PDA

View Full Version : GIVE THIS SUBFORUM A NEW NAME!

Andres
08-08-2010, 17:06
Hello boys and girls!

Maybe some of you have been wondering about the lack of creativity that went into naming this new subforum, dedicated to the upcoming new CA game: Shogun 2: Total War?

That's because the name is only temporary!

Indeed, boys and girls, we need YOUR creativity and input in finding an appropriate name for this new forum.

Therefore, we invite you to take part in the one and only "Find a new name for the Dojo II subforum" contest!

We'll start with a nomination period. All patrons are allowed to post their suggestions for a new name for this forum in this thread.

This thread will remain open for 15 days (until August 23th).

All suggestions that get seconded by at least 2 other members, will be put in a poll that'll be part of a second thread that will be posted after the nomination period is closed. To second a suggestion, simply quote the suggestion and post "seconded", in bolded letters.

There is only one, obvious, rule for the name suggestions (we don't want this subform getting the name "The Jumping Second Hand Millenium Falcon Salesman from Mars" now do we?) : the name has to be related to the theme of the game: the Sengoku Jida period.

But enough talk already! Let your creativity flow!

Free tip : Writer's block can be defeated with huge amounts of saké!

Go ahead and have fun!

Tera
08-08-2010, 17:10
I like Dojo II just fine. =)

Andres
08-08-2010, 17:17
I like Dojo II just fine. =)

Spoilsport :mean:

Kagemusha
08-08-2010, 17:21
I would like to suggest Honmaru, which is the word for inner keep in Japanese castle.

Gregoshi
08-08-2010, 17:54
I've always liked "Sword Dojo", but that name is already taken...unless we elevate the STW forum to "Legendary Sword Dojo" (as, indeed, STW is a legendary game) and Dojo II assumes the regular "Sword Dojo" name. So my nomination is a double renaming: "Sword Dojo -> Legendary Sword Dojo" and "Dojo II -> Sword Dojo" :bow:

Jochi Khan
08-08-2010, 23:13
My nomination for this subforum is Shogun 2 Dojo

caravel
08-09-2010, 14:40
I've always liked "Sword Dojo", but that name is already taken...unless we elevate the STW forum to "Legendary Sword Dojo" (as, indeed, STW is a legendary game) and Dojo II assumes the regular "Sword Dojo" name. So my nomination is a double renaming: "Sword Dojo -> Legendary Sword Dojo" and "Dojo II -> Sword Dojo" :bow:
seconded

Daveybaby
08-09-2010, 15:33
How about "Dojo III"?

Tomisama
08-09-2010, 16:42
How about "Dojo III"?

You go Dave :balloon2:

I would humbly suggest:

Sword Dojo2

It incorporates the old and the new :bow:

ReluctantSamurai
08-09-2010, 22:29
Tea House. The place where fellow Samurai come to share experiences and 'tall tales' while taking a break from the 'battlefield'.

antisocialmunky
08-09-2010, 23:59
CA's Last Chance Ever.

More seriously, maybe something like:

"The Bakufu"

Nelson
08-10-2010, 02:07
How about "New Dojo" in Japanese, whatever that might be. I tried to use an online translator to find "new" but it was too cumbersome and my Japanese grammar is nonexistent.

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-10-2010, 05:05
I'm going to offer "Senso-Kai", Japanese for War-Council.

Brandy Blue
08-10-2010, 05:25
You go Dave :balloon2:

I would humbly suggest:

Sword Dojo2

It incorporates the old and the new :bow:

Seconded.

Skullheadhq
08-10-2010, 11:12
Samurai Café?

caravel
08-10-2010, 13:04
Tea House. The place where fellow Samurai come to share experiences and 'tall tales' while taking a break from the 'battlefield'.
Seconded

Andres
08-10-2010, 13:09

Seconded.

Seconded.

And... Seconded (welcome, btw ~:wave:)

hoom
08-10-2010, 14:19

Seconded, I was thinking of something like that but don't know the Japanese word.

Tera
08-10-2010, 18:48
Just a quick note:

I think we should avoid Japanese words which the general, mainstream population would never understand. "Dojo" is pretty much the limit as far as Japanese goes.

*exits the scene before the forum police shout*

Swoosh So
08-10-2010, 21:29
id have to agree tera dont need anything complicated

Togakure
08-10-2010, 22:05
I like the creative ideas that use Japanese terms, but agree that an English name is functionally better.

I like many of the above which have already been seconded. I'll second Shogun 2 Dojo. From the standpoint of a search engine, it has the key "Shogun 2," with the added "Dojo," linking it to our classic STW forum.

Vlad The Impaler
08-10-2010, 22:10
I would say Legendary Sword Dojo since is a remake of the legendary game Shogun Total War:snobby:

Sword Dojo II is my second option

Cute Wolf
08-10-2010, 22:22
I like the creative ideas that use Japanese terms, but agree that an English name is functionally better.

I like many of the above which have already been seconded. I'll second Shogun 2 Dojo. From the standpoint of a search engine, it has the key "Shogun 2," with the added "Dojo," linking it to our classic STW forum.

SECONDED :wink:

drone
08-10-2010, 22:41
Should we wait until we know the names of actual S2TW buildings?

Tomisama
08-11-2010, 01:05
Gents (and Gentas) remember you are naming a “sub forum”.

The Forum already has the name Shogun 2: Total War, so there can be no mistaking the game referanced, or need to repeat the name Shogun.

There is also the standard divisions of Single Player, Multiplayer, and maybe even some form of S2TW Modification.

So under Shogun 2: Total War - Single Player – Sword Dojo

And Shogun 2: Total War – Multiplayer - Senso-Kai

I think both would be very appropriate.

Note: Having trouble varifying Senso-Kai, can anyone lend a link?

A Nerd
08-11-2010, 01:55
Tea House

Seconded.

Tomisama
08-11-2010, 02:32
Shogun 2: Total War - Single Player – Tea House

Thirded, or fourthed :inquisitive:

What has tea to do with ancient Japanese warfare? Everything!

Tsar Alexsandr
08-11-2010, 02:41
I rather like Dojo II... Oh well. Tea House is good as well.

Hmm. Maybe The Shogunate?

Kagemusha
08-11-2010, 02:45
How about "Shiro", which is castle in Japanese?For Shogunate a good term would be "Bakufu".

Tomisama
08-11-2010, 02:53
I rather like Dojo II... Oh well. Tea House is good as well.

It is a very friendly name for a singleplayer sub forum, it suits both politicos and militarios alike.

The more warriorish titles like the dojo names listed above, might be better kept for the multiplayer sub :yes::no:

Gregoshi
08-11-2010, 03:17
How about "Shiro", which is castle in Japanese?
If we have a Shiro forum, then we must have a Catiline forum too. :inquisitive:

Wonders who will
get this reference?
:thinking2:

Tiberius of the Drake
08-11-2010, 03:28
Seconded.

seconded (or thirded...?)

EDIT: GAH i was trying to second the name Tea House

Togakure
08-11-2010, 04:56
Shogun 2: Total War - Single Player – Tea House ...
What has tea to do with ancient Japanese warfare? Everything!
Indeed, more than many realize. In short: throughout the period, astute daimyo encouraged the development and reverence of the Tea Ceremony and the appreciation of objects used as fine art. Over time, tea objects produced by famous masters became hugely valued; daimyo could offer them to vassals with an appreciation of tea in exchange for allegiance in lieu of land, which was ever a scarce premium. Very clever, to create value out of something essentially valueless.

Tsar Alexsandr
08-11-2010, 06:46
It is a very friendly name for a singleplayer sub forum, it suits both politicos and militarios alike.

The more warriorish titles like the dojo names listed above, might be better kept for the multiplayer sub :yes::no:

I agree. It suits general conversation very well as well.

Tsar Alexsandr
08-11-2010, 06:52
Indeed, more than many realize. In short: throughout the period, astute daimyo encouraged the development and reverence of the Tea Ceremony and the appreciation of objects used as fine art. Over time, tea objects produced by famous masters became hugely valued; daimyo could offer them to vassals with an appreciation of tea in exchange for allegiance in lieu of land, which was ever a scarce premium. Very clever, to create value out of something essentially valueless.

Ah yeah. :D If I recall Nobunaga Oda, and Hideyoshi Toyotomi were quite passionate about tea and the tea ceremony. Mitsuhide Akechi was also famous for his appreciation of the tea ceremony. And Tadaoki Hosokawa was one of the "Seven Disciples of Rikyu." I think that was it... Anyhow, Tadaoki was in a very important circle in the tea-world.

Hisahide Matsunaga had refused to let his tea collection fall into the hands of Nobunaga. I wonder how much Nobunaga really cared about that though... lol. The tea ceremony is a very interesting aspect of Japanese Samurai culture and tradition though. It's interesting how much of an impact it had on the Samurai. :D

caravel
08-11-2010, 09:04
I would suggest (again) renaming the old Sword Dojo to the Tea House and calling this forum the Sword Dojo, that name seems more relevant.

:bow:

edyzmedieval
08-11-2010, 23:45
May I propose Bushido? Many people know about it and it is the way of the Samurai, the caste of those days. :bow:

Tomisama
08-12-2010, 01:00
Tea Ceremony Related to Samurai

Perhaps one of the most fascinating arts that has come to be linked with the
samurai is the cha no yu, or tea ceremony. Few activities in general are quite as
thoroughly refined and thoughtful and yet evolved through such troubled times.
Complicated and yet utterly simple, at once straightforward and deep, the tea
ceremony in many ways could be a metaphor not only for the samurai ideal but
also for the land of Japan itself.

Brief Introduction of Tea Ceremony

The tea ceremony normally took place in a tearoom, the chachitsu. The
guests entered through the nijiriguchi, with samurai leaving their swords outside
(another conscious equalizer developed by Rikyû) and the last to enter closing
the door behind him. The tearoom was arranged so that those entering would
first spy a scroll hanging in the tokonoma - or alcove. This scroll was normally of
calligraphy, with its subject often that of a simple observation such as Honrai
mu Ichibutsu ('Originally there is nothing').2 As this scroll is carefully chosen by
the host to reflect a mood or the season, the guests customarily spend a
moment appreciating it before seating themselves around a small hearth in the
center of the room.
At this point the host enters, and the principal guest thanks him or her for their
invitation and politely inquires about the scroll or some other object in the room
should one be present. However, and throughout the time spent in the tearoom,
conversations and articulations are brief, and it was considered impolite to
speak of things not related to the ceremony. The principle guest then serves a
light meal (kaiseki) that was intended to be pleasing to the eye as well as the
taste. At this time, a modest serving of sake is also offered in shallow bowls,
followed by a piece of fruit or some other light dessert. The guests then exit the
tearoom while the host prepares it for the drinking of tea, replacing the scroll
with a single flower in a vase. When the guests return, the host heats water in
an iron kettle, then rinses and wipes the tea bowl and utensils. He places
powdered green tea in a bowl with a bamboo dipper, then whips the tea with a
whisk (also bamboo) until the surface is slightly frothy, then serves it to his
guests.
Two kinds of tea will be served: koicha, which is the more formal of the two
and possessed of a thicker consistency and bitter taste, andusucha - thinner
and more 'informal'.Koicha is served first, and all the guests drink a small
quantity from the same bowl. Later in the ceremony,usucha is served in
individual bowls. The tea bowls themselves can vary in design according to the
host and the season. 'Winter' tea bowls are deeper, to help contain heat, while
'summer' bowls are shallower and broader to release the heat and give the
impression of coolness.
Throughout the ceremony, the hosts and guests both aspire towards a sense
of tranquility.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2977704/Tea-Ceremony-Related-to-Samurai

antisocialmunky
08-12-2010, 01:08
I would suggest (again) renaming the old Sword Dojo to the Tea House and calling this forum the Sword Dojo, that name seems more relevant.

Lets compromise and go with something that has a little bit of everyone's ideas:

The Legendary Tea Dojo.

A Nerd
08-12-2010, 02:38
I like the name tea house, I drink lots of tea, but I am no samurai. ;) The tea ceremony references were interesting and fun reads, seems to emulate the mood this forum has developed.

This would be nice, but the sword dojo has been the sword dojo since day 1 (as far as I know, at least since 2001 when I first visited). I would seem a shame to change it's name after all these years. Although, it might be nice to let it enjoy it's old age and mystique with a new name and enjoy a few sips to soothe itself in it's golden years!

hoom
08-13-2010, 10:13
I think we should avoid Japanese words which the general, mainstream population would never understand.I disagree.
A big part of the joy of the Total War series to me is to have intriguing bits of history pop up & make you want to find out more.
The Dojo used to be sprinkled with it and I think a slightly non-obvious Japanese name for the sub-forum is a good opportunity for people to get in the mood.

Tomisama
08-13-2010, 12:55
What is the name of the room in a Japanese castle where a Dimyo would hold court?

(You know like in the old game where you are sitting and reciving council, messages , and guests.)

Andres
08-13-2010, 15:41
Yashiki is the word for a daimyo's residence, I believe.

How about:

The Yashiki

or

The Shogun's Yashiki ?

Aelwyn
08-13-2010, 16:52
Hello boys and girls!

All patrons are allowed to post their suggestions for a new name for this forum in this thread.

Rupert.

Nelson
08-13-2010, 18:04
Izakaya is Japanese for tavern/bar/pub.

I think this lends itself to free wheeling discussion more so than teahouse.

Gregoshi
08-13-2010, 20:52
Remember, a nominated name has to be seconded to be considered. We've had a lot of recently suggested names but no seconding.

Beefy187
08-13-2010, 23:59
Tea house in Japanese would be 茶室 Chashitsu.
I personally like Dojo II, rather then going all fancy with the naming.

Only idea I can come up with is Teragoya which is like school in the old days.

Tomisama
08-14-2010, 03:32
The term bakufu originally meant the dwelling and household of a shogun, but in time it came to be generally used for the system of government of a feudal military dictatorship, exercised in the name of the shogun; and this is the meaning that has been adopted into English through the term "shogunate."

Shogunate

I think already posted. If so then seconded :bow:

Shogun 2: Total War / Single Player / Shogunate

hoom
08-14-2010, 05:04
I would second Bakufu then.
Pretty well perfect name for the dwelling of Shogun II at the .org

Also second Chashitsu if we're going to go the Tea House route.

Sp00n
08-20-2010, 16:56
I quite like Dojo II tbh, but in true Mr T style what about Tea House Jibbajabba.

:P

A Nerd
08-20-2010, 18:51
What if we call it 'Path of the Cherry Blossom'? Long winded, but has a nice ring to it! :O

Gregoshi
08-22-2010, 18:53
We are coming down to the end of the nomination period. If there are any names you like but haven't seconded, do so. Remember, only those that have been seconded by two others will remain in the running.

Andres
08-22-2010, 19:40
Suggestions that have been seconded so far:

Sword Dojo (rename S:TW subforum to "Legendary Sword Dojo")
Dojo II
Sword Dojo II
Senso-kai
Tea House
Shogun II Dojo
Bakufu

Not sure if Bakufu got seconded twice; if not, I'll second it.

Andres
08-23-2010, 16:27
Nomination period is closed; poll is up.