PDA

View Full Version : Shogun II - Yay or Nay Poll

Intranetusa
06-04-2010, 00:31
Will Shogun II be decent (no buggy till the 3rd patch, better AI, etc), and do you plan on buying it?

gollum
06-04-2010, 00:32
Absolutely excited about it - definitely will buy. However i have no clue wether it will be good - and other than CA neither does anyone else just now. By the way where is the polling option?

Edit: saw it - voted (yay i'll buy and no predictions)

Gregoshi
06-04-2010, 02:29
I voted it will be good only because CA appears to be pulling back from the "more more more" approach - pushing the technology/features ahead without perfecting them. Someone at CA must have read Arthur C. Clarke's short story "Superiority". :laugh4: What the final product will be is hard to say, but I like the philosophical approach they are taking with this game.

A Nerd
06-04-2010, 02:35
It will be good. I have faith. Heck, I liked M2TW and ETW, so I guess I am a little biased.:laugh4:

pevergreen
06-04-2010, 03:45
I dunno. Would have been more psyched for R2TW, but you gotta figure that is next.

Kagemusha
06-04-2010, 08:26
I will buy it and then see what it will be worth. I am very exited and hope that CA will honour the spirit of the original title and dont go towards too Arcade like game.

Subotan
06-04-2010, 08:36
Probably Yay, even though I never played it. Hopefully, this will be a return to form for CA.

EDIT: Of course, I may just be being a muppet and falling for CA's tricks again, but if that's true, then I'm an excited muppet.

Ibn-Khaldun
06-04-2010, 08:50
I hope it will be Yay and Yay.

Ser Clegane
06-04-2010, 08:59
I am cautiously optimistic - the currently avaibale information implies a bit of a "back to the roots attitude" of CA which is likely to be a good thing.

I think it very much depends on to which extent they work on the strategic map as the move away from the risk-style map did not really help to improve the gaming experience (at least IMHO).

As I like the setting, I would tend to buy it - but I will definitely wait to see some reviews on this board to see if it is an improvement compared to the recent TW titles.

Andres
06-04-2010, 08:59
I love the setting, so a "yay" from me.

Thermal
06-04-2010, 10:50
Yay Yay ...

...Yay...

edyzmedieval
06-04-2010, 11:45
I will definitely buy it, and I think it will be good.

If it's not good, a torrent of comments and not-so-nice words will go towards CA, along with a trade embargo. Last TW for me, for sure, if STW turns crap.

Lemur
06-04-2010, 15:16
I have come to the painful realization that I am CA's catamite, so I'll buy it even if it's horrible. Oh, I can muster the willpower to avoid DLC and add-on campaigns, but to skip an entire game generation? The pain would be unbearable. I do hope they get the AI under control this time.

So where's the "It may be buggy as hell but I'll buy it anyway" option?

Monk
06-04-2010, 18:00
Empire can be a very good learning experience for CA if they choose to use it as such, we'll see if S2TW can avoid the same pitfalls.

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
06-04-2010, 18:48
I will buy it for my collection (I got all TW PC games :clown:) and for the MP part of it. I hope it is as good as the original.

Alexander the Pretty Good
06-04-2010, 19:28
I will purchase it if it meets widespread approval of the community here and can be relatively easily moddable - either by CA providing tools or using open or easily opened formats.

I'm extremely pessimistic that those two criteria will be met.

AussieGiant
06-04-2010, 21:00
As I mentioned in the AI thread, this is a solid move by CA and will either propel them forward or potentially be a kill shot. It's their first game, its been 10 years and hopefully with the down sizing of the scope they will produce a tight crisp game with the best elements of the original and the lessons learned from the past 10 years.

Plus, if they screw this, their signature game, then that's just got to be a pressure packed environment. :-)

I LIKE IT!!

Terazawa
06-04-2010, 21:26
2v2 Totomi 10k Koku, 5 monks/guns max

gg

Self Explanatory??? =)

NagaoKagetora
06-06-2010, 12:44
Haven't been excited about a TW game for years, definate Yay!

hoom
06-06-2010, 13:10
I await more information about what they are doing on campaign map side & whether it looks like it'll get the immersion of the original.

Sp00n
06-06-2010, 13:17
Haven't been excited about a TW game for years, definate Yay!

About where I am :P

General Malaise
06-07-2010, 07:07
I voted that I'd get it, but only if it is not Steam exclusive.

Beskar
06-07-2010, 10:51
It will be, but there is nothing wrong with Steam anyway. Haven't got a clue why people are upset with the idea. :shrug:

Hosakawa Tito
06-07-2010, 11:51
I have come to the painful realization that I am CA's catamite, so I'll buy it even if it's horrible. Oh, I can muster the willpower to avoid DLC and add-on campaigns, but to skip an entire game generation? The pain would be unbearable. I do hope they get the AI under control this time.

So where's the "It may be buggy as hell but I'll buy it anyway" option?

I've got the fever as well. I'll give it a yay,yay. I think the smaller scale will help avoid the bugginess issues. I hope they do the original Shogun justice, and I think they will. I've read that the AI is improved/game more polished in NTW compared to ETW, is that a consensus opinion? If I remember one of the biggest issues with Shogun, aside from the battle AI, was the diplomacy side. Hope they can nail it, because like has been mentioned I love the setting and era.

Intranetusa
06-07-2010, 16:28
If I remember one of the biggest issues with Shogun, aside from the battle AI, was the diplomacy side. Hope they can nail it, because like has been mentioned I love the setting and era.

Bad battle AI and bad campaign AI were both major problems in RTW and MTW2 too. Not sure about ETW/Napoleon since I didn't get those.

Intranetusa
06-07-2010, 16:29
It will be, but there is nothing wrong with Steam anyway. Haven't got a clue why people are upset with the idea. :shrug:

I don't like paying full price for an electronic download. I'd rather prefer a hard copy, box, manual if I'm gonna shell out $50. And I think regular-copies are more mod-receptive, whereas STEAM versions need to be tweaked around for mods to work (not sure about this, so don't quote me).

A Nerd
06-07-2010, 16:32
I don't like paying full price for an electronic download. I'd rather prefer a hard copy, box, manual if I'm gonna shell out $50. And I think regular-copies are more mod-receptive, whereas STEAM versions need to be tweaked around for mods to work (not sure about this, so don't quote me).

Not to mention how much faster install is when using a hard copy vs. download, in my experience anyway.

caravel
06-07-2010, 16:47
I dislike Steam for the same reasons I dislike any intrusive copy protection software or unnecessary commercial bloatware that locks the user in to a single service where the available products are not necessarily at the best available prices...

When I buy a game, I expect just that - a game, not some extra bloat that is essentially there to check that I'm not a thief while pushing more products down my neck.

If I then choose not to use Steam and actually go out and buy the game, I do not expect to have to install the same bloatware anyway in order to activate to prove that I am not a thief.

For me the right to choose what I install on my PC is important, to some it isn't which is fair enough. Horses for courses.

:bow:

Yoyoma1910
06-08-2010, 01:52
Hoorah!!!!

Monk
06-08-2010, 03:42
I dislike Steam for the same reasons I dislike any intrusive copy protection software or unnecessary commercial bloatware that locks the user in to a single service where the available products are not necessarily at the best available prices...

When I buy a game, I expect just that - a game, not some extra bloat that is essentially there to check that I'm not a thief while pushing more products down my neck.

If I then choose not to use Steam and actually go out and buy the game, I do not expect to have to install the same bloatware anyway in order to activate to prove that I am not a thief.

For me the right to choose what I install on my PC is important, to some it isn't which is fair enough. Horses for courses.

:bow:

Steam is nice when it isn't the only way to obtain a game, when you have normal and steam versions along side one another. A great many games that come out on steam are not exclusive to the platform (baring valve's own releases, but those have the best steam implementation for obvious reasons). When used as a gaming platform Steam can do some wonderful things, least of all keeping your product up to date and ensuring that if your install gets corrupted somehow it can be easily replaced. It also allows quick and easy DLC purchasing, downloading and installing for games that have quite a bit.

When used as a DRM model, however, Steam can be just as instrusive as any other. ETW was a good example of how not to implement Steam in your games, it just felt off. Combine it with being the only way to obtain the game and it quickly becomes a nightmare not many tw fans are looking forward to. I love Steam for what it is, but its implementation in ETW left a lot to be desired.

LittleGrizzly
06-08-2010, 23:38

gg

Self Explanatory??? =)

gl and hf first!

I hope to meet you and many other old timers on totomi once more!

JAG
06-09-2010, 01:22

gg

Self Explanatory??? =)

Hahaha! OLD SKOOL!! :>

I, for one - CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!! Brings back so many brilliant memories, I hope they do a good job.

Jochi Khan
06-09-2010, 13:38
Looks like all the 'old-timers' will be back playing this one.

Will be nice to see all the old familiar faces again.

When can we expect it to be released???? Hopefully February 2011????

Kagemusha
06-09-2010, 14:05
Hopefully soon we have something new to make the old timers feel like home.:builder:

AnthoniusII
06-11-2010, 08:45
There are many factors that will help me deside if i will buy S2TW.
1ST: Completion. I mean no bugs.
2nd: Steam conection. I didn't buy NTW and ETW because of this fact.
3rd: Accuracy. I know very well that historical accuracy costs a lot but never the less
the game must avoid to put imaginary heros and units.
TW series are the best battle simulators and as such we are fans of them!
4th: Administration system. The "civilisation" type of state managment in ETW was a great
failure. You are not supose to research for things that were known centuries before just
for gameplays shake.
The 1st Shogun had a simple but very good administaration system with 4 seasons and payment
once a year.
The fans want epic battles,clever diplomacy and sabotage options not "research sword",research metal armors kind of silly
things.

Slyspy
06-11-2010, 19:40
I'm not convinced that CA can provide the kind of game I enjoy anymore. Plus I'm almost certain that they are unable to produce either a poduct that isn't bug ridden (some of which may never be fixed) or one that their AI is actually capable of playing. I'm expecting the worst but will be overjoyed to be proved wrong.

vartan
06-11-2010, 21:05
Nay. Not in a million years.

Gregoshi
06-11-2010, 23:04
I'm not convinced that CA can provide the kind of game I enjoy anymore. Plus I'm almost certain that they are unable to produce either a poduct that isn't bug ridden (some of which may never be fixed) or one that their AI is actually capable of playing...
Hopefully the emphasis on scaling back S2TW will change the bug and AI issues.

Sir Robin
06-12-2010, 00:13
With the simplified unit roster and fewer factions I expect the AI's performance will be better. I am looking forward to Shogun 2 but I was really hoping Creative Assembly would finally tackle China's Warring States Period (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warring_States_Period).

A Nerd
06-12-2010, 01:38
With the simplified unit roster and fewer factions I expect the AI's performance will be better. I am looking forward to Shogun 2 but I was really hoping Creative Assembly would finally tackle China's Warring States Period.

You never know. It might be an expansion or a stand alone like NTW. Here's to wishful thinking! Such a period would make a nice game.

Tsavong
06-13-2010, 21:34
I am interested in Shogun II I will probably buy it and I will be looking forward for more information about it.

ETW was a good example of how not to implement Steam in your games, it just felt off.
Ye I think that's about it, steam is good and all but can be quite annoying if you don't have a constant internet connection, I would have much preferred sort of the Dragon Age approach of giving out free DLC with the game so people register the thing.

Ibrahim
06-14-2010, 03:40
well, if they go back to the simple days in regards to game play and strategy map, and just add to that, instead of doing stuff from scratch/ focusing on eye-candy a la empire, then I would think it be a great game.

having said that, I have my doubts. I'll still buy the game though, if only because, as Spoony the wise:clown: put it, I'm damned to buy every major release until the end of time.

Vlad The Impaler
06-14-2010, 13:55
the guys from TW center seem very pissed off 'cause is STW2

Tsar Alexsandr
06-14-2010, 14:02
I'm excited for it. :D Shogun was such a good game.

Seeing it in a more realistic environment and in a newer game is going to be amazing. XD Not that graphics are all that matter to me. I'd still play my Shogun Total War if it worked. (Still have no clue why it doesn't. : / ) If the new game doesn't have that re-playability I'll be sad.

But it sounds like fun. Honestly I dunno how they could mess it up. XD It's such a good time period for a TW game. :D

Ibrahim
06-14-2010, 19:21
I'm excited for it. :D Shogun was such a good game.

Seeing it in a more realistic environment and in a newer game is going to be amazing. XD Not that graphics are all that matter to me. I'd still play my Shogun Total War if it worked. (Still have no clue why it doesn't. : / ) If the new game doesn't have that re-playability I'll be sad.

But it sounds like fun. Honestly I dunno how they could mess it up. XD It's such a good time period for a TW game. :D

if you have vista or 7, it won't work, unless you set it to compatibility mode (if there is even any in those-I still use XP)

Nigel
06-15-2010, 01:16
if you have vista or 7, it won't work

In that case I only hope my old PC does not break down until I have STW 2 .

Certainly yay. I only hope the bugs are minor or bearable - and the same goes for balance issues and MP playability.

Double A
06-15-2010, 05:10
I'll probably buy it if my friends say its good... but if it's not I'll rage about it and not buy another TW game until they're good again. And if they screw up S2 I doubt R2 will be any good... :sad:

aimlesswanderer
06-15-2010, 13:57
I desperately want this game to be great, but given what happened with ETW, and the general slide.... but I will likely get it unless the reviews are bad.

G. Septimus
06-15-2010, 14:10
it's worth for a try

quadalpha
06-17-2010, 04:17
With the simplified unit roster and fewer factions I expect the AI's performance will be better. I am looking forward to Shogun 2 but I was really hoping Creative Assembly would finally tackle China's Warring States Period (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warring_States_Period).

Still waiting for Three Kingdoms.

aimlesswanderer
06-17-2010, 09:09

Hell yeah, that would be fantastic. It'd also really improve knowledge about Chinese history too.

Nobunaga
06-17-2010, 09:36
yay. Some reasons are:

-CA won't release an unfinished game this time around especially after the feedback it got upon releasing empire.
-ETW and NTW MP are huge improvments over RTW and MTW2
-CA finally stating that less is more
-They are using the same engine which means they have more time to focus on the actual gameplay
-All the talk about making S2TW the zen of the total war series is promising. They seem to focus on polish this time around

Good luck CA ...

quadalpha
06-17-2010, 15:01
-They are using the same engine which means they have more time to focus on the actual gameplay

Oh, so NTW wasn't the evolution part and we're not due for a revolution?

Nobunaga
06-17-2010, 16:29
Oh, so NTW wasn't the evolution part and we're not due for a revolution?

revolution can be done without modifying the graphics engine... S2TW seems to be using the same engine as NTW/ETW (maybe slightly modified/optimized but the same ...)

Intranetusa
06-28-2010, 04:24

Nah...because Warring States or Three Kingdoms will require CA to do something called "extra work" and "new research" (or at least enough research till they get tired and start substituting real units with fantasy units).

It's much easier to just do a rehash or sequel of a previously made game...

minishog
06-28-2010, 09:41
It will be on Steam, so I will not buy it.

Furunculus
06-28-2010, 14:20
it will be good if mod support arrives.........

Lucius Verenus
07-04-2010, 11:54
No will not buy, unless possibly the modders can come up with a 7th-8th century Britain/Ireland Viking incursion type game from it - quite unlikely I guess :)

Am already planning on getting EBII up n running

rory_20_uk
07-04-2010, 16:11
I treat these games rather like fine wines: you have to leave them for some time to mature.

I'll not be buying until oh, 6 months after it's been released. That'll be long enough for the first or second patch to have fixed the truly dreadful bugs, and the modders to have ironed out some other "features". I'm no spring chicken any more so I don't have the patience to be playing broken games like in yesteryear.

I look forward ot some improved graphics, some of the better parts of the last games to be implemented, and that the smaller map will be gentler on the AI which will probably be slightly better than the last ones were, but still woefully easy to defeat unfairly.

~:smoking:

Askthepizzaguy
07-06-2010, 01:29
I gave Napoleon and Empire a miss.

But yes, I WILL get this game. I want an ancient/medieval setting. Less/no gunpowder. More swords and archers and walls.

Blitzy McBlitzenstein will return...

Goaswerfraiejen
07-07-2010, 08:11
Nay. How often do you need to be burned before you learn to keep your bloody hand away from the fire?

ProphetBuntaro_of_TW
07-07-2010, 20:13
I have been away from TW a long time. I might come back for this. I still have money in my pocket from all the other games I didn't buy.

Discoman
07-08-2010, 03:35
Considering ETW got worse with the Patches I think I'll avoid this till I know its gameplay is concrete and people can only say good things about it.

Ed TW
07-14-2010, 13:04
Yay, I'd be happy if they kept everything the same-Clans, Units, Music...etc.
All's they need to do is tune up the new graphics.
I wonder if the Geisha is going to be as deadly in this one?

Lucius Verus
07-14-2010, 17:03
I'll not buy, wait for the next TW game and I hope it will be Rome 2

Tempiic
07-29-2010, 12:50
Oh, I'll buy it just like I bought the other titles.

But that is the only certainity.
It would be nice if MP would hold my attention longer than a month once more.
I already know SP won't. But we'll see :)

jodmeister
07-29-2010, 19:54
Cannot wait for this.....10yrs ago I bought the original....this will be awesome.

JOD.

Swoosh So
07-29-2010, 20:03
With multiplayer chat foyer ill buy it

Without ill pass

AggonyDuck
08-16-2010, 22:37
Yup, can't wait for it.

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-16-2010, 23:36
Can't...Resist...The...Urge...to...destroy...armies...of...Samurai...with...Arquebuses...

Furunculus
08-19-2010, 09:01
working on the assumption that they will screw over the modding community yet again, whilst lieing through their teeth that this will be the "most moddable game they have yet made", means that i probably won't bother.

Gregoshi
08-19-2010, 15:49
working on the assumption that they will screw over the modding community yet again, whilst lieing through their teeth that this will be the "most moddable game they have yet made", means that i probably won't bother.
Where did you read that? From everything I've seen, they are saying it won't be moddable, so you are dead wrong - unless... :inquisitive:

And why so hostile Furunculus? It's only a game. ~:pat: The whole "developer is lying" mentality has always bugged me. Why would a developer lie about a feature they have no intention of putting in the final product? Haven't we all made stuff that didn't turn out how we originally envisioned it either because of time or problems we hadn't forseen? I have a pile of wood in the basement that was supposed to be a nice shelf unit for my wife's bathroom stuff complete with holes to conveniently hold her hair dryer and brushes. It was gorgeous in my head but turned out pretty crappy looking and so I abandoned it. However, my wife doesn't give me the "liar!" look everytime she sees me because she didn't get her shelves. The conclusion? Furunculus, you either need to relax it bit or I need to marry you. ~;)

Hmmm, it is a little early in a TW game development cycle for my "give CA a break" speech. :laugh4:

Furunculus
08-20-2010, 08:45
they certainly made such statements during the development of empire and napoleon, and where are the new campaign maps around which total conversions could build there setting? nowhere.

medieval total war was pure genius for the creative freedom it left the modding community, and CA traded on that good will while crippling modding in later titles to mere tinkering, presumably because their lips are now firmly latched to the hind-teat of the DLC paystream.

if CA have come out and said clearly that we can expect no modding support in STW2 then fair enough, they are being honest, and i will build enthusiasm and anticipation for the game based soley on its gameplay merits, which will be great no doubt, but i will not be strung along by the nose again.

such honesty would be appreciated, and would do much to transform bitterness into past fact rather than present reality.

Martok
08-21-2010, 08:41
if CA have come out and said clearly that we can expect no modding support in STW2 then fair enough, they are being honest, and i will build enthusiasm and anticipation for the game based soley on its gameplay merits, which will be great no doubt, but i will not be strung along by the nose again.

such honesty would be appreciated, and would do much to transform bitterness into past fact rather than present reality.
As a matter of fact, Furunculus, CA already *has* have come out and flatly stated there will be no modding support for Shogun 2. (There was a mild uproar (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?129047-So-no-mod-support...) here regarding the issue a couple months ago.) So there you go! ~;)

Furunculus
08-21-2010, 10:48
a stupid decision, but at least they're honest, so fair enough.

Martok
08-21-2010, 21:04
Yeah I don't agree with it either, but at least they were up-front about it this time. Better that, than promising modding tools/support that then never materializes.

Servius
08-23-2010, 17:02
I couldn't take this survey in good conscious. I have no idea what the game will be like. Based on CA's track record, the CAI, DAI, and BAI will be pretty dumb.

The BAI will be barely competent, but won't be able to overcome a disadvantage in numbers. It won't make strategic use of terrain (this assumes the battle maps will actually have some, as opposed to RTW, M2TW, and much of ETW). It won't divide it's forces, set up skirmishers, etc. I almost never fight outnumbered in a TW game, so I can't say if the AI knows how to envelop.

The DAI will be obstinate and have a completely unrealistic understanding of the relative value of demands and offerings. In ETW, the AI would offer you one tech that would take you 2 turns to research and demand 3 techs that took a total of 10 turns to research. If you renegotiated for an equitable trade, it would refuse. You could have a nation entirely bottled up, all ports blockaded, all fleets destroyed, and just pick their outlying regions appart at your leasure. When the AI finally starts offering peace, it makes demands of you, rather than offering something to sweeten the deal. DarthMod made it a bit smarter/more reasonable, but the vanilla DAIs have always been on drugs.

The CAI has mostly been made competent. Armies are generally mixed, a decent number (though still a majority) of armies are lead by actual generals, there tend not to be the 10s of little raiding parties constantly wandering around your territory. But you still couldn't say the CAI makes the most efficient use of its military or industrial resources. The Empire AI would put religious buildings on Wealthy towns and factories on very poor ones. It finally learned to embark armies on ships but still seems incapable of understanding amphibious landings. If you garrison your ports, you are free from naval invasions.

As far as bugs, there will probably be a few, but hopefully not a ton. In ETW, I'd say 90% or more of the stuff worked as intended. And lets be fair, the TW games are WAY more complex than any FPS, sports, racing, platformer, shmup, action, or arcade game. Only some of the huge RPGs like Fallout come close in terms of complexity, and usually that's more because of the scale than the depth.

The real question is will I buy it, and if so, when. Empire helped restore some of my faith in this franchise. The AI has always been the biggest problem, but at least with ETW, it added so much new stuff, and so significantly increased the scale, that even a barely competent AI can keep you busy. It added lots of new features, and the interface was vastly improved. But S2TW will not have that scale. It's just one island. It also won't have that many units, or as many factions. All of those things will make the AI's job easier (fewer variables to weigh), but it will also not help mask a bad AI. Combat will also be simpler. The more RPS it is, the less grey there will be in unit roles, the easier it should be for an AI to know what units to use against your units.

I probably won't buy this on day one. I'll wait and see what orgahs with old "Join Dates" say. The closer this is to the original, the better. It really needs the Risk map back. I hope it brings back the foyer!

SpencerH
08-24-2010, 14:24
I was dissapointed with RTW, disgusted with M2TW, and havent purchased (or played) ETW or NTW. When I popped in here and saw that S2TW was on its way I was immediately elated. Then I saw the vid from Koln in the other thread. What's the strident announcers focus? Graphics, graphics, graphics! Oooh, it looks like a fps! One can 'upgrade' to fire arrows that can be used in a rainstorm. Personally, I dont play fps nor do I care about eye candy. I want to see improvements in the AI and some sign that CA are returning to the reasonably realistic tactical gameplay that made STW and MTW such brilliant games. I remain hopeful for S2TW at this point but before I purchase I'll "wait and see" as I did with ETW and NTW.

al Roumi
08-24-2010, 15:31
Shame I cannot vote "Nay, but I will buy it (becasue i'm a sucker). I'd like to think I will hold off a pre-order purchase and wait for things to be stable and the quality (or not) of the game confirmed by Orgahs and others, but I will probably be swayed by some pathetic DLC or other and be one of the turnips sat with a buggy game playing against a lobbotomised AI.

I truly want CA to go back to basics and make this as well as they can. I am not desperate to play a new product in the franchise if it is rushed or comes up chronicaly short of its ambition. Look how long it took Blizzard to deliver Starcraft2. Now if TW:S2 could have that degree of polish...

phred
08-30-2010, 19:47
Nay for me. After playing STW, MTW, RTW & M2TW, I think I can safely say that I am pretty much burned out on the Total War series.
Since the announcement I've installed RTW and M2TW, and I just couldn't get interested in playing either.
I'm giving the Welsh a try in Viking Invasion now - we'll see how long that lasts.

Kas
08-31-2010, 00:32
It better be good!

I waited 7 years or so for this...really...it better be good.

Drisos
10-05-2010, 23:15
Anything after S:TW could only disappoint me, ... But I must admit I'm very very curious how this one will turn out. I'll have to try a few battles, but if I like it, hell yeah I'll buy it. :)

Lord of the Isles
10-06-2010, 02:31
Nay for me too. I could be willing to change my mind if it gets great reviews from other Orgahs after the usual few months teething problems, but it would have to be great ones to make up for Steam.

Julius_Nepos
10-06-2010, 11:51
I voted Nay. However I wish there had been an additional option along the lines of "Nay - not until S2TW is selling for $4.99 in the bargain bin." It's not that I dislike Japanese history, I am merely 100% indifferent to it, and given CA's track record in recent history I'm not going to pay $59.99 for a game based upon an era and region I care nothing about knowing full well it will likely be horrifically bad until its had a years worth of patches. And of course with virtually no modding ability, most of the problems will be unfixable by the community.

So like I said, I have no reason to get this game unless its a bargain price. I don't hate the concept, I just have no interest in it whatsoever. Now, if this was something like Asia Total War, including India, Indonesia, China and what have you, or perhaps a Genghis: Total War, that would be an entirely different story. Alas, CA wasn't forward thinking enough to go that route, oh well.

Magyar Khan
10-06-2010, 17:10
for me stw2 will be a real break in believing CA and their propoganda machine..... if they dont manage to make this anniversary release very special esp multiplayerwise i have to give up..... and yes a genghis: total war will certainly result in buying another release as well :)

AMP
10-06-2010, 19:01
I will buy it because no other company is coming close to what TW is doing, so it's all I have in options right now and I don't think STW2 will be that bad. Other companies have tried and fail though... and the others out there are a bit different. TW remains the boss with no challengers right now.

They do say a lot of BS, but so do 90% of the gaming companies making promises they don't keep as well as hardly changing at all in some areas with their game.

As long as the gameplay is decent all is good... I never played the TW games for the ERA, historical accuracy, or realism. It's a game and not real life and will always be that, so for me it's mostly gameplay and balance. I do prefer some ERAs over another, but it comes down to how well the game plays in the end.

NTW is mostly a shoot out which isn't my thing, but it's a decent game and could be better. It's flaws and poor controls and much needed features might carry over the STW2 which has me worried the most.

Tempiic
10-06-2010, 19:12
Oh, I'll buy it just like I bought the other titles.

But that is the only certainity.
It would be nice if MP would hold my attention longer than a month once more.
I already know SP won't. But we'll see :)

Requoting myself, but it seems so far that NTW is doing well to keep my attention. So that is a promising thing for S2TW. But I can only agree with AMP and share his worry.

It's flaws and poor controls and much needed features might carry over the STW2 which has me worried the most.

a completely inoffensive name
10-13-2010, 04:37
I'm going to wait 8 months before buying it. By seeing how the community here reacts to it I know whether to buy it or not. Honesty, I'm annoyed at the lack of modding tools or support but it was to be expected. If the game is truly good and has amazing potential to be unlocked, someone, somewhere will make a modding tool and there will be mods of it. I enjoyed RTW and M2TW, but I couldn't even play Empire for a week before I gave up on it. I feel bad for the relative who bought it for me for my birthday.

Like I said in the frontroom, this game is close to being a do or die moment. If this game sucks, they have lost a lot of their fans, if it is good then they are making progress.

phonicsmonkey
10-14-2010, 05:42
After buying M2TW on release and struggling through all the various bugs until we finally got a decent game from the modding community I watched the community reaction to ETW carefully, deciding not to buy it until it was fully patched and seemed to be working correctly. So I finally bit the bullet and started playing it the other day and I'm glad I waited. I'll do the same with this game.

antisocialmunky
10-15-2010, 03:13
Can we have a Yay, but it will be really buggy.

Dimeola
10-16-2010, 03:13
My first and most passionate love was STW...i still remember the ad in the gaming magazine that thrilled me. Hell yea im buying this and it will be good and im going to play it into the ground as well as whatever mods come to it as well. Nice to see some of you again. For many fond memories its good to be back.