PDA

View Full Version : IGN Reader Q and A

tibilicus
09-07-2010, 02:47
http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/111/1118578p1.html

I'm not sure if any questions from the .org made it but never the less, I don't think this has been posted before. Should hopefully shine some light on a little more stuff.

Alexander the Pretty Good
09-07-2010, 04:43
First off, way to go IGN repeating questions. Maybe they just don't know how to read? In that case I'll apologize but maybe they shouldn't be in text-based media then...

And I know they don't pay Kieron to be honest, but he could just say "AI will be a crapshoot, depends on how done it is when it's time to release it" and "we'd rather sell you new uniforms heroes in DLC than work on making modding possible."

Gregoshi
09-07-2010, 05:26
This type of Q&A is just too early in the game development to be of any use. Short of videos showing off the graphics engine, there are too many key aspects of the game that haven't been nailed down yet.

pevergreen
09-07-2010, 10:27
Thanks for posting though, I check the site every few days, but had no luck.

They just spammed questions of one guy, they said they recovered the first page of questions, which means my question about chat rooms and such, but no, its not there.

Typical.

tibilicus
09-07-2010, 13:44
Well IGN are renowned for their journalistic integrity..

I guess I agree with Gregoshi in many ways. The guy from CA couldn't really go in to any depth as things are still early in development and the things which were mentioned were a bit general. I guess it at least gives us an idea of where things are going. The guy from CA does say that more details (particularly multiplayer details) should be released soon so I guess that's good news. Then again, it depends if "soon" means soon by normal people's standards or soon by game developer standards, which would mean another two months at least..

Monk
09-07-2010, 14:33
This type of Q&A is just too early in the game development to be of any use. Short of videos showing off the graphics engine, there are too many key aspects of the game that haven't been nailed down yet.

There's a few goods bits of information here and there that are interesting but above all I have to agree, there's not a lot in the Q and A that's solid. Partly due to the questions, and largely due to how limited the answers are. No one wants to say anything concrete when the game has technically not yet reached alpha phase.

The two good parts of information I saw were in regards to technology and multiplayer maps, but even those answers didn't give much to go on. Regardless, thanks for posting tibilicus! :bow:

Togakure
09-07-2010, 23:30
Yep, thanks for sharing the find. Any information which suggests direction from CA is good to know. Agreed, it's rather early, and the revelations vague. Soon though we may be able to see patterns emerging--for better or worse, heh.

Barkhorn1x
09-09-2010, 17:34
Yawn...same 'ol, same 'ol. Way to go IGN readers, wasting questions on stuff that is already known:

"infinity_ward_fan: Will this cover the entire history of the samurai? If not what period of history will it be focusing on? It would be really cool to be able to experience the early days of the samurai all the way until the end of the samurai in the 1800s."
(Sure dude, from 1200 to 1860 - at 4 turns per year that's only 2,640 turns! Well the guys name is "infinity".)

"JapanU.S.relations: What features from the naval aspect of Empire: Total War will you be bringing over to Shogun?"
(Yea, naval battles will be "cool")

..and then there is my favorite; "Yarichin: What's being done to address the shortcomings of the AI?"

...that was a good question - and the follow up even better (ouch!!). But the response??

"Kieran Brigden: The simple answer is lots. AI has been given more priority and importance in this game than ever before. We recognise we need to get this right and we will. The battlefield AI for example is having its siege systems and combat mechanics drilled into, and in large parts rewritten." The follow-up question response was more of the same.

Typical CA boilerplate that I could swear was recycled from an Empire interview. At this point Kieran has ZERO credibility with me. He merely parrots the party line that I doubt even he believes. Up to Empire I ran out to buy every TW game as soon as they were released. This time? Nope. I'll read knowledgable reviews here before I purchase. If I purchase.

I probably will end up waiting for the frist substantive patch that fixes stuff that "somehow" got missed in Beta - but was identified in less than a day when released.

Obadiah
09-10-2010, 03:27
Looking for the silver lining, I see this: naval battles will interact with shoreline defenses. Isn't this something people were seriously hoping for in Empire, that attacking ports would cause land and sea forces to meet? (Or did I read something wrong?)

Kagemusha
09-10-2010, 09:47
Wellcome back Barkhorn1x and Obadiah!Nice to see more old Orgah´s returning to the forums.:bow:

Barkhorn1x
09-10-2010, 18:21
Wellcome back Barkhorn1x and Obadiah!Nice to see more old Orgah´s returning to the forums.:bow:

Thank you sir - I have been lurking as of late, keeping up to date on developments.

A Nerd
09-10-2010, 18:54
Looking for the silver lining, I see this: naval battles will interact with shoreline defenses. Isn't this something people were seriously hoping for in Empire, that attacking ports would cause land and sea forces to meet? (Or did I read something wrong?)

This would be great! I really hated all the naval battles in ETW being in the open sea! You were in the open sea even if the battle took place close to shore! I always thought that that was very lame!