PDA

View Full Version : Supply posts and replenishment

edyzmedieval
06-17-2010, 23:46
The idea taken from NTW.

Should we have supply posts and automatic replenishment? I'm not sure supply posts would make much of a sense in S2TW, but when your army gets decimated, resupplying anywhere does not make much sense either...

A Nerd
06-18-2010, 00:41
I never played NTW, but I always liked the idea of putting your army in a city or the like, and retraining them. Auto replenishment might better suit the AI however. If I understood your post correctly.

ReluctantSamurai
06-18-2010, 02:04
A traceable supply line might be desirable. Perhaps for armies larger than a certain size, as small (say less than or equal to 4 units) could be considered to 'live-off-the-land'.

I might also implement a more lengthy replenishment for units badly damaged (many games do this...require multiple turns to refit a badly mauled unit). This would mean no combining alike units...the player must individually refit each unit.

quadalpha
06-18-2010, 05:06
Well, resupplies (rather than merges) made sense for ETW because the army was recruited in regiments with identities of their own. Does anyone know how the armies were structured in the STW era? I assume the daimyo didn't carry a stack of unit cards, or trade them for rice.

Duke John
06-24-2010, 19:55
I think the armies always made sure they had a clear line of supply/communications. They accomplished this by capturing any castles/outposts en route to their objective.

Automatic replenishment sounds silly (but somewhat appropiate for NTW).

In my eyes Sengoku Jidai can be divided into two periods. The total war stage where Daimyos were busy carving out their own little domain (the early turns in S:TW) and Japan was falling apart and the stage where Daimyos would seek to reunite Japan (when you had your economy running, secured your home provinces and are ready to eliminate other clans).

In the former period few Daimyos could afford standing armies and as such field armies only existed for a short period of time. Replenishment thus only makes sense in the later period when armies where on campaign for an extended period.