PDA

View Full Version : TW Community

Nobunaga
06-16-2010, 14:05
Anyone noticed that the "online community" of the TW series have significantly shrunk. I remember when RTW was announced 6/7 years ago the forums (org, twcenter, and .com) were much more busy than these days...

Hopefully S2TW can reform the strong community this game once had ... I think this is CA's last chance.

Barkhorn1x
06-16-2010, 14:22
Hopefully S2TW can reform the strong community this game once had ... I think this is CA's last chance.

Agreed.

Hooahguy
06-16-2010, 14:41
well here membership has steadily declined since ETW. when i joined in 2007, and even until late 2008, this place was really busy. a dozen new threads in the frontroom every day, but since ETW it has declined to maybe one or two new threads.
yall should have been around a few months ago. it was practically a ghost town here.
thankfully STW2 is coming so all you old folks are coming back!

quadalpha
06-16-2010, 20:55
well here membership has steadily declined since ETW. when i joined in 2007, and even until late 2008, this place was really busy. a dozen new threads in the frontroom every day, but since ETW it has declined to maybe one or two new threads.
yall should have been around a few months ago. it was practically a ghost town here.
thankfully STW2 is coming so all you old folks are coming back!

To be fair, there was a surge with people complaining about ETW though.

andrewt
06-16-2010, 21:09
2001 represent.

I think that was even before the original STW's expansion or maybe slightly after.

Barkhorn1x
06-16-2010, 21:35
2001 represent.

I think that was even before the original STW's expansion or maybe slightly after.

I showed up 2001 right after the expansion - knowing NOTHING about the game. Saw it Costco for about $20.00 and remember seeing some screenshots of a battle. Turned out to be one of the best gaming experiences of my life. And, damn, I'm still here.

The Black Ship
06-16-2010, 21:41
I was an early player, and frankly it's the only game I ever really got into for multi-player. 4 v 4 battles were great fun. I gave up on MP with MTW, gradually dropped interest with RTW,and gave up on TW series with ETW. This is pretty much CA's last chance to ever get any more of my money.

Ibn-Khaldun
06-16-2010, 22:13
I was an early player, and frankly it's the only game I ever really got into for multi-player. 4 v 4 battles were great fun. I gave up on MP with MTW, gradually dropped interest with RTW,and gave up on TW series with ETW. This is pretty much CA's last chance to ever get any more of my money.

We all say that until the next TW game comes out. ~;)

quadalpha
06-16-2010, 23:25
I showed up 2001 right after the expansion - knowing NOTHING about the game. Saw it Costco for about $20.00 and remember seeing some screenshots of a battle. Turned out to be one of the best gaming experiences of my life. And, damn, I'm still here.

Ah, I was on holiday in China when STW came out, watching it in shop windows.

A Nerd
06-17-2010, 01:26
Saw it Costco for about $20.00 and remember seeing some screenshots of a battle. Turned out to be one of the best gaming experiences of my life.

I got the game in Costco as well, though it was 2001. When ever I go back to that store I am reminded of buying it. Having had such fun with it afterward. To think I almost passed it up because I though the battles would get old after awhile!

Barkhorn1x
06-18-2010, 01:54
Found my STW discs. Doubt the game would work on W7 64 bit tho'. Pitty.

edyzmedieval
06-18-2010, 02:03
I still have the original cardboard box it came in! And my manual is almost in mint shape!
Discs barely scratched. I kept my STW copy in a very good condition, and now I congratulate myself. I can play it without problems.

And I joined in 2005, pre-RTW. Back when MTW was in full swing.

Kurando
06-19-2010, 10:11

Hey, Ship's Ahoy! To be honest I had my fingers crossed that the next chapter in the totalwar series was going to be based in the U.S. Civil War era. I'm not sure why but Shogun 2 was the last thing I expected. It's a really great move by EA though. I'm pretty excited about it, it will be great to see some of the old crew show up, and it will bring lots of new people too. It really would be great if the online community could flourish again; those were some great times!

General Malaise
06-19-2010, 10:42
Found my STW discs. Doubt the game would work on W7 64 bit tho'. Pitty.

Shogun1 works fine on my i7-820QM, ATI HD5870, Windows7 64-bit laptop. Not sure what problems all these people who say STW1 won't work on new computers are having. Sure runs better now for me on that then it did on the machine I had when I first got it. :laugh4:

Tera
06-19-2010, 11:41
STW1 does not work with nVIDIA GeForce8xxx generation cards, which also includes Geforce9 and Geforce260/280 (they all are the same chip, just higher clocks). Only way it works is on Software Mode. That's the problem :(

Barkhorn1x
06-19-2010, 15:29
Shogun1 works fine on my i7-820QM, ATI HD5870, Windows7 64-bit laptop. Not sure what problems all these people who say STW1 won't work on new computers are having. Sure runs better now for me on that then it did on the machine I had when I first got it. :laugh4:

Wont' even start for me.

General Malaise
06-20-2010, 01:16
Does a black and/or flickering screen pop-up? If so, you might want to try a program called D3DWindower: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/603613-d3dwindower/ . When I've had problems like that with some games using program that to force the game into a smaller window/resolution and having the program emulate some older directx things worked. Click the plus+ button to find the .exe then the folder to change the settings and click on all of the directx ones and the computer icon to run it. Might help.

Barkhorn1x
06-20-2010, 15:24
Does a black and/or flickering screen pop-up? If so, you might want to try a program called D3DWindower: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/603613-d3dwindower/ . When I've had problems like that with some games using program that to force the game into a smaller window/resolution and having the program emulate some older directx things worked. Click the plus+ button to find the .exe then the folder to change the settings and click on all of the directx ones and the computer icon to run it. Might help.

Thanks but the darn thing will not even initialize/run - no matter what compatibility mode I use. Ahh well...I have my memories.

Rob
06-20-2010, 16:54
Shame that the online community has shrunk since STW. Some of us might come out of retirement for STW2 though :)

Catiline
06-21-2010, 12:34
Old faces!

I'm tempted to fire it up on the clock work PC at home next week. The online play's completely dead now I suppose.

edyzmedieval
06-21-2010, 16:44
Shame that the online community has shrunk since STW. Some of us might come out of retirement for STW2 though :)

I hope so too. Compared to you guys, me coming in 2005, I'm a newbie.

Togakure
06-24-2010, 19:06
Old faces!

I'm tempted to fire it up on the clock work PC at home next week. The online play's completely dead now I suppose.
S1TW fakeserver software is still around to my knowledge, and is not very complex to install and set up. The problem we had over and over was that players' router settings interfered with hosting games--most could not figure out how to get around it, and interest died when those few who could host weren't available as often as people wanted to play.

Playing S1TW online is not impossible. Last I heard, 7Bear7 had the last up-and-running S1TW fakeserver. BearBottom was hosting and maintaining it.

Duke John
06-24-2010, 19:40
R:TW was the last TW game I played and still I "regularly" check the Org on the latest news on new versions and reviews of people to decide wether I should buy the next TW game. Incredible how the Org keeps pulling back me after 5 years.

It is encouraging to see so many MP players anticipating S:TW2. If CA can deliver a good platfrom then I will be looking forward to waiting in the foyer again for a next game (still fondly remember those M:TW MP games with the Mizu clan).

:medievalcheers:
Cheers, DJ

Swoosh So
06-24-2010, 19:58
It all depends on a mp foyer imo, steam is like trying to run a game on facebook its awful

Sp00n
06-29-2010, 13:34
It all depends on a mp foyer imo, steam is like trying to run a game on facebook its awful

Indeed no MP foyer and online is DOA.

Can we mention Multiplayer foyer again?

Forward Observer
06-30-2010, 03:14

When I got my new rig last year I kept my old WinXP single core AGP based PC just to run older games. Since NVidia stopped making AGP based cards around the G6800, Shogun and Med 1 run just as they should. I'm playing though a Shimazu campaign currently. It's still fun if you can get past the god awful looking ancient sprite units.

Cheers

mic1402
07-04-2010, 03:01
i went from total war heaven to twc and since it's down im here. before now i had looked around here and lurked a bit. But wow, i am surprised how much this place has shrunk. it seems what happened at total war heaven happened here but to a lesser extent. over at twh there was alot of excitement about etw but not long after it was released it became a ghost town then ntw came out, no one was interested anymore. twc kept up interest from all the ranters over there. and the mods.

hopefully stw2 can bring people back to the fourms.

jodmeister
07-29-2010, 19:51
Hahahahaha....I see my old mate sp00n is still here.

I cannot believe this....SHOGUN2....I cannot wait.

I joined this forum 9yrs ago because of Shogun...the original and still the best.

I have played some of the others, infact just loaded up Rome again today.

So as soon as 2 comes along I'll be back around.

I fondly remember LUNCHBOX and his regular hosting of games.

Magyar, purpleblade, ToasInu and some others.

Good to be back.

JOD.

Sp00n
07-31-2010, 14:59
Hahahahaha....I see my old mate sp00n is still here.

I cannot believe this....SHOGUN2....I cannot wait.

I joined this forum 9yrs ago because of Shogun...the original and still the best.

I have played some of the others, infact just loaded up Rome again today.

So as soon as 2 comes along I'll be back around.

I fondly remember LUNCHBOX and his regular hosting of games.

Magyar, purpleblade, ToasInu and some others.

Good to be back.

JOD.

Jod great to see you here :) hope your well, should I now confess after 9 years that Purpleblade was my alt :P I'd almost forgotten that name lol

jodmeister
08-02-2010, 02:45
Hehehehehehe...yes it was you...purpleblade to sp00n......we had some great MP battles.

JOD.