PDA

View Full Version : Clans Appearing in STW2

gollum
06-03-2010, 23:36
From the new, very well done (especially when comparingit to the M2 videos that had this circus feeling with the letters of the game that passed through fire rings like circus tigers, and the despicable Napoleon video trailer, that was justifiably made fun of) presentation video (http://uk.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/76283/shogun-ii-total-war/videos/shogun2_trl_announcementtrailer_60110.html;jsessionid=1wf03jfdsn5km), it can be seen that there 19 clans, from which (at the moment) we know that 9 will be playable.

I can readily recognise (in the map at 0:59 of the video) the Shimazu in the southern part of Kyushu, and what seems to be the Otomo at the northern end. All Shikoku is dominated by a single clan and this can be no other than the Chosokabe - that by the way barely did not make it to the original (they were turned into the Shimazu and their historical generals given to the rebel faction, however they can still be seen in the intro movie expanding from Tosa in Shikoku).

In the Hiroshima area, i can tell the Mori at the southwestern tip, and propably the nextclan should be the Amako. There are two more clans further northeast, but there are many potential suitors such as the Yamana, the Ukita and the Miyoshi.

In central Japan (Kinki), its possible that the faction that occupies a large chunk are the Hosokawa. There seems to be a Warrior Monk based clan in Kii/Yamashiro and another one in Etchizen/Kaga/Noto/Etchu, although these could be partialy represented with the Asakura clan.

I readily recognise the Oda, the Imagawa, the Takeda, the Hojo and the Uesugi of Etchigo (ie after the kanto Uesugi passed over the clan in effect to Nagao kagetora aka uesugi kenshin). There are a lot of clans in Tohoku (the northeastern most long peninsula comprising Mutsu and Dewa in the original) as it should. The Date and the Mogami clans should be among those.

Anyone can offer his lights on this? By the way which clan might be that large chunk of land around Mino? Could it be the Saito clan that Oda Nobunaga had to fight to take over that province?

Gregoshi
06-04-2010, 02:40
I predict lots of color on the maps! :laugh4: Only they should NOT use pink. That was a PR disaster at the .com forums when it was revealed prior to MTW's release. "Forget the AI bugs! The Hungarians are PINK!!!! How DARE CA!! They are my favourite faction." :wall:

Oh, and BTW, nice analysis and detective work gollum.

drone
06-04-2010, 02:47
I predict lots of color on the maps! :laugh4: Only they should NOT use pink. That was a PR disaster at the .com forums when it was revealed prior to MTW's release. "Forget the AI bugs! The Hungarians are PINK!!!! How DARE CA!! They are my favourite faction." :wall:
Sounds like the Resevoir Dogs scene. Everyone wants to be Mr. Black. :yes:

A Nerd
06-04-2010, 03:41
Very insightful Gollum! I wish I could provide a valid opinion, but I don't know one clan from the next!:shame:

gollum
06-04-2010, 03:54
Originally posted by Gregoshi
I predict lots of color on the maps! Only they should NOT use pink. That was a PR disaster at the .com forums when it was revealed prior to MTW's release. "Forget the AI bugs! The Hungarians are PINK!!!! How DARE CA!! They are my favourite faction."

So very true :laugh4:

Originally posted by A Nerd
I wish I could provide a valid opinion, but I don't know one clan from the next!

Dont worry A Nerd, by the time the game comes out you'll know more than you ever cared to know about Japanese medieval history. Happens to me all the time with TW games :)

gollum
06-04-2010, 04:33
Speaking of Japanese History, there is this site (http://www.samurai-archives.com/) that has a lot of comprehensive, well written information, about a lot of people of the era, events (like battles etc), and places during the Sengoku period. A must for Sengoku enthusiasts and prospective S2 players like us.
:bow:

Kagemusha
06-04-2010, 09:04
If we are speaking of this picture:

https://img580.imageshack.us/img580/1808/clans.jpg

Gollum i think you are right about the Kyushu island which is the one on the left.And Shikoku also, which is the smaller one right next to it to the right.Here is a map of regions of Japan which will give some idea to some people what i will be talking about. This is just for the reference of regions. Nevermind the modern provinces:

https://img693.imageshack.us/img693/9736/regionsandprefecturesof.png

Here is how i would read this map:

Kyushu

Green, Shimazu, South
Blue, Otomo, North

Shikoku

Red, Chosokabe

Chūgoku region

From left to right (From West to East)

Yellow,Ouchi,in the tip of the peninsula
Green,Mori, covers the Aki province which was the base of Mori
Blue, Amako?Ukita,Yamana,Urakami? If its Amako it seems bit out of place as their core areas are inside Mori lands

Kansai

From West to East

yellow, A strange one, with holdings over many provinces +Awaii island, Miyoshi?
green, Another strange with holdings in Kii and Kawatchi, Saiga Monto,Ikko Ikki?
Red, Oda

Chūbu

From West to East

Green, Asakura
Blue, Saito
Yellow, Imagawa,Tokugawa?
Green, Takeda
Yellow, Could be any of the local powers in Shinano, Murakami, Ogasawara,Suwa,Kiso?
Blue, Uesugi, Nagao

Tohoku

From South to North

Blue, Hojo
Red, Ashina
yellow, Date
Green, There were quite few small clans in the Northern Mutsu, Oura,Nambu...?

Note.Lot of borders just dont make sense, like for example Hojo never did actually conquer Bōsō peninsula, which is the South eastern area inside its colour, same applies to Hitachi, which was the domain of Satake.This is just an example.

Thermal
06-04-2010, 10:48
I think they must include Otomo, Miyoshi, Amako, Yamana and Date, they just seem more major and dominant to be ignored.

Kagemusha
06-04-2010, 10:57
I think they must include Otomo, Miyoshi, Amako, Yamana and Date, they just seem more major and dominant to be ignored.

That is completely up to what is the starting date. For example at the start of the period 1525 which the early start for STW.Miyoshi was still more or less a Hosokawa vassal. But for example in 1560 Hosokawa clan was more or less extict as a major Clan, while Miyoshi were essentially projecting their power over entire Kinai or Kinki region.With a Hosokawa puppet Kanrei in control of what was left of central government.

A Nerd
06-06-2010, 00:50
I'd be interested to know what the playable and non-playable factions are actually. What the land holdings are and clan charactaristics. I would hope there are no dormant, one provice clans that have no chance of doing anything but be conqured or form a useless alliance and sit around for the entire campaign. It would be nice if all clans had some opportunity (coded in perhaps) of actually making a bid for Japan's unification. Hopefully some if not all of the clans from the original are included. I wonder how color coding will go as well? Any thoughts on historical accuracy of the above?