PDA

View Full Version : Non Mafia Game Brawl Royale

Chaotix
05-25-2010, 23:31
https://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww93/Chaotix2732/Brawl%20Royale/BrawlRoyaleWIP-2.jpg

This is the introductory/interest thread for my newest game concept, Brawl Royale. You may be able to guess right from the name: this game is going to be essentially a cross between Super Smash Bros Brawl and the famous Battle Royale series that has graced the game room.

I’ll give a general layout of what my current conception of the game is; this is rather lengthy so I’m putting extraneous sections in spoilers.

https://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww93/Chaotix2732/Brawl%20Royale/ssbbart.jpg

Each player will take the role of one of the 35 playable characters from Super Smash Bros. Brawl. For this reason, the game can handle up to 35 players at maximum, although for that I would need an assistant host. The game should function fine as long as I have at least 20 players.

The characters are:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Wario
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Samus
Pit
Ice Climbers
ROB
Kirby
Meta-Knight
King Dedede
Captain Olimar
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Captain Falcon
Pikachu
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Jigglypuff
Marth
Ike
Ness
Lucas
Mr. Game & Watch
Solid Snake
Sonic the Hedgehog

Players will start off in one of the many “rooms” that make up the Great Maze. During each phase or turn, each player will pm me the actions that they wish to do for that phase. These can include conditional orders, based on whether or not the players meets or interacts with another player or stage object. Most players will be able to move to any adjacent room over the course of one phase. Some of the larger rooms are split into subsections; these can be moved through without using up the “movement point” of the turn.

The goal of the game is to get to the center room, and then to defeat the final boss, Tabuu. However, there is a catch: the door will only open for a group of 6 players at maximum, and Tabuu is a hard boss as well- the group should preferably have at least three players or otherwise have some sort of a special trick up their sleeve. Furthermore, although players of opposing alignments may work together throughout the game, any group that enters the door will have to be all of the same alignment. These two mechanics will force the players both to compete with each other and to form alliances, as both are necessary for victory. The key to winning is finding the right balance between friendliness and belligerence.

Of course, the game isn’t just as simple as that. Each character has different attributes, including the aforementioned alignment, which ranges from Good to Neutral to Evil. Neutral characters have the distinction of being able to permanently shift their alignment to either side of the spectrum- but I will stress that this is permanent; it can only be done once. Besides alignment, each character has a short list of several other characters that they cannot ally themselves with, as well as others that they cannot (read: will not unless in self-defense) kill. Most of the time, these are reciprocal between characters. Sometimes they are not, which can provide an interesting twist.

Characters have seven statistics that govern their overall performance in the game. There are four base stats and three attack stats.

BASE STATS:

Characters have four base stats- Power, Speed, Constitution, Recovery- as well as three attack stats- Ground, Aerial, and Grapple- all of which range from 1 to 10, and are based on the characters’ in-game abilities. Each character also has four Special Attacks, which have a unique effect and damage for each character. Most characters will be balanced on a basis of a set number of points to be distributed between all attributes- some break that rule, but usually have another handicap weighing them down anyway.

Now to explain each of the eight stats: Power, in conjunction with any of the selected attack stats, determines how much damage a character can dish out. A low power stat does not mean a character is necessarily weak, because a high attack stat can counter that; in just the same way, a low attack stat can counter a high power stat. Damage in the Smash Bros. games is determined by a percentage level (%). As the % gets higher and higher, the player is knocked farther and farther away with each subsequent attack. 100% is not a maximum; damage will keep rising past that. The player dies when he/she is knocked clear off of the screen. More on this in later stats.

Speed is used for a lot of things. First, it determines your relative running speed. Certain super-fast characters will be able to traverse two rooms during one phase. A very slow character might even take a whole phase just to travel one section of a room. Second, it factors in with the Ground Attack stat in determining the chance to hit an opponent. Speed will also, along with the Recovery stat, determine how a character will fare in both employing and against stealth tactics. One character, of course, will be naturally stealthy without concern to the two stats. Finally, it also factors in with Constitution in determining the ability to avoid enemy attacks.

Constitution is the stat that determines, all at once, the size and weight of your character’s body. This will become a factor in the success of Grapple Attacks, where body mass is very important. It has many other uses as well: Characters with a low Constitution will probably find it easy to avoid attacks due to their small size. Because of their low weight, they will fall slower and be less likely to die in a bottomless pit (GASP!). On the flip side, however, they will be smacked around very easily by enemy attacks. As you might expect from a character with a higher Constitution stat, he/she will be relatively easy to hit, and will fall faster, but will also be able to withstand more damage than a lighter character. Characters with a Constitution of 4 will usually be KO’d if they are hit after reaching 100%. For each point higher or lower, add or subtract 10%- you have the damage level at which your character will be KO’d if they are hit. So while a 10-Constitution character can reach 160% before he/she is KO’d, for a 1-Constitution character it will take only a hit after 70%.

The Recovery stat is basically another word for “Jump”- it is derived from the term “recover,” which in Smash Bros. means to return to the stage after being knocked off through the use of mid-air jumps or other aerial techniques. It determines the height that a character can jump, and in that affects several other attributes. First off, it affects the accuracy of Aerial Attacks. Additionally, with the Constitution stat, it factors into an attempt to escape from a bottomless pit. With the Speed stat, it determines ability to be stealthy. Finally, there are also a few vertical “rooms” inside the maze. A character with a low Recovery stat might take twice as long to travel up (but not down) one of these rooms than one with a higher Recovery stat. This can be crucial in escape or chase tactics. A fast character might be caught in a vertical room because of a low Recovery, while a slower one with a high recovery can use the room to escape easily.

ATTACK STATS:

The Ground Attacks stat governs the effectiveness of attacks that are used- cookie for the one who guessed it- on the ground. It factors in with Power to determine the damage such attacks deal, and with Speed to determine chance to hit. Ground Attacks tend to have a general advantage over Aerial Attacks while they are at a disadvantage against Grapple Attacks.

The Aerial Attacks stat is not much different from Ground Attacks. It still uses Power to determine the amount of damage those attacks will do; it uses Recovery instead of Speed, however, in determining hit-chance. You already know they are somewhat disadvantageous to use against Ground Attacks; to complete the triangle they are powerful against Grapple Attacks.

Now to detail Grapple Attacks. For those unaware of the term, “Grapple” is synonymous with attacks involving grabbing and/or throwing opponents. For this reason, Constitution governs the hit chance of a Grapple attack, while Power as usual factors into the damage dealt. As was previously mentioned, Grapple Attacks are useful against Ground Attacks but not against Aerial Attacks.

There are also unique battle abilities known as “Special Attacks”.

SPECIAL ATTACKS:

Special Attacks are a different story entirely from the other three attack stats. Each character has four unique Special Attacks, each with its own effects, and each independent of the Power stat for damage and accuracy, if the given Special Attack is even really used for attack. Some Special Attacks may be defensive or recovery-based in nature. Usually, at least one of a character’s Special Attacks can be considered its “ace in the hole”.

Besides the given stats, most characters will have a unique attribute- this could be anything within the limits of the game, so expect the unexpected.

There will also be obstacles in the way of the unlucky adventurers.

THE GREAT MAZE:

The Great Maze has been cleared of conventional enemies, but there are other obstacles to overcome. In lieu of the “Danger Zones” from Battle Royale, at the beginning of every phase several rooms will be designated as “Boss Zones”. Any players in the room at the end of the phase will be forced to fight one of the nine normal bosses of Smash Bros. If there are many players in the room, the fight may be fairly one-sided- but if there is only one, that player can expect to take a lot of damage- and possibly be KO’d. Most bosses will be destroyed after they are defeated; in keeping with the story of the game itself, there may be several variations. If all of the bosses wind up defeated before the end of the game, something more sinister may begin to appear in the designated Boss Zones instead- and I will be keeping that a secret. There is an upside to these battles, though, of course- each defeated boss will yield a single Golden Treasure Chest.

And that brings me to my next point. Treasure Chests are where you can expect to find some of the most useful and sought-after objects in the game: the items. There will be a set number of treasure chests at the beginning of the game, and as soon as the first one is opened, a new chest will appear every phase- players will be able to vote on the area they wish it to appear, much like air-lifted supplies in Battle Royale. Each treasure chest contains a random item, including but not limited to any item in Smash Bros. There are a few that I have added in for my own purposes, but the vast majority of them are genuine Smash Bros. items. The Golden Treasure Chests will contain especially rare and useful items.

Expect to find Heart Containers or Maxim Tomatoes that will heal your damage %, Pokeballs and Assist Trophies that will create potential helper characters for you, and also some of the less-useful items, as well as those that may be worse than useless in a given circumstance. Finally, there is the elusive Smash Ball, which will unlock a unique, one-time super-technique for the player that quite literally smashes it. Items can be gifted, traded, and stolen- just because you have one does not necessarily mean you will keep it. In some cases, it may be better to use an item that you were saving rather than let it fall into an enemy’s hands. Most players will be able to carry only two items with them- if you find any more than that, you may have to leave it behind or otherwise give an excess item to an ally.

In lieu of the usual grid that is used for the Battle Royale games, Brawl Royale will use a map that stays true to the video game- it is the same Great Maze that comes at the end of the game. Here’s a map of the maze. Eventually this will be detailed with numbers for the different rooms.

(Large Image)

https://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww93/Chaotix2732/Brawl%20Royale/GreatMazeDetail.jpg

I will also have a detailed map of my own that shows the different terrain types of each sector in the maze- this is something that you won’t get to see, but will be notified of upon entering each room.

-----------------------------------------------
Well, that’s the general concept of this game. I hope to start it in late June or July, and I really hope you guys will join it and make this game as great as it should be.

I’m not going to post a sign-up list just yet, but if this thread spills over onto a second page then I will do so. Unless I’m getting more than 25 people to play, you can assume that I won’t need an assistant host for anything.

I’m also open to any suggestions you’ve got!

-----------------------------------------------

Reserved (Pre-Sign-Up)
Double A
Askthepizzaguy
Beskar
Beefy187
Secura
Cultured Drizzt fan
Winston Hughes
splitpersonality

This is not a sign up list, it's just my way of keeping track of those interested in the game before they can technically sign up. Spots will be held for these guys for at least a few days after sign-ups start. Honestly, I don't expect there to be a massive rush for this, though.

Beefy187
05-26-2010, 00:19
PK Fire!! PK Fire! PK...THUNDERS!

Double A
05-26-2010, 00:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcP91tQ4ZSM

edit: I think you should replace Jiggilypuff with Mewtwo.

His smash attack could be Hyper Beam, I guess.

Askthepizzaguy
05-26-2010, 08:58
Yep, you guessed it....

https://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/askthepizzaguy/EPYC/bowser.jpg

BWA-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH

DID YOU REALLY THINK THAT YOU WERE RID OF ME??? I'M THE LEAN, GREEN, PLUMBER-CRUSHING MACHINE. JUST CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME BICEPS!!! I AM THE MOST AWESOME VILLAIN OF THEM ALL, AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!!! I'M HANDSOME!!! I'M CHARMING!!! AND I'M A GENIUS!!! BUT MOST OF ALL, I'M HUNGRY... I THINK I'LL HAVE ROASTED PLUMBER WITH A SIDE OF MUSHROOMS!!!

ONCE I WIPE THE FLOOR WITH THOSE GOOD FOR NOTHING DO-GOODERS, PRINCESS PEACH WILL HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO BE MY CONSORT!!! :evil: WHO COULD RESIST A GORGEOUS GUY LIKE MYSELF???

Double A
05-26-2010, 12:15
OSH-

I'd be willing to play as Ganondorf for that.

Chaotix
05-26-2010, 19:47
I'm pretty sure that, in order to be fair, I've gotta assign the characters randomly...

Secura
05-26-2010, 20:00
I'd like a Brawl Royale with cheese, please.

What? Someone had to say it! Anyways, I'll be watching this game with interest, might even sign up... I think people should be allowed to pick a character though. Sorta like a first choice, then alternates in case that is taken, or something. I'd be all over ZSS if that was the case, love the character. <3

Askthepizzaguy
05-26-2010, 20:31
I'm pretty sure that, in order to be fair, I've gotta assign the characters randomly...

:cry:

If I end up being Pit or ROB I'm going to be a sad panda.

Cultured Drizzt fan
05-26-2010, 21:20
This sounds awesome..... :yes:

Secura
05-26-2010, 21:43
:cry:

If I end up being Pit or ROB I'm going to be a sad panda.

Pit is awesome!

Winston Hughes
05-26-2010, 22:16
This sounds awesome..... :yes:

Yes. Yes it does.

Double A
05-26-2010, 22:24
Pit is awesome!

I wouldn't know, I can't get any games he's in.

OR MOTHER FREAKING 3.

Secura
05-26-2010, 23:18
I wouldn't know, I can't get any games he's in.

Well, he's in Brawl anyway.

I'm more of a ZSS/Pikachu player, but Pit's not too bad... he's easy to get back to the stage with anyway. xD

Beefy187
05-26-2010, 23:37
Any Yoshi players around?
Lets hip drop together!

Double A
05-27-2010, 00:44
Yoshi was cooler in Melee.

Why? Because everything was cooler in Melee.

Splitpersonality
05-27-2010, 01:10
I thought I was co-host? :cry:

If not, I'm definitely in :o

Chaotix
05-27-2010, 02:49
I thought I was co-host? :cry:

If not, I'm definitely in :o

I offered you assistant host a loooong time ago, and I remember you accepting it and then deciding to drop it because you would be hosting your own games.

If I wind up getting more than 25 people signed up, you're welcome to be my assistant, but otherwise I think I can handle it all on my own.

EDIT:

I may decide to let people choose their players, but I don't want there to be arguments over who gets who. If I can be absolutely assured that no-one will throw a hissy fit over not getting to play as Luigi, then I suppose I can do this. However, you have to keep in mind that while all characters are generally on a level playing field, some are slightly better than others, etc- and I can't just let someone choose to have an advantage over everyone else...

Splitpersonality
05-27-2010, 03:14
I never declined it lol, I just said that I was going to host my game in my free time since you were going to wait longer than we said to start this game.

Either way.

Chaotix
05-30-2010, 00:15
UPDATE:

Many of you who've been in my games know that I like to accompany my write-ups with music. Brawl Royale will be no exception, and I'd like to get the best songs to play in any situation.

I already have the entire Super Smash Bros Brawl soundtrack at my disposal. However, I'm also going to incorporate extra stuff if it's good enough.

So, if you'd like to help out... then post youtube or newgrounds links to music here in this thread! Preferably, the music should be from video games, but other music is fine, too, so long as it's all instrumental. If I like the songs, there's a very good chance you'll see them in Brawl write-ups.

Double A
05-30-2010, 00:19
I have the perfect song for the most epic fights in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B64f48ewdo

And for the inevitable Pokemon battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK-2JvB2R5w

Chaotix
05-30-2010, 01:04
!!!!

I loved Baten Kaitos! One of the weirdest games I've ever played.

Double A
05-30-2010, 04:11
Yeah, me too. I STILL don't understand the plot.

It's worse than Halo 3... sheesh.

Oh, and of course there's all the monsters and crap... and the Trio. They're so weird, but at the same time, so fear-inspiring.

Double A
06-11-2010, 00:40
So anyone else like DK the best?

I like juggling people with the ground slappy move.

Chaotix
06-11-2010, 18:28
For me, DK has the unlucky combination of being both slow and without projectile attacks. I need either speed or projectiles to get by, usually.

My favorite is Toon Link- basically a huge improvement over Young Link in Melee, who I also used.

Others that I like to play as: Mario, Yoshi, Kirby, Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Olimar, and Dedede on some days.

Double A
06-11-2010, 20:05
DK doesn't need projectiles, he can grab barrels, crates, and people with no movement penalty, and he can take a crapton of damage to boot.

What's the difference between Toon Link and Young Link, and both of them between Link?

Beskar
06-12-2010, 00:36
I may decide to let people choose their players, but I don't want there to be arguments over who gets who. If I can be absolutely assured that no-one will throw a hissy fit over not getting to play as Luigi, then I suppose I can do this. However, you have to keep in mind that while all characters are generally on a level playing field, some are slightly better than others, etc- and I can't just let someone choose to have an advantage over everyone else...

Make it first come first serve.

On that note, put me down for Snake. :tongue:

(also, don't post which are better than others, then no one can do that.)

Double A
06-12-2010, 00:50
Chaotix, is Jigglypuff on the bottom of the "best character" list?

Askthepizzaguy
06-12-2010, 00:55
Chaotix, is Jigglypuff on the bottom of the "best character" list?

Are you kidding? You can beat as many level-9 computer opponents as you wish, just jump in the air and do that downward kick combo, then a smash attack. Unless they are a heavyweight, they can't take two sets of those without being toast.

Little puffball is a beast in the right hands. At least he was in the original SSB.

Double A
06-12-2010, 01:13
Both Yoshi and Kirby have the floaty jump, and their special moves are EPICLY better. Yoshi has the super egg wheel, and Kirby has the absorb thing plus the sword wave thing.

Askthepizzaguy
06-12-2010, 01:29
Both Yoshi and Kirby have the floaty jump, and their special moves are EPICLY better. Yoshi has the super egg wheel, and Kirby has the absorb thing plus the sword wave thing.

Never could get Yoshi to reliably do the downward combo. It works when it does work, but I can rarely get it to work.

I like Kirby though. My brother could never beat me when I was Kirby. Jump is unbeatable, special attacks are unbeatable, smash attacks are awesome, good agility and move set. Easy to avoid taking damage.

Double A
06-12-2010, 01:44
What about Link's down smash?

Askthepizzaguy
06-12-2010, 01:52
What about Link's down smash?

Mmm.... Link's down smash.... *drool* *gurgle*

"Death from above"? There's nothing sweeter.... it's better than his danged special attacks, which are very badass.

Double A
06-12-2010, 01:56
I think I've KO'd people at 50% with that... it's the attack of GODS.

Chaotix
06-12-2010, 02:36
Make it first come first serve.

On that note, put me down for Snake. :tongue:

(also, don't post which are better than others, then no one can do that.)

If I am going to let people choose their characters, here's how I've determined it's gonna work:

-Players will send their top three character selections to me via private message.
-Players are not allowed to share between each other what their choices are.
-I will attempt to give everyone one out of their top 3. If that's not possible, I randomize the whole thing.

This way, if everyone does as I ask and keeps their choices private, I avoid all meta-gaming before the game actually starts, while still managing to please the players.

Don't send me your choices now- wait until I post a sign-up list, then you can do that.

Double A
06-12-2010, 08:12
If you don't change Mewtwo for someone who is completely pointless to the game (read: the Ice Climbers) I will boycott your game!

Final smash could be Landmaster some ridiculously overpowered psychic move... Googling Pokemon wiki... searching for Psychic... scrolling down page... ah, here we are! Psycho Boost: power: 140.

POWER 140!? THAT'S LIKE A FRIKKIN HYPER BEAM! JEZUS!

seireikhaan
06-12-2010, 08:19
If you don't change Mewtwo for someone who is completely pointless to the game (read: the Ice Climbers) I will boycott your game!

Final smash could be Landmaster some ridiculously overpowered psychic move... Googling Pokemon wiki... searching for Psychic... scrolling down page... ah, here we are! Psycho Boost: power: 140.

POWER 140!? THAT'S LIKE A FRIKKIN HYPER BEAM! JEZUS!
er... I agree? I'd prefer to have Mewtwo instead of Lucario.

Double A
06-12-2010, 08:28
Yeah.

I think the only difference would be Lucario being Good and Mewtwo being EVIIIIIL.

seireikhaan
06-12-2010, 08:43
Yeah.

I think the only difference would be Lucario being Good and Mewtwo being EVIIIIIL.
And Mewtwo being awesome. :wink:

Okay, so he wasn't very good in smash bros, but that was severely unfair treatment. They should have made him like they did in Red and Blue, where he was a god. No weaknesses and the power to destroy worlds. :smitten:

Double A
06-12-2010, 09:19
I was quite good with Mewtwo... I rarely got KO'd. Partly because I had godly control over teleport, and partly because I always used my cousin as a meatshield.

Chaotix
06-13-2010, 00:02
This is a game about Super Smash Bros. Brawl, so as much as I like Mewtwo myself, he will not be playable in the game.

However, you will see Mewtwo in the game, because I have special plans for him. The playable roster remains the same, but there are such things as Assist Trophies and Boss Battles. I'll leave it up to you to guess at where he might be included.

Double A
06-14-2010, 02:50
He's too awesome to be an assist trophy (but then again so is Issac. Move!? COME ON, MOVE!? WHERE THE HELL'S RAGNAROK!?!)

Chaotix
06-14-2010, 05:21
He's too awesome to be an assist trophy (but then again so is Issac. Move!? COME ON, MOVE!? WHERE THE HELL'S RAGNAROK!?!)

Then again, you don't know how I intend to use Assist Trophies... :smug:

Double A
06-14-2010, 20:29
Since I said he was too awesome to be an assist trophy, I meant I thought he'd be a boss.

Chaotix
06-24-2010, 01:14
I'll be opening sign-ups for this game on June 30. They'll remain open for a week or so, however long it takes to get a good size cast.

EDIT: To Mods, I believe I'm going to use a new thread, so don't worry about this one.

Double A
06-24-2010, 01:18
So do we get to choose which character we are, or is it random?

Zack
06-24-2010, 02:29
I'm on vacation from the 5th to the 10th... will that be okay or am I going to miss the first few days of the game?

Chaotix
06-26-2010, 04:45
So do we get to choose which character we are, or is it random?

You get to choose, but there's no guarantee of you getting who you want.

Once I open sign-ups, I'm going to request a PM from each player giving me their top three choices. You're not allowed to discuss these choices with anyone else due to metagaming issues (i.e.- "Oh, you're picking Mario? I'll pick Luigi then and we can be allies!")

I'll try to give everyone one of their top three choices. If it's absolutely impossible for that to happen, I'm going to randomize the whole thing so there's no bias.

And that's as fair as I can make it while allowing choice of character.

I'm on vacation from the 5th to the 10th... will that be okay or am I going to miss the first few days of the game?

Hrmm... I think you will miss some of it, but you'll have time to sign up. I'm not going to rule you out since you're missing a few days. In all likelihood this game will be two or three days per phase, so you'll only miss one or two turns.

God Emperor
07-01-2010, 16:14
The orriginal super smash brothers, Captain Falcon >

Double A
07-02-2010, 03:17
What about him?

I love how my joke post was deleted :clown:

God Emperor
07-02-2010, 22:11
He was just awesome in that game.. though he was nerfed in the gamecube supersmash. ATPG however is right that jigglypuff is a super bubblegum, with extreeme speed.
ATPG most likely picked Bubblegum as his first choice! :turtle: (its just a cool smiley)
What ATPG missed out however was Jigglypuffs awful attacks

Double A
07-03-2010, 05:32
I'm pretty sure he wanted to be Bowser first, because of CoV. Then probably Link because of down smash, and then Jigglypuff because of... whatever reason he said why she was good.

I think I want to go play Orcana of Time again. Regular or Master Quest?

God Emperor
07-03-2010, 09:44
I'm pretty sure he wanted to be Bowser first, because of CoV. Then probably Link because of down smash, and then Jigglypuff because of... whatever reason he said why she was good.

I think I want to go play Orcana of Time again. Regular or Master Quest?

hmm. I never tried Master Quest :bigcry:
But the normal OOT is just wonderful. To be honest I thought of playing it again, when I woke up. though Navi's " liiiiiiiiiiiiisten to me!!! " is most dreadful ^^

Double A
07-04-2010, 01:47
Hm... I bet if I play master quest, I'll die more, thus I'll have to hear the beginning of a boss fight "Hey! Listen!" more times.

Regular it is!