PDA

View Full Version : New preview at the Escapist (campaign-oriented)

Martok
09-11-2010, 08:48
Link (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8097-Shogun-2-Total-War-Campaign-Preview)

Not a bad article. It sort of reads like an AAR, which is nice.

Kagemusha
09-11-2010, 14:47
Thanks for posting this Martok!:bow:

Gregoshi
09-11-2010, 16:33
Nice little write up. The taisho thwarted the geshia! I also got the impression you don't just make geshai (or ninjas) but "find" them but you can build stuff (gambling hall for geshia) that increase the chances.

Martok
09-11-2010, 17:33
@Kage: You're welcome! :bow:

Nice little write up. The taisho thwarted the geshia!
Yeah, I'll admit I found that bit encouraging. Geisha were the one unit/agent that were undeniably overpowered in the original game, and I'm glad to see they're apparently no longer the automatic assassination machines that they were in STW.

I also got the impression you don't just make geshai (or ninjas) but "find" them but you can build stuff (gambling hall for geshia) that increase the chances.
Yeah, I found that interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about that (being unable to train/recruit them), especially with ninjas (I can live with the geisha only being periodically available), but we'll just have to wait and see how this mechanic actually works in-game.

A Nerd
09-11-2010, 17:41
The campaign seems to have some sort of plot you can interact with and mold as you make decisions and change your unit charactaristics. Sounds like fun!

Monk
09-11-2010, 17:56
Call me a black hearted skeptic but I'm not buying this. Creativity is nice but in pre-release it only skews our perception of an already hard to pin down reality. This is the exact kind of thing that raised our hopes right before ETW and lead to disappointment, show me some screens and some gameplay footage to go along with your write up then maybe we can get somewhere. Until then, it feels very hard to link to something tangible.

Thanks for the post in any event, Martok. :bow:

Magyar Khan
09-11-2010, 19:37
sadly monk is right.... but whats a life without hope.... in a way CA doenst learn much over the years in adressing our real needs, in a post where someone throws a stupid idea in i pray they dont read it, imagine they would implement it and say.... we did listen to the community... :o(

its ust in all these years i have not a single feeling there is a real contact between us and them....

Shigemasa Oyamada
09-11-2010, 21:14
Very interesting, although the way he puts character development makes it sound like a RPG...

Gregoshi
09-11-2010, 22:58
Actually, the one thing that bothered me about this campaign report is that there is no background on how the reporter got to play this campaign. The article with the campaign report just appears with no setup text to give it any context.