PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive Content Unbalances Multiplayer

Tomisama
05-08-2010, 13:10
Game add-on imbalances damage fair-play in multiplayer competitions.

Equal access to the same units for all competitors in multiplayer contests is critical.

So far we have suffered along by banning exclusive content units available to only purchasers of special editions of the game.

But with the release of the Imperial Guard free DLC, and Coalition Battle paid DLC, the question has to come up;

When will we have the opportunity to “even up” and get everyone in balance?

If we have to pay or whatever, it is time make “all” units available to “all” players.

Please tell them how you feel at the dot com!

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/71039

Dionysus9
05-10-2010, 23:32
Do you happen to have any of the Coalition Battle Pack unit stats?

Despite the snazzy CA write-up about the new units, the description is lacking any actual stats. I'm not going to plunk down money (not even a couple of bucks) to buy something unless I know what I'm getting. I'm also not ready to go on the war path unless/until I can tell that the new units really do have an unbalancing effect on MP. A lot of the special units so far have been relatively useless (better value in regular units)... so for now I'm still undecided.

Once I get a look at the unit stats and MP recruiting costs, I'll be more inclined to complain if those units are a better value than the existing units. Let me know if you can dig up any unit stats for the Coalition Battle Pack.

Tomisama
05-11-2010, 01:00
Haven’t seen the stats yet on the Coalition Battle Pack, though they may be available somewhere around. Or I guess I could go look them up, as I have the units now, it’s just that I haven’t had time.

They are probably like all of the other added content, priced appropriately for battlefield statistical attributes. There probably is no imbalance there, they are typically a bit stronger, but cost a bit more also.

Do you need them? Probably not, no-body really “needs” them.

Can they be useful? In the hands of a martial artist, a toothpick is lethal. So yes, they can provide an advantage if you know how to put them to work.

Their direct value is that you may be able to purchase one of these, where you could not normally afford the next step up in units. So you get a better than average instead of an average one, and where you could not afford the best one.

Ok if you look at the stats the difference may not be that encouraging, but place that better than average unit in a line of average ones, and their stability (the average units) is raised. You could not have done this unless you had a unit of the proper price to fit the situation.

And that is the imbalance; some players have access to units that others do not have. And it is not that those units provide any super powers, but that they provide “options” that those without do not have, and can not get!

Dionysus9
05-12-2010, 01:55
noooooo.....you didn't buy it? Awww, Tomi, now they won't take your boycott seriously. I for one will vote with my $. Until someone proves to me that the DLC units will actually enrich my gaming experience, I'm keeping my pocket change in my pocket.

Tomisama
05-12-2010, 12:14
I am not boycotting anything, but asking for the availability of the Exclusive Content units to everyone.

The DLC is not the same as the Exclusive Content, as demonstrated below.

If you didnt get Exclusive Content with your original purchase, you can not get it now!

Game Add-Ons Classification
http://www.totalwar.com/napoleon/

EXCLUSIVE CONTENT

0. Retailer Gift (1 unit gift from different retailers)
- Grand Battery of the Convention
- Royal Scots Greys
- HMS Elephant

1. Heroes of the Napoleonic Wars (available with the Imperial Edition)
- 7th Lancers – France
- Brandenburg Uhlans – Prusia
- 1st Hussars – Austria
- 15th Hussars - Great Britain
- 1st East Prussian Grenadier Battalion – Prussia
- 6th Regiment d'Infanterie Légère – France
- 17th Jäger Regiment – Russia
- 1st Regiment Emperor's Own – Austria
- 18th Regiment d'Infanterie de Ligne "The Brave" – France
- Moscow Musketeers – Russia

2. Elite Regiment (available with most pre-order editions)
- 5e Regiment de Hussards – France
- Pavlograd Hussars – Russia
- 8th Life Regiment – Prussia
- 47th (Czech) Regiment – Austria
- 88th Foot "Connaught Rangers" - Great Britain

DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT (DLC)

Standard Content ( DLC that is provided at no cost)

3. Imperial Guard Pack
- Polish Guard Lancers – France
- Dutch Guard Lancers – France
- Guard Chasseurs à Cheval – France
- Dutch Grenadiers – France
- Guard Seamen – France
- Empress Dragons – France

(forgoten other free add-ons)

- Kings German Legion Light Foot
- Kings German Legion Foot
- Kings German Legion Light Dragoons
- Kings German Legion Dragoons

Available Content ( DLC that requires extra purchase)

4. Coalition Battle Pack
- Lifeguard Hussars - Russia
- Coldstream Guards- Great Britain
- Archduke Charles' Legion
- Luetzow's Freikorps - Prussia
- Life Hussars - Prussia – Austria
- Semenovski Lifeguard - Russia

Tomisama
05-12-2010, 12:21
Let me try again (from another post):

The title is a “summation” of what will be explained in the post.

Exclusive Content Unbalances Multiplayer

The details are spelled out in the main body.

Game add-on imbalances damage fair-play in multiplayer competitions.

We are talking about add-ons, fair-play, and competitions.

Equal access to the same units for all competitors in multiplayer contests is critical.

To have as fair a contest as possible, all need to have access to the same resources.

So far we have suffered along by banning exclusive content units available to only purchasers of special editions of the game.

We have done all we can to bridge the gap.

But with the release of the Imperial Guard free DLC, and Coalition Battle paid DLC, the question has to come up;

With downloadable content now available.

When will we have the opportunity to “even up” and get everyone in balance?

Can we please have the chance to get the units that only some got with their games.

If we have to pay or whatever, it is time make “all” units available to “all” players.

We are ready to pay for the privilege.

Please!

We beg of you…

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/71039

Tomisama
05-12-2010, 12:30
(From another forum I am no longer visiting)

Originally Posted by daniu
I'm sure they will be available as paid DLC as was the case with the initially additional units for ETW.
Note that those units don't unbalance MP though as they recruitment price balances them.
I use to argue the same point (added power/added cost). But in practice, the option to have a mid priced unit in your line, where you could not afford a higher priced one gives you an advantage over someone who does not have that option and is forced to make other unit choices. This is the direct advantage.

When the opposing unit groups engage (two infantry lines for example), the stability of just one unit of slightly stronger ability will encourage his line mates to stand, where the opponent will give out. This is the indirect advantage that can not be seen in the stats of the individual units.

Well you say that the money was spent well other places, and it’s all even in the end right? No; because the opponent did not have the choice to strengthen his line “in the same way” if they wanted to (not having the properly price level of unit). This is the imbalance, a matter of choice. To have it, is an advantage.

I know that they will eventually open the gate on these exclusive units. But what I would like to see is for that to happen sooner than “too late” for current competitions.

It never hurts to ask!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=356251&page=2

Tomisama
05-12-2010, 12:46
It never hurts to ask!

This is not necessarily true.

The community outside these walls basically sucks.

Although sometimes you may not agree with the moderators on these forums, we are very fortunate to have people with moral sense, and who are serious about their responsibilities here.

A Salute to the Org Staff :bow:

Dionysus9
05-13-2010, 03:14
Wow, I did not know about the "retailer gift" units. Now that I understand, I agree with you. We should be able to buy any special units out there-- then at least the choice to have them or not is our own.

I imagine that the developers encourage early release of exclusive content to drum up "buzz" for the impending/new release of the game. Once that buzz dies down I think you are right-- they should release the units for public purchase.

Count me in.

Royce
05-13-2010, 16:51
Well I have not played a multiplayer game mostly because (no one to play with) but I agree all units should be available to everyone and I can see how unbalanced the game would be if one player had special units and another did not. It seems to me that everone should be able to at least purchase the units they do not have. I do not have Grand Battery, Scots Greys, or the Elephant thing and can't get it. This really sucks...A person is just being punished for not preordering, very poor business practices.