PDA

View Full Version : The .Org's Wallpaper Competition - sponsored by CA.

Andres
08-13-2010, 10:51
https://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t2/AndresTheCunning/Org/ConceptArtCompetition3.jpg
(a big thank you to CA's Photoshop artist Mark for creating this stunning image for us )

Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to welcome you all to the .Org's Shogun 2: Total War Desktop Background competition!

What's this about?

The aim of the competition is simple: create a desktop background for Shogun II: Total War!

Why would I do that ?

Aha, for our fantastic prize of course!

The good people of the Creative Assembly have promised a signed copy of Napoleon : Total War - Imperial Edition

Talk about a collector's item, eh ~:pimp:

I want the prize! How much time do I have to make the most brilliant wallpaper ever and to destroy the competition?

You'll get four weeks from now on to work on your submission. Everybody is allowed to participate!

The submission thread is right HERE (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?130059-The-.Org-s-Wallpaper-Competition-sponsored-by-CA-Submission-thread&p=2053196994#post2053196994).

But, but, but, the submission thread is still closed.

No, it's not. It's open!

I'm the greatest! I don't need no competition! Hand me over that prize already!

No, you're just being lazy. Create a stunning wallpaper, now :whip:

Aha, I have this stunning picture made by Andres and this drawing made from Kage...

Please be careful not to use copyrighted material.

S2:TW screenshots, images, trailers etc already published by CA are ok. Ancient drawings or non copyrighted material are too.

Who do I have to bribe?

Once the submission period is over, we'll create a poll that will run for about a week.

After the poll is closed, the infallible and unbribable jury consisting of three CA members, namely :

- Lead Artist for Total War, Kevin McDowell,

- PR and Online Manager Mark O’Connell and

- the famous, one and only Craig Laycock (marketing) who was so kind to help us with the organisation of this event. Thank you very much, good sir!

will pick the winner out of the five submissions that came out first in the poll.

You can vote for your favourite submission here: Voting thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?130663-The-.Org-Wallpaper-Competition-THE-VOTE)

As soon as these wise men have taken their decision, the winner will be announced and be put in contact with CA.

All that's left for me now, is to wish you all the best of luck :2thumbsup:

:bow:

Andres
08-13-2010, 12:40
If you're looking for inspiration and ideas, then it might be wortwhile to take a look at the stickied "Screenshots, Concept Art and Trailers thread" Linky (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?129877-Screenshots-Concept-Art-and-Trailers-thread-(Image-intensive)).

You can also find lots of old Japanese drawings on the web for inspiration, like these:

https://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t2/AndresTheCunning/Swords%20in%20the%20Moon/800px-Battle_of_Kawanakajima.jpg

https://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t2/AndresTheCunning/Swords%20in%20the%20Moon/Uesugi_kenshin.jpg

Let that creativity flow!

Kagemusha
08-13-2010, 13:30
Stickied.Allright people.pick up those photoshops and gimps and start drawing.:bow:

Maяcel
08-13-2010, 20:25
does it have to be in any specific size? is is any wallpaper size oke?

Kagemusha
08-13-2010, 20:44
does it have to be in any specific size? is is any wallpaper size oke?

The size shouldnt matter.Also wellcome to the Org, Maяcel.:bow:

Maяcel
08-13-2010, 22:46
The size shouldnt matter.Also wellcome to the Org, Maяcel.:bow:

Ok thanks, i did actually already have an account, cant remember what it was tho, haven't used it in a while, a shame really.

Kagemusha
08-13-2010, 23:39
Ok thanks, i did actually already have an account, cant remember what it was tho, haven't used it in a while, a shame really.

Ok.Good luck to the competitionHopefully you will create something fantastic for the judges to see.~:)

stratigos vasilios
08-14-2010, 13:12
I'm the greatest! I don't need no competition! Hand me over that prize already!

No, you're just being lazy. Create a stunning wallpaper, now

LOL. That's actually pretty damn funny.

Togakure
08-14-2010, 21:00
Dimeolas, where are you?? I for one am ready for more of your superbness (heh, I made up a word to describe your work).

Andres
08-16-2010, 08:11
Kick-off!

The contest is open.

Good luck to all participants :bow:

cedric37
08-16-2010, 13:24
Ok maybe a silly question, but do we need to display shogun2 logo or CA logo or can it be made "text free" ?

Andres
08-16-2010, 13:45
Hey cedric37. First of all: welcome to the .Org ~:wave:

Here's a link to a similar contest, for M2:TW from a while ago, so you can have an idea of what is expected: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?67242-MIITW-Desktop-Background-competition-(now-closed)&highlight=desktop

Allthough it can be "text free", I think it would please our CA judges if you would add in the shogun II logo somewhere. It can be discrete, somewhere in a corner or so.

Good luck :bow:

cedric37
08-16-2010, 13:52
Hey cedric37. First of all: welcome to the .Org ~:wave:

Here's a link to a similar contest, for M2:TW from a while ago, so you can have an idea of what is expected: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?67242-MIITW-Desktop-Background-competition-(now-closed)&highlight=desktop

Allthough it can be "text free", I think it would please our CA judges if you would add in the shogun II logo somewhere. It can be discrete, somewhere in a corner or so.

Good luck :bow:

Thanks for the welcome, the info and the link :D
I'll add the SHOGUN:2 logo, definitely.

Thanks again.

cedric37
08-16-2010, 14:04
One more question: is .png a valid extension or shall we use only jpg, gif and bmp ?

Andres
08-16-2010, 14:34
.png should be fine. Idem for jpg, gif and bmp.

cedric37
08-16-2010, 15:28
.png should be fine. Idem for jpg, gif and bmp.

Ok thanks, i have submitted it before i go on vacation and i forget to do it :P

Tamur
08-16-2010, 20:00
How exciting! I've been away from the Org for ages and just today heard about STW2, and thought I'd come back for the memories. And now I find a contest!

Are we entirely free to, say, paint something from scratch? Obviously the title dictates that we put the official logo on it... any other rules?

Cheers, and hello to all,
Tamur

Andres
08-16-2010, 21:25
How exciting! I've been away from the Org for ages and just today heard about STW2, and thought I'd come back for the memories. And now I find a contest!

Are we entirely free to, say, paint something from scratch? Obviously the title dictates that we put the official logo on it... any other rules?

Cheers, and hello to all,
Tamur

Welcome back, Tamur ~:wave:

Not too many rules. It just needs to be related to the setting of the game and it has to be a wallpaper.

I'd also like to clarify to all participants, that you're allowed to send in as many submissions as you want; if you happen to have 3 good looking wallpapers, by all means, put all 3 of them in the submission thread.

EDIT: btw, great stuff cedric37 and Joey Deacon :bow:

Monk
08-16-2010, 22:36
Incredibly impressed with the quality of the submissions thus far, keep up the amazing work.

decimator22
08-16-2010, 23:33
I would gladly join and destroy my opponents for the prize :skull:, luckily for them I am a terrible artist; jeje :sweatdrop:. The submissions though are just... awe-inspiring! I might choose one to be my wallpaper this very moment. Good luck to all who do decide to participate.

I also find this to be a very good move by CA to its fanbase :yes:

A Nerd
08-16-2010, 23:41
The submissions though are just... awe-inspiring!

They are impressive, aren't they! Way better than what I could submit with my crayon and a piece of paper!

ReluctantSamurai
08-16-2010, 23:55
I believe, without foresight of entries to come, that cedric37 has a contendah............it'd get my vote, thusfar.....

Beskar
08-17-2010, 03:02
Being honest, I have absolutely zero interest in a signed copy of Napoleon TW.

The prize is somewhat of a joke. I mean, even a signed copy of Shogun 2 :TW Collectors edition when it comes out would provoke real interest, opposed to a somewhat "okay" game that the vast majority of people reading this would already own.

Probably not the response people might have wanted, but it is an honest one.

pevergreen
08-17-2010, 03:34

The prize is somewhat of a joke. I mean, even a signed copy of Shogun 2 :TW Collectors edition when it comes out would provoke real interest, opposed to a somewhat "okay" game that the vast majority of people reading this would already own.

I'm surprised CA have actually gone ahead with any sort of community interaction though.

:shrug:

Gregoshi
08-17-2010, 05:14

I guess we won't be seeing any submissions from you then, eh Beskar? However, the submissions so far (considering the prize is a "joke") are fantastic. Maybe the prize isn't the lure...or is it? :inquisitive:

CraigTW
08-17-2010, 08:14

Hi Beskar,

We would offer a Shogun 2 prize, but the game's not out yet!

Craig,
CA.

Andres
08-17-2010, 08:50

In all honesty, I think for most people who have some talent, taking part in such contests is fun. I wish I had the skills to create wallpapers or concept art; it must be fun to be able to make fantastic stuff.

And fun is what this contest is all about. Of course, creative people make things for the sake of being creative, but it's always nice to have an audience and to see what that audience thinks of your work; I think all artists, be it writers, painters, or photoshop artists, like to get recognition and appreciation for their work. The chance to win a free game in the proces, is a nice bonus. The attention by CA in itself probably is an extra incentive too. It's a nice gesture towards the community and the fans, imo.

Your honesty is appreciated :bow:

But this thread is to ask questions about the contest and to comment on the submissions, so please, let's not derail it into a discussion about whether you liked or didn't like N:TW :bow:

Feel free to open a thread about that in the Napoleon Total War subforum.

Hi Beskar,

Craig,
CA.

Welcome, Craig ~:wave:

I see you finally found your way in.

Andres
08-17-2010, 09:30
Please be careful not to use copyrighted material.

Screenshots, images, trailers already published by CA are ok. Ancient drawings or non copyrighted material are too.

:bow:

CraigTW
08-17-2010, 09:51
Welcome, Craig ~:wave:

I see you finally found your way in.

Thanks! Glad to be here!

cedric37
08-17-2010, 20:51
Ok resubmitted my entry with a completly new armor and a real samurai one ;)

antisocialmunky
08-18-2010, 02:35
Hi Beskar,

Craig,
CA.

If we do win, can we request Shogun 2 when its out? :-p

Beskar
08-18-2010, 17:04
Hi Beskar,

Craig,
CA.

Hah!

I didn't mean to upset the competition, I just didn't like the prize myself personally, but as Andres said, there are probably some really talented people who simply want to show off their art work!

Though as a suggestion, perhaps the winner gets their concept art printed out and signed? I think whoever did win, would like something like, as they can put in it a picture frame and stick it on their wall, as a momento.

Kagemusha
08-20-2010, 03:18
Made some thread cleaning by getting rid of the deleted posts. Cant wait to see more great entries for the competition!:bow:

CraigTW
08-20-2010, 16:07
Great entries so far, folks! Keep 'em coming! :)

Swoosh So
08-21-2010, 16:17
Great stuff guys

Maяcel
08-21-2010, 19:26
Like ten hours of work, an utterly destroyed pen nib, and even more work, but im now like 20% done:dizzy2:

https://img683.imageshack.us/img683/641/dfdsdf.png
^im actually done with him now:sweatdrop:

cedric37
08-22-2010, 13:08
Hehe you don't want to know how many days i worked on mine ;)

Andres
09-01-2010, 12:51
Just bumping this to remind all participants who are still busy working on their submission that the deadline is September 12th. Don't be too late!

Andres
09-10-2010, 23:18
Not so much time left anymore, so if you're still working on something for this contest, you'd better hurry up!

Great entries so far. I think it's safe to say that all submissions so far deserve a big fat "Congratulations on a job well done" :2thumbsup:

Gregoshi
09-13-2010, 03:34
The submission period has ended. Head over to this thread and vote for your favourite: Voting thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?130663-The-.Org-Wallpaper-Competition-THE-VOTE)