, 22:24
Good idea man!

Obake
11-16-2000, 23:29
I like where this is going! Assuming there is an underage heir, and two generals of equal ability, you should get to pick who the successor is BUT you would have to deal with the consequences........

Imagine having the other general along with armies in other provinces revolting against your choice and essentially creating a civil war within your territory (little bit harder to deal with than a peasant revolt don't you think). Now imagine that happening....say within the Hojo Horde! Let's take it a step further... let's imagine having an Heir revolt against you! (after all, that's how Shingen came into power)

Combine this with an expanded diplomatic interface (you can ally with/support those revolting generals or heirs) and now we're talkin' about a campaign that has replay value!

Imagine going hardcore Ironman with Imagawa (christian, etc. the whole bit) and then having Tokugawa Ieyasu revolting against you when you go christian, taking over Totomi (with no loss of infrastructure I might add) and you having to take him out.

Yahoo!

------------------
Obake http://members.tripod.com/smilecwm/cgi-bin/s/net8/laghost.gif

We are but shadows of our former selves and the sons and daughters of lions have become sheep. I am the ghost of our past.

[This message has been edited by Obake (edited 11-16-2000).]

Tenchimuyo
11-17-2000, 00:15
Hey Obake, I think I've actually played a game where you can pick your succesor before. Maybe it was one of those chinese games I've played.

The Black Ship
11-17-2000, 05:20
Obake,
That's an awful lot of revolting goin on LOL. Most would agree the strategy side needs something to add some spark, so I'm in http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif How would you suggest tracking loyalty levels amongst yur men, or are you suggesting a "blind" system?

They can start with the Regent suggestion first, get the bugs out, then go full-bore!

Widda
11-17-2000, 05:41
Perhaps a general would lose faith if he was being ignored as another general is being used at the front while he wanders around the rear echilon. Constant ninja attacks or garrison duties, low man power relative to other units lowering the armies morale, on, and on and on... Marvelous just what the diplomatic side needs the chance of an Usurper. Widda.

[This message has been edited by Widda (edited 11-16-2000).]

Obake
11-17-2000, 05:58
Usurping on it's most simple level, could be based on the relative strength of the general and heir. If you've got a level 2 heir and your top general is level 4 or 5 andhe has a lot of troops, when the Daimyo dies there is x% chance that he will revolt against the heir. Better yet, the heir may revolt against you as Daimyo. Or say you have no heir of age, you as Daimyo can appoint the regent from among your generals, but it you choose poorly, other strong generals may revolt. There is also the issue of additional provinces revolting along with the usurper (in whatever form). I believe that a loyalty "meter" could be added to the stats of a general based in part on the same factors used for population loyalty along with specifics, a successful general may be more willing to revolt against a Daimyo of lesser skill/level and so on. I haven't worked out all the specifics, I just threw the idea out there. Let's see what we catch with it!

------------------
Obake http://members.tripod.com/smilecwm/cgi-bin/s/net8/laghost.gif

We are but shadows of our former selves and the sons and daughters of lions have become sheep. I am the ghost of our past.

Heims30
11-18-2000, 03:01
Expansion Pack! If TW2 is gonna re Romans or sumthin, this should be in an expansion pack. I think this is a very good idea. I mean, didn't kings pick heirs all the time if they had no sons? And wasn't there always some other guys tryin to do away with the chosen heir & take over?

Nelson
11-18-2000, 03:44
This idea of an eminent taisho taking over a clan is a sound one. Are you listening, CA?

The Black Ship
11-19-2000, 04:21
If their were any diplomacy in this game you could conceiveably adopt out a spare heir to a clan that's lacking. Of course YOU get their territory when the clan heir dies http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by The Black Ship (edited 11-18-2000).]

HattoriKun
11-19-2000, 20:35
Not to belabor the point but the game points out that Imagawa's son is ready to serve at the age of 16 when Imagawa is only 17!