PDA

View Full Version : New trailer

Martok
07-29-2010, 08:09
Linky (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-gameplay-shogun-2/702267)

Well they've certainly got the visuals down. Now it remains to be seen how the rest of the game -- the important parts -- turn out....

Gregoshi
07-29-2010, 13:10
Wow! That looks stunning, but I'm with you Martok - the game play is key. I can't wait to see/read more details about game play.

Swoosh So
07-29-2010, 16:45
Thats gorgeous! if they dont put a multiplayer chat foyer in this ill effing kill them :)

Sp00n
07-29-2010, 17:24
Looks great, but they always do, foyer and an improved campaign is all we need now.

Monk
07-29-2010, 19:49
Looks great, but they always do, foyer and an improved campaign is all we need now.

Indeed, visuals have never been a problem in the total war series, but it's something for now. I'll have to add my voice to the others already saying it, lets see some meat on those bones CA. ~D

Kagemusha
07-29-2010, 20:12
Just lovely!:happy: We really have to give big hand to Jack Lusted and guys working under him in unit development. What i see is just perfection.

jodmeister
07-29-2010, 20:20
Awesome....just awesome.

JOD.

Myrddraal
07-31-2010, 11:20
Those horse animations look pretty slick too. EDIT: although I think I just saw a unit of cavalry ride through an infantry unit without breaking stride (or anyone dying for that matter).

mountaingoat
07-31-2010, 15:03
engine looks very slick from what few seconds were shown .. where they charging with katanas at the end??

antisocialmunky
07-31-2010, 15:17
Did anyone not see the 3 ninjas in the trailer the first time?

Myrddraal
07-31-2010, 21:19
What ninjas? No seriously, :inquisitive:

A Nerd
07-31-2010, 21:20
I would have replied sooner about the ninja, I couldn't see any either. I wasn't sure if he was joking or not.

Togakure
07-31-2010, 21:32
He's a high-honor shinobi, and they're high-honor ninja. That's why we can't see them.

hoom
08-01-2010, 05:49
In this video they are doing European style rowing on the ships & seems to be quite few oars for such big & solid looking ships.

I was watching the Shogun TV series recently & was a bit surprised to see the multi-oared boat using sculling method.
Apparently the Chinese used sculling so chances must be pretty high that Japanese did too.
Also they apparently considered a single scull oar as worth about 3 European type oars, which would explain the relatively few oars.

So I hope that CA will change the animation.

Other than that, I'm kinda not amazed here.
Looks very nice & all but doesn't actually give any indication of how it will actually play.

Swoosh So
08-01-2010, 11:49
Im not sold on the whole sea/land battle mix i cant really see it working.

Gregoshi
08-01-2010, 16:10
Swoosh, we are just going to have to wait and see on the land/sea battle as well as a number of other features of interest/concern such as the hero units. It's the waiting that's the hard part.

Question on ETW/NTW: did they have battle replays? The closeup views shown in this video, while spectacular to look at, would not be the best view point to actually fight a battle. However, if there is replay capability, then the zoomed in view would be awesome to use.

Swoosh So
08-01-2010, 16:25
Most likely they were made using the ingame cinematic editor thats been present since rome totalwar check this youtube video and channel to see what can be done with it.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sin329?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/22/_bcaAWiHDSw this guys videos are great.

I agree tho and its a great idea that deserves its own thread to have a cinematic camera option when viewing replays. (yes replays are enabled in ntw but the views are standard as far as i know)

Gregoshi
08-01-2010, 22:39
That's pretty cool Swoosh. I don't recall the RTW had an ingame cinematic editor, but then, I didn't spend loads of time with the game to explore all the features.

I was "analyzing" this latest trailer again looking for details I may have overlooked. One out-in-the-open bit I completely didn't question before now has me curious. The three (Takeda?) men watching the invasion fleet come - any idea what they are? Scouts? Are we seeing a new kind of unit? What kind effect would they have on the battles? How would they function - just extending your vision of the battlefield? Or is this a "formation" you can put a unit in that scatters it out over a wide area to locate the enemy? Anyone have a thought on this?

Myrddraal
08-02-2010, 02:29
Hmm, I thought those were for the dramatic effect of the video. Although it says all footage was taken in game, that's not the same as saying this is a gameplay trailer.

Gregoshi
08-02-2010, 02:52
If that is the case Myrddraal, then I'm a little disappointed.

Myrddraal
08-02-2010, 03:57
Well I say that because it seems to me that the entire sequence is too long to be a battle intro. We see ships, scouts, night falls, armies gather, leave the fort...

I just get the impression that this was made up of several sequences of in game footage to tell a story, rather than to show the game as it will be played. An official machinima if you like.

pevergreen
08-02-2010, 11:19
I agree.

I'd say those 3 horsemen were just 3 units of 1 horseman in each.

Myrddraal
08-03-2010, 15:34
I just noticed though, one of the horsemen mounts in the video... This is footage from the game, albeit used cinematically. Does this mean we'll be seeing units mounting and dismounting in game?

Kagemusha
08-03-2010, 15:36
I just noticed though, one of the horsemen mounts in the video... This is footage from the game, albeit used cinematically. Does this mean we'll be seeing units mounting and dismounting in game?

It suggests so and this would be infact a very accurate thing as most samurai specially during the later part of the era fought on foot, while moved around mounted.

hoom
08-03-2010, 23:29
Empire has Dragoons that can mount/dismount repeatedly within battle so I wouldn't be surprised if Shogun II has the capability too.

Nelson
08-04-2010, 01:07
Dismounting cavalry when you want would be a nice addition. I never understood why CA removed the ability from Medieval 2 after having it in the first edition.

Samurai occasionally had retainers on foot follow them while they rode. A mixed unit would not be incorrect.

hoom
08-06-2010, 08:56
Hmm, mixed units is actually possible now I think.
If you dismount dragoons their horses can be shot separately, then when you re-mount if there are more soldiers than horses you get a few guys following behind on foot.

Dragoons are nothing special as infantry so I don't dismount them often but I always found it an interesting trade-off whether or not to dismount Chivalric Knights in Medieval; they could provide an excellent anchor for weak parts of the line or spearhead an assault to break into a castle etc, but then they were very good & expensive cavalry so the loss of the mobile force could be more important than the infantry strength gained.