PDA

View Full Version : Can it be possible?

Tenchimuyo
11-18-2000, 21:30
I think the strategy camping part of this game is great but can it be possible for EA to do a little more work on that. First of all, with what I know of the Japan history, there were more than just the seven calns in Japan. Plus the clans in the game did not control those territories the way it was shown in the game. There were other clans that came before them and took control of the terretories. So I think maybe the EA team can add in more clans in the histiry during the Sengoku Jidai peiod in STW2. Because when you finish the game with all seven of the clans, there are nothing else new to play with in the strategy cmpaign mode.
My second suggestion is maybe EA can make the starting year in the game earlier in the Sengoku Jidai. Because the game starts at the middle of it, so I like to know what it will look like when you play the game starting from the ronin war. Or maybe better if they can put in a option of at what time period of Sengoku Jidai you would like to start the game with. Another suggestion is the koku system. I think if the whole game is just based on koku is not very fun. It make no difference with the way C&C is. I think the game should separate the koku system in two. Money and food (or ration), and you will need both food and money to raise troops. If any clan runs short on any of these two factors then they would have a hard time raising and maintain their army. This will definetly be a good way to balance the fairness between raising troops in a clan. So there would not be anymore Hojo hordes. On the other hand, clans should be able to trade with merchants or other clans for food or money. This would be fair for those with a high income but low food production, or a high food production but low income. So they can trade food for money or money for food. another suggestion I have is to cut the season in to months so each month is one turn and the option to choose your own heir. Because in the regular game, by the time I finish buding everything in a citadel, at least one of my Daimyo is already dead. and with all the assasinations, he might not even have a heir left to succed him. This way, the daimyos would live longer and you won't lose the game immediatly when daimyos die without a heir. Oh by the way, I knew some of you have already made a point in this but I just like to emphasize on that. I think allies should be able to aid each other in battle. There should be an option when one of your province is is attacked saying" would you want to receive reinforcements from your own province?" and under it would be another option saying" would you like to ask your ally for reinforcements?" I think this would be much better since it's only the AI that can bring in reinforcements when they knew they are getting attacked in the game. So these are my opinions to make this more fun in it's way.

The Black Ship
11-18-2000, 22:19
Tenchi,

There are some good points in all that, but it's so hard to find them http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

Next time make a list http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Alot of what you ask has been on our wish list for quite awhile, and hopefully some will be incorporated in patch 1.13 http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif just two more weeks LOL!

solypsist
11-19-2000, 05:43
Actually most of the major clans are represented beyond the seven choices given to us a players. What's necessary is to get to the ronin provinces; their daimyos/generals re historically accurate for the time. For example, the ronin that inhabit the little island between Mori and Shimazu are headed by a clan house (Chokosabe) but are left as ronin. Just because we can't play them doesn't mean they're ignored.
Posts like Tench's are a pretty good indication of poor observation or at least not very thourough research before complaining. A little bit of knowledge, such as reading somewhere of other clans, and then just a quick glance at the map of STW leads to faulty and hasty conclusions. Next time, I suggest a little more checking on specific problems before making such a generalized and , in this case, incorrect observations.

[This message has been edited by solypsist (edited 11-19-2000).]

Anjin Hiratomoe
11-19-2000, 06:36
sorry this really doesn't have anything to do with your previous postings but,

Is there any way to add computer players to the multiplayer games?

Zen Blade
11-19-2000, 10:09
Solypsist...

you just made yourself so easy to counter... I'm sorry, but I very much disagree with your statement and agree with Tenchimuyo's comment about historical accuracy.

The clan "in between Shimzu and Mori" is actually the Chosokabe clan. A clan that didn't have too much importance in the period until later (Nobunaga's time and beyond).

Also, many of the larger clans that existed in 1530 are not accurately portrayed. Most are grouped as Taishos under some other clan (often the clan they fought the most, other times just a near-by clan).
--The Asakura are perhaps the best example of this. There are other examples.

In 1530, (and I may be off on this) the Shimazu only occupied the southern portion of Kyushu.

The Takeda... somewhat complicated, but realistically (the shingen branch) held only Kai and a bit of Shinano.

The Hojo were a growing power and their domian isn't too bad. Although they were not really in control Hitachi or Shimotsuke (the historical domains were more to the west in Izu and Sagami and Musashi than what is seen in the game).

The Uesugi at this time were rather divided, confused, and I don't know enough to say exactly what they should have, but they didn't assert any control over Hida or Shinano... and the idea of them controling everything northeast of Echigo is far-fetched.

The Oda didn't occupy much outside of Owari until after 1560 and the death of Imagawa Yoshimoto.

The Imagawa in Kyushu is confusing, and I think those of us in the history forum decided it was b/c of an Imagawa appointment a few hundred years earlier... (might be off on date). However, the real Imagawa (the Yoshimoto-Ieyasu line, -which is also historically inaccurate-) was basically in Totomi, Mikawa, and Suruga.

The Mori didn't have nearly as much power as they start with and the Ouchi and Amako clans are only seen as being generals under the Mori. (also, the mori heirs are off as someone mentioned (I believe it was Seal))

anyways... I would have liked to have seen more clans myself as only seven clans just doesn't pass mustard for 1530. (maybe for 1580 or anytime after the beginning of the Oda consolidation)
-For the time period of 1530, I think the Miyoshi would have been a good clan as under Chokei they were a very important clan in Kyoto politics.
The Ouchi and Amako were also major clans (but fell at the hands of their own incompetence and the amazing Mori Motonari).

-well, that was longer that I expected and I hope it doesn't come across as being hostile, as it isn't supposed to be hostile, but rather helpful.

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil

solypsist
11-19-2000, 12:17
No I understand what you're saying; my reply wasn't an attempt to make myself the last word on the STW historical accuracy, and I knew someone out here would start hitting me on the head with a history book http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif
I just think one has to flexible when approaching a game that has a historical background. Province distribution is one of those things; complaining about a necessary modification to help speed up the game (imagine how slow things would be if Oda started off in just his single province of Owari- it'd take years just to afford a single unit) is as meaningful and inconsequential as complaining that there were more armies/countries in WW2 besides US,Japan,Russia,England etc -"They could have made the game more interesting if they had allowed an option for me to play the Ethiopian army" is the kind of complaint one usually does not see....
but my point remains that there was a good attempt to follow history, despite the fact that Chosokabe Motochika doesn't actually appear in any relevance until the 1580s, noentheless it's still there, with starting honor bonuses of 5 (if memory serves) rather than just some random ronin.

Tenchimuyo
11-19-2000, 21:45
Well I should've made a more clear point in my post which a player might be able to choose what time period of the game they would like to play. So if you like long games you choose the earlier periods with a lot clans, if you like shorter games you choose the later periods where Japan would already be left with just a "few" clans to struggle.

solypsist
11-20-2000, 01:44
That last idea sounds like a pretty good option, Tenchimuyo. It would radically alter play of the game, since certain technologies and structures may or may not be available, depending on the period.

[This message has been edited by solypsist (edited 11-20-2000).]