PDA

View Full Version : Collected wishlist from several forums

Magyar Khan
09-03-2010, 04:59
This thread will collect all possible ideas from the internet to ensure that Shogun 2 will be the best in the Total War Series.
Eventually we will make a poll of this and create a top 10...
I will modify this page and add more items in which i personally see some future in.... so get them comming. Please debate......

I added some priority myself based on what i feel in here....
GREEN = is currently considered high priority
BLACK = debatable
BLUE = pretty to have but not at much costs of resources

COMMUNITY and HOSTING BATTLE
~:lightbulb: A foyer like we had in STW/MI MTW with options to make own chatfoyers
~:lightbulb: Player Stats - All players have stats wins,losses,dcs, and tournament wins etc.. that we can view by clicking on their name in the lobby or game room.
~:lightbulb: Current NTW ingame chat-utility when writing must be clicked everytime, also the box transparancy should be able to set opaque
~:lightbulb: make it possible to swap battlesides in MP once all the slots are taken, in NTW you either have to kick someone get them to rejoin or put a cpu player in there to hold the slot
~:lightbulb: make it possible to look at the hosted map
~:lightbulb: set different koku values for attacker and defender
~:lightbulb: a more detailed description of each game in the lobby: Who has joined already, what options have been selected, what size units are being used, what the money level is, the map name, the weather, and any other settings you can have for the game. Currently, you have to join a game to find out most of these. This causes many to join, then leave due to some setting they don't like.

GAMEPLAY
~:lightbulb: Add a more realistic fog of war (where u really can hide units) if your units cant see the enemy than hoovering with the zoom/cam should not let them see either
~:lightbulb: Group Movement - remember in STW you could use Alt with your army grouped and change the facing plus be able to moving in that direction at the sametime. In NTW it seems you have to start at the end and drag across to advance in a different direction which is a worse way to do it. It would be nice to have that back in STW2 if it isn't there already.
~:lightbulb: Make it able to group a single unit
~:lightbulb: Better net code, so we can once again play 4v4's. 4v4's are currently impossible for some reason and 3v3's are so laggy as to be impossible to play. The game needs to be optimized for 4v4. That is what the old MP communities thrived upon.
~:lightbulb: Make ingame movies of messages optional, for mp games they are close to useless

MODIFICATIONS
~:lightbulb: A army-banner editor to make your own banners, only visible for yourself unless shared with others
~:lightbulb: A uniform editor to make your own uniforms, only visible for yourself unless shared with others

GAMETYPES, REPLAYS and OBSERVERS
~:lightbulb: Show player name in replays (not available in ntw now)
~:lightbulb: Show unit names and player name in replays when hoovering over minimap (not available in ntw now)
~:lightbulb: It would be great to have a time coded function added to the replays, and the ability to fastforward and reverse
~:lightbulb: Kill worth / Loss worth - Along with showing kills and losses you should also have this to display the actual worth of units lost and killed.
~:lightbulb: Gametype where you play the same map as defender and attacker and the Kill worth / Loss worth is used to decide who is the winner.... with same battles with the same army.

MAPS
~:lightbulb: Much more MP-suitable maps or a Mapeditor, an alternative could be that we can output every map from the strategic map in a way. Or if such is not possible make sure we have many many challenging maps....
An alternative... It would be nice if u could in a MP-online game select a map from the campaign map.... just move your mousepointer over the campaignmap and select the area u want and that particular map is loaded....another solution could be that u could select them offline and add favorites to your map selection and when u get online and host a battle u could pick one from your favorites.....Every map from the campaignmap is centred on a specific (X,Y) location so it should be available to anyone....
~:lightbulb: Deployment zone change to something similar to the original Shogun or MTW1: The current deployment zones are directly across from each other and do not touch each other. Most 3v3 games end up being mostly 3 1v1 battles, then the winners fight for the win. With the old deployment zones (3 in the back and one on the side, touching two enemy zones) you could rush the enemy, or set back and wait for them to approach. The 3v3 and 4v4 matches began with double and triple teams, rushes, etc . . .
The current deployment zones do not encourage such tactics. With Shogun 2 and its emphasis on hand-to-hand battles, the old Shogun deployment zones would work wonderfully and give teams the ability to surprise their enemy once again, instead of the "slowly approach one enemy in front of you, fire, then rush in with whats left after you run out of ammo" tactic.
~:lightbulb: Some maps similar in the original Shogun like Totomi and Nagishima and 4th Kawanasaki...
~:lightbulb: Fade out Effect - In STW this was annoying when you had an army in wooded areas you couldn't see your own army or watch the fighting very well in the woods as well as dragging lines.Trees should fade out so you can see your units more easly, but of course only x amount of distance cause you know you're in the woods.
~:lightbulb: Regular maps should not contain buildings and such which handicap pathing too much...

UNITS
~:lightbulb: Not to much new -different- units to make it all overcomplicate
~:lightbulb: Make units better response to running/charging
~:lightbulb: All Cav can dismount and mount - Any cavalry unit can dismount and mount or at the very lest be able to dismount.
~:lightbulb: Clear distinction between your units and that of your ally or opponent if you both have the same faction, also when selecting one. the hopping banner in former TW games was very usefull. Perhaps allow players to make their own banners!
~:lightbulb: A bit more use of fog of war, in NTW you can scroll on the map and check every unit of the enemy, units behind large mass of trees or hills should not be visible......
~:lightbulb: Horsearchers should be able to skirmish like in STW... which missile cav dont in NTW...

MINIMAP and GUI
~:lightbulb: Make possible to move units towards point by clicking on minimap
~:lightbulb: Make minimap fully resizable
~:lightbulb: Be able to give signals on the minimap
~:lightbulb: Show unit names and player name when hoovering over minimap (not available in ntw now)

MISCELLANEOUS
~:lightbulb: A battle mode esp. for ranking and tourneys where you play a map 2 times (with the same army or different armies?), one as attacker and one as defender and the server calculates the winner based on kill/loss ratio and the worth of units....
~:lightbulb: Make options to disable all sort of things like the background movie when hosting battles and such....
~:lightbulb: Regular patching if needed
~:lightbulb: Being able to host different koku numbers for each side...
~:lightbulb: Real Prizes in Tourneys, CA generated tourneys
~:lightbulb: As a contest idea to use the database of ranked battles to determine the maprating of each map. When u host a battle on a certain map a maprating is added which is translated in the different available koku numbers for each side. After every game played of alle mp players using that map the numbers are if needed automatically adjusted.... lets say oldskool Totomi..... could have got a maprating of 95%, where the defender gets 95% of the koku that is available to the attacker

DONTS
~:lightbulb: Dont add area of effects like from temples in the multiplayer battlemap. Keep it on the map when the battle is a part of a drop-in campaigngame and such....

Magyar Khan
09-03-2010, 05:03
Can it made sticky?

Gregoshi
09-03-2010, 05:21
Can it made sticky?
Done. Pretty good list to start things off. :yes:

Magyar Khan
09-03-2010, 05:56
Also people willingly to invest in better pointed out/ better written parts of texts feel free to post them here....... I may adopt them....

Sp00n
09-03-2010, 10:07
Nice to see you here again Magy after all these years :), amazing how many of us oldtimers are coming out of the woodwork for Shogun 2.

One thing that does annoy me in NTW atm is the inability to move battle sides in MP once all the slots are taken, you either have to kick someone get them to rejoin or put a cpu player in there to hold the slot.

There is also no rout button facility don't know know what the view is on that but I'm sure we used to have it.

I agree about the distinction of armies, its terrible in NTW if people take the same factions, hard to work out whose who at times.

Map packs from CA would be nice as well as user created ones, NTWs maps arnt great we used to have some great user created ones.

Really hope they give us the lobby back though that is my main want for MP.

Magyar Khan
09-03-2010, 13:35
tx spoon.... point about the swap disability added..... and even if a map is 3 vs 3 we should be abl;e to play it 4 vs 2 imo...

Swoosh So
09-04-2010, 13:08
Theres a common theme in these requests and its not new battle modes or new features its refinement of past features and existing features, i really hope ca are listening.

UglyElmo2
09-05-2010, 06:03
Things I miss:

1 Detailed logfiles of each game (Cuts down on cheating)
2 Host option to set precise money levels for each team (Allows for handicapping and lets the community decide what money level is best, not some pre-set arbitrary level.)
3 A dedicated Lobby, with private, password protected rooms. (Helps out considerably with tournaments/leagues/clan practice/post-game discussions etc . . . Helps build community)
4 Ban/Blocked lists, which are permanent and associated with one username) so you don't have to see troll's posts, or have them join your game and continually have to add them back each time you log on. (Cuts down on troublemakers)
5. A chat feature like the original Shogun had: "T" for Team and "Y" for All. It was quick, simple and the best thus far.
6. What I call "Named Maps". Instead of generic names like "HillyInland 3" or some of the current Empires/NTW maps, have a map for each province (area) of the campaign map. It makes it very difficult to discuss strategy when referring to a generic name or map. I can say to many a veteran "Remember positioning your archers on that small rise in the middle of Totomi to best kill the enemy frontline units?" and each could envision the map in their mind and know of what I speak. You cannot do that currently. Either the maps are not named for a specific place, or they do not have any recognizable terrain features which help in discussing team strategies.
7. Better net code, so we can once again play 4v4's. 4v4's are currently impossible for some reason and 3v3's are so laggy as to be impossible to play. The game needs to be optimized for 4v4. That is what the old MP communities thrived upon.
8. Deployment zone change to something similar to the original Shogun or MTW1: The current deployment zones are directly across from each other and do not touch each other. Most 3v3 games end up being mostly 3 1v1 battles, then the winners fight for the win. With the old deployment zones (3 in the back and one on the side, touching two enemy zones) you could rush the enemy, or set back and wait for them to approach. The 3v3 and 4v4 matches began with double and triple teams, rushes, etc . . . The current deployment zones do not encourage such tactics. With Shogun 2 and its emphasis on hand-to-hand battles, the old Shogun deployment zones would work wonderfully and give teams the ability to surprise their enemy once again, instead of the "slowly approach one enemy in front of you, fire, then rush in with whats left after you run out of ammo" tactic.
9. One thing new, which I would love to see added is a host option to limit what units can be used and how many can be used. This allows the community to quickly find a good balance when certain units become a problem and not have to pray CA can find the time and money to make the necessary changes. (Artillery anyone?)
10. Lastly, I would love to see a more detailed description of each game in the lobby: Who has joined already, what options have been selected, what size units are being used, what the money level is, the map name, the weather, and any other settings you can have for the game. Currently, you have to join a game to find out most of these. This causes many to join, then leave due to some setting they don't like.

Swoosh So
09-05-2010, 10:02
Nice to see you elmo :)

Another thing thats really bothering me is that when hosting a game my computer sometimes has a seizure when somone joins for upto 10 seconds, now i have an i7 4 gigs of ram and an 8mbit internet connection, why on earth should the game freeze and not allow me to type when we used to host 4v4 in shogun and people join with 56k modems? Ive played quite a few 3v3s that are running smooth always the smoother games seem to be with known players who are aware of their systems capabilities. but i see 4v4s goto hell all the time no matter whos in them. Why not have the game force a player to play with sprites and disable zoom if their pc cant handle the game they join? Noones in MP for the fancy 3D anyway we all play zoomed out and the game looks like mtw1 and runs worse for people with out of date pcs. The reason i think alot of oldies can stand to play ntw is that it kinda looks like mtw1.

And for the love of god disable that annoying video that plays in the background when were in the mp section of the game, NOONE likes it. If CA can point to 1 MP player that likes it ill hold my tongue. I have a sneaking suspicion that it causes problems too.
When did we ask for a multimedia sensation running in the background of the mp section of the game? noone ever watches it i couldent tell you what happened in any of the videos in the background from rome onwards its simply an annoyance and eye strain. We used to at least have the ability to disable it the switch -nm on the exe must have been one of the widest in use in the whole community through rome and mtw2.

The more i play the more i notice control problems with units, sometimes you can be sitting there and telling units to do stuff like run here and they simply wont do it, also when using a full army group sometimes the whole group becomes unresposive you cant command it to run or do anything untill you click a single unit then press ctrl a again.

UglyElmo2
09-05-2010, 10:31
Luckily I am used to selecting units individually so I found them easier to control that way instead of the group commands. You are right, when using group commands, your orders were sometimes ignored or worse yet, implemented in the wrong manner or at the wrong place. :) I don't know how many times my men set up with their backs turned to the enemy after I did a group move.

Swoosh So
09-05-2010, 10:43
I really miss the soft grouping options from the early totalwars with hotkeys to the group, you had soft grouping and grouping on the UI and they were seperate things. I remember kocmoc having about 17 groups with a 16 unit army :D

Kocmoc
09-06-2010, 10:40
first of all, please, please, please.... "on knies" please, get soem proper Betatests done. At least for MP the betatester should be kicked instantly. I made on our forum a long post about all the thing, i wont repeat that here, just some short notes:

1. If u play 1-2 hours, you will clearly notice, that twice the same faction or even worder, 3 times is just not playable anymore, not sure why this wasnt noticed in the beta!
1.1. colors for units, was something we had already in STW 10 years ago, why things which are more than useful are not used anymore?

2. Spread army in NTW. Since 10 years unit gets spread, there are many advances. I personal would have reacted to this and (just an example) never did allow line infantry to spread lower than 2 or 3 lines.
When i see that 2 armies almost use a full 4v4 map to setup their units something is wrong.

now to the wishlist.

Why i cant grp a single unit? (maybe i just dont know it, than im thankful for some advice) Actual i have to select my gen or a single unit with mouse clicking. The grouping seems buggy anyway, sometimes the units are in one grp, but can get clicked (to move) on the map anymore. Also sometimes i cant cancel a grp during the battle, which is many times needed, since one unit u dont want to use in the frontline.

Woods and units in it. Its almost impossible to see units in the woods, your own you only can see while holding down space. The enemy are many times very hard to see, controlling in woods is a pain.
Its easy done by making a transparent key, so the woods are blend out or thin out. This game is about tactical war, i dont want realism, i want more controlling.

Fog of war is an old idea and it should be there. Right now the game is very static, in STW you had the options to harras the enemy, little skirmishes here and there, some pressure and so on. In MTW this was already gone, you had almost always very static gameplay, shooting and than people who close a border somewhere.... very annoying, in MTW i did "exploit" within the gamelimits and pushed two full armies uphill (was elite for the CWB, if i remember well) One reason for me to stop the game...

Anyway, now we see the same, that you can counter a cav with your line infantry isnt a bad idea, but to almost cut down cav, which has only an effect on a few units or other cavs or vs bad player lower the momentum even more.

MP Setups for the hosts, i dont want to host a game and need to tell other player my "rules", why not just give us an option to set the rules while hosting?

Example: You set up and noone can choose art or more than 4 units from the same type... thats not hard to program and would be an awesome feature.

Koc

AggonyGrudge
09-06-2010, 16:05
Custom units and banners. (colors and logos), return of the chat lobby. Please, Please and Please.

Kocmoc
09-06-2010, 16:15
Custom units and banners. (colors and logos), return of the chat lobby. Please, Please and Please.

Custom units in MP is a no go imo, colors will be a nightmare, logos im with you.

The game basic works only, if you clearly see whats goin on, a unit you see, you also know the power. With time you get a feeling.
Custom units might be interesting for modding the game, in MP it might work, if everyone use the mod and have the same units.

Color ist easy, imagin a 2v2 and everyone use a combination of green, brown and yellow. That should be even better as playing with 4x france now!

the widespread of possible ways to play the game is already too much, what sense make it, to play with max cash and big unitsize, when you already cant spread your army on a normal map?
Why we can play with small, mid and large units, with different amounts of cash and rain. Rain is best, noone wants to play on a rainy map, but we got the option.

Imo, there should be a competitive and fun way to play the game, the fun way may offer options to play a selfmade campaign, where you might want to play in rain.

The competitive setup has to be very smart and offer very small options, since this is the only way to balance it properly.
We all know how more or less cash makes one ore the other unit/faction more or less powerful.

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
09-06-2010, 16:24
I think custom banners/units/uniforms should be a must Kocmoc. It will spark more esprit de corps per say with members and their clans and be good for tournaments and clan wars.

Swoosh So
09-06-2010, 16:40
I agree custom units in mp would be anightmare waiting to happen but no worries anyway CA are not creating mod tools for shogun2 and if anyone did change the colors themselves they would not be able to play with anyone else due to having different game files. A practical 8 base colors is fine 1 for each player in a 4v4.

Gregoshi
09-06-2010, 16:50
Of all the things we are expecting for MP, I think custom uniforms and such has to be very low on the priority list. The custom logo seems pretty harmless and might be a cool extra to have assuming everything else is right.

"Sure MP is a nightmare to play, but, hey, check out my custom mon!!" :shrug:

caravel
09-06-2010, 16:54
Custom mons would not be that hard to impliment actually. Most multiplayer games simply fetch any missing user made graphics from the server when you connect up, so doing this in TW for something as basic as a few KB clan mon would be very simple to achieve.

:2cents:

Kocmoc
09-06-2010, 16:58
since almost 10 years i repeat my lovely phrase over and over again, i wont stop to repeat it, so here we go: "Keep it simple!"

This is a tactical wargame, not a painting contest, if you want eyecandy and more unimportant stuff, than go and play monkey island.
I myself rather take average looking units, but some awesome gaming and great balance of the units.

Who of us really watching the units fighting? Do you zoom so far in? Me not, if i do, i waste the life of my soldiers on some other point.
Im leading a battle, i dont have the time to watch my men die.

Like Greg said, there are important things and less important, custom uniforms, units or whatever is actual the last thing i would care.

With all those ideas swimming around, which are mostly real nice, i remember the same situation back in 2003, an insane wishlist, tons of good ideas and than we got ROME!

Sp00n
09-06-2010, 17:09
Another thing I have noticed in NTW is that the Missile Cavalry don't have a skirmish ability, you have to manually control them at all times, the light infantry have it but they don't.

I really hope this is available on Shogun's Cav Archers , we had it before and it was very useful. :P

Also I'd be prepared to pay my own costs to do some beta testing.

Magyar Khan
09-06-2010, 20:38
ok will add the skirmishing cav archers..... which is obvious yes

Swoosh So
09-07-2010, 16:49
Some of them can skirmish, just some of them cant not sure why maybe they can only have so many buttons and its taken up by the dismount option on some not sure? :)

drone
09-07-2010, 17:05
Custom banners seem nice and all, until the :daisy:hats show up with swastikas and genitalia. I would advise against unless the foyer/matchmaking system has a properly implemented rating/ignore feature.

Magyar Khan
09-07-2010, 17:45
hahah yes good suggestion..... i think people are firstly satisfied if their own banner show up in their own games..... and a share banners button when joining battle would be fine....

Major Robert Dump
09-07-2010, 18:05
Banners with genitalia.....I would have been that guy on the first day, sad to say. Oh well, I will make the sacrifice for the good of the masses. But imagine all the puns that could have been

Kocmoc
09-07-2010, 18:14
well, there are solutions for anything.

There could be banner for certain people, if CA would accept some help, lets say from the ORG, Clans could sent/puplish theyr banner here.
Once some Moderater or whoever is in charge, did accept it, the banner gets "free" in game. Thats not a custom banner for everyone, but still it would be something...

I can also imagin to give personal banners to tourneywinner as a price.
Without to know, how much effort this is, the custom clan banner is surely something solid and a good thing. Put some rules up and done.

UglyElmo2
09-07-2010, 20:25
Heck, I know a lot of clan members who would pay for a DLC of their clan's banner. It could be a small source of income for CA. I would pay a dollar U.S. for an Ugly or Hunter Banner for myself. The clan's could design them, and CA could implement them for a small fee.

09-07-2010, 20:26
I would pay for a banner for something. Swissland banner :clown:.

Togakure
09-07-2010, 21:26
Custom Banners as reward/recognition items is an interesting idea. If they went through an approval process (to avoid swastikas and genetalia, etc.), then there would be quality control. The costs to maintain the process seem minimal if server-side tools to perform this simple thing were implemented. It has the potential to be something many players would want--visual, symbolic distinction in the community, on the battlefield.

This reminds me of clever daimyo who glorified tea ceremony, and by doing so, created incredible value in the artsy items used, to the point where such items could be offered to vassals instead of land, which was always a premium in Japan--but an expected exchange for military service. Value from nothing, essentially.

But, since I see willingness to pay for banners mentioned, I imagine that'd be a more popular idea in the eyes of the business. Revenue. [sigh]

UglyElmo2
09-07-2010, 21:30
I figure offering up an idea, with a small profit, increases the likelihood of said idea being implemented. hehe

Gregoshi
09-08-2010, 03:32
MONey talks.

Magyar Khan
09-08-2010, 10:02
Some good Posts I Will add some of your remarks next days ....

AMP
09-09-2010, 18:38
Well it would be nice to fix the things that needed to be fixed 10yrs ago...

Please Please a 1 click run toggle... I mean doesn't that bother you guys after all this time?

Also a normal in-game chat... Just hit a hot key type and hit enter and be able to see the typing and not have to tilt your camera just to see it. ( is it really that hard? )

AMP
09-09-2010, 19:31
And some more...

Why do we still after all these years have to say rules and rules over again? The creator should be able to set the cap limit on a unit even while in the lobby and there should be a box that shows unit restriction limits and updates everytime something is change. Also it should show on the unit card the limit you can have of that unit. All these years later and we still have to ask rules when we join a game. :(

Need to have the name of the Map when you join a game somewhere as well as an option to load up the map and view it. ( when someone dose this it shows everyone that they are checking the map )

Also get rid of the goofy count down timer that resets when each player loads when starting a game and do it right with showing everyones loading % in a nice looking progress bar. If someone is stuck at a % it will just show it and people can esc...

We should be able to save replays of games that were unfinished from the wonderful quitters and plug pullers and make a hall of shame for them.. :)

Magyar Khan
09-09-2010, 22:02
hhaha yes that goofy downtimer....

AMP
09-10-2010, 16:10
I wonder where all the people are that told me off when I suggested for the wishlist 10yrs ago about having a mp campaign and graphics like NTW has now. I must have gotten into several arguments about those two things in the past with them telling me it's not possible... I wonder what they have to say to me now? It was always possible it was just a matter of time and money.

And some more...

If a gun unit doesn't have LOS it shouldn't fire at the ground. ( yes I know you have hold fire, but that's not my point )

Be able to control more than 20 units at a time and if you do just add an arrow down and up where the unit icons are if needed... pretty simple

I would like to know the fatigue of a unit by showing it either on it's icon or next to the moral above the unit.

I would like to have a face to face with the person/persons who suggested that we able to see the enemies moral.

I would like to have camerafreedom built in as an option and not have to add it in by changing the pref config with every new TW. That way even new comers can have the advantage.

Swoosh So
09-12-2010, 13:43
With the game rules even if they had a little text box in game the host could modify so u dont have to say to 13 players that join each time would be great. The title isent enough for game rules and noone really reads the game title anyway.
I get tired of stating the rules every time a different player joins as the last one left because they couldent get german v2 rockets as prussia.

Why you cant copy paste into ntw is beyond me you cant even ctrl v, so you have to type the blasted rules every 10 seconds untill some players agree to the rules and stay.

Magyar Khan
09-14-2010, 01:57
Bumpdated

Gregoshi
09-14-2010, 02:31
Magyar, do you want to add some do's and don't's to the map section of the OP. For example, in one of the map threads there was much gnashing of teeth over buildings/towns on the NTW maps because pathing doesn't know how to handle them, so MP maps should NOT have buildings or towns.

Swoosh So
09-14-2010, 06:54
Trouble is CA said in an interview there will be temples that radiate mysterious auras or something on the battlefield. Im all for the location giving a bonus just leave the building off the map :p we will pretend its there promise!

LadyAnn
09-14-2010, 08:13
Temple with Mystery Aura? Is this Fantasy:Totalwar? But then... shiny ... shiny...
Annie

Kocmoc
09-14-2010, 14:02
i personal dont like those auras or AOEs.

The general is already an increased luckfactor and raise the random factor, to bring more AOEs will increase the combination of luck, increase randomness and make the unit value less interesting. Same goes with moral.

Gregoshi
09-14-2010, 14:40
Trouble is CA said in an interview there will be temples that radiate mysterious auras or something on the battlefield.
I forgot about that. The feature has some merit in that as spiritual places can have a powerful effect on the mind. This sounds more like a SP feature though than something that makes sense in a MP game.

Orda Khan
09-14-2010, 20:09
Trouble is, stuff like that always seems to carry over into MP. There has always been a few tiles at map edges where deployment is not allowed and these areas, or in out of the way places is where I used to place models.
Anyway, I'd not heard about that aura stuff but straight away it sounds like they are about to ruin things again.

AMP
09-15-2010, 05:05
What are they trying to do? Experiment some with fantasy in STW2 to see how it goes and how people like it because the next TW is a FTW? I'm all for a fantasy TW, but lets keep it in FTW only... ( bring on the fireballs and lighting bolts! ) :)

Some more wishlist stuff I'd like to see in STW2...

When you save replays I'd like to seem them sorted by date, save names who vs who so you don't have to type them, tell winner loser side without having to load it and when you click on a replay have another box show up listing all players unit selections in that game.

I would like to see the Cav fixed in STW2... bad idea to have them try and turn to flank units all on their own when you issue an attack. Example where it can get buggy with that - heavier cav that are slower which try this on a unit I've seen get bugged and never attack the unit only run at the units side the whole time and will not engage!

Major Robert Dump
09-15-2010, 10:05
The aura is a bad idea no matter what. Even if the building relates to a unit, ie a temple to monks, a building offering a moral or other type of bonus during combat is retarded. Seeing your mate get his head chopped off, being outnumbered, getting flanked or impaling the enemy is going to have the same effect on a soldier regardless of what building you stand next to.

The other thing that irritates me about AOEs is that the magical effect stops at a certain distance. So the guy standing 40 feet away is affected, but the guy 42 feet away is not. Dumb. They would also likely establish "ownership" of a landmark AOE, instead of allowing units on both sides to benefit (which would be pointless). The problem with changing ownership, however, is dumb from a historical RTS standpoint: the enemy has the moral bonus during the fight, but I take it from him and now I get the bonus and he does not? Sounds like Dawn of War to me
(

Magyar Khan
09-15-2010, 13:04
i will add it , as i agree... it would be plain stupid.... will add a new header with the title DONTS

AMP
09-15-2010, 18:07
Another addition to replays would be to have them auto save on their own after a match to about up to 3 before they start rewriting over that way we won't have to worry about forgetting to save a replay sometimes.

Swoosh So
09-15-2010, 19:07
hate when somone quits a game when losing USSR clan are a nightmare for it, then you cannot save the replay since the player quit.

AMP
09-21-2010, 19:07
hate when somone quits a game when losing USSR clan are a nightmare for it, then you cannot save the replay since the player quit.

That's why the game should be able to save replays if someone drops or the game crashes... it is possible, but I wonder how hard it is to implement.

At the .com they are doing if you had one wish what would it be? As a MP player I would have to look at the thing that hurts the most which is the time consuming double checking everything to make sure units are doing what they are suppose to be doing such as - units running, units drawin out how you drew them when you dragged a line, units coming out of box formation properly, units on fire at will, units in melee mode, and units not taking a long way around into enemy fire.

The top of the list would be units running since that is what you want your units to do the most in the heat of battle to get to their location fast and into formation quickly. When you draw a line you have to wait for the command to go thru before you can hit R and if you hit R to fast your unit will walk. If you just want to give a move order you can double click to run, but you have to do it right for the unit to run or else it'll be walking at a time when you need it running. A very simple solution would be to have something like a universal toggle button that you can click on and off for running, so no double checking for anything... when you draw a line your units will be running and when you give a move order with one click your units will run... and when you have it toggled off you can use the double click and R as needed for run. I feel handicapped when I'm double checking all the time and having to wait to hit the R key on some units when I need to be quickly going back and forth controlling units.

The others are annoying, but not as bad to deal with like the running, but they all do add up...

units don't always draw out like you want them to - when you press the space bar they could be in some other formation and even in a long line into enemy fire and let's not forget about having to try multiple times in tight locations to get a formation you want

units don't always come out of box formation the right way and sometimes end up being long ways into enemy fire and it can get bugged when using boxing formation saying the unit is in box when it is not or that it isn't in box when it is and using a hot key I tried for it doesn't help

units on fire at will and units with melee on - what happened to just holding alt when you quickly wanted to go into melee with a unit that is ranged? now you have to check and click and also wait which is a step backwards I would think

units going the long way around buildings - hmmm just go through them would be nice :)

AMP
09-23-2010, 16:20
Hmmm it's pretty dead around here right now I wonder why...

To keep things coming in... STW2 one of the interviews said about making the units more distinguishable just like the original STW... it was pretty easy to tell which units were what when zoomed out. In NTW alot of units look alike when zoomed out and zoomed in and you have to mouse over all of them to know what you're facing infront of you and that's if you know the units. You now have DLC units which an opponent can have against you which is fine I don't care, but you also need to find out the stats to them.

It would be nice in STW2 if you could view stats of an enemy unit during a match by right clicking on it just like you can of your own units by clicking on a unit card. If not at least have it where you can view DLC units and stats of which you don't have in a faction when selecting your units, if they plan on moving to this trend of DLC and no more packaging it all in expansions.

I hope in STW2 units are easier to tell apart just like the old days.

AMP
09-23-2010, 16:30
Steam can be VERY ANNOYING

You lose connection to steam you get booted out of your game and having NTW only a few weeks it has happened a dozen times already.

Someday they'll have their own reliable servers (I hope), but unfortunately we're gonna be stuck with steam for a very long time and so the random disconnects continue... :(

Sp00n
09-24-2010, 12:49

You lose connection to steam you get booted out of your game and having NTW only a few weeks it has happened a dozen times already.

Someday they'll have their own reliable servers (I hope), but unfortunately we're gonna be stuck with steam for a very long time and so the random disconnects continue... :(

Yep I get it too, crap connectivity at times.

Jochi Khan
09-24-2010, 15:32

This I think is the biggest problem for MP'ers

AMP
09-24-2010, 16:13
Well I don't know how it works, but why do you need both steam and the host inorder for the game not to crash? In other games I've played when the host left the game it would just select a new host out of players still in the game. Dose steam need to be running to check something in NTW all the time while playing? I have no idea.

The game is bad enough with the other drops... host leaves game sometimes crashes, player leaves game sometimes crashes, sometimes the game will boot everyone out back to the game lobby, someone crashes or fails to load and you sit through the silly count down timer without knowing, and just yesterday I got booted and it said VAC authentication error when my copy is from steam and I didn't change a thing...

It also trims down when you really don't have a standard playing online with all the silly games up with the broken maps, different unit sizes, having 3 battles land, siege, and naval. This is fine, but when you add it with the connection problems and broken ways people can play it really hurts the MP experience.

09-28-2010, 19:43

Almost every game On NTW MP I did is like this for me, but on ETW I rarely had this happen to me. Unbelievable.

AMP
09-29-2010, 05:48
Almost every game On NTW MP I did is like this for me, but on ETW I rarely had this happen to me. Unbelievable.

I know right! It's Unacceptable! They make money, so they should get their act together!

This List should be updated, but it seemed like magy lost his excitment about STW2.

Kas
09-30-2010, 08:56
I like to see a limit to stretching units to the rediculous 3 miles wide single line shape.

Furthermore...Steam is a drama right now (on NTW anyway)

Swoosh So
09-30-2010, 10:05
How do other rts titles compare when hosting games and playing are there many drops?

AMP
09-30-2010, 16:37
I remember somebody the name of Red Devil in STW that claimed to have started to single line and did it with all ND units. When I met him in WiC and he played in my clan he didn't know my name from STW. When I told him I played STW back in the day, he claimed to be unbeatable and the best at it when he played and this was all over ventrilo voice chat! The sad part is he didn't remember the match I won against him... :)

They discontinued units being able to fire two rank deep to allow the opposing side a chance to charge into melee I guess. In STW you could fire two rank deep and cause high casualties on units at close range, but it was all good.

The thing that bothers me the most is the soldiers 1on1 fights when engaged with the enemy. I guess they did it so cavalry had a chance in melee cause they want to keep cavalry units at a smaller unit size? I'm sure they could've just changed the game to allow some soldiers to be able to defend against multiple enemies to compansate for their smaller unit sizes when they are suppose to be tough in melee. I would hate to see thousands of soldiers in melee in STW2 all going at it 1v1...

Orda Khan
09-30-2010, 20:54
it seemed like magy lost his excitment about STW2.
Can't blame him.

09-30-2010, 21:36
Can't blame him.

Ja sir, but it is still early yet to talk about the game and what we all are going to do for the love of God.

:juggle2::laugh4:

Swoosh So
09-30-2010, 22:58
I think magy is busy with other things at the moment.

AMP
10-01-2010, 05:47
Best to talk about it now before it gets released because when it is done most of everything we brought up can't be added in an expansion only in the next TW.

I'm happy just because of the fact that they are doing STW2 where STW is one of my 3 all time favorites in RTS games that I've played. It was on a smaller scale of everything which made the game at it's time a work of art for me because of balance/gameplay.... not perfect of course, but good enough to keep me into the game for 3 years!

My 1st game online was populous the beginning back in 1998 and I played that for 3 years over starcraft which at that time was worshipped by all the RTS gamers. It was very unique from other RTS games, but over the 3 yr span I've played it online we only got an expansion that added just a few MP maps and that was it! The developers couldn't figure out why the game wasn't doing that well online when it was run by java script to launch games and they didn't add no new units or spells over all the years!!!

At least I got a large amount of ideas out that should be added/addressed in MP for STW2 and hopefully one or two of them are in STW2 when it's released.

Swoosh So
10-01-2010, 08:29
From knowing you i know that the 3 rts games are shogun world in conflict and populous, what were the other games like in terms of hosting and dropping/crashes? were they as bad as ntw seems to be?

Orda Khan
10-01-2010, 16:04
Best to talk about it now before it gets released because when it is done most of everything we brought up can't be added in an expansion only in the next TW.
Too right.

I only ever played TW but my brother was always raving about populous.

AMP
10-01-2010, 17:07
From knowing you i know that the 3 rts games are shogun world in conflict and populous, what were the other games like in terms of hosting and dropping/crashes? were they as bad as ntw seems to be?

NTW isn't that bad... it's steam when it goes hiccup crazy and getting booted out of a good game that you're in the middle of is crazy annoying.

The drops that we're getting might be from the DLCs. When I didn't have them the whole 3 weeks I never got a drop were your mouse pointer turns to a clock really fast and just boots you to the host game room without a msg. I could be wrong, but I only started experiencing that kind of drop after I downloaded the DLCs, so they could be related in some way. Before I would see a msg first with the persons name before going back to the game room and those drops didn't happen as much.

As far as other games... most were pretty good MP wise. I played to many to remember them all, but here's a few good ones... Homeworld, Total Annihilation, WarCraft3 and Dungeon Keeper2. I was hooked on STW at the time, so I didn't play them online very much, but when I did it wasn't drop crazy. The games that were bad MP with drops and crashes were ones with little money or the Devs just didn't care after they got their money and of course I didn't play them long, because I need a stable MP to keep me playing the game, so they never got my money with the expansions and when they added to the series.

AMP
10-01-2010, 17:24
Too right.

I only ever played TW but my brother was always raving about populous.

Populous was awesome for sure and I would still be going back and playing from time to time if they had only added and improved it. A few maps and SP missions with an expansion? Where is the real good stuff like new units and spells? What a joke...

I like Peter Molyneux Dungeon Keeper1 & 2 and Theme Park ( not really my thing, but it was good ) old school games. When he moved on to the Black and White game where you play with a big teddy bear that was the end of my liking for him.

It seems like some people when they have a Real Gem they don't know what to really do with it. And these people are 10x smarter where is their imagination?

Kas
10-05-2010, 12:15
On NTW when units rout...it's mostly beyond repair.

I like to see a more sensible routing/rallying system and merge depleted units during the battle.

When all is lost...a chain rout makes sense and it's perfectly fine troops run for home, but it's silly to see units run off while the rest of the army does fine. In that case routing units should rally more easily (even without the general asking for it).

And I like the idea of merging battered units to new (lower level?) units.

Oh...and give me a bit more time to deploy my troops:shame:

AMP
10-11-2010, 19:01
When units rout it's not only mostly beyond repair it's a lot of the times the redzone depending which direction the unit runs which I never liked. It would be nice to have both bigger maps and a more sensible rally system. I've seen people at other sites say no to bigger maps cause they complain their pc will fry when it's like if your pc can't handle the bigger maps don't play on them? On some maps I feel so boxed in with hardly any room to breathe. And on top of that people ask for a bigger standard unit size when at the same time they complain about needing a super computer to run the game (it's good to see tournaments being played at a sensible unit size).

I always wanted to be able to merge battered units when they got low enough ever since STW, but I always thought it went against the rule of having fixed units during a battle which they didn't want to mess with. In NTW you need at least a certain about of soldiers in the unit so it can square and when you have two units just below that limit you only wish you could merge them together to get that square option. I would rather see units being able to square no matter the unit size just a lesser bonus when it's at a smaller size to a zero bonus when you have almost nothing left in the unit. Gotta love those people who worship ranked games as if you win money or prizes for it and try to get away with cheap wins, by playing small unit size and picking an all cavalry army because the enemy line won't be able to square. I hope STW2 keeps it old school where you don't need a silly formation like that vs cavalry and just need to make sure your spears are turned in the right direction. :)

Steam is gonna be one of the top buggers for multiplayer anyway... I gave it a rest for awhile from annoying controls that haven't changed in ages along with all the drops/quitters and everytime I try to log on to steam it's either down or goes down at some point while I'm logged on. When steam goes down you go down... kicked out of your game and to have it happen during a serious match or tournament match would really get on my nerves. I wish they would have their own dedicated servers STW2, but fat chance on that, so I hope Steam doesn't play games everytime I turn around when I'm on to play.

Tempiic
11-06-2010, 17:25
I think I'd like to see a return of the stat penalty to units crowded together. It's absence I think might be partially why RTW and M2TW did not play well.

Magyar Khan
11-06-2010, 19:12
i have no proof for this i would like to see such penalty too the more we talk about it the more we see how the core engine of mtw vi was very good

Sp00n
11-11-2010, 23:37
15th March not long now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-11-shogun-2-total-war-dated

Tempiic
11-15-2010, 21:13
Hmm sounds way too soon to me, personally.

Swoosh So
11-15-2010, 22:13
Ye its too soon for another full release but tbh napoleon totalwar hasent got enough life in it to last longer, especially in mp the map selection drives me nuts.

NIKARXOS
11-15-2010, 22:24
Guys this is something out of your discussion I want to ask, how can I add my saved game so eneryone can download it in a Thread and tell me your opinions??

Tempiic
11-16-2010, 09:02
Ye its too soon for another full release but tbh napoleon totalwar hasent got enough life in it to last longer, especially in mp the map selection drives me nuts.

You made a good point, unfortunately.

11-16-2010, 18:30

Bull. You ain't tired 'till you played on each map at least 10 times, including the sieges. :laugh4:

Swoosh So
11-16-2010, 19:41
The only thing thats bull is the siege games, if i dident try a map 10 times its because it dident warrant playing it 10 times. ive played 446 games of ntw online ad believe me im tired of all the mp battle maps. I was actually tired of them a few hundred games ago.

Sp00n
11-16-2010, 19:55
NTW isn't that bad... it's steam when it goes hiccup crazy and getting booted out of a good game that you're in the middle of is crazy annoying.

The drops that we're getting might be from the DLCs. When I didn't have them the whole 3 weeks I never got a drop were your mouse pointer turns to a clock really fast and just boots you to the host game room without a msg. I could be wrong, but I only started experiencing that kind of drop after I downloaded the DLCs, so they could be related in some way. Before I would see a msg first with the persons name before going back to the game room and those drops didn't happen as much.

As far as other games... most were pretty good MP wise. I played to many to remember them all, but here's a few good ones... Homeworld, Total Annihilation, WarCraft3 and Dungeon Keeper2. I was hooked on STW at the time, so I didn't play them online very much, but when I did it wasn't drop crazy. The games that were bad MP with drops and crashes were ones with little money or the Devs just didn't care after they got their money and of course I didn't play them long, because I need a stable MP to keep me playing the game, so they never got my money with the expansions and when they added to the series.

I pwned plenty of people on Homeworld for a year on MP few issues at all, was really good online. :P

AMP
03-13-2011, 21:49
I think I'd like to see a return of the stat penalty to units crowded together. It's absence I think might be partially why RTW and M2TW did not play well.

This has me worried after playing the demo - blobing units just eating away even though they are sandwitched. In old TW they took a stat penatly melee and morale bunching up in balls.

UglyJun
03-14-2011, 06:32
yes Plz give us a stat penalty to units that bunch up and turn into pacman :(

Kocmoc
03-14-2011, 10:04
Well, the playerbase (which isnt huge) changed completly. Today people consider you as good player, if you can charge with some cavs the enemy missles.
Today we face people who come from NTW or ETW and some are from Rome. Many of us didnt like Rome and stopped, while there are many today, who love Rome.

The current TW game is more or less some cavmovement and than it takes this route mostly:

1. outshot - with the hardcore, high skillintensive cavcharges
2. frontal attack, with some amazing general-movement

The penalties are a nightmare, they are almost no existent. Flanking and rearing seems not to have any real effect, so the armies are clustered and you better hold the lines (thanks to NTW) than trying to flank or outmaneuver anything.

The Demo is good enough to see the problems, steroid units circled completely or at least almost fully, fight and fight and fight....keeps fighting....still fighting....won!
We need a much better penalty system, where flanking means something, where units rout quick, if outplayed badly.

S2 is a NTW-clone, the only skirmish in NTW was done by cavs, unless you played otto. Its (well, its napoleon time with many guns, so its fine if you like this time-area).
I doubt we will see much of a difference between this two games. S2 has less missle-activity and a bit higher h2h activity.

A real problem are those rubber-band/bubble-gum units, which once in fight are hard to figure out, where on earth they are actual.
You can easy test that in the demo, once units are in fight, they spread all over the place, you will find it pretty hard to figure out, where they really are and which direction they fight. If armies did clash you know of course, which direction most units will look too, but you hardly will see it, you also wont see, if they turned direction.

Since units are mixed into each other, try to get a charge in there with a flank or rearmaneuver.
The chance, that your unit get stuck into another unit and lose its charge is high.

Everyone playing NTW will know and see the same problem, like you can see in the demo and tomorrow you will see it live!
The general and the abilities, same as certain skills are much more important than any movement or smart maneuver.

GL everyone with the game, may you find what you expect.

AMP
03-14-2011, 17:28
Well maybe just for kicks and high hopes it would be a good idea to refresh the wishlist after shogun 2 comes out and keep updating it as time goes on to throw fully filled list of wishes at the next TW.

You might be right about how STW2 plays out, but lets wait and see what playing styles form over time.

Yes sadly units are still banded together like bubble gum and you gotta love those cavalry dances, but part of the problem is no one knows what you mean or just don't see it when you try to explain it to them. I'm happy I'm not the only one that sees it thanks kocmoc. :)

And sadly it seems penalties for flanking and rear attacks aren't as strong and I think part of the problem is due to so many 1v1s that go on within combat, where soldiers become unkillable when doing long finishing moves.

gollum
03-14-2011, 17:45
TW mpers in an SP dominated TW world can easily appear like crazed prophets. Not a good feeling going upstream, indeed.

Kocmoc
03-17-2011, 11:12
my new wish!

- we need somehow a solution to get into the same Chatroom, even if we come from different countries.

IF i think about a tourney, the current chat wont help at all, we need a way to get us in one room or at least see same rooms.

Actual I sit in a german chat with all my friends playing on other "chatrooms", sigh! GHA GHA GHA twice-good-GHA!

gollum
03-17-2011, 11:37
Its GAH Kocmoc, GAH ;)

(or is GHA, GAH in german? ;)

Napoleon The Emperor Of Europe
03-17-2011, 14:20
Its GAH Kocmoc, GAH ;)

(or is GHA, GAH in german? ;)

I just want Shogun 2...

OUT4BLOOD
03-17-2011, 20:30
S1 was the only TW game I played online, and I'm getting slightly frustrated with the elements which Kocmoc outlined. S1 was a fine art of morale balancing, S2 seems a lot more random to me.

hope things will make more sense soon

Magyar Khan
03-19-2011, 01:07
game feels ok enough for me to get addicted...... the combat engine is weaker than in stw1 and the matchmaker system a joke..... but its addicted..... it is a little gem but its not shining yet..... too many bugs flying around :o(

Kocmoc
03-20-2011, 17:29
Especially in high fund games, you start to face camper with 4 mangonels in their back, its possible to win, but its not easy.

What we now see is the problem we pointeded out a few times already, since units hold so extremely long, people can move and play very bad, still, you cant really outplay something.
You flank good, you rear, you time it well.... but the unit stand there, alone, completely circled and dont rout till the last men is dead!
This happens with any moral 10 unit (or above of course) which isnt tired.

Actual we will see this coming more and more, people with lack of skills, move terrible, still do insane damage on your army, because the game support this crap.

Mistakes are not punished enough! thats for sure. flanking and rearing means almost nothing, the only thing a flank is good for is, to get the charge in and kill many, but the moral penalty isnt there at all.

AMP
03-22-2011, 06:01
So far I faced a few guys camping with a mangonel in the middle of their box or hidden way off in the corner, but they were all terrible players, even a couple allowed me to swing cavalry unit clear as day around their back and charge through a gap taking it out. It is annoying, but from a distance I can see the shots coming and if it's after your cavalry or general you can just dodge them, sadly you can't with infy though, just don't stay to packed.

It's 100% true mistakes aren't punished enough. Rear charging a unit with base morale of 10 + rally going on it and it won't break or suffer enough loses, even when you set it up so your cavalry unit gets a good running start smack dead on into the back of the unit. It's very annoying to see a Nag Infy sandwiched fighting forever and almost until death or even warrior monks with base morale of 15, nothing like seeing a blob of them sandwiched just eat away through anything. Blobs I can handle though just by tying them up and shooting them to hell with missile units, but the thing is if you sandwich them with melee with equal or close to equal combat points you should get the same effect of pounding them to hell with missiles, but you don't and the blob will come out equal on kills with the units that sandwiched them just about.

So far I played about 100 or more 1v1s MM and lost about 5 and 4 out of the 5 was me just getting out tanked (mostly all melee no missile units), where it didn't matter how hard I worked with flanking and rear attacks and matchups, units wouldn't break therefore getting beat down by more tank numbers with morale base of 10. My last lost I had was just me not pay attention to fund amount (now getting more 14k), where I started with a 10k army in a 14k match - I deserve to lose not paying attention (wish i had a 14k army he was good, a runner making me chase him, but he was still decent). I also had to concede a defeat vs cancritter after him making me chase him to the corner and right when I see a cav of his going for my general CAMERA SYNC OUT (can't click on anything and my screen goes blurry)... sigh what timing, might be my graphics card, but I reported it twice in the beta and here in the release it's still there... zzz

I'm not having to much trouble with tank armies - partly due to the fact most suck and if people were half-way decent I'd lose alot more because of mistakes not being payed for like they should be. The other reason is just me being a gun monkey right now, which is like the other other big thing to help take morale down aside from killing the general.

Kocmoc
03-22-2011, 13:05
Amp, we did figure this out weeks ago already, in games with 14 the best is to buy heavy melee and some yari cavs. Melee with 9 armor and than move it. There are retainer for extra armor wich will pay of, if you rush some missles. Thats the way the game will head for, simply as the bad playing people can much easyer controll a straight rush, than a smart playing.

Yes, guns is the way to go, but still, the game is too limited right now. If you cant outmove the enemy and units fight till end of days, we can just take off moral and skip that feature, which seems not to matter anymore!

AMP
03-22-2011, 16:00
Yes I know Kocmoc and in my post I was agreeing with you, that you don't pay dearly for mistakes and we knew this before the game was even released, why are you so surprised?

Armor is suppose to increase missile defense AND melee defense, but question is... how dose it help with melee defense and how much of an increase? They won't give us the answer to that question. I know alot of people don't care to know stats and only care about *feeling*, but I like to go by both thank you very much - none of this hidden info crap.

I tried to point out a couple times, that people aren't getting, which seems to be effecting flanking/rear attacks as well, is all the 1v1 duals that go on, where the soldiers can't be touch by any other enemy soldiers at the time it's going on.

Tomisama
03-23-2011, 17:29
Sorry no time to read all.

Heigth advantage for range units a reality in S2?

Kocmoc
03-23-2011, 17:44
Sorry no time to read all.

Heigth advantage for range units a reality in S2?

Higher ground doesnt give you wider range for your missles. It was in other TW version, today its not.
Hills have very little till no effect. Woods have good effect, especially vs incoming arrows.

Terrain means very little. Terrain mostly cause problems with setting up, since many maps are very clustered, with all those little towns, blocking hills in it.
There are also problems with guns, they are calculated for each single men, so you can have 1 men shooting and the other cant shoot because LOS.

Nigel
03-23-2011, 19:04
There are also problems with guns, they are calculated for each single men, so you can have 1 men shooting and the other cant shoot because Line Of Sight

... which seams realistic to me and how it should be.

But that high ground does not give a range advantage to arrows is a pitty.
They probably took it out to discourage campers, but along with it took away an important taktical element. :(

Kocmoc
03-23-2011, 21:36
... which seams realistic to me and how it should be.

But that high ground does not give a range advantage to arrows is a pitty.
They probably took it out to discourage campers, but along with it took away an important taktical element. :(

Well, it is a huge tactical momentum, yes. To take it out is not the best idea. About LOS and single mens firing. Well, its realistic, i like it, but there should be a way to see this easyer.
You really have to zoom completely in, else you wont see this. During a battle you hardly will have the time to do this.

AMP
03-24-2011, 18:26
There is a bonus in melee when fighting downhill... just run any 1vs1 test with vanilla melee units of the same kind, you'll see the difference, just not a huge one.

Hills don't help with extra distance for arrows, but they are nice to help position your troops right in some spots so you can get your guns to fire over your troops and not through them (friendly fire).

Woods can be nice for cover from missile units. Also ninjas are great for woods... they'll take out a yari cav no problem in them and on open terrain they'll lose ofc (cav lose speed and suffer in melee combat in woods ofc).

I can see the gun flashes from which ones are firing and which ones aren't plus the smoke rising from the guns that are only firing (zoomed out). The thing is you'll see some gun shots going straight through your troops and hitting enemy troops (yes i zoomed in a replay to check this out). :/

Kocmoc
03-25-2011, 09:13
I said, the bonus is almost not there, im sure, the random factor is a lot higher. Same as some new cavtests, you can beat the randomness till a certain degreee, still, its hard to say, if its a bonus ore if its random. I couldnt see any real effect of fighting downhill. I dont see much advance on sitting on a hill, apart from the speed.

Woods are good, i go so far and say, woods a good designed, the difference makes sense and is big enough to give you a tactical momentum.
Hills are like the rearing/flanking, its maybe there, but it doest make any difference.

Aaron, did you test walking cav or the stackable moral penalties? I still have a hard time to understand some things, it seems, sometimes penalties/advances are shown, sometimes not. Bad omen seems to stack, at least sometimes, or my legendary retainer doesnt work sometimes....

AMP
03-25-2011, 17:46
Well I don't have 2pcs to do tests like I could in the past... really wish I had a 2nd one for stw2, so much testing could be done. Maybe you'd like to buy me one? :)

Well as far as hill bonus go I've seen in 1v1s unit of same kind the attacker downhill winning all the time, but that was before the game was released. Can't really tell while in a normal game with all the action going on... need to run tests for that.

Walking Cav? you mean when cavalry is sitting still and getting charged yet still winning? no I haven't run a test with that in the released version... I do wonder if that's fixed

As for the stackable morale penalties units with different kinds such as whistling arrows, scare, and warcry I'm sure they stack (except two of the same kind) and I don't think retainers that give the same -bonus would stack either or else that'd be really OP. In 2v2s and up the negative retainers just go to one enemy, so everyone says anyway.

FasT
03-25-2011, 18:00
Hoowwll......Well i wish they would fix the bugs.Been reading forums and seems no point even playin atm..:(

Btw, Hi Kocmoc , AMP, Magy etc... Once ive get the game installled and running.Feel free to test with me Amp or whoever else wishes....ive restricted game time atm , hopefully after issues r sorted out i will have more time....

Zarobien
05-08-2011, 10:10
1. Remove the possibility of having general that costs 0 koku or better; make the general cost same for everyone. (The general upgrades are not in level with the money they cost. The matching system should take care of the difference of general benefits.)
2. Make ashigaru unit upgrades to cost less than samurai upgrades and samurai upgrades less than monk upgrades. (The benefit is bigger; cost should follow. This is balancing part II thing.)
3. Make artillery unavailable for standard games or raise the cost to 4x what it is now. (Not only is fixed artillery vs moving enemy an unrealistic; it is also exploited a lot and shapes the game to really boring one.)
4. The matching system needs fixing. (I'm rank 6... I been autolosing fights against rank 9-10 since I was rank 1. The rank 1 players been autolosing to me since rank 4.... It's not fair; its not fun; its not competitive; it doesnt work.)
5. Make personal banning system that prevents banned player to play with or against you. (I have about 100 russians in my timezone that spend their time figuring how to exploit. I could really live whitout 100 of them.)

Those are the ones I would put up as main issues after two weeks of play. I had some good games but... over 50% is someshort of exploiting. I have lost quite a few games due making tactical error, I have won few when opponent made one... Thats how it should be. Not like 75% of the loses; opponent has better army and steam rolls; unlocked all the units like hero units, camping strategy with arty or smt similar. Game should be won means other than having unfair advantage.