What time would it start up?

Thoughts on features?

Sasaki Kojiro
05-31-2010, 03:38
Worth pursuing?

Most rhetorical question of all time.

Double A
05-31-2010, 04:13
Ok, I know I'm about as active in huge games as a damp cloth, even less so in some, but this would have my full attention.

Assuming it was in the summer and I wasn't in any other mafia games. Then it would just have 98% of my attention.

johnhughthom
05-31-2010, 21:15
Most rhetorical question of all time.

Indeed.

Secura
05-31-2010, 23:56
I wasn't a member of the forums when the previous three iterations were played, so I'd definitely like to play this one. :3

pevergreen
06-01-2010, 01:56
Not to put a damper, but what would make this one special?

Maybe its just my streak of getting killed rather early talking. :laugh4:

(Day 3 or 4 for CDTC 1, first lynch CDTC 2, The Stranger getting me killed in a few nights CDTC 3)

Sasaki Kojiro
06-01-2010, 02:53
My survivability has been amazing in those games for some reason. Although, persisting on the mafia side even when promoted to doctor might lead to an unfair early lynch next game.

KukriKhan
06-01-2010, 03:35
Things I like about "Tutti"-series:

1) the setting
2) the realism
3) everybody has something to do every day & night, even P.O.T.'s (plain old townies)
4) Seamus' writeups

So: Worth pursuing? Absolutely. I'd be glad to help, in any way needed

What time would it start up? Late summer enough time to construct (August doldrums, maybe)?

Thoughts on features? I'll get back to you.

Beskar
06-01-2010, 04:19
The biggest problem is the TIN issue. It seems it is always the same people forming TIN's, and if anyone else attempts to, the old guard attack them for it and stick to their cliques.

seireikhaan
06-01-2010, 04:30
Absolutely worth pursuing. Capo has always been an exemplary experience. So long as you feel you're up to it, I'd absolutely say its worth it.

Unsure about timing. First and foremost, what works for you, Seamus? Late summer worked splendidly, in my opinion. However, at the moment, we haven't got a full month slot open until next year, although there might be some shifting around that could be done in winter.

Askthepizzaguy
06-01-2010, 04:47
The biggest problem is the TIN issue. It seems it is always the same people forming TIN's, and if anyone else attempts to, the old guard attack them for it and stick to their cliques.

But the inevitability is that when the townies can perform actions, then networks will generally happen, to share information and compliment one another's behavior. And if you try to counter that by force, by removing key elements of the game which allow such behavior, then you basically cripple the entire townie group.

CDTC III would have been a landslide victory for the mafia if there was no TIN... even after hammering the mafia for what was it, 15-16 rounds straight, we hadn't gotten them all.

What may be useful is a very very slight, minor set of changes. I proposed many to Seamus but I don't know if he kept them. But basically, there are some tells that the detective can pick up, like the Don always appears innocent unless he's the only one left in his family. While I appreciate the idea, he should register normally if he's performed a vigilante kill. It's not easy being a Don, so that minor change frees them up.

I had some other good subtle changes which I think would be excellent. But, it is Seamus' game and I don't mind being surprised. I'd be up for it, of course, especially if there are minor changes which prevent the TIN from being so formidible. I still think I'll get bumped off right away so others can have a nice quiet game in peace though, and I won't be surprised about that.

I vote yes on Capo IV.

Beskar
06-01-2010, 04:54
But the inevitability is that when the townies can perform actions, then networks will generally happen, to share information and compliment one another's behavior. And if you try to counter that by force, by removing key elements of the game which allow such behavior, then you basically cripple the entire townie group.

I was meaning "I would prefer it wasn't the same old guard I can count on my left hand, I would prefer some one different." in a sense, some of those old guard taking a step backwards. :tongue:

Secura
06-01-2010, 05:33
I was meaning "I would prefer it wasn't the same old guard I can count on my left hand, I would prefer some one different." in a sense, some of those old guard taking a step backwards. :tongue:

This is essentially the main point I tried to make prior to my election as Naib in Daggers in the Night; while they're very good, valued players, it would be refreshing to see a wider span of arguments and theories. It'd be nice if players looked at all posts in a game, rather than "let's look for the avatar of a dead guy or a grinning samurai", because that's where they know they'll find analysis... anyone else who posts constructively like that is labled as scummy (see Romanic lately, for example).

Sorry to derail the thread further. >.<

Splitpersonality
06-01-2010, 06:03
I vote a resounding yes on worthwileness (idc if that's a word or not)

I had a ball playing Capo 3, the writeups, the atmosphere, everything about it is just fantastic, and I would not miss the chance to play in another.

:bow:

Crazed Rabbit
06-01-2010, 06:21
Worth pursuing?

Worth pursuing? Good sir, is air worth breathing? Is water worth drinking? Is food worth eating? Is life worth living? Yes, sir, a thousand times yes.

What time would it start up?

Thoughts on features?

I would repeat what's been said about letting the mafia blend in easier with the townies. In Capo 3 the supposed benefits of made men and dons. Having them show different results to investigation from townies and wiseguys only served to have them be picked out easier. I tried to combat that in The Shadow Fort by having results be similar for investigations of different people, returning info on whether they had killed someone or not, not if they were guilty or innocent. This allowed the townie network to methodically hunt down the mafia. I also wonder if having more than one, or even one, detective is necessary.

Further, I also tried to prevent a relapse of the FBI and CIA from Capo 3, sent to hunt commies, ganging up on the mafia. One way I did this was to make there detective results useful only in finding the people they were hunting.

CR

TinCow
06-01-2010, 12:07
Thoughts on features?

Perhaps consider fewer mafia families that are more complex. Three is still a very decent number of families, and the extra scum can go to bulking up the three families instead of making two extra ones.

Sasaki Kojiro
06-01-2010, 13:23
Perhaps consider fewer mafia families that are more complex. Three is still a very decent number of families, and the extra scum can go to bulking up the three families instead of making two extra ones.

I think that's a good idea--one of the tough things for the mafia is having to recruit before they can kill (often getting outed right at the start of the game). Have three families of 4 would good I think. It also makes it harder for them to ally with each other.

Reenk Roink
06-01-2010, 18:51
I'd plan on playing Capo 4 and I'm pretty sure the chat people would come along, dunno when will be the best time for you to start it but late summer sounds nice as Mafia might be a bit more fresh by then too. :bow:

Maybe I've been playing too much GTA4 but I think a good idea would be to have families of different strengths at the start. Say one family would be weak with just a don and a made and another would have two mades to start killing immediately. One of the best things about the original Capo was the family solidarity. Unlike Capo 3 where families worked together, the Barzini's steamrolled the other two families first.

Also, for the recruitment, if I understand it, the incorruptible townie was placed in Capo 3 to stop the mass recruitment that happened in the previous game, but what ended up happening is that barely any townies converted, so the reverse situation occurred. Perhaps you might consider a townie/wiseguy who is already affiliated with a family. They are only townie/wiseguy in detective results and ability, but they essentially work for the family as delayed mades, they have to get experience to become deadly. This might be the way to go to differentiate family strength as well, a strong family would have several townie members where a weak one would have nobody.

Of course, one of the beauties of Capo is the normal townie who has a choice on whether to help the town, join a family, or do a bit of both. I generally support the idea of unwilling conversion because it is simpler to manage and doesn't open up a box of other problems, but if there's one game that should do willing conversion, it is Capo. :yes:

Also, I don't understand the resentment towards the town network. It is an integral part of Capo, which was the first game to bring it in a large way. It makes the game as a townie a lot more fun and engaging. I wouldn't change a thing, except perhaps take GH's way of protection in PSM where one protection group blocks one and only one kill attempt.

The town network in itself is not at all the reason the Mafia had a tough time in Capo 3, it was the many Mafia deaths early in the game way before the town network was fully consolidated. Add that to the fact that recruitment was thin and the Mafia simply did not have the manpower to defeat the town network.

The families obviously had infiltrated the town network badly and then outplayed it, and that is why the game lasted as long as it did and ratted out people survived for so long, but what could they do with only 1-2 kills per night? How do you bring it down even if you've got the info, if you don't have the manpower?

It takes 3 or 4 townies to do a single action, so a town network can only work when the town vastly outnumbers the Mafia. Given how Seamus sets the initial ratios, it seems quite balanced that way, the Mafia just can't get killed so fast like they did in Capo 3, it made all their good play in the later stages worthless. :shrug:

TinCow
06-01-2010, 21:08
One thing that might be interesting would be to simply shift the focus completely away from town vs. mafia and instead make it all mafia vs. mafia. The name of the game is, after all, Capo de Tutti Capi. When I read that, I think of stuff like this:

http://brotherpeacemaker.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/don-corleone-and-the-five-families.jpg

The meeting of the five families in Godfather I. Perhaps no one at all is town, and every single player is a mafioso. Don't even bother with the 'innocent townie' roles, just make mafia roles of various ranks which people can climb. The general objective to the game is simply to stop the inevitable carnage, either by having one family eliminate all the others, or by there being a peace agreed by all surviving Dons. This can be made difficult by giving some families vendettas against each other (read: mandatory victory conditions to eliminate another family). Other roles can contribute to make peace difficult, perhaps by allowing families to frame other families for kills and such.

In essence, such a situation would almost be a reverse of the original Capo concept. Instead of townies that can go mafia, the mafia can instead go 'town' by working to stop the killing. The question of whether individual families pursue that objective or go for a unilateral victory could be interesting. Provided that there are enough roles that have to kill to win, there should be enough chaos to make strategic choice of peace versus war an interesting one.

Anyway, just a thought.

Double A
06-01-2010, 21:26
Both Reenk and TC's ideas seem just plain awesome... I need to go lie down or else my head might explode...

Kagemusha
06-01-2010, 21:30
I still have a large stone in my shoe because of the events in Capo III, that led to the demise of our mafia faction, so i would be more then anxious to have a go once again. Maybe this time i will go pro town.

Askthepizzaguy
06-01-2010, 21:34
Maybe this time i will go pro town.

Anyone who says this is automatically lynched round one. :laugh4:

There's no way I will trust a guy who's like... yeah... maybe I'll go for the peaceful victory... yeah... that's the ticket.... *rubs hands evilly*

Sasaki Kojiro
06-01-2010, 21:34
I think more wise guys and less VT's could edge the game towards what TinCow described. Mafia vs Mafia vs Mafia vs Town, with each faction having about the same power. The little tweaks of godfather appearing guilty after vig kill, CIA type roles only getting results on their targets, multiple kills overriding protections, etc, would help the balance too.

The fun of capo is that you can get a group of allies together and become a mafia family, no matter what you start as. I think a good tweak would be to allow doctors and detectives to join a family if they wanted too.

To help the town out, it could be changed so that vigging mafia made a townie or wise guy into a rogue detective. Because cop/vig combo is a very appealing role. Rogue detectives would be a pure town role.

4 mafia families--
Don
Luca
Made
Wise Guy

Mafia start with killing power (but can still protect the don). Choice between having the made investigate and the wise guy infiltrate, or having them team up to to get some early kills and the wise guy promoted--which gives three mades and a chance at recovery if the don goes down.

2 doctors
2 cops
--don't have to be town aligned...mafia movies always have a mafia doctor, and cops on the payroll. They can ally with a family, or play both sides against each other.

I think an SK throws a bit of a random wrench in the works. Or maybe I'm biased since it was the SK who killed LG and dealt a death blow to the mafia...but in the first capo I think it was the SK who knocked out a ton of mafia after allying with the town. They are too much of a wildcard, and if an SK is outed the best tactic is for the town to say--you kill who we want or we lynch you, and then the town gets a vig.

So, the secret role/3rd party faction should be different I think.

That's about like 25 players...divide the rest up 3 wise guys for each townie...it makes the town just another faction rather than the default "you'd better be good!" faction.

Andres
06-01-2010, 21:41
One thing that might be interesting would be to simply shift the focus completely away from town vs. mafia and instead make it all mafia vs. mafia. The name of the game is, after all, Capo de Tutti Capi. When I read that, I think of stuff like this:

http://brotherpeacemaker.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/don-corleone-and-the-five-families.jpg

The meeting of the five families in Godfather I. Perhaps no one at all is town, and every single player is a mafioso. Don't even bother with the 'innocent townie' roles, just make mafia roles of various ranks which people can climb. The general objective to the game is simply to stop the inevitable carnage, either by having one family eliminate all the others, or by there being a peace agreed by all surviving Dons. This can be made difficult by giving some families vendettas against each other (read: mandatory victory conditions to eliminate another family). Other roles can contribute to make peace difficult, perhaps by allowing families to frame other families for kills and such.

In essence, such a situation would almost be a reverse of the original Capo concept. Instead of townies that can go mafia, the mafia can instead go 'town' by working to stop the killing. The question of whether individual families pursue that objective or go for a unilateral victory could be interesting. Provided that there are enough roles that have to kill to win, there should be enough chaos to make strategic choice of peace versus war an interesting one.

Anyway, just a thought.

I think this is a brilliant idea :2thumbsup:

Kagemusha
06-01-2010, 21:53
Anyone who says this is automatically lynched round one. :laugh4:

There's no way I will trust a guy who's like... yeah... maybe I'll go for the peaceful victory... yeah... that's the ticket.... *rubs hands evilly*

The game has not started yet my dear pizza. But once or twice you know a long time a go i actually had few pro town roles in mafia and that was fun.:yes:

Sasaki Kojiro
06-01-2010, 21:54
Last capo pizza swore he was going mafia in the next game.

Askthepizzaguy
06-01-2010, 22:02
Last capo pizza swore he was going mafia in the next game.

Which of course means I will go pro-town this time, mwahahah....

But because I am Askthepizzaguy, that's obviously another bluff, so I must be mafia.

Or am I?

Kagemusha
06-01-2010, 22:13
Which of course means I will go pro-town this time, mwahahah....

But because I am Askthepizzaguy, that's obviously another bluff, so I must be mafia.

Or am I?

Ok so it will be another heads up from turn one onwards! FOS ATPG!

Double A
06-01-2010, 22:20
Hey you're not the guy who asks the questions, we ask you the questions! Read your own name, gosh.

Seamus Fermanagh
06-02-2010, 02:04
Okay. I'll begin this thing.

PLEASE keep the suggestions coming. When I am revamping things I do look at all sorts of input -- and I had even brainstormed a few of those mentioned above.

The central problems include: preventing a townie group or mafia coalition or new family from forming so easiliy and completely (part of the fun of the game is working to build such, but it shouldn't happen too easily).

A slightly reduced number of families (depending on sign-ups). I really think that I need about 25 people per family, so I'll probably not cap the playing numbers and hope for 125 plus. Not sure I philosophically agree with varied strength families at outset, but perhaps a 4th starter...hmmm.

Good ideas folks. Thanks.

Do I need to formally request a slot on the sign-up list or will announcement here and negotiations herein for a slot suffice?

TinCow
06-02-2010, 03:33
I really think that I need about 25 people per family, so I'll probably not cap the playing numbers and hope for 125 plus.

That's.... a big number. With any group that large, there are likely to be a significant number of WOGs. Might want to take that into account in the balancing.

Seamus Fermanagh
06-02-2010, 03:43
That's.... a big number. With any group that large, there are likely to be a significant number of WOGs. Might want to take that into account in the balancing.

I do. I was going with a 1 family per 15 in the original capo -- didn't fly smoothly enough to suit me.

Askthepizzaguy
06-02-2010, 04:47
I do. I was going with a 1 family per 15 in the original capo -- didn't fly smoothly enough to suit me.

I tend to agree with Tincow... but it depends on what you're doing and how strong the families are and how many people start in the family.

I might lean towards 20 per family as a starting point.

Kagemusha
06-02-2010, 09:36
Well maybe you could have a FBI task force as one of the factions, kind of a pro town faction that could recruit townies and wiseguys, just like mafia factions could.

johnhughthom
06-02-2010, 16:06
Well maybe you could have a FBI task force as one of the factions, kind of a pro town faction that could recruit townies and wiseguys, just like mafia factions could.

Kage, you're a genius. That would have been awesome last time out.

Secura
06-02-2010, 16:51
I'll probably not cap the playing numbers and hope for 125 plus.

I've never seen a game reach fifty signups yet in the last six months of being here, so 125 seems like a bit of a stretch.

Do we even have that many people active in the Gameroom? Could one person really handle the administrative aspects of a game with that sort of magnitude? o_O'

johnhughthom
06-02-2010, 17:18
There were 76 players last time out, we have had the CFC invasion since then and TWC has had a recent revival so we could get some from there. 125 might not be as far-fetched as it sounds.

Sasaki Kojiro
06-02-2010, 17:19
Yeah, I think it was amazing that we managed to hit 80. 76 :p

TinCow
06-02-2010, 17:28
I've never seen a game reach fifty signups yet in the last six months of being here, so 125 seems like a bit of a stretch.

Do we even have that many people active in the Gameroom? Could one person really handle the administrative aspects of a game with that sort of magnitude? o_O'

The Capo games bring out people who don't normally play in the Gameroom. 70 to 80 players is likely. 125 is something of a staggering goal, but if any game can do it Capo can.

Secura
06-02-2010, 18:54
The Capo games bring out people who don't normally play in the Gameroom.

It would be nice if just a handful of those played here more often, because then we wouldn't have a case where hosts are having to cut roles out or heavily amend as a result; Noblesse Oblige and Beefdom Will Rise Once More! come to mind when I think of this. That's not counting all the people who sign up and then don't play at all or sign up but post once in a blue moon, no names required.

Sorry for being sceptical. :/

Subotan
06-02-2010, 19:04
It would be nice if just a handful of those played here more often, because then we wouldn't have a case where hosts are having to cut roles out or heavily amend as a result; Noblesse Oblige, Beefdom Will Rise Once More! and A Bridge Zhou Far I come to mind when I think of this. That's not counting all the people who sign up and then don't play at all or sign up but post once in a blue moon, no names required.

Sorry for being sceptical. :/
Your point was just so good, I had to post it again.

Askthepizzaguy
06-02-2010, 19:33
Basically I would do a big huge recruitment drive over at TWC and CFC. I have some influence there and lots of CFC friends who could help spread the word that this game is awesome.

I could pretty much guarantee at least 10 new players, or my name isn't Askthepizzaguy.

These would all be experienced mafia players too.

Crazed Rabbit
06-02-2010, 19:41
Reenk is right in that (if the town still exists in the game, ie we're not going with Tincow's idea) the townie network is important. However, it's important that their success is based on their actions - who they attack or defend - and detecting mafia without simply using the process of deduction by determining who was doing night actions and who wasn't. Having the mafia able to do a second night action, killing a target, if sponsored by their don would stop this.

CR

Seamus Fermanagh
06-02-2010, 19:48
One of the things I am happiest about with the Capo series is that it has done quite a bit to bring new players into the Gameroom.

Andres was drafted in game one, and we had Banquo and Louis playing -- Andres going on to become a GR stalwart.

In and around game two we got Elite Ferret, gibson, Glenn, Kukri, scottish ranger, TinCow and even Makanyane (wish she'd stayed).

Capo III brought in atheotes, CDF, Skooma, and Yaro...

100 is quite likely with a bit of effort and 150 is not impossible -- though 'pizza is correct that it would take a bit of marketing. Its actually one of the aspects of Capo I have a lot of fun with -- the number of combinations on nights 1-3 is a little staggering. Add in a little paranoid ambiguity and you have a recipe for some real fun!

Reenk Roink
06-02-2010, 20:06
The central problems include: preventing a townie group or mafia coalition or new family from forming so easiliy and completely (part of the fun of the game is working to build such, but it shouldn't happen too easily).

I think having the family affiliated townie will help to solve both these problems. These townies will pad the Mafia's numbers without a major addition (like an extra made), and will be able to progress to more powerful abilities, only after time and effort, while at the same time, having an easier time infiltrating the townie organizations and gaining an alibi, and thus the townie network will have to be more cautious about who to accept and more discerning about alibis.

Double A
06-02-2010, 21:28
Basically I would do a big huge recruitment drive over at TWC and CFC. I have some influence there and lots of CFC friends who could help spread the word that this game is awesome.

I could pretty much guarantee at least 10 new players, or my name isn't Askthepizzaguy.

These would all be experienced mafia players too.

And I can bug everyone I know from GSTK and the TWC M2 section. Maybe some of them'll sign up.

Seamus Fermanagh
06-02-2010, 23:03
Construction Ideas

Mafia Family Ratio will be 1 per 25 players (1 Town or 3rd party "family" possible)

I've swatted up a tentative matrix for all of the basic roles:

Basic idea is that each player has a group attack value, a personal defense value, a defend other value, and some have solo attack values. Still need 2 or more to group to attack if mafia, 3 or more for neutrals and town. Values added and compared with defense values to generate results (matrix largely replicates the "normal" results).

Also listed is the players base value if investigated by a criminal or by a lawman. I'm planning on players having a base value which is permanently adjusted based on role change or certain reactions within a role and temporarily adjusted each night to reflect activity. i.e., if you are laying low, you will not appear to be guilty, only unclear.

Detectives will end up with a bit faster promotion track, townies to Made a touch slower, others about the same.

Seamus Fermanagh
06-02-2010, 23:07
I think having the family affiliated townie will help to solve both these problems. These townies will pad the Mafia's numbers without a major addition (like an extra made), and will be able to progress to more powerful abilities, only after time and effort, while at the same time, having an easier time infiltrating the townie organizations and gaining an alibi, and thus the townie network will have to be more cautious about who to accept and more discerning about alibis.

interesting....<<sound of tumblers whirring and falling in place>>

TinCow
06-03-2010, 14:22
Basic idea is that each player has a group attack value, a personal defense value, a defend other value, and some have solo attack values. Still need 2 or more to group to attack if mafia, 3 or more for neutrals and town. Values added and compared with defense values to generate results (matrix largely replicates the "normal" results).

I can't quite tell based on the description, but if this means that people have a chance of killing with insufficient numbers or surviving a successful hit by pure luck (without protection of some kind, be it a doctor or a personal ability), I'd like to discourage it. Such luck based systems do provide extra chaos and make things unexpected, but they can also totally ruin good strategy, which is the heart of mafia IMHO.

Seamus Fermanagh
06-03-2010, 16:57
Could one of our fine mods adjust the title of the thread to include "(thoughts & recommendations)?" I don't want confusion of titles later.

ULC
06-04-2010, 13:45
I LOVED Capo as the dual personality vixen in Capo III (loved making my mark by offing a Director :D, and sealing a town win). However, ever since then, I've been thinking on that.

Now, understandably, I'm usually way out on one wing of creativity, but I honestly liked the idea of being a "dark townie" - someone who is not entirely town, but is indeed pro-town. What if we had developing third parties, just like we have developing townie and mafia parties? Allow people the ability to slip down that slope as they help the town, allow the character to dance with the darkside but pay the price.

They could be rather powerful roles, but are countered by their slow descent into madness, blinded by their rage and need for vengeance, etc, that drags them further and further from being a townie and into being an SK.

On another thought, I've also loved the idea of repentance. A truly sorry role, or one that realizes the monstrous actions they allow. Again, should be a developing role.

I also like the idea that is rife through Capo - choice, moral or otherwise. When I was a SK though, I had no choice, and I felt kind of broken off from the rest of Capo. Having my SK tendencies develop based upon my actions and the results would be fantastic.

Also, I understand that third parties are usually just that, total neutral and usually just roadblocks to others objectives, but in my mind, a third party shouldn't be restricted to simply that - in a sense they should be hard fought for objectives, kind of like a powerful tool for whichever side is able to get them.

Maybe that is reducing SKs/Neutrals to townie status, but to me it's not - it's removing them from speedbump interesting diversion status to a possible ally or enemy, while enriching the story of Capo.

Sorry for the rant, I'll get something more constructive up later.

Kagemusha
06-04-2010, 15:30
There were 76 players last time out, we have had the CFC invasion since then and TWC has had a recent revival so we could get some from there. 125 might not be as far-fetched as it sounds.

I hope this is not sarcasm.I am painfully aware that last time there were two FBI detectives, but what im talking about would be a FBI faction that could recruit wiseguys as snitches and try and infiltrate and destroy mafia families from within, with ofcourse the risk of mafia counter infiltration. I think this would add another layer of paranoia in the game.

johnhughthom
06-04-2010, 15:38
I think you quoted the wrong post there Kage...

It wasn't sarcasm, we actually had three FBI last time (I should know, I was one of them) and being able to recruit wiseguys as snitches like you say would have been great.

Kagemusha
06-04-2010, 16:04
I think you quoted the wrong post there Kage...

It wasn't sarcasm, we actually had three FBI last time (I should know, I was one of them) and being able to recruit wiseguys as snitches like you say would have been great.

Gah! Well what ever i was blabbering about.:embarassed:

Askthepizzaguy
06-04-2010, 21:03
I would like to offer some more thoughts and recommendations, but I think by now you have a general idea of what you want to go for.

If you would like to hear more of the same kind of balancing ideas or whatever that I offered right after Capo III ended, let me know Seamus and I'll PM you. Otherwise I think you should already have plenty of ideas here to work from...

pevergreen
06-05-2010, 13:29
I want a return of the great serial killer from CDTC. I loved seeing the old Greek guy just killing people.

The car that took out a diner full of wog victims?

Maybe a return to the original, while updating it (ala Creative Assembly)

I think you and Sasaki know what I mean...

Seamus Fermanagh
06-06-2010, 20:37
lots of time before this comes to fruition. Please feel free with more thoughts and ideas -- though yes, pizza, i have quite a few from you already if you are busy elsewhere.

YLC -- nice thoughts about SK. It is true that the compulsion SKs have little "choice" even though choice is a Capo hallmark. I hoped to make them compelling with other elements.

ULC
06-06-2010, 21:40
They could be rather powerful roles, but are countered by their slow descent into madness, blinded by their rage and need for vengeance, etc, that drags them further and further from being a townie and into being an SK.

Just thought about this - what if someone could slip into serial killerdom by having those they worked with die? Like, factor in the number of times they have worked for an individual, and as people die they have worked with, once they reach a threshold, they become a serial killer bent on mass vengeance. Thoughts?

Double A
06-06-2010, 23:47
I think this game should have a pirate theme!

:clown:

Khazaar
06-15-2010, 17:22
I think this game should have no town, instead Mafia vs. Mafia vs. Undercover FBI/Cops. One of the great themes of Mafiamovies is the paranoia/distrust that each member feels, it´s not for the faint of heart to be a gangster. You constantly have to watch your back, is my partner snitching on me, does my boss think I´m disloyal, are my henchmen trying to off me to get my position?
Also the players in the families would be known others would be known as unafiliated, what would be unknown is who has what sort of protection...

So maybe the different families + unafiliated. Everyone can (potentially) start as loyal, cop, snitch (to another family or the cops) or independent/recruitable. To make this more attractive some sort of cash (or other incentive, promotion, immunity, out etc.) could be available, either to pay your minions to keep them loyal, to recruit new member or to bribe others.

As I read this I notice that that´s probably too far away from the original gameconcept of Capo, but I´ll leave it here as brainstorming...

Askthepizzaguy
07-01-2010, 19:11
Any idea on a timetable for hosting this game, Seamus?

I seem to remember for Capo III I was keeping track of who had gotten an invitation to play the game, and who had not, and eventually passed a good chunk of ready-to-play people over to you to finish the job. I would be most willing to assist with keeping tabs on who has been recruited this time, who doesn't want invites, and helping to recruit new players from TWC and CFC and get them integrated into the gameroom for maximum mayhem.

If that's one aspect I can be of help with, just tell me when to begin.

gibsonsg91921
12-08-2010, 16:25
I would drop out of college to play in Capo IV if I had to.

Askthepizzaguy
12-08-2010, 16:29
I would drop out of college to play in Capo IV if I had to.

With today's college tuition prices you can't afford not to drop out of college.... :clown:

Seamus Fermanagh
12-09-2010, 05:57
I'll open a recruiting thread after Christmas.

Now that we are on the schedule, I would gladly solicit further comments and suggestions. I am NOT planning to stray far from the original capo theme -- there will still be a town -- but I am going to tweak it back to balance a bit. Capo I was, so far, the most balanced but I think that was a result of too little voluntary role switching. Later editions featured a LOT of role switching.

I am definitely going to make the investigation aspect clearer. I am not going to change it all that much, but I want more consistency in how results come up etc.

ULC
12-09-2010, 06:45
I would like to chime in with some more refined thoughts then from earlier - but can I ask the setting first? What era is it? Are we looking at the 60's or 70's?

pevergreen
12-09-2010, 07:19
As long as there isn't a wolf. :stare:

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
12-10-2010, 00:09
I'll like to take part in this as well. :balloon2::book:

Seamus Fermanagh
12-10-2010, 12:01
The prologue is already in the Gameroom, should be in the queue, though down a page or two by now.

The Capo series is moving forward chronologically, with things in the early 50s at present. As always, events occur in the dreary little city of Fatlington, NJ. See previous iterations for locale commentary.

Double A
12-10-2010, 18:18
The prologue is already in the Gameroom, should be in the queue, though down a page or two by now.

The Capo series is moving forward chronologically, with things in the early 50s at present. As always, events occur in the dreary little city of Fatlington, NJ. See previous iterations for locale commentary.

Capo II was in NJ?

Seamus Fermanagh
12-13-2010, 05:21
Yep.

Askthepizzaguy
03-06-2011, 18:03
What's the status on this game? Will we be seeing a sign up sheet soon?

GeneralHankerchief
03-06-2011, 18:06
Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I've PM'd Seamus about this twice in the past 2-3 weeks with no response either time. In addition, his last login date is mid-February. Staff is currently discussing about what to do for the Large/Huge game slot in March if he doesn't show up soon.

gibsonsg91921
05-24-2011, 21:49
bump bump bump

when is this happening? can someone call me directly on my high priority presidential phone line when it does?

Askthepizzaguy
05-24-2011, 22:58
bump bump bump

when is this happening? can someone call me directly on my high priority presidential phone line when it does?

This is just rumor, because I don't have first hand information, but it may be hosted later this year, around summer or fall. If it happens, I'll do my usual thing and go to everyone's house personally, use a battering ram to bust down their front door, and drag them to New Jersey myself.