PDA

View Full Version : Possible STW2 expansion?

Kagemusha
08-19-2010, 03:19
What would you like to see as expansion for the up and coming title STW2? I think there are several quite interesting possibilities.

One way would be to take the safe route and do like with the original title, by releasing a Mongol invasions expansion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_invasions_of_Japan

My personal favourite would be to have a Imjin war campaign.Which would be about the Japanese invasions against Korea under Taiko, Toyotomi Hideyoshi. This would allow to have both Korean and Ming troops apart the Japanese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imjin_War

Another possibility would be to have a campaign for a earlier times. Like during Gempei war, when Taira and Minamoto clans fought each other for power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gempei_War

Another turning point could be Kenmu restoration, which lead in to Genkō war and the defeat of Kamakura Shogunate and rise of Ashikaga Shogunate.The last link is for the whole to Nanboku-chō period in order to get a better understanding about the era as whole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemmu_restoration

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genk%C5%8D_War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanboku-ch%C5%8D_period

Last one option could be right before or right after Onin War. Which started the rapid downward spiral of Ashikaga Shogunate and eventually lead to the rise of the three unifiers: Oda Nobunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi and finally Tokugawa Ieyasu, who in the end created the last Shogunate, Tokugawa Shogunate. Interesting for this would be that so very many of the Clans we know from Sengoku Jidai period were only minor vassals of the Shugo clans of Ashikaga Shogunate or even non existent, so the political map would be very different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onin_war

So what do you think which of these or something other would be best for the eventual expansion of STW2?

A Nerd
08-19-2010, 04:34
I voted for the Imjin war. I like the idea of the Chinese and Koreans being available for campaign, as well as the Japanese. I read the wiki article and am not much into research, considering this, my only concern would be that covering this period in history would lack a diversity of factions. Only three sounds somewhat boring. I would hope for more playable (and unplayable) factions to be present in an expansion pack. Though I didn't search deeply into the war to confirm the actual number of available factions.

The others are less interesting. A Japanese solo campaign, despite it being different from STW2, isn't very appealing. Sound just like it would be the same thing, just a different time.

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-19-2010, 05:34
Well, what I would like to see is something similiar to MTW1's different starting times. Perhaps having one at 1553 around the first battle of Kawanakajima, 1560 around the battle of Okehazama, 1582 after the Honnoji-Incident, and 1600 around the battle of Sekigahara. Other scenarios outside of Japan, like the Imjin war (which I think is a good candidate), would be the expansion. Those are my thoughts at least

Gregoshi
08-19-2010, 06:52
Imjin seems to offer the most potential. Perhaps a two phase campaign - unify Korea (at least politically) and get the Chinese onboard, then the Japanese invasion proper. Looking over these other choices just reinforces how perfect the Sengoku Jidai is for a Total War game.

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
08-19-2010, 16:07
Onin war sounds fun.

drone
08-19-2010, 16:46
Imjin campaign, the addition of Chinese and Korean flavor would be a good match. Plus it might get CA closer to a Chinese TW game.

Sp00n
08-19-2010, 17:18
TBH I've always loved the Mongols, Id prefer a larger Mongol campaign or even a Mongol TW. They havent covered the largest land empire the world has ever seen yet.
Always found their history far more interesting from a war perspective than Korea or China.

Monk
08-19-2010, 18:05
Already thinking about the expansion are we? :laugh4:

Imjin seems to offer the most potential. Perhaps a two phase campaign - unify Korea (at least politically) and get the Chinese onboard, then the Japanese invasion proper. Looking over these other choices just reinforces how perfect the Sengoku Jidai is for a Total War game.

You know reading that gave me a kinda wacky idea. Since an Imjin expansion would take place after the main game's time period, I wonder if it would be possible for CA to include some kinda save game reader. One that checked which clan you won most with and have that clan be the unifying force for the Japanese Invaders and their family members as heroes and generals. So if you spent the majority of your time playing Hojo, the Hojo would be leading the efforts.

It's a small thing but I think it'd be neat.

A Nerd
08-19-2010, 18:22
You know reading that gave me a kinda wacky idea. Since an Imjin expansion would take place after the main game's time period, I wonder if it would be possible for CA to include some kinda save game reader. One that checked which clan you won most with and have that clan be the unifying force for the Japanese Invaders and their family members as heroes and generals. So if you spent the majority of your time playing Hojo, the Hojo would be leading the efforts.

I love this idea! :D Talk about truly molding the fate of Japan (if you opt to play as them). Even allowing your ending infastructure and current armies that were developed during the SJ campaign to continue to be used during the expansion campaign. Though now that I think about it, if you don't start from scratch, the expansion campaign might be a little too easy. Keep your heros anyway, if you like that sort of thing.

Gregoshi
08-19-2010, 18:30
Monk, that would be an awesome feature! :2thumbsup:

Sp00n, while I agree the Mongols are great, are they a perhaps too good to make a decent game? I mean, without nerfing them so much that historical gamers blow a gasket. Or buffing their opponents so much that historical gamers blow a gasket. Or that historical modder gamers blow a gasket because they can't create a Mongol Barbarorum mod to fix the game. ~;)

Gregoshi
08-19-2010, 18:36
Though now that I think about it, if you don't start from scratch, the expansion campaign might be a little too easy. Keep your heros anyway, if you like that sort of thing.
Keep in mind, that the Japanese would still have to get their new armies to Korea. And from Kage's links, it seems that Korea's navy was much better than Japan's and a big part of why the invasion failed (logistical problems). Which, come to think of it, with the addition of navies, would be perfect for a Korea expansion or a remake of Mongol Invasions.

A Nerd
08-19-2010, 18:49
Keep in mind, that the Japanese would still have to get their new armies to Korea. And from Kage's links, it seems that Korea's navy was much better than Japan's and a big part of why the invasion failed (logistical problems). Which, come to think of it, with the addition of navies, would be perfect for a Korea expansion or a remake of Mongol Invasions.

I agree. I suppose that Korea and China would also start somewhat developed. Perhaps if the top tier of the Japanese navy was reached during the SJ campaign, this would still be outclassed by what the Koreans could use on a lower tier. This might make for some fun as you move your armies across the sea toward Korea, taking into account what CA mentioned about using coastlines, sand bars, rocky outcroppings, etc. to win naval battles. If you lose your navy and armies in a naval battle (developed in SJ campaign) I guess you would then have to start from scratch to rebuild what you have lost to launch another invasion of Korea. I wonder if the Koreans and Chinese would attempt an invasion of Japan?

Mongols are always fun, I just never got into the MI campaing in STW. It needed more detail and diversity that was lacking in the only two factions that were playable. Include Korea, China, Japan and whomever else was in the way of the Mogols lust for power, then I might be interested!

Monk
08-19-2010, 19:23
I love this idea! :D Talk about truly molding the fate of Japan (if you opt to play as them). Even allowing your ending infastructure and current armies that were developed during the SJ campaign to continue to be used during the expansion campaign. Though now that I think about it, if you don't start from scratch, the expansion campaign might be a little too easy. Keep your heros anyway, if you like that sort of thing.

Monk, that would be an awesome feature! :2thumbsup:

If CA's reading this it's a free tip. Take it, it's yours! :laugh4:

antisocialmunky
08-19-2010, 23:32
It would be nice if it was a bunch of mini-campaigns like Kingdoms. The Invasions of Korea/Gempai Wars/Mongolian Invasion would all be quite fun. THUNDAR BOMBARS FTW!

Shigemasa Oyamada
08-19-2010, 23:54
I like all of whats being said about a Imjin war expansion, and the way I see the Japanese would start off with Western Kyushu as it's starting territories (along maybe with a small part of Korea to get started). Korea would be....well Korea and the same for China. Although for more factions I think some like the Manchu, which start as a protectorate of China but eventually break off, should be included. Also maybe the European Jesuits and other immigrants could be a political entity, pursuing their own interests?

General Malaise
08-20-2010, 02:36
I voted Onin and Imjin, mostly because they are, more or less, right before and right after the time period the game takes place in, so it would feel continuous.

Kagemusha
08-20-2010, 03:24
Already thinking about the expansion are we? :laugh4:

Well man has to look beyond the horizon in order not to fall behind.:painting: Other then that. I must join others in saying that your idea about the expansion is something CA should definetily consider.:bow:

caravel
08-20-2010, 08:58
I'm not convinced there will actually be any expansion.

Kagemusha
08-20-2010, 14:00
I'm not convinced there will actually be any expansion.

Can i ask what makes you think that Asai? I think that would be the first time in the series.

caravel
08-20-2010, 14:12
Well NTW wasn't actually an expansion as it didn't require the previous game (ETW). If there is an "expansion", I would bet on it being released as a "stand-alone" game, as with NTW (also NTW had no expansion). I'm not sure that the idea of the traditional expansion fits in with the new DLC direction that CA are taking.

:bow:

Andres
08-20-2010, 14:16
Meh, talking about the expansion is soooo August 19th 2010.

I'm really hoping for a Wheel of Time Total War game after Rome II: Total War.

Imjin War would be great. Add me to the list of fans of Monks' suggestion.