PDA

View Full Version : Diplomatic 'Oddities'

Lucius Verenus
07-05-2010, 14:20
Thought I would start a thread on the strange universe of Diplomacy. This is for anything Dumb, infuriating, hilarious etc...

Reason is that I just had the most amazing diplomatic outcome.

It's March 1806, in 1805 Napoleon took a full stack and conquered GB - keeping the mainland but making Ireland a Protectorate.
On the continent Prussia declared war even though I had not taken Vienna, Vienna was taken in February 1806 and made peace and a trade agreement - even paid me for it.

I have two Generals and stacks in Hannover and have fought three heroic victory battles (with the crossed sword markers even) in Prussia, each time the victorious army has had to retreat to Hannover to replenish, so it's been a kind of tag-team war there :juggle2:

Anyway I was about to end turn but was nosing around the diplomatic screen and decided to do a typical AI diplomacy offer to Prussia.

I offered peace, demanded military access, demanded they break their alliances with Austria, Sweden and Russia, demanded they stop trading with them as well and demanded all the technologies they had which I didn't (only three). I also demanded a trade agreement
I offered 10 money in payment - hit the threaten button -and Prussia accepted :laugh4:

Then just to show the other side of things, Mecklenburg in at peace and has a trading agreement with me and has military access, I wanted military access to Mecklenburg to go after that pesky little stack of Swedes that have been sitting there from the start.

By the end of several attempts, I offered them all my technologies (8), 250 money per round for 10 rounds and they refused :dizzy2:

Anyone else got any good ones?

PS: Anyone else having problems loading twc - haven't been able to load the page for a cpl days :|

Fisherking
07-10-2010, 09:30
Glad to see you have it now!

My latest shock was I managed to win a game as Austria without going to war with anyone but the French.

I managed to buy the needed regions off not only the Prussian and the Russians but also from the Ottomans.

Now I won’t say the negotiations were simple or easy but in the end they agreed. Of course the huge armies on the borders might have also been a clue.

Lucius Verenus
07-11-2010, 06:32
Glad to see you have it now!

My latest shock was I managed to win a game as Austria without going to war with anyone but the French.

I managed to buy the needed regions off not only the Prussian and the Russians but also from the Ottomans.

Now I won’t say the negotiations were simple or easy but in the end they agreed. Of course the huge armies on the borders might have also been a clue.

Well I got it because all your posts saying it was worth it, so I can blame you if I decide I don't like it :laugh4:

I can't say I was overly thrilled with Napoleon's Italian Campaign, Egypt was a bit better, but I might revisit that at some point and ignore the objectives.

I have now got to Mid-July 1807 in Napoleons's Europe campaign, in clean-up mode after just wiping the Prussians out and 'liberating' Warsaw, now the Russians are after Konigsburg but they don't have enough muscle as I have 4 stacks closing in. Now I got Howitzers (don't like the 'experimental's)
and some armies are getting Young Guard units.

The CAI definitely seems to make better decisions, the Prussians tried outflanking me by taking Budapest (off Italy), but it was their attack on my protectorate Saxony that triggered hostilities.

It took three turns to eliminate them. Attacking from multiple directions at once made it impossible to stop me, but they did put up a good fight - six of my stacks are replenishing, and they did try to negotiate a peace with me which showed that diplomacy is a lot less 'Black Knight' than in ETW

Got a Battle with the Russians about to happen, they have fairly mixed army - BUT they have a reinforcement army of hordes of Cossacks, I have 6 Howitzer batteries, 4 Cav and a mix of line and Volts - this could get insane :laugh4:

Cheers

Lucius