PDA

View Full Version : Drop in Battles

Swoosh So
08-24-2010, 12:29
Drop in battles are great, i really like this addition to the single player campaign. The problem is the way theyre joined/advertised in my opinion.

An idea to make them more popular would be to have the dropin battles show in the main game lobby as games players can join and just give an option in the lobby to show/hide dropin battles instead of sitting in some queue. Also id like the option to play uneven battles with friends via invite from the campaign battle screen.

Shibumi
08-25-2010, 15:23
Sounds like a fair idea Swoosh So...

As a sidenote, drop in battles is a genius idea :)

easytarget
10-24-2011, 00:28
Resurrecting this one just to add the comment that I just bothered to look at this today and had a BLAST. I fired up the avatar menu and set battles to drop in land or siege (I've no interest in the sea battles) and popped into players SP games all afternoon. And sure, a lot of times you are only invited in for a massacre, but even in those I fight to do as much as I can with what I'm given and still find it entertaining. And occasionally you drop into battles that are even, and that can be some real fun, even won a few!

Anyway, no doubt old news to most of you, but for those that haven't bothered to play one, might want to check it out, it's a good bit of fun with no consequences for you really, I mean it's not like you picked the battle, the army, or the setting, you just jumped in for the AI and gave it a go. Least that's what I did and had a good time doing it too.

easytarget
10-24-2011, 02:27
Quick question, and probably an obvious one, but here it goes, when you drop into a battle (a seige is easy enough to sort on this, I know who the attacker and defender is), but in a land battle where I just pop in, it's not clear to me who has the onus of attacking vs defending, since I just drop in I don't know what led up to this little engagement, and therefore don't know if it's proper of me to get into a decent defensive position on wooded hills for example or if I should move on out and attack.

I've run into the typical gamey behavior of the SP opponent just sitting up on a hill with a thousand archers waiting for me to send my ashi to their deaths on the open field in front of them. The problem I have in sending them to their deaths is this, I tend to play this game as a sort of strategy RPG, and by that I mean I wouldn't as a commander stupidly send all my men to their deaths under such circumstances. Now if I'm the one with the burden to attack, then I'll play my role and find the best way to attack the position I can. But if I'm the defender in this engagement, I don't see why I would do anything other than find my own best defensive position and sit there and stare at him.

So, how do you tell?

jepp21
10-24-2011, 21:30
Great question, and exactly why i dont play drop in battles. Yet alone there never seems to be any opponents in dropins

easytarget
10-25-2011, 03:22
Agree it does present some challenges, but I still had fun playing them, and didn't have much trouble finding battles to drop in on (course this was the weekend, so that's probably the high point of the volume of players, it would no doubt be harder to find them to drop into during the week). If anyone else stumbling across this thread has any idea about how you can tell when you drop in whether you are the attacker or attacked in battles, please chime in.

GoldenToad
10-27-2011, 11:55
I've never been able to find a drop in battle to play, I've left the matchamker going for some time but not had any luck.

Is it possible to invite friends into drop in battles?

RTKAbu
10-28-2011, 12:06
Goldentoad, you should not search for them apart, but when you play multiplayer MM games, just press both 1vs1 battles and drop ins, once in a while you get a dropin instead of a standard MM game.

Nigel
10-29-2011, 16:02
Is it possible to invite friends into drop in battles?

Well, I would imagine that, if there are rarely any "random" players looking to join drop in battles and you want to play it with a friend, that if you host a drop in battle from your campaign and your friend searches for one at the same time, there will be a very high chance that the two of you will be paired up.