PDA

View Full Version : Well, there's one good thing that we know about Shogun 2 ...

edyzmedieval
06-12-2010, 22:43
...brought back the oldies and regulars. :balloon2:
I am actually really glad to see the oldies back in here.

Welcome back everyone, and let us hope Shogun 2 will give us some serious entertainment. :bow:

Gregoshi
06-12-2010, 22:51
Yes indeed edyz! Let's hope S2TW re-invigorates the franchise and re-energizes the community so the old guard and the young guard enjoy TW together - be it SP or MP. :2thumbsup:

Ibn-Khaldun
06-12-2010, 23:19
How can they enjoy TW together in SP?
Both start playing campaigns in the same time? End their turn in the same time?:clown:

Tera
06-13-2010, 00:40
The announcement really got me shaking. Hell, I reinstalled STW and completed the campaign once again. Shogun: Total War was a very important game for me as through it I discovered a love for all things Japanese and world history in general.

Glad to post at The Org again, been a long time - lots of good times and some, mea culpa, bad times. I'm sorry for a lot of the bad stuff. Then again I was admin here during STW so it feels good roaming back here.

A Nerd
06-13-2010, 00:44
It's nice to have old timers back again. I just wonder why they left and where they went while gone. If it is any of my business! :)

Tsar Alexsandr
06-13-2010, 00:47
Shogun Total War helped propel me into a long study of all things Japanese and samurai. :D I think I would only enjoy it more, knowing what I know now. The various clans, weapons, and the politics of the time. It was a great game. :D Simple, but full of depth.

These days I even study Shinkage-ryu and other forms of swordsmanship. As well as making myself well versed with Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" and the Yagyu book of Munenori Yagyu, "The Mind and the Sword." So, it certainly had an impact... XD

I can't wait to return to Sengoku Japan!

Tera
06-13-2010, 01:12
It's nice to have old timers back again. I just wonder why they left and where they went while gone. If it is any of my business! :)

The big shift in the community happened when RTW was released. It was a great game - worthy of many accolades - and a huge, well deserved commercial success for CA. However, it was also radically different than STW/MTW from both SP and MP perspectives. It attracted a new, huge crowd but also disappointed a lot of people who played the game since the first days of Shogun and were accustomed to the old way of playing Total War games. Ever since then, I've spoken to many old TW players who have been trying desperately to recapture the old feelings - I guess the announcement of STW2 was really exciting for former addicted old school players!

As for "where they were in the meantime", I can tell you my personal experience. Back in 2005 - Magyar Khan, Monsta, Swoosh, myself and quite a few other ex-TW players - founded a World of Warcraft guild which we played in for years! ;-)

A Nerd
06-13-2010, 01:24
As for "where they were in the meantime", I can tell you my personal experience. Back in 2005 - Magyar Khan, Monsta, Swoosh, myself and quite a few other ex-TW players - founded a World of Warcraft guild which we played in for years! ;-)

Thanks for the insight!

tibilicus
06-13-2010, 02:42
The announcement really got me shaking. Hell, I reinstalled STW and completed the campaign once again. Shogun: Total War was a very important game for me as through it I discovered a love for all things Japanese and world history in general.

Glad to post at The Org again, been a long time - lots of good times and some, mea culpa, bad times. I'm sorry for a lot of the bad stuff. Then again I was admin here during STW so it feels good roaming back here.

Tera, I'm sure I've heard of you. Wait, I've defiantly heard of you. I always assumed you were one of those internet myths though. Anyway, welcome home.

As for S2TW, I'm still not sold. After recent CA games I've lost pretty much all faith in the franchise and can't see me ever really picking it up again, unless it improves by leaps and bounds. Regrettably, the component of the game I loved so much, the Multi-player, despite all its flaws, I fear will be lacking again. I guess my love for the franchise has completely died. I want it to succeed though, if only to capture a figment of what the game used to be and to keep on driving traffic to our dear forum.

Tsar Alexsandr
06-13-2010, 02:44
The big shift in the community happened when RTW was released. It was a great game - worthy of many accolades - and a huge, well deserved commercial success for CA. However, it was also radically different than STW/MTW from both SP and MP perspectives. It attracted a new, huge crowd but also disappointed a lot of people who played the game since the first days of Shogun and were accustomed to the old way of playing Total War games. Ever since then, I've spoken to many old TW players who have been trying desperately to recapture the old feelings - I guess the announcement of STW2 was really exciting for former addicted old school players!

You know.... I was psyched about Rome either. I never bought the game. I liked the atmosphere of Shogun and M TW 1 more. The Classical area didn't seem to offer me much. Except the ability to fight Rome... XD

M TW 2 was a good game though, that I enjoyed thorughly.

Due to my computer's diminished specs though... I can no longer play M2 TW. (And I lost STW and M TW 1.) So I'm planning on getting RTW and am actually quite psyched for it. :D A lot of people enjoyed it. I'm giving it a try pretty late... but it might hold me over until I get a better computer.

MTW 2 was amazing. XD and I hope Shogun 2 will be as well. :D

Vlad The Impaler
06-13-2010, 07:12
Nice to see some old STW players posting again here; I never played online, although I am lurking around from about 10 years; at that moment, the internet was at the beggining around here (Romania) and the game was not present in internet cafes; and than MTW arrived with the mods and stuff and less online.

I remember the old clans, war stories (Maltz?) and I hope to see again that great atmosphere of the old sword dojo; I would like to see STW old days back, maybe this time I will have time (because "logistics" I have) for online;

And now I am heading to expectations topics for filling some lines; I always considered STW as an old friend, which remember me one of the best periods of my life;

Nakandakari Lobato
06-13-2010, 12:06
It's good to be back, albeit with a new user id. I used to come here every day in the STW and MTW/BI early days.

Nakandakari Lobato
06-13-2010, 12:08
Hmmm, can't edit my post, I've been working for about 50 hours on a samurai battle of Sengoku Jidai website. See here if interested: http://sites.google.com/site/samuraibattles/home

edyzmedieval
06-13-2010, 12:13
If we can get the STW atmosphere into the new one, I'd consider the game a huge success...

Hooahguy
06-13-2010, 13:12
and thankfully this forum is now out of the deep funk that ETW brought about....

drone
06-13-2010, 15:23
Hmmm, can't edit my post, I've been working for about 50 hours on a samurai battle of Sengoku Jidai website. See here if interested: http://sites.google.com/site/samuraibattles/home

Junior members can't edit posts. PM Tosa, he may be able to reactivate your old account.

Jochi Khan
06-13-2010, 15:57
Let's hope that the old community has a chance to be re-created. It would be a big ask though.

As for where did all the 'oldies' go.

Some just gave up and left. Others, like myself, embraced the new games.

RTW, M2TW, ETW and the present NTW.

Each has its own play style, you just have a new learning curve.

The biggest problem was the computer specs required to play the newer games.

It can be costly having to upgrade or buy new PCs just to keep up with them.

Tomisama
06-13-2010, 16:15

Fantastic web site :thumbsup:

I see you have some of my old sword practice videos (not), when I was younger of course :wink:

And I wanted to ask why Ten To Chi To (1990) was not on your film list?

I have a feeling that that film was as visually inspirational to Shogun 2 as Ran was to the first Shogun.

Not wanting to go off topic, please pm me with a response.

And thank you for all of your hard work.

Magnificent!

:beam:

Welecome Back All!!!

Mini-Killer
06-13-2010, 16:18
Ya I havent been here either for about 3 or so years myself. Havent played anything in-depth since Rome. After hearing of this gam, I just reinstalled STW and am looking for a good mod to place in and get going! No matter how many of these games come out I keep going back to Shogun.

Kagemusha
06-13-2010, 19:36
I couldnt agree more that it is great to see old forum legends returning and not just that.We seem to be getting also new formidable members as well.:bow:

edyzmedieval
06-13-2010, 21:31
Just keeps getting better and better!

The skin helps the mood as well.

Kurando
06-13-2010, 21:34
I couldnt agree more that it is great to see old forum legends returning and not just that.We seem to be getting also new formidable members as well.:bow:

That would be just great to see! There were so many incredible personalities who have some and gone over the years; I think STW2 will go a long way towards bringing them back to celebrate the continuation of the franchise. It's a good thing, and it's in good hands. I'm really looking forward to this one, on so many levels!

NagaoKagetora
06-13-2010, 21:37
Intentionally or not multiplayer STW was very good. I never really enjoyed MTW multiplayer as much (although it wasnt bad) and RTW dashed my hopes of ever re-visiting that STW MP experience. Coupled with the attitude of CA towards MP and their complete focus on the single player aspect in those days made me leave and find my PvP fix in other online games.

Vlad The Impaler
06-13-2010, 21:48
gah!

Kagemusha
06-13-2010, 21:58
All we need now is some head soup!

Hosakawa Tito
06-13-2010, 23:26
I hope they do the old game justice.

Sp00n
06-14-2010, 09:48
I left when Rome came as it was a total mess in MP, we had a great community and it was pretty much destroyed by that shocking mess. It took me a long time to look again and I went over to Eve Online for 5 years and then WoW.
Came back with NTW but I'm not a great fan of the period even though I really like the SP and the MPs ok, have also been trying MTW2 online which isnt bad.
Lets hope they get it right this time would be great to see many more old faces back though.

InsaneApache
06-14-2010, 10:13
I never went away. I just hung around like a fart in a spacesuit.

Catiline
06-14-2010, 10:53
Hello Tera

JAG
06-14-2010, 19:55
Good to see some old timers returning / being more active, helps bring back all the good old memories. Also would like to say hello Tera! :>

Tera
06-14-2010, 21:59
11,000 posts, Jesus, you've been busy here JAG =D

edyzmedieval
06-15-2010, 12:57
11,000 posts, Jesus, you've been busy here JAG =D

That's why he gets the special Spammer avatar. ~D

JAG
06-16-2010, 00:11
HA! And to think I have slowed down quite considerably - I don't think I could even be described as semi-active anymore! Hopefully that will all change with the new Shogun! :)

quadalpha
06-16-2010, 01:43
Hello people. I'm still waiting for the guy who says Gah! a lot.

drone
06-16-2010, 02:01
Hello people. I'm still waiting for the guy who says Gah! a lot.
:yes:
Thread needs moar Vanya and Krast!

Sp00n
06-16-2010, 11:21
:yes:
Thread needs moar Vanya and Krast!

Vanya now theres a name Ive not seen for ages, been years since we used to 2v2 on Shogun all the time. Is he here under another name? Krast I ran into on occasion in Eve Online.

drone
06-16-2010, 14:58
Vanya now theres a name Ive not seen for ages, been years since we used to 2v2 on Shogun all the time. Is he here under another name? Krast I ran into on occasion in Eve Online.

He's Vanya on the Org: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/member.php?6514-Vanya Last active in 2008. I think Krast posted for the 10 year anniversery.

jd's ghost
06-18-2010, 08:43
I thought everyone was saying Gah! a lot by now. (?)

Either way, we need more brooms... http://jaydeesan.homestead.com/files/images/monn_t.gif

Nelson
06-18-2010, 14:18
I hope they do the old game justice.

I'm with ya, brother.

Kurando-sama, great to see you!

pevergreen
06-18-2010, 17:19
I thought everyone was saying Gah! a lot by now. (?)

Either way, we need more brooms... http://jaydeesan.homestead.com/files/images/monn_t.gif

Oh we are, but its just not the same.

We can all say "I'll be back" but its not the same as having the Governator do it. :no:

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
06-18-2010, 17:22

What;s the name of your WoW guild by the way?

I hear Magyar is suppose to be back on NTW.

Tera
06-18-2010, 17:36
The guild started out simply as 'Wolves' but eventually it evolved into 'Obscure'. Good times, but WoW is a very different game today than it was when we started out. Obscure disbanded earlier this year after most of the leaders called it a day after years of playing.

Anyway, PM me if you are interested in WoW and want some leads where to start out ;) Let's not go offtopic.

GAH!

edyzmedieval
06-18-2010, 23:34
GAH indeed.

I remember the days when MTW was in full swing and I had no idea about multiplayer...And I thought Kenchikuka was some sort of warrior's guild. :sweatdrop: