PDA

View Full Version : Sengoku Trivia Quiz

Kagemusha
08-04-2010, 13:10
While warming up during the development of the CA´s featured title. Here is little something for anyone interested about the subject of STW 2, Sengoku Trivia Quiz.

The rules are simple:

I will start by making a question about anything related to the period and the first one who knows the right answer can then ask their own question and the game continues from there. If no one knows the answer to the question, the one making the question can give tips in order for the right answer to be revealed.

1st Question:

What was the name of the Daimyo family started by Ise Shinkuro?

Andres
08-04-2010, 13:31
Isn't that the one who's also known Hojo Soun?

Founder of the Hojo clan?

Kagemusha
08-04-2010, 13:35
Isn't that the one who's also known Hojo Soun?

Founder of the Hojo clan?

Aaand we have the correct answer! Yes that was the original name of the founder of so called late or Odawara Hojo Clan that many of us remember from the original STW. Andres please ask the 2nd question.:bow:

Andres
08-04-2010, 14:23
I was a servant of the Oda clan. Allthough I plotted against my master, he spared my live and I rose to a powerful position within the clan. After the dead of my master, I lost the struggle for power against the son of a peasant and I committed seppuku in 1583. Who am I?

seireikhaan
08-04-2010, 14:27
I was a servant of the Oda clan. Allthough I plotted against my master, he spared my live and I rose to a powerful position within the clan. After the dead of my master, I lost the struggle for power against the son of a peasant and I committed seppuku in 1583. Who am I?
Shibata Katsuie.

Andres
08-04-2010, 14:29
Shibata Katsuie.

Ding ding ding!

Correct!

:bow:

seireikhaan
08-04-2010, 14:38
Ok, this one shouldn't be too hard.

I betrayed my lord when I marched my army back to his residence and slew him. My bid for power ended quickly at the hands of one of his most famous retainers, who delivered my head to my lord's grave.

Kagemusha
08-04-2010, 14:40
Ok, this one shouldn't be too hard.

I betrayed my lord when I marched my army back to his residence and slew him. My bid for power ended quickly at the hands of one of his most famous retainers, who delivered my head to my lord's grave.

Akechi Mitsuhide

seireikhaan
08-04-2010, 14:43
Akechi Mitsuhide
Yup, your go.

Kagemusha
08-04-2010, 14:49
Allright.:bow: Ok lets try something bit harder.
I was apart of a very famous family that at times held the title of Kanrei. I served two Shoguns and in a campaign that resulted in creation of a new Shogunate. My enemies respected me so much that while besieging my castle, they shot my walls with cannons that were only loaded with gunpowder without any projectile.Who am i?

Cecil XIX
08-04-2010, 15:46
This is just a shot in the dark, but Uesugi Kagekatsu?

Kagemusha
08-04-2010, 15:47
This is just a shot in the dark, but Uesugi Kagekatsu?

Nope.

Andres
08-04-2010, 15:49
Uesugi Kenshin, perhaps?

Kagemusha
08-04-2010, 16:04
Uesugi Kenshin, perhaps?

Nope i will hint that i am not from Uesugi family.

Tsar Alexsandr
08-04-2010, 21:55
I know the answer! The answer is Hosokawa Fujitaka! :D

Kagemusha
08-04-2010, 21:59
I know the answer! The answer is Hosokawa Fujitaka! :D

And we have a winner!.:bow:Its your turn.

Tsar Alexsandr
08-04-2010, 22:04
And we have a winner!.:bow:Its your turn.

Alright. :D Here's my question.

"I was the lord of Odani castle. I fought against my brother in law, Nobunaga Oda, because of my ally the Asakura clan. Who am I?"

Gregoshi
08-04-2010, 22:16
Could I make a suggestion here? Could either the answerer or questioner provide some more details around the answer or maybe a link to more information? The little tidbits of info in the question are rather tantalizing. It would also make the thread more interesting to read apart from the challenge of answering the question.

Tsar Alexsandr
08-04-2010, 22:25
Could I make a suggestion here? Could either the answerer or questioner provide some more details around the answer or maybe a link to more information? The little tidbits of info in the question are rather tantalizing. It would also make the thread more interesting to read apart from the challenge of answering the question.

You've got it. :D

"I was Lord of Odani castle. I was an ally of Nobunaga Oda and his brother-in-law. When he attacked my allies, the Asakura, I joined Yoshikage Asakura in his fight against the Oda. At Anegawa, we fought a stalemate. On my side, our small force did well against Nobunaga Oda's larger force. And on my ally's side, the Asakura faired poorly against the smaller Tokugawa forces. In the end though, I lost out to Nobunaga Oda. My wife went on to marry his vassal Katsuie Shibata. Who am I?"

Gregoshi
08-04-2010, 22:30
Nice Tsar :thumbsup: Just to clarify - provide the extra info only AFTER the question has been answered correctly. You don't want to give away too much information and make it easy.

Tsar Alexsandr
08-04-2010, 22:35
Nice Tsar :thumbsup: Just to clarify - provide the extra info only AFTER the question has been answered correctly. You don't want to give away too much information and make it easy.

Oh okay. ^_^; Sorry. Anyhow, it should make it easier lol. :D

caravel
08-05-2010, 10:23
You've got it. :D

"I was Lord of Odani castle. I was an ally of Nobunaga Oda and his brother-in-law. When he attacked my allies, the Asakura, I joined Yoshikage Asakura in his fight against the Oda. At Anegawa, we fought a stalemate. On my side, our small force did well against Nobunaga Oda's larger force. And on my ally's side, the Asakura faired poorly against the smaller Tokugawa forces. In the end though, I lost out to Nobunaga Oda. My wife went on to marry his vassal Katsuie Shibata. Who am I?"
*cough*

Andres
08-05-2010, 11:54
I don't think *cough* is the right answer ~;p

Asai Nagamasa?

@Gregoshi's request: some info about Shibata Katsuie: http://www.samurai-archives.com/katsuie.html

Kagemusha
08-05-2010, 13:16
Me thinks its time for the most honourable Asai Nagamasa to ask the rest of us his question, regardless of certain honorary Texans efforts of stealling the honour of right answer.~;p

caravel
08-05-2010, 13:35
The son of a famous Daimyo, my young son was made heir to the clan by my father but I was effective ruler of the clan after the lord's death. After my clan's final defeat I commited Seppuku along with my son. Who am I?

(easy one)

AggonyDuck
08-05-2010, 14:09
Takeda Katsuyori.

caravel
08-05-2010, 14:13
Correct.

Tsar Alexsandr
08-05-2010, 18:16
Congratulations Asai Nagamasa. XD There is truely no more ironic person to answer my question lol.

Some fact on Fujitaka Hosokawa from my earlier question. Fujitaka Hosokawa was by extension part of the Fujiwara clan. And thus, high ranking nobility. Hosokawa was also a famous poet in his day. Fujitaka served the shogun Yoshiteru Ashikaga, and then latter the Shogun Yoshiaki Ashikaga. He would faithfully serve the shogun for a long time, but would be drawn over to Nobunaga Oda's camp. He served Nobunaga Oda, and was even speculated, or rather a gamble on Mitsuhide's part as an ally to help him finalize his victory over the Oda and the Toyotomi at Yamazaki. Of course, Fujitaka Hosokawa, a clever politician from the start, did not believe in his son in law's chances. So Fujitaka Hosokawa and his son Tadoki Hosokawa came against Mitsuhide Akechi, allying with the Toyotomi. This helped secure the Hosokawa clan's position. By the time of Sekigahara, the Hosokawa had chosen a new ally, the Tokugawa. It was during the battle of Sekigahara that Fujitaka Hosokawa's castle was bombarded by cannons loaded with nothing but gunpowder. During the same time, Masayuki Sanada on the Western forces side, was also defending his castle.

And about Nagamasa Asai. (Azai.)

Nagamasa Asai was a brilliant general. In one battle against the Rokkaku clan, the Asai were outnumbered 2 to 1. Under Nagamasa's leadership the smaller Asai won the battle, against all odds. Though they were long under the yoke of the Rokkaku clan, Nagamasa had at last broken them free of the other clan's dominion. The Asai clan dethroned Nagamasa Asai's father, Hisamasa, and made Nagamasa the clan's head. Hisamasa bowed to the clan's decision and allowed his son to lead. Around the same time, Nobunaga Oda was securing his hold over Owari and had his eyes set on Mino. He had his sister Oichi, married to Katsuie Shibata at the time, sent to Nagamasa Asai and the two were married. Nagamasa Asai and Nobunaga Oda were officially allies. But as the Oda encroached on Asai and Asakura land, tensions mounted. Hisamasa Asai grew to resent the Oda and their famous leader Nobunaga. Hisamasa would urge the clan to fight the Oda, and of course, when Nobunaga Oda attacked the Asakura Nagamasa Asai chose to honor his families long lasting alliance with the Asakura. If it was purely his decision or his fathers, it does not really matter. It would be hard to know for sure. Nagamasa Asai would fight against the Oda at Anegawa. Although the Asai performed splendidly in the battle, it was inconclusive. The Asakura were isolated and defeated. And soon, the Asai, left without allies were left to fight against the Oda alone. Most stories indicate that Asai Nagamasa chose to commit seppuku rather than surrender to the Oda. Oichi and her children were spared.

Gregoshi
08-06-2010, 04:14
Awesome write up Tsar. :bow: It clearly demonstrate the beauty of this period as far as being perfect for a TW game - lots of clans, lots of political intrigue and lots of fighting.

Tsar Alexsandr
08-06-2010, 04:32
Awesome write up Tsar. :bow: It clearly demonstrate the beauty of this period as far as being perfect for a TW game - lots of clans, lots of political intrigue and lots of fighting.

You're welcome. ^_^

I wrote it up cause I thought people might find it interesting. :D

Kagemusha
08-06-2010, 06:24
Allright Duckie.I think it is your turn to present us with a question.:bow:

AggonyDuck
08-06-2010, 15:37
I was a member of the Twenty-Four Generals and I was famous for dressing my men in bright red armour. According to legend I was asked by my master on his deathbed to plan his banners at the Seta Bridge, the eastern gateway to Kyoto. Who was I?

caravel
08-06-2010, 15:50
Yamagata Masakage one of Shingen's 24.

AggonyDuck
08-06-2010, 16:11
Correct!

caravel
08-06-2010, 16:22
Born in Omi and rose to become a bugyo under the administration of the second of the three great unifiers, I was present at Sekigahara on the losing side and was captured and executed. Who am I?

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
08-06-2010, 16:38
Ishida Mitsunari?

caravel
08-06-2010, 16:41
Correct - your question.

08-06-2010, 22:23
Hmmmm, I do my best :yes:. Kinda easy.

I was the 9th Lord of the Imagawa family, who had his head lopped off during a surprise attack on my camp while I was trying to get a good night's sleep.

Tsar Alexsandr
08-07-2010, 04:06
How do you do Lord Yoshimoto Imagawa? :D

08-07-2010, 15:38
How do you do Lord Yoshimoto Imagawa? :D

I'm headless! :laugh4:

Correct,your turn! :book:

Tsar Alexsandr
08-07-2010, 20:54
That's too bad. :D

Alright. Here's mine.

"I fought against my nemesis, the Hatekeyama and defeated them. Having unified the northernmost lands of Japan, I found myself having to submit to the authority of Hideyoshi Toyotomi, and helped him defeat the Hojo. After Hideyoshi died though, I joined forces with Ieyasu Tokugawa. I tried to join the Tokugawa at Sekigahara, but was help up by Kanetsugu Naoe and the forces of the Uesugi. I was at Osaka though, and played a pivotal role in that battle! Who am I?"

Kagemusha
08-08-2010, 08:29
Date Masamune?

Tomisama
08-08-2010, 13:37
Date Masamune?
https://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/tomisama/Date_Masamune_Large.jpg

A little extra trivia; this is Date Masamune, pictured in the Shogun 2 graphic.

https://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/tomisama/screenshot_232291.jpg

Kagemusha
08-08-2010, 15:38
Yes that picture portraits the external things well which made him so easy to regognice. Masamune had a possible birth defect that made his other eye blind since birth possibly. For that he earned the nickname of "One eyed Dragon". Also in the picture you can also see his famous moon crescent helmet. Masamune was also famous for dressing all his troops from lowliest ashigaru to himself in type of armor called Okegawa- Do, which made his army very uniformed and no doubt enhanced the esprit de corps. Just as trivia it has been rumoured that Date Masamunes armour was used as inspiration, when George Lucas made research in order to create the famous look for Darth Vader. Here is a picture about a modern replica made of Masamune´s famous armour:

https://a.imageshack.us/img208/3190/mamame2.jpg

Here is additional information concerning this famous Sendai warlord provided by Samurai Archives.com, for those who like to read more about him:

http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.php?title=Date_Masamune

Date Masamune
From SamuraiWiki

* Born: 1566
* Died: 1636
* Other names: Tojirô Masamune
* Titles: Echizen no Kami, Mutsu no Kami

Date Masaume was the eldest son of Date Terumune, a lord of the Rikuzen area of Mutsu. His mother was a daughter of Mogami Yoshimori. Masamune was born in September 1566 at Yonezawa and first went by the name Botenmaru. He received the name Tojirô Masamune in 1578 and the following year was married to the daughter of Tamura Kiyoaki. He went on his first campaign in 1581, helping his father fight the Soma family.

Masamune assumed control of the Date in 1584 with the retirement of his father. Shortly afterwards, he suffered the defection of a Date retainer named Ouchi Sadatsuna to the Ashina of the Aizu region. Masamune declared war on the Ashina in retaliation. However, Masamune's army was halted at Hibara by the Ashina general, Iwashiro Morikuni, and forced to retreat. Three months later, Masamune besieged the Ouchi's stronghold at Otemori and inflicted a terrible price on the traitors, allegedly putting some 800 people of all ages to the sword. When word of this slaughter reached the Ouchi at Obama Castle, they burned Obama and fled. At the same time, tensions between the Date and their traditional rivals the Hatakeyama began to flare. The lord of the Hatakeyama, Yoshitsugu, evidently attempted to make peace with Masamune on a number of occasions, but the latter, young and hot-blooded, rebuffed each advance. Finally, Yoshitsugu turned to Terumune to mediate. The two former rivals sat down and feasted together in a most cordial manner. The following day, Yoshitsugu ostensibly came to thank Terumune for the enjoyable dinner. He then kidnapped Terumune at sword point, an act both unheard of and shocking. When Masamune returned from a morning of falconry to learn of his father's abduction, he called his men to arms and set off after Hatakeyama's entourage. They caught up with Hatakeyama near the Abukuma River. Terumune cried out for Masamune to open fire on them, regardless of his own safety, but his son hesitated. In the confusion, Terumune was cut down and Yoshitsugu somehow escaped to his castle of Nihonmatsu.
Date Masamune, with his trademark crescent moon helmet crest.
Enlarge
Date Masamune, with his trademark crescent moon helmet crest.

A general war ensued between the Date and Hatakeyama, the Hatakeyama drawing on support from the Satake, Ashina, Soma, and other local clans. The allies marched to within a half-mile of Masamune's Motomiya-jo, assembling some 30,000 troops for the attack. Masamune, having only 7,000 warriors of his own, prepared a defensive strategy, relying on the series of forts that guarded the approaches to Motomiya. The fighting began on the 17th of November, and did not progress well for the Date. Three of his valuable forts were taken, and one of his chief retainers, Moniwa Yoshinao, was killed in a duel with an opposing commander. The attackers pressed towards the Seto River, which was the last obstacle between them and Motomiya. Date attempted to turn them back at the Hitadori Bridge, but was driven back. Masamune brought his remaining forces within Motomiya's walls, and prepared for what would surely be a gallant but futile last stand. But the next morning, no doubt to the amazed relief of the Date warriors, the main enemy contingent picked up and marched away. These were Satake Yoshishige's men, their lord having received word that in his absence the Satomi had attacked his lands in Hitachi. Apparently this left the allies with fewer men than they believed possible to bring down Motomiya, for they too had retreated by the end of the day. This brush with utter defeat was likely a factor in turning Masamune into the renowned general he would one day be known as. In his youth, Masamune had suffered a bout with small pox that caused an infection in his right eye-which he plucked out himself. Combined with his early aggressive and unstable demeanor, Masamune would earn the tag 'One-eyed Dragon'. That nickname would stick, but became one of respect.

In the wake of the battle, peace was struck with the Hatakeyama and Soma, although this was to prove short-lived.

In 1589, Date defeated the Soma, and bribed an important Ashina retainer, Inawashiro Morikuni, over to his side. He then assembled a powerful force and marched straight for the Ashina's headquarters at Kurokawa. The Date and Ashina forces met at Suriagehara on 5 June, and Masamune's forces carried the day, Masamune leading a charge against faltering Ashina ranks, and breaking them. Unfortunately for the Ashina, Date men had destroyed their avenue of escape, a bridge over the Nitsubashi River, and those who did not drown attempting to swim to safety were mercilessly put to the sword. By the battle's end, Masamune could count something like 2,300 enemy heads in one of the more bloody and decisive battles of the Sengoku period to happen in the far north.

This would be Date Masamune's last expansionist adventure, however. With the coming of the next year Hideyoshi besieged the Hojo's Odawara castle. Hideyoshi ordered Date to participate, which he did, though it is said he put off his arrival so that his spies could report on the likely victor. Since the outcome of the siege was obvious, Date presented himself before Hideyoshi and apologized for his lateness. Following the conclusion of the siege, however, Hideyoshi ordered Date to relinquish his newly won holdings in Aizu (perhaps using Date's tardiness as a pretext) and be content with Yonezawa (200,000 koku), a much-reduced income that doubtlessly did not sit so well with Masamune.

In 1592, Date served in Hideyoshi's headquarters at Nagoya on Kyushu during the Korean invasion. Three years later, he found himself implicated in the suspected treason of Toyotomi Hidetsugu and was ordered to pack up and move his household to Iyo on Shikoku, an unthinkable fate (to Date) averted through the good offices of Tokugawa Ieyasu. All in all, it is not surprising that Date readily joined Tokugawa when war came between the latter and Ishida Mitsunari began in 1600. He had already married a son to one of Ieyasu's daughters (an act which in itself had aggravated tensions between Ieyasu and his fellow san-bugyo members) and was likely contemplating how best his remote forces could aid Tokugawa when war began. In the event, he and Mogami Yoshiakira of Dewa held the forces of Uesugi Kagekatsu at bay, with Masamune's first contribution to the war effort being the Siege of Hataya. The battles in the north culminated with Masamune's attack on Fukushima Castle. Date and Mogami's efforts allowed Tokugawa to move west in confidence, and, of course, the campaign culminated in the total victory at Sekigahara in October 1600. In the aftermath, Date's lands were enlarged to 600,000 koku, and he built a new castle town (Aoba-jo) at Sendai.

In 1613 an interesting chain of events unfolded. Masamune, largely lenient towards the Christians in his lands, interceded on the behalf of a certain Father Soteho who had been condemned to death for preaching his faith in Japan in defiance of the anti-Christian edicts. Soteho was released and sent to Sendai, where Date asked if he might arrange for a trade mission to Europe, accompanied by a few Date retainers. Soteho agreed, and Ieyasu reluctantly consented to Masamune's requests for authorization, despite fears that the crafty Date was somehow fishing for European aid in a possible overthrow of the Tokugawa. Masamune dispatched Hasekura Tsunenaga (1571-1622) to head the mission, which returned seven years later. The long-time travelers found that Date had been pressured into initiating a persecution in his territory, and Soteho, arriving at Nagasaki, was once again condemned to death, and this time burned. Though Date's embassy had come to naught, he maintained his status as a first rate general, serving in the Osaka Campaigns (1614,1615). His somewhat unusual and at times controversial manner of doing things was best demonstrated by an incident that occurred during the 1615 siege. Evidently, Masamune became frustrated at the lack of aggression on the part of friendly troops under Jinbo Sukemochi, and ordered his own men to let off a few rifle volleys in their direction to goad them into action. Needless to say, this was not an act well looked upon by his fellow generals.

When Ieyasu was on his deathbed in 1616, Masamune was one of the last of the great daimyo to see him, presenting his overlord with a piece of Zen poetry. Yet, while they were ostensibly on very good terms, Tokugawa (nor anyone else for that matter) never fully trusted the unfathomable lord of Sendai. A number of anecdotes have survived that paint the picture of a lord with an attitude both unreadable and outspoken. In addition, Masamune had a keen appreciation of the arts, despite his rustic background.

When Masamune died (1636), he was succeeded by his son Tadamune (d.1658).

Masamune's sons included Hidemune, Tadamune, Munekiyo, Munetsuna, Munetaka, and Munekatsu.

The Katakura, Shiroishi, Endo, Rusu, Oniniwa, and Hasekura clans served the Date loyally.

Gregoshi
08-08-2010, 17:57
Great stuff!!!! :bow:

Tomisama
08-08-2010, 19:34
That's too bad. :D

Alright. Here's mine.

"I fought against my nemesis, the Hatekeyama and defeated them. Having unified the northernmost lands of Japan, I found myself having to submit to the authority of Hideyoshi Toyotomi, and helped him defeat the Hojo. After Hideyoshi died though, I joined forces with Ieyasu Tokugawa. I tried to join the Tokugawa at Sekigahara, but was help up by Kanetsugu Naoe and the forces of the Uesugi. I was at Osaka though, and played a pivotal role in that battle! Who am I?"

However; honestly I was not able to match "all" of the criteria of the question to Masamune.

Helping Hideyoshi defeat the Hojo, well he was intentionally late to the battle because he was sizing up the winner before he got there, and really got in trouble over that one.

And tried to join Tokugawa at Sekigahara? From what a preliminary scan of the material could reveal (as I am certainly not an expert), Masamune was there for the battle.

Am I incorrect and Kagemusha takes the next turn, or should we continue to search for the intended Daimyo?

Tsar Alexsandr
08-09-2010, 18:18
Kagemusha said Date Masamune first, and that is correct.

Hmm. Are you sure? I'm pretty sure Date Masamune was late because of the Uesugi. And he was present at the siege of Odawara. Present. Not particularly involved, but he was there. I believe Toyotomi Hideyoshi punished him for that as well. (further drawing him over to the Tokugawa's side.)

I'm not a expert either. But I am sort of a novice historian... XD And the Sengoku era is one of my specialties. I'm pretty sure I got that information straight. Oh, I re-read it and I see your issues. "helped the Toyotomi defeat the Hojo might be one." Well he was there, albiet late. So he did... but, eh, not as much as he could have. On the other one, I'm pretty sure Masamune Date was at the battle late. Along with a lot of other people. (So he wasn't alone in that regard anyhow.) It's hard to write a question completely accurately, sorry if the way I wrote it was kind of confusing. I could have wrote it different for sure.

More information about Masamune Date. Masamune was the first daimyo to establish a uniform for his forces. (mentioned earlier in this thread.) Their equipment was all gold and black. Masamune Date was also present at the siege of Osaka where his mounted teppou cavalry played a very decisive role in that battle. Also in that battle, Masamune Date ordered that an ally be fired at for sitting around while the battle was going on. You'd better give it your all with him around it seems! This didn't exactly endear him to his allies. Masamune Date was sometimes considered rash, but his skill in battle was undeniable. When he returned to Sendai, (some credit him as founding Sendai, the truth is he just made it better.) he restored many sites of historical significance. Especially stuff related to the Taira and the Minnamoto. He himself was a Fujiwara, back in his bloodline anyhow, and his ancestor was in the vanguard in the attack on Yoshitsune Minnamoto in Oushu. (Thus how the Date family got in the north in the first place.) Many historical items of his still exist to this day. Including letters to the Pope, and writings of his own.

A very impressive daimyo for sure. :D

Tomisama
08-09-2010, 20:44
Then the next question comes from Kagemusha :smile:

Just a thought, it might be a good idea to keep a running list of trivia subjects (not whole questions) on the first post, so we don’t start repeating our selves.

Great topic by the way; Thanks!

"Rectitude carried to excess hardens into stiffness; benevolence indulged beyond measure sinks into weakness." Date Masamune

Kagemusha
08-10-2010, 11:07
Tomisama, good idea about the questions. I will edit in numbers for the questions and compile them in the first post.:bow:
All right next one:

"I fought in over 60 battles and was not wounded even once. I was called as "Samurai among Samurai". Who am i ?"

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-10-2010, 18:45
I'm going to take a guess but I don't think it is right since he mostly fought duels and not battles, Miyamoto Musashi?

Cecil XIX
08-10-2010, 23:45
Tomisama, good idea about the questions. I will edit in numbers for the questions and compile them in the first post.:bow:
All right next one:

"I fought in over 60 battles and was not wounded even once. I was called as "Samurai among Samurai". Who am i ?"

I'd stake my life it was this man:

https://img834.imageshack.us/img834/4719/tadakatsuhonda.png
Tadakatsu Honda shall make orphans of your souls!

Kagemusha
08-11-2010, 02:13
Correct answer Cecil XIX!Please tell us some more of this fellow and make your own question.:bow:

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-11-2010, 04:49
Ahh Tadakatsu Honda, champion of the Mikawa warriors under Tokugawa, that makes sense.

Cecil XIX
08-12-2010, 15:23
The only other thing I know about Tadakatsu that hasn't been mentioned is that his spear was known as the "Tonbo-Giri", or Dragonfly Cutter. So called because it was said that if a dragonfly rested on it the insect would be sliced in two. The spear is known as one of "The Three Great Spears of Japan", and the man was one of "The Four Guardians of the Tokugawa".

Also, he has an awesome theme song. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8xo0UzPsg4&feature=related)

All right, here's my question.

My father and grandfather served the Takeda clan, but I am best known for serving the Toyotomi. I fought in the last battle of the Sengoku era, and for my exploits some called me "The Greatest Warrior in Japan." Who am I?

AggonyDuck
08-12-2010, 17:13
Sanada Yukimura.

Tsar Alexsandr
08-13-2010, 07:06
Tadakatsu Honda served the Tokugawa since Ieyasu's Tokogawa's time serving the Imagawa. (At which time Ieyasu was known as Motoyasu Matsudaira.) Tadakatsu Honda is said to have never been injured in battle. His famous spear, Tonbo-Giri, as mentioned above was a highly famed weapon. After Sekigahara, the man who Shingen described as a "Luxury of the Tokugawa" began to lose favor with the Tokugawa. Tadakatsu Honda had allowed his daughter to marry the son of Masayuki Sanada. Yukimura's brother, Nobuyuki Sanada. It was Tadakatsu who called Yukimura "The Greatest Soldier in Japan." Where as Tadakatsu was called, "The greatest Samurai." Tadakatsu called Yukimura this because Yukimura escaped his relative imprisonment to come to the aid of the Toyotomi. A feat of great skill, courage, and loyalty. Of Nobuyuki Tadakatsu called him, "The most sincere young man he had ever known." And so allowed him to marry his daughter Inahime. Allowing his daughter to marry into the Sanada clan was not a popular decision. And Tadakatsu suffered for it. He was no rewarded nearly as much as other retainers of the Tokugawa after Ieyasu united the land. He was however, completely loyal. Even with his diminished status. He was, and is still known as a great warrior, and played a crucial role in countless battles for the Tokugawa.

Kagemusha
08-13-2010, 13:53
Another famous feature concerning Tadakatsu was his armour,particularly his helmet, which was decorated with deer antlers.Here is a modern replica of his famous armour:

https://a.imageshack.us/img718/2018/img10592138598.jpg

Cecil XIX
08-13-2010, 14:48
My apologies for being slow here, but yes, AggonyDuck has it correct.

AggonyDuck
08-14-2010, 22:26
According to legend; during the end of Hideyoshi's Kyushu campaign, this Shimazu retainer, famed for his bravery, took to the hills to continue to the struggle instead of seeing his clan endure the shame of defeat. However, unbeknownst to him, the war ended in a generous peace offer by Hideyoshi that brought peace between the Shimazu and the Toyotomi. As the Toyotomi army was withdrawing from Satsuma, the vanguard found its way barred by this retainer and his small band of samurai. The Toyotomi samurai tried to make it clear that peace had been agreed upon, but it was only after seeing the arrival of the rest of Hideyoshi's army that he saw the absurdity of his situation. Thus he became the last Satsuma samurai to lay down his sword. Who was he?

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-14-2010, 23:06
I'm not entirely sure, but Shimazu Yoshihiro?

AggonyDuck
08-14-2010, 23:11
Nope.

AggonyDuck
08-15-2010, 01:29
As this can be pretty hard to find out with just google/wiki, I'll give you some more advice. The source material for this question is Stephen Turnbull's Samurai: A Military History.

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-15-2010, 02:40
Ah, well as much as I love the period I can't find alot of matierial on it.

Tsar Alexsandr
08-15-2010, 04:59
Hmm. You've got me stumped Agonyduck.

But I'll wager a guess. Tadatomo Niiro?

Tsar Alexsandr
08-15-2010, 05:03
Tadamoto Niiro. I spelled it wrong.

AggonyDuck
08-15-2010, 09:52
Yup, correct!

Tomisama
08-15-2010, 15:25
In total trivia mode I looked up the equivalent of Aggony Duck in Japanese.

Kutsuu Ahiru

Is what I came up with.

No guarantees on correctness…lol

Edit:

Kunou Magamo

Is probably more correct.

Includes suffering, distress, affliction, anguish, agony and mallard duck :wink:

Then there is:

Kunou Ahiru

Please ask a question before I am forced to go on :stupido2:

Tsar Alexsandr
08-16-2010, 04:34
Okay. Here's a tough one. :D

This man was the founder of a school of swordsmanship. (Although one of his pupils is also credited with this.) He invented the shinai (spelling?) used in kendo. (Around the same time his contemporary Tsukahara Bokuden invented the bokken.) He served the Takeda in their battles against the Uesugi, and was even given a character from Shingen Takeda's name. He left his successful career in Shingen's service to wander the land as a master swordsman and instructor, however. He spent much time in Kyoto where his contemporary Tsukahara Bokuden taught the Ashikaga Shogun, and others. He himself was a highly skilled swordsman and passed on his school and wisdom to a talented swordsman of another clan. This other man's son latter served the Tokugawa shogunate.

Who was this famous sword master?

* hint. The school exists today, almost exclusively in Japan.

*hint. The Japanese character Shin can also be represented by Nobu.

Togakure
08-16-2010, 09:40
Kamiizumi Nobutsuna, who created the Shinkage Ryu school of swordsmanship.

Tsar Alexsandr
08-17-2010, 06:19
You are correct sir! Now I believe it is your question.

Togakure
08-17-2010, 06:28
Ok, here goes. I've tried to make it a bit hard to Google a quick answer, but there are some key clues that might make it easy for some:

I was the fifth leader of our clan to bear my name, and our Ryu served the Hojo. I personally served under Ujimasa and Ujinao. Our surname in Japanese means, literally, "wind demon," and our skills in horsemanship and guerrilla tactics reflected this. We were also known for our skills in/on water.

We were one of three primary ryu that specialized in our particular martial discipline during the Sengoku Jidai, our rivals being the Koga- and Iga-Ryu. It is legend that I defeated and killed one of Tokugawa Ieyasu's famous Iga-Ryu vassals, but in fact this is not true. The Tokugawa were our enemies, and it appears that our Ryu did not survive the Tokugawa shogunate.

Who was I, and what was my discipline?

Tomisama
08-17-2010, 12:30
Fūma Kotarō and Ninjutsu?

Kagemusha
08-17-2010, 12:30
I think you were: Kazama (Fūma) Kotarō and you were a shinobi/Ninja, but also served as troop commander.EDIT: Tomisama beat me to it.

Togakure
08-17-2010, 13:29
Yep, Fuma Kotaro/ninjutsu is correct--Hattori Hanzo's rival. Tomisama's turn.

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-17-2010, 16:31
And I knew that one too:furious3:

Tomisama
08-17-2010, 20:02
Wrong era...will be back with another question.

Tomisama
08-17-2010, 21:47
This is harder than I thought...

The son of a Date, adopted by Watari, served Date Terumune and Date Masamune, distinguishing himself in battle against the Soma Moritane and at the battle of Hitotoribashi.

Who am I?

AggonyDuck
08-17-2010, 22:44
Watari Motomune?

Tomisama
08-18-2010, 03:03
Watari Motomune?

Yes, very good!

Some times referanced as Date Motomune, there isn't too much out there about this one.

How did you find him?

Tsar Alexsandr
08-18-2010, 06:03
I didn't have a clue. Wow, that's interesting. :D

AggonyDuck
08-18-2010, 06:13
With my superb google skills I pretty much found the Samurai Archives entry that you used as reference. :)

AggonyDuck
08-18-2010, 06:31
Which Sengoku daimyo wore this distinctive helmet? Well not exactly this helmet as it is a replica, but something very similar to it although the actual helmet was said to be over a meter tall.

https://img827.imageshack.us/img827/2130/123uf.jpg

Togakure
08-18-2010, 09:32
Iirc, it was Kato Kiyomasa who was famous for his big hat, or naga-eboshi kabuto.

AggonyDuck
08-18-2010, 16:36
Close, but not quite as Kato Kiyomasa's helmet is of the same type, but it differs in style by quite a bit. For reference here is a replica of Kiyomasa's helmet and armour.

http://www.samurai-store.com/armor/img/scan/7-4.jpg

Togakure
08-18-2010, 19:44
Ah, kk. I don't own any of Turnbull's books so I have to rely on my aging memory and the 'net. I remembered Kiyomasa had a big hat, confirmed it with a quick search, and figured it was worth a guess. I noted the difference in style, but you'd written that it was a replica so I wasn't sure how exact the picture was.

Next guess.

EDIT:

Upon closer inspection a bit more time invested searching, I found it to be a replica of Maeda Toshiie's kabuto, and learned that the naga-eboshi is a type of Kawari kabuto.

http://www.samurai-archives.com/KabArt.html

http://www.taots.co.uk/content/view/20/28/

AggonyDuck
08-18-2010, 23:00
Yup, correct. :)

Togakure
08-18-2010, 23:32
K, here's a pretty easy one for those who read tales about this period:

Shortly after Sekigahara, a ronin dude was on his way to test himself against one of the famous swordmanship senseis of the time. On his way, he stopped at an inn, and observed another samurai dude from the Yoshioka school, who had sent a challenge to the same master. This chick arrived and gave the Yoshioka dude a peony flower and a note from her master the sensei, which apologized for not being able to meet with him because of poor health. The Yoshioka bloke lol'd, threw the flower down, derided the master as a senile old coward, and left with his retainer mates to go get pissed and celebrate his "victory."

The other dude watched this all go down, and after the Yoshioka dude and his fan boys left, he picked up the flower took a close gander at it. He noted that it had been cut perfectly--with a sword. Clued in to the subtle message of the master, he made the same cut on the flower, and sent it back to the school as his calling card.

Who was the shrewd dude?

Who was the pompous ass?

Who was the sensei?

Tsar Alexsandr
08-19-2010, 04:53
My guess is ...

1. Musashi Miyamoto

2. Seijuro Yoshioka

and

3. Muneyoshi Yagyu

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-19-2010, 04:55
I'm not famaliar with this story, but I'll try.

1. I'm fairly sure is Miyamoto Musashi

2. I have no Idea

3. Not to too confident but Yoshioka Seijuro?

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-19-2010, 04:56
Ugh, I was too late, anyways I think I'm a bit off.

Togakure
08-19-2010, 05:35
Two out of three ain't bad. The shrewd dude is indeed Musashi. The sensei is Muneyoshi/Munetoshi Yagyu or "Sekishusai."

The pompous ass is a Yoshioka--not Seijuro--but rather his brother, Denshichiro. Seijuro later tried to protect his brother from Musashi by dueling him beforehand, but Seijuro lost. So did Denshichiro.

Moving things along, the baton is passed to Tsar Alexandr.

Tsar Alexsandr
08-22-2010, 02:19
Ah okay. I couldn't find anything on either Yoshioka, but I knew Musashi dueled him first so I just guessed it might be him.

Alright. Here's one.

This warrior served the Amago(Amako) clan. His nickname was, "The Deer." He fought against the stronger Mori forces with his allies in the Amago clan. Though often outnumbered, they survived long enough to get aid from the Oda. With the Oda's aid they seized a castle, but this would seal their fate. For Nobunaga Oda would fall to Mitsuhide Akechi, a vassal who betrayed him. And Nobunaga's general Hideyoshi Hashiba left the war against the Mori to fight Mitsuhide Akechi at Yamazaki. Without the Oda's aid, this famous warrior and the Amago clan would succumb to the Mori. Who was this famous warrior?

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-22-2010, 04:51
Amago Katsuhisa?

Kagemusha
08-22-2010, 16:27
I bet the answer is Yamanaka "Shikanosuke" Yukimori

http://www.samurai-archives.com/shikanosuke.html

Tsar Alexsandr
08-23-2010, 03:42
Llwellyn, good guess. But Katsuhisa Amago was this guy's master and daimyo. The last Daimyo of the Amago clan.

Kagemusha was correct, the man in question was Katsuhisa's vassal Shikanosuke Yamanaka.

Your question Kagemusha. ^_^

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-23-2010, 04:03
Ugh I'm always so close but never the right answer :furious3:

Kagemusha
08-23-2010, 12:52
So lets see. Allright: "I was a puppet Kanrei controlling a puppet Shogun"

Prince Cobra
08-23-2010, 16:03
Hosokawa Ujitsuna?

http://www.samurai-archives.com/dictionary/h2.html

Kagemusha
08-24-2010, 02:16
Correct answer. Its your turn.:bow:

Prince Cobra
08-24-2010, 06:24
My father betrayed his master but my life was spared by request of my husband. I died almost two decades later and with my death I discredited the enemy who kept me as a hostage. Who am I?

Paradox
08-24-2010, 17:13
Sounds a lot like Hosokawa Gracia.

http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.php?title=Hosokawa_Gracia

Prince Cobra
08-25-2010, 06:33
Sounds a lot like Hosokawa Gracia.

http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.php?title=Hosokawa_Gracia

Correct! This good woman is the prototype of Mariko-san from the James Clavel's novel shogun. Your turn!

Paradox
08-25-2010, 13:27
I served a minor clan in Kansai in my earlier days but later managed to attain a high status as a chief lieutenant in the decisive battle of Sekigahara. I died on the battlefield, though my death is disputed among many.

Hint: Western army

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-25-2010, 20:01
Shima Sakon?

Paradox
08-25-2010, 22:50
Shima Sakon?
Yup. Shima Sakon, initially served the Tsutsui but became a Toyotomi vassal under Ishida Mitsunari. He led a thousand men in Sekigahara and was shot and killed. :bow:

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-25-2010, 23:05
:smiley:Yay! I finally got one right! Well this question shouldn't be terribly difficult. I was not known for being the most effective general, but my defection at Sekigahara (and even then I did so with hesitation) secured the victory for the future Shogun. I was condemned universally for being a turncoat, and 2 years after Sekigahara I went mad. Who am I?

AggonyDuck
08-26-2010, 01:15
Kobayakawa Hideaki.

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-26-2010, 02:38
Correct :yes:

Kagemusha
08-27-2010, 02:40
Allright i guess then it is AggonyDuck´s turn.:bow:

AggonyDuck
08-27-2010, 09:44
Toyotomi Hideyoshi built a castle on top of a fortress that had Oda Nobunaga taken a 10-year siege to seize. What was the name of the fortress and what was the name of the castle built?

Togakure
08-27-2010, 11:22
Osaka castle, on the site of the Ikko-ikki's Hongan-ji.

Paradox
08-27-2010, 11:25
Osaka or the Ishiyama-Honganji.

Edit: I was too late. :bow:

Togakure
08-27-2010, 12:07
Hopefully no one will object to me posting my question now; I need to sleep and the show must go on:

Oda Nobunaga built a most amazing castle on the shores of Lake Biwa in Omi province in the mid-1570's, which was destroyed in the early 1580's by troops loyal to his nemesis. It was close to Kyoto and strategically located to manage traffic to and from the capital. The donjon had seven stories and was so opulent that it was described as more akin to a royal palace than military fortification. It was distinct from other Japanese castles of its time because of its very thick walls made of stone, fit together without mortar. It's high central tower allowed for better use of firearms in defense, and its multiple inner fortifications allowed for a wide variety of defensive positions and tactics.

Here is an artist's rendering of this castle:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/47Ronin/NiceTry.jpg
Which castle is it?

Paradox
08-27-2010, 15:32
Azuchi castle.

Togakure
08-27-2010, 22:18
Indeed. Your turn, sir.

Paradox
08-28-2010, 00:35
She was the daughter of a veteran retainer of Akechi Mitsuhide, but started out under the Saito. Fuku, another name she is known by, was also married to a Koboyakawa retainer but divorced. She later became the wet nurse for a Tokugawa shogun. Who is she?

Tsar Alexsandr
08-28-2010, 03:20
The daughter of Toshimitsu Saito, Lady Kasuga.

Paradox
08-28-2010, 10:55
You are correct. Kasuga no Tsubone.

Tsar Alexsandr
08-28-2010, 18:19
Okay, here's mine.

What retainer of Mitsuhide Akechi famously crossed the lake Biwa at the battle of Yamazaki? He crossed Biwa to get from Otsu castle to Sakamoto castle.

He also led the attack on Honno-ji, and was himself, by marriage related to his master Mitsuhide Akechi. Who was this samurai?

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-29-2010, 21:43
I think Akechi Hidemitsu?

Tsar Alexsandr
08-30-2010, 01:50
That is correct sir! It is indeed Samanosuke Hidemitsu Akechi. :D

Your question now. ^_^

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-30-2010, 14:40
I'm finally getting these right... alright this is a bit harder. He was a relative through marriage to Oda Nobunaga as well as one of his chief retainers. He was present at a majority of the Oda's battles. Also known as a administrator of Kyoto, he was given the task of building the Azuchi castle previously referred to in the thread. After Oda Nobunaga's assassination he sided with Toyotomi Hideyoshi and conquered Shikoku. Who is this Samurai (I imagine the Azuchi castle part is a big clue)?

Paradox
08-30-2010, 19:04
Niwa Nagahide.

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-31-2010, 05:16
That is correct.

Paradox
09-02-2010, 22:30
Sorry I'm late. :bow:

Earlier in my career, I was a Ukita vassal. Under the Toyotomi, I was a chief commander of the Korean campaigns and was known for being a follower of Christianity, a belief in which my neighbor was not very fond of. I was executed after the battle of Sekigahara.

Tsar Alexsandr
09-03-2010, 02:57
Yukinaga Konishi.

Paradox
09-03-2010, 19:51
Konishi Yukinaga. Yes.

Tsar Alexsandr
09-04-2010, 03:41
Quite the interesting figure. It's unusual that he'd be executed with Mitsunari Ishida, the commander of the Western forces, but that was due to his refusal to Ieyasu to commit Seppuku.

My question is, who was the other guy who was killed with Mitsunari Ishida and Yukinaga Konishi? He was given the arguably questionable verdict of being a co-commander alongside Mitsunari Ishida. A staunch Buddhist and a man of non-Samurai origins, who was this monk who was executed in the aftermath of the battle of Sekigahara.

AggonyDuck
09-04-2010, 16:49
Ankokuji Ekei.

Kagemusha
09-04-2010, 19:05
Ankokuki Ekei is kind of interesting character.If i rmember right he was actually originally from Amako clan, the other mortal enemy/ally of Mori, besides Ouchi Clan. I think he was executed simply because someone associated from Mori had to go, while Ieasy had no intentions trying to execute for example Mori Terumoto, the daimyo of Mori and nominal commander of the Western army, as it would have meant another campaign against the Western Clans, so i think Ekei had to take the blade for the entire Mori Clan.

Tsar Alexsandr
09-05-2010, 02:57
I've also heard that some Samurai resented the fact a non Samurai like Ankokuji played a role in the battle, and the punishment was quite severe. Of course you could be right, that it was more about the Mouri than the Zen priest himself. Either way the Mouri were given a drastic cut in revenue, despite not participating in the battle. The Mouri grew to hate the Tokugawa, I heard one man actually had a vow to destroy the Tokugawa on his sandals, so he was constantly reminded of his clan's vows of vengeance. It would come in some form near the end of the Samurai's era, during the Boshin war between the Emperor and his Southern Samurai army against the Northern Tokugawa Bakufu.

Next question. :D

Kagemusha
09-05-2010, 03:03
In matter of fact,Mori or Mouri after they were deprived Of Aki, Iwami, and Izumo had each year a seremony where a clan leader would ask all the elders present would there be now a right time to or will to throw off the Shogunate.This is only a legend, but still in Boshin war that ended the Tokugawa Shogunate.The main effort came form Choshu(Mori) domain and Satsuma(Shimazu) domain

AggonyDuck
09-05-2010, 11:30
What was the name of the man who escaped the besieged castle of Nagashino to warn Tokugawa Ieyasu about the Takeda, and on his way back to inform the garrison of his success, was captured by the Takeda and crucified?

Togakure
09-05-2010, 12:58
What was the name of the man who escaped the besieged castle of Nagashino to warn Tokugawa Ieyasu about the Takeda, and on his way back to inform the garrison of his success, was captured by the Takeda and crucified?
Ah, that'd be Torii Sune'emon. He was cool.

I remember him because my mom told me his story when we passed through Aichi prefecture in '73, while visiting relatives. One of the train stations there is named after him.

AggonyDuck
09-05-2010, 21:29
Correct!

Togakure
09-06-2010, 00:34
Playing the shakuhachi for the pleasure of my men in the night during a siege was my downfall, when an enemy archer guessed my position and shot me dead.

Historians had some nerve to twist my story, to romanticize the death of some other Sengoku big-wig. Forget that guy--who am I?

Hint: not archived in the Archives, my name is buried in words describing said big-wig's demise. It seems that it cannot be found otherwise.

Togakure
09-08-2010, 12:53
Hmm, I did try to find one that couldn't be easily found with Google-Fu, but maybe this one is too obscure. Admittedly, I've only read it in one place:

Check The Samurai Archives > Famous Samurai > Takeda Shingen > "The Death of Shingen"

Shigemasa Oyamada
09-08-2010, 13:06
So Amako Masahisa then?

Togakure
09-08-2010, 13:24
Indeed. The ball is in your court, sir.

Shigemasa Oyamada
09-08-2010, 22:08
Well you sort of gave the answer away, but I suppose. This one may be a bit difficult. I was one of the Tokugawa's best generals, and I was a very vocal supporter of breaking from the Imagawa. At Nagashino I led a successful night attack on the Takeda camp. My relationship however became very strained with Tokugawa after a diplomatic meeting with the Oda in which there was allegations that Tokugawa's son Nobuyasu was plotting against the Oda. Since I was no friend of Nobuyasu so I didn't deny the charges, eventually causing Nobuyasu to commit suicide. Tokugawa never forgave me for not defending the honor of his son. Who am I?

AggonyDuck
09-08-2010, 22:35
Sakai Tadatsugu.

Shigemasa Oyamada
09-09-2010, 02:25
Correct you are.

AggonyDuck
09-09-2010, 12:23
Who was the English navigator, who after being shipwrecked in Japan at year 1600, became a key advisor on matters of trade and seafare for the Tokugawa Shogunate?

Kagemusha
09-09-2010, 12:34
William Adams.

AggonyDuck
09-09-2010, 15:17
Correctomundo!

Kagemusha
09-09-2010, 15:34
Allright.Lets see. Forget Tigers and Dragons.My nickname was "the devil" and after reaching adulthood i never slept on a futon.All i needed was a straw mat.Who am i?

Togakure
09-09-2010, 16:52
I know, I know! But I don't want to have to think of a question so I'm going to keep quiet :p .

(macaroni-racam)+ ("Good!" +i) + (Nobushige-ubon). Sake(ins: ta a<>k).

Shigemasa Oyamada
09-09-2010, 21:57
Satake Yoshishige

Tsar Alexsandr
09-10-2010, 01:51
I believe Llwellyn is right. But in the event it is not the right guy, I vote for Hattori Hanzo.

But knowing Satake's legendary inability to sleep in anything but his campaign bed, I bet it's Lord Satake.

Kagemusha
09-10-2010, 05:29
Correct answer Llewelyn!:bow:

Shigemasa Oyamada
09-10-2010, 12:59
I was known as one of the "Seven Spears of Shizugatake" for my bravery. Born in Owari, I was a skilled retainer for Toyotomi Hideyoshi. When Toyotomi died I decided to go to the Tokugawa, as Ishida Mitsunari and me were not the greatest of friends. At Sekigahara I was the vanguard of the Tokugawa army, and defeated a attack by Ii Naomasa. Again I was awarded for my bravery, but I was not to participate in in the Osaka campaigns, so I was left in Edo. Tokugawa Hidetada distrusted me even more than his father, so I was transferred to a small fief in Shinano. Who am I?

Tsar Alexsandr
09-13-2010, 04:16
Masanori Fukushima? The leader of the "Seven Spears of Shizugatake"? Just a guess. :D

Shigemasa Oyamada
09-13-2010, 18:42
You guessed correctly on that:2thumbsup:

Tsar Alexsandr
09-14-2010, 03:21
Alright. :D I'll ask a new one then.

Name the samurai whose life was spared by Hanbei Takenaka. If it had not been for Hanbei's intervention, this son of one of Hideyoshi's other great advisors would have been executed by Nobunaga Oda. This man grey up to serve both Toyotomi and Tokugawa. He fought for Tokugawa in Tokugawa's campaign after Hideyoshi's death. Fighting at Sekigahara, and many other battles for the Tokugawa.

His father however was in Kyushu and not fighting for Tokugawa. His father also was close allies with Kiyomasa Kato.

Who was this samurai?

Shigemasa Oyamada
09-14-2010, 13:03
I think Kuroda Nagamasa?

Tsar Alexsandr
09-15-2010, 01:58
You are correct sir, and he wore a giant crest on his helmet at Sekigahara... XD It's true lol.

Your question now.

Shigemasa Oyamada
09-16-2010, 01:26
I'm going to be a bit less specific in this one in hope of making it at least a little difficult... I was the 5th Daimyo of one of the Takeda's common enemies. I married one of Tokugawa's daughters, although she bore me no children. My defiance of the Toyotomi led to my downfall, but I was spared after two of my brothers committed seppuku. I lived in exile at Mt. Koya afterwards until I eventually died of smallpox. Who am I

Tsar Alexsandr
09-21-2010, 00:51
Hojo Ujimasa?

Seems it's just you and me lately Llwelyn.