05-09-2010, 11:23
Askthepizzaguy Mafia
17 players

https://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/askthepizzaguy/pizzapizza.jpg

Game set-up:

3 Mafia
14 Town

Deviation from vanilla games:

Each player begins the game with 100 credits.
In order to vote, you must place a bet that a certain player is guilty and must be lynched. ("wager")
You're allowed to wager between 1 credit and all your remaining credits.
Whoever has the most total credits wagered against them at the end of the round is lynched. (Think of each credit as one "vote")
If the person lynched is guilty, those credits are returned to the players who voted for that person.
If the person you wager money on is innocent, you lose those credits.
If your candidate you wagered on is not lynched, you lose those credits.
No Lynch and Abstain are not allowed. (You must wager 1 credit per round, or you lose automatically)
There are no mafia roles other than standard mafia.
The mafia are collectively allowed to murder once per night. It costs them nothing to do so.
There are no townie roles other than standard townie, except:
Each townie is allowed to, at night, spend 30 credits defending themselves from murder, or 40 credits defending someone else from murder.
This means defensive actions are possible, albeit extremely expensive.
You are not allowed to transfer credits to anyone.
You are allowed to add credits to your existing wager.
You are allowed to remove credits from your existing wager.
You're allowed to remove your wager altogether and place a new bet on someone else.

oh, one more thing:

If you are ever reduced to zero credits remaining, at any time, Askthepizzaguy bursts into the room and shoots you with his tommy gun.

Each vote must be placed carefully, and the amount of credits wagered must be thought about very carefully.
This makes for some unusual voting dynamics, and different scumtells than usual. People placing small wagers might be thought of as scummy. People who make sure their wagers come out on top might be thought of as scummy. Players who aim for that happy middle ground might be thought of as scummy.... who knows? Scumbags might try to spare themselves at the last minute by adding a lot to their wager. Townies might try to override that at the last minute, too. If this happens to be an innocent being lynched, with high wagers placed against that player, the town can be collectively devastated and unable to defeat the mafia. If the mafia starts off with 300 collective "votes" and the town starts off with 1400 collective "votes" then the town should be able to win, or they will be the ones who shot themselves in the foot. All that needs to happen is the right suspects need to die, and there needs to be enough being wagered to out-bet the mafia if they try to spare themselves.

Obviously the clock will be very important. :laugh4: And I will be merciless with the clock. The game will be very challenging, for both the town and the mafia.

Does this sound interesting?

Diamondeye
05-09-2010, 11:42
This sounds interesting.

Jolt
05-09-2010, 11:42
IT does appear quite interesting. An original and unusual mechanic to voting.

Romanic
05-09-2010, 11:45
You are gonna see a lot of last minute voting. Wise players will not bet more than 1 credit unless they are sure to get back their credits. Any team of organized people will be able to dominate the game if they coordinate last minute votes. Another thing, the hour when a turn end would play a big factor in this game. People at work or asleep will never be able to place/change a last minute vote and, will be greatly disadvantaged.

Askthepizzaguy
05-09-2010, 11:57
You are gonna see a lot of last minute voting. Wise players will not bet more than 1 credit unless they are sure to get back their credits. Any team of organized people will be able to dominate the game if they coordinate last minute votes. Another thing, the hour when a turn end would play a big factor in this game. People at work or asleep will never be able to place/change a last minute vote and, will be greatly disadvantaged.

Yes, for that round.

But they would be anyway in any game where they aren't at the computer and someone switches their votes and gets them lynched.

Besides, a lot of that last minute stuff is going to look scummy. And then guess who dies the next round.

Romanic
05-09-2010, 12:12
But they would be anyway in any game where they aren't at the computer and someone switches their votes and gets them lynched.

Yes, but in a normal game, you do not wager, so you can't lose anything by not being logged in at the end of a turn.

I'm worried about the game balance, but I'm in anyway.

Beskar
05-09-2010, 13:48
Definitely in if the rounds are pre-00:00 GMT.

Also, last minute voting isn't scummy, as a voting is going to save themself anyway, and if they were going to do, they die first round, they would just vote 90 of their votes against another person, to bump them off for sure.

Splitpersonality
05-09-2010, 16:47
It sounds interesting.

In.

ULC
05-09-2010, 23:08
No way to earn credits? Still, I could be in.

Askthepizzaguy
05-09-2010, 23:18
No way to earn credits? Still, I could be in.

You could consider voting a scumbag to death one way to earn credits, even though it is just equal to the number you bet.

Hmm..... Okay, when the scumbag dies, you also get all the credits you ever wagered against them back. Suppose you bet 5 credits against them round 1, but they didn't die. Later on, when they die, you get your credits back. That way there is no telltale sign they were guilty, but you still get credit (pardon the pun) for betting against them.

Sasaki Kojiro
05-09-2010, 23:55
Sound very interesting.

I think the defense credits could lead to game breaking though. If the town simply enforces a "mandatory 1 credit wager only (aka normal mafia)" then the entire town can self protect for three nights. It would be fine if no one tried to enforce that strategy though...maybe we could agree on no such silliness.

Askthepizzaguy
05-10-2010, 01:19
Sound very interesting.

I think the defense credits could lead to game breaking though. If the town simply enforces a "mandatory 1 credit wager only (aka normal mafia)" then the entire town can self protect for three nights. It would be fine if no one tried to enforce that strategy though...maybe we could agree on no such silliness.

Well, I suppose I could make the rule "you can only defend once". Seems fair to me.

But keep in mind, the mafia could simply choose not to murder, and that wastes townie credits when they anticipate death and it doesn't come. So even here, it isn't game breaking. It's just a game of chicken.

Askthepizzaguy
05-10-2010, 05:31
Just thought of something.

If the entire town self-protects for three nights, they are down 90 credits just from that, and 3 from voting, leaving them with 7 credits apiece. If even one mafioso is still alive, that mafioso seems to win automatically because they didn't waste their credits and they can out-bet the entire town for the rest of the game.

So yeah, the multi-self-protect strategy fails due to the way the game designed.

Sasaki Kojiro
05-10-2010, 07:32
Right--they can just say "hello, I'm mafia" and no one can do anything about it. I was thinking that if people broke free from the "1 credit vote" system they would be revealed as mafia, but in this case that doesn't hurt the mafia, because the would have immunity.

Edit: how about we delete these last few posts pizza, and you make me scum when this game comes around so I can suggest the strategy to the town

Askthepizzaguy
05-10-2010, 07:41
Edit: how about we delete these last few posts pizza, and you make me scum when this game comes around so I can suggest the strategy to the town

Wish I could. :beam:

Well, if someone is about to be lynched with several wagered credits on them, they might try to not only save themselves but also last-second lynch a mafia by themselves.

If they fail, they probably won't be able to do that again because the remaining people could all bet 8 credits or so on said person, and then s/he can't outbid that, so he dies.

If they succeed, they look a lot more innocent, and 1 mafia down. :beam:

There's certainly a lot of options and counter-strategies here.

Double A
05-10-2010, 20:44
This sounds like total crazyness.

That's an "in," by the way.

atheotes
05-12-2010, 18:12
Sound very INteresting. :bow:

ArpeggiateTHIS
07-28-2010, 14:01
IN IN IN IN.

Definitely.