PDA

View Full Version : Unit sizes

Mediteran
05-16-2010, 10:51
Sorry for all the threads i'm starting.. but what unit size do you play on? im pretty sure the majority plays on "ultra" right?

i usually always play on ultra, but i heard that they really make the game with medium in mind, so with medium the pathfinding and the ai is better? in ultra it kind of shuffles a lot. has anyone noticed this?

Fisherking
05-16-2010, 12:01
Yes.

In the earliest days of ETW they (CA) had said that the smaller the unit size the better the AI handles it.

I can’t say that it does much better on small and normal than it dose on large or ultra in NTW but it may be a little better.

My main issues with path finding are what they have been from STW or MTW. Units passing in the line of fire.

The larger sizes give a better feel to the game. It feels like you at least have companies and batteries rather than little detachments moving around the map.

Phog_of_War
05-16-2010, 19:21
Personaly, I use medium units. My vid card cant handle much more and still deliver a satisfying game experiance. The number of men in a unit and all the smoke effects and things cause an irritating slow down or it gets too choppy. I would love to have ultra size units in E/N:TW, it was awesome to have it that way playing Shogun, Med I & II for the "Braveheart" effect. Talking about it makes me want to drop cash on a new card lol.

Also as stated above, the AI does have some pathfinding issues with large units. IMO, its just a drop in the bucket compared with some of the other idocyncrancies(sp?), tics, and....frankly...retarded things the BAI does. Honestly the BAI in even the "BAI upgraded" Napoleon: TW, has yet to suprise me with its tactics, but that is a post/rant for another thread.