PDA

View Full Version : PC Gamer Preview

Gregoshi
07-15-2010, 02:43
PC Gamer wrote a preview article. It touches on some of the speculation we've discussed here, namely castle sieges, heroes, supply, etc. Heroes don't sound like they will be one man army wrecking machines as feared - so far. Still no additional detail on MP other than they are trying for something big and MP is a much higher priority, but not yet willing to talk details. Anyway, here's the link: PC Gamer preview (http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/06/23/exclusive-shogun-ii-the-return-of-total-war/)

I'm still liking what I've read.

antisocialmunky
07-15-2010, 03:37
These characters will also have special abilities. That guy who cut off his own head on the way into battle? “You can imagine it: one-shot, it kills your character, but it buffs the whole army, and they all go, “Wow!” and frenzy for a while,” says Mike. Unfortunately, this is only an example of the kind of special abilities we’ll see. “We probably won’t put that in, because it was one guy who did that, and even then it might be apocryphal. He might have fallen over and cut himself.” Which would be a less special ability.

*insert LOL WUT picture*

Phog_of_War
07-15-2010, 03:39
Just finished reading the article. Everything sounds great. I already know I will like the LOOK of the game, the art style and the whole bit, and I love that we are finally going to be truly 'stuck in' again with the melee combat.

Now what I hear, or dont hear, about MP intrests me and makes me want to play MP right now.

This coming from a guy who's last satifying MP experience came from Medieval 1, baiting a large force of French knights with militia and swordsmen at the front of my battle line and hiding two units of high lvl Crusader Men-at-Arms in the trees and using them to spring the trap.
The French had just about as much chance of winning as, well, the French World Cup team did.

Monk
07-15-2010, 11:08
Heroes don't sound like they will be one man army wrecking machines as feared - so far.

I'm expecting them to turn out something like the Kensai, a gimmick or minor advantage upon first obtaining but if you get one to high honor watch out.

News about Naval Battles seems interesting, half the time in Empire it felt like you were fighting the wind far more than the enemy. More control is definitely a good thing.

I remain skeptical about the AI, but it's still nice to hear.

Daveybaby
07-16-2010, 14:21
Colour me cautiously optimistic.

Not sure about this though:

“In European naval wars, it’s really about who has the bigger gun platform,” explains Russell. “What we’re excited about in Japanese naval battles is that we can put in a lot more of the stone, scissors, paper gameplay where certain ships are better against other types of ships.”
RPS ships battles - woo!

Japanese ships typically fell into two categories: sheds on water, and castles on water. The shed-boats were small platforms carrying groups of soldiers. Those passengers could use the platform to pull alongside enemy ships and board them with swords, fire arrows from a distance, and watch the golf without being bothered by the kids. The castleboats were bigger platforms capable of carrying more people, but essentially the same.
That doesnt sound very RPS to me.

rory_20_uk
07-16-2010, 16:42
Do I need to micro the attrition as ships slowly drift together, the contents fight to the death in a confined space and then drift apart?

At least gun platforms could be interesting assuming AI

~:smoking:

Ja'chyra
07-16-2010, 17:49
News about Naval Battles seems interesting, half the time in Empire it felt like you were fighting the wind far more than the enemy. More control is definitely a good thing.

They were sailing ships, it's not about fighting the wind it's about reading it.

Basileus
07-16-2010, 22:52
I fell for the hype around Empire and i wont do it again, i´ll wait until its out and pass judgment if its a buy.

As much as i want it to be great those CA guys are great at hyping their games up lately :D

Viking Prince
07-19-2010, 07:39
There are now four turns a year, one for each season, rather than just two.

When was Shogun a two season game. Obviously this was meant to be referring to a change from the latest TW ames, but it just reads odd like the author is clueless about the game.

Gregoshi
07-19-2010, 13:35
When was Shogun a two season game. Obviously this was meant to be referring to a change from the latest TW ames, but it just reads odd like the author is clueless about the game.
I noticed that too. Just think how amazed he will be with the seasons when he plays the game for the first time. The wheel, rediscovered. :laugh4:

Swoosh So
07-20-2010, 22:03
Doesent really matter what they have planned for multiplayer, unless they provide the shogun 2 mp players a foyer its going to be fail.

Phog_of_War
07-27-2010, 04:12
I agree with you there Swoosh. A proper Foyer is an absolute must for MP. I get the feeling that CA and $EGA know this and will act accordingly.